Help with figuring out HDMI > SACD conversion to PCM in BD player and receiver problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-16-2013, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I wasn't sure where to post this, but since it's mainly concerning 2-channel audio, I'll try here. I searched for any posts on this kind of thing, but didn't find anything about this in particular.

I have a peculiar setup of cheap AV stuff that actually can sound quite good -- IF I don't also need it to show nice video!

1) I have a cheap Sony Bluray player model BDP-S380 that plays SACD audio through its HDMI Out. Now, it does convert the DSD audio to 32-bit/176.4kHz PCM, but I'm just fine with that. It was cheap enough, so I got it as a second SACD player to go with the following....

2) I also have an older Panasonic SA-XR57 home theater receiver. It has surprisingly good sound quality. I was really surprised. It has one HDMI input and one HDMI output. Lousy sounding analog inputs, but really decent sounding DAC's (24-bit/192kHz capable) and amps.

Unfortunately, the receiver won't pass 1080p video from its HDMI In to its HDMI Out. It will pass lower-res video (720p, I guess). BUT, it will pass high-bit-sample rate PCM audio from its HDMI In to its HDMI Out.

If I want to use my Sony BD player to play an SACD through the receiver, I connect the BD player's HDMI Out to the HDMI In on the receiver. The receiver's display shows the bit-depth and sample rate as 24-bit/176.4kHz. SACD's sound great this way. CD's display on the receiver as playing at 16-bit/44.1kHz, as expected.

The problems start when I try to play a DVD or Bluray movie from the BD player to the receiver, sending the video from the receiver's HDMI Out to the HDMI In on my TV (1080p capable), using the same BD player setup/connections. The video gets completely messed up, with a pink hue and garbled image.

I was thinking of getting an HDMI Splitter, 1-In/2-Out. BD player HDMI Out would go to splitter HDMI In, then one HDMI Out from the splitter would go to the receiver's HDMI In, and the other HDMI Out from the splitter would go to the TV's HDMI In.

My question is, what HDMI revision level does this splitter need to be to be able to pass 24-bit/176.4kHz PCM audio data *and* 1080p video successfully? Is an HDMI 1.3-compliant splitter enough? HDMI 1.3a necessary? Or does it need to be HDMI 2.0-compliant? Or is all this completely beside the point?

I tried a few HDMI Audio Converters that took HDMI In and had toslink S/PDIF Out along with HDMI Out for the TV, and they completely messed up the video with little blue and red flecks, and a general graininess. Strangely enough, these converters all worked fine with an Xbox 360 or PS3 HDMI Out as the source, just not with my Sony BD player as the HDMI source.

This digital format stuff drives me completely insane.

If anybody has any ideas on what I might be doing wrong, I'd be most appreciative.

--

Hopelessly addicted to this stuff, but on a strict budget.
Snell Type C speakers
Homebrew DC-coupled, push-pull, 2A3 amp, Intact Audio volume control
RIAA preamp (similar to Arthur Loesch design) - Technics SL1200mk2- Denon DL160
Pioneer Elite PD-D6-J (CD, SACD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-16-2013, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 82
Hi Rongon,

I suspect that your receiver or TV is at fault.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rongon View Post

Unfortunately, the receiver won't pass 1080p video from its HDMI In to its HDMI Out.
HDMI was first released with the ability to support 1080p. I don't believe they could put the HDMI logo on it without it supporting 1080p.

Could there be a configuration problem in the receiver? A factory-reset might help. The pink hue sounds like a color-space issue, which might also be remedied with a factory-reset.

The same things could be said for the TV.

Or maybe the EDID data from the TV is confusing the receiver. It would not be the first time that a manufacturer screwed-up the EDID handshake. The problem is that you don't know if an EDID issue is in the TV or the receiver without swapping one of them out.

My advice would be to concentrate on the video issue between the TV and receiver, as that seems to be the source of your problems.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-16-2013, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHotchkiss View Post

Could there be a configuration problem in the receiver? A factory-reset might help. The pink hue sounds like a color-space issue, which might also be remedied with a factory-reset.

The same things could be said for the TV.

Or maybe the EDID data from the TV is confusing the receiver. It would not be the first time that a manufacturer screwed-up the EDID handshake. The problem is that you don't know if an EDID issue is in the TV or the receiver without swapping one of them out.

My advice would be to concentrate on the video issue between the TV and receiver, as that seems to be the source of your problems.

Thanks!

Do you think a firmware update for the TV might be needed? (I don't even know if that's possible, actually...) I updated the firmware on the BD player, hoping that would help, but it didn't.

Also, by factory reset, do you mean just reset the TV to its menu defaults? That's an option in the menu, easy enough to do.

--

Snell Type C speakers
post #4 of 6 Old 11-17-2013, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 250
I suggest that you get an OPPO BDP-103 and forget the Sony.

It is a much better player and should eliminate your problems.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-20-2013, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

That Oppo is 10X the price of the cheapie Sony. It had better kick the Sony's butt! I don't want to spend that kind of dough on a video player, though. I don't watch movies much. More of a stereo music person.

In the meantime, I did find that the receiver can be set to "DVD" for the HDMI In format, instead of the default "DVR". I don't know if that will make a difference, but I should get a chance to try it out again this weekend.

Snell Type C speakers
post #6 of 6 Old 11-23-2013, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Fixed it!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Believe it or not, it was a case of RTFM. It turns out that the HDMI Out format on the receiver is set by default to "DVR." It seems it has some kind of copy protection in that mode, which upset the TV' and ruined the picture. Changing the receiver's HDMI Out format setting to "DVD" allows its HDMI Out to pass 1080i video unscathed to the TV, while the receiver reports that SACD discs play PCM at a sample rate of 176.4kHz, which is what should be happening.

If I ever get a real Bluray movie disc I'll see if the old Panasonic receiver's HDMI Out can pass 1080p video from BD (internet posts suggest that it can't).

But for now, all is good.
--

Snell Type C speakers
Reply 2 Channel Audio

Tags
Sony Blu Ray Dvd Player Bdp S380
Gear in this thread - S380 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page