best amplifier for magnepan 3.7 speakers - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 129 Old 04-09-2014, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Post deleted by user to appease the moderators.

Derogatory terms like "analog bigot", "digiphobe", "internet eggspurts" have nothing to do with electrical engineering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 129 Old 04-09-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubObjective99 View Post

^ So that's what happens after decades of DBT.

I guess I need to throw you a bone to chew on. If you had written something with actual On Topic content lately I could figure out what you are passionate about.
post #123 of 129 Old 04-09-2014, 11:28 AM

Liked: 15
Post deleted by user to appease the moderators.

Derogatory terms like "analog bigot", "digiphobe", "internet eggspurts" have nothing to do with electrical engineering.
post #124 of 129 Old 04-09-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubObjective99 View Post

After years of lurking on this forum, I'm very passionate about your posts.

On a side note, I think you should take up JA's offer.

What offer was that?
post #125 of 129 Old 04-09-2014, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

So is it your intent to school me about amplifiers, given that I have a BS in Engineering (what my school gave out instead of BSEEs) , all but one course of a MS in Engineering, and tons of hands on experience with designing, building, and repairing amplifiers both audio and RF over the past 45 or more years?

I don't see where he even mentioned you in his post, but since you're assuming he was referring to you, why not respond to what he actually said instead of throwing out your qualifications? Formal education is great, but people can obviously learn about things they don't have a degree in.
post #126 of 129 Old 04-10-2014, 04:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post

Quote:

So is it your intent to school me about amplifiers, given that I have a BS in Engineering (what my school gave out instead of BSEEs) , all but one course of a MS in Engineering, and tons of hands on experience with designing, building, and repairing amplifiers both audio and RF over the past 45 or more years?

I don't see where he even mentioned you in his post, but since you're assuming he was referring to you, why not respond to what he actually said instead of throwing out your qualifications? Formal education is great, but people can obviously learn about things they don't have a degree in.

I was trying to avoid that because any reasonable evaluation of his claims would necessarily be very negative. Instead, I decided to target his implied criticism of other people's credentials. In fact there are a number of people here who have excellent credentials, both formal and informal.

I totally agree that being self-taught and taught via OJT can work out very well. Fact of the matter is that someone who is 50 years down the road from starting his university experience and still effective is at this point probably largely self taught and/or taught via OJT.

As I said and can and did easily document, the post I responded to seemed to rest its claims almost entirely on formal education. IMO the perp was playing a pretty poor hand. ;-)
CruelInventions likes this.
post #127 of 129 Old 04-10-2014, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 89
"IMO the perp was playing a pretty poor hand. ;-)"

He even dropped his cards when he mentioned things like:

" 'mid fi' Class AB amp that either can't quite put ut the Amps or doesn't have that magical high-end amp purity to it..."

"(If you enjoy this as a hobby find a place to try a 50 or even 30 watt SET tube amp - and I'm not saying to buy it or that it is even 'better' - but give it a listen. It might open some ideas or new understanding of amps and music"
post #128 of 129 Old 04-10-2014, 05:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Derks View Post

"IMO the perp was playing a pretty poor hand. ;-)"

He even dropped his cards when he mentioned things like:

" 'mid fi' Class AB amp that either can't quite put ut the Amps or doesn't have that magical high-end amp purity to it..."

"(If you enjoy this as a hobby find a place to try a 50 or even 30 watt SET tube amp - and I'm not saying to buy it or that it is even 'better' - but give it a listen. It might open some ideas or new understanding of amps and music"

+1.

I'm amazed that someone who has the education that he says he has can be so thoroughly mislead.

I was toying with the idea that it was an intentional provocation.
post #129 of 129 Old 04-10-2014, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:

I'm amazed that someone who has the education that he says he has can be so thoroughly mislead.

Sometimes it is that the person is selling something, and has something to gain by promoting a particular set of beliefs. In such cases, it may be either dishonest, or the person may have been able to delude themselves to conform to self-interest. Many people have a remarkable ability to deceive themselves and to form beliefs that suit them, rather than have any relationship with evidence or reality. Indeed, many people are taught that evidence is unnecessary, and that believing without it is a virtue. For anyone interested in that concept, see this.

Sometimes it is a sign that people can get degrees without really ever understanding the basics of what they are supposed to know. Often, people understand a tiny sliver and are unable to apply the fundamental principles to other areas of thought, even when they are closely related. And, of course, an understanding of electronics does not entail an understanding of human psychology, and so one may have no idea about the placebo effect and its importance and relevance to auditioning equipment.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

Tags
Magnepan Mg 3 7 , Marantz Mm8077 Power Amplifier , Marantz Av8801
Gear in this thread - Av8801 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page