Amp or receiver reccomendation - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 11-08-2013, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

Not really a dream system post here, but my research is failing me in trying to solve this problem.

My current set up is the Yamaha 65w receiver I got for my 15th birthday in 1991. It still works but the buttons are beginning to perform unintended functions so I want to replace it. A long time ago I got these older Jensen 3152 speakers that are rated 80 watts 220 peak. Not great by any means, but I remember they were alright enough when I heard them back then. The 65w receiver wouldn't push them at all, and I had no real need for a new receiver so they've been in storage ever since.

Nowadays I have the room for the cabs and the need for a new amp/receiver but not a huge budget. Can anyone recommend a 2ch receiver or amp that would push these, primarily for Vinyl and CD's?

I saw this new Yamaha R-S201BL bare bones receiver and it seems perfect for the setup I want (and cheap), but I don't know if it would push the speakers. I'm also interested in a receiver over an amp because I listen to a lot of radio. Is there such a thing as a standalone tuner that I can pair with a stronger amp.

Sorry about the noob questions. the wattage issue perplexes me.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-08-2013, 10:40 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 805
That should work fine for you.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-08-2013, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
I saw this new Yamaha R-S201BL bare bones receiver and it seems perfect for the setup I want (and cheap), but I don't know if it would push the speakers.
Should work just fine.
Quote:
Is there such a thing as a standalone tuner that I can pair with a stronger amp.
Yes, but on your budget a receiver is really the only option, and will work just fine.
Quote:
Sorry about the noob questions. the wattage issue perplexes me.
Ignore it. That wattage spec you quoted is utterly meaningless.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #4 of 11 Old 11-08-2013, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18

I'm very fond of vintage gear, so if I were looking for a receiver, I will certainly take a look at this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-SX780-AM-FM-Stereo-Receiver-/390692829283?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item5af71b7863

Pioneer receivers used to have great construction quality. The Yamaha has nothing to do against it... IMHO.

post #5 of 11 Old 11-08-2013, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick replies. Couple more questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus View Post

Ignore it. That wattage spec you quoted is utterly meaningless.

I gathered this from looking into it, but is it because those are 80's specs, or just because they just aren't true? Is not enough power not much of a concern now? These things also say they are "CD player ready..." which is hilarious and makes me worry they might not sound good.

Is the 200w receiver enough to power a decent set of floor speakers down the road?

Thanks again
post #6 of 11 Old 11-08-2013, 01:06 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 805
More than enough. The risk with old gear is that the capacitors could be near failure from old age and replacing them would likely cost more than the unit. I think your Yamaha idea is the way to go.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-08-2013, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post

More than enough. The risk with old gear is that the capacitors could be near failure from old age and replacing them would likely cost more than the unit. I think your Yamaha idea is the way to go.Fair enough. 

True FMW. This is certainly a risk. The Yamaha is a good option anyway, but on equal conditions, that Pioneer would be a much better bet.

post #8 of 11 Old 11-08-2013, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 429
This might be another good choice: http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTX8050/Onkyo-TX-8050-2-Channel-Network-Stereo-Receiver/1.html#!specifications

It has a DAC and networking, as well as a pre-out for a sub, just gives you a lot more options for essentially the same money.

Edit: I should also note this has a phono pre-amp.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
post #9 of 11 Old 11-08-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
I gathered this from looking into it, but is it because those are 80's specs, or just because they just aren't true? Is not enough power not much of a concern now?
It's not that they're untrue so much as they're kind of irrelevant. They appear to be maximums, but you could hook up an amp even larger than that with no problems unless you did something stupid with the volume control. If they listed a minimum amplifier power, that would be more useful. But the minimum recommendation for a speaker like that is liable to be no more than 10-20 watts.
Quote:
Is the 200w receiver enough to power a decent set of floor speakers down the road?
For most people, half that would be enough to drive most speakers likely to be within your budget.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #10 of 11 Old 11-10-2013, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by StVitus View Post

Hi,

My current set up is the Yamaha 65w receiver I got for my 15th birthday in 1991.

Wow! So have you been using it consistently all these years? I bought a 2ch Yamaha receiver that year, as well....I wonder if it was the same one. You sure got your money's worth out of that thing!
post #11 of 11 Old 11-10-2013, 07:59 PM

Hello... I second the vote for vintage Pioneer sx 780.all my gear is vintage . Sx 780 is a legend, get one and enjoy the music , also pickup Wharfdale W 60 d speakers a real nice 3 way speaker actually a Excellent speaker.the speakers are almost the main part of any system. I love tubes, and 70's gear. I start with 1946 up to 1980. The silver faced era.
Reply 2-Channel Audio