Basic Stereo setup that plays FLAC or XM radio? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 11-17-2013, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I can't sleep in silence, so I fire up the radio when I go to bed. I can't stand the **** they play or the talk ******** any more. I need something (preferably under $300) to either play my damn FLAC and MP3 files from a USB/whatever or maybe even something to pick up XM radio in the house. Looking for options ranging from cheap-$500. It's really irritating I can't find a simple boombox with a USB slot. I hate the idea of spending a lot just for a way to listen to decent music when I go to bed.

p.s. **** iPod docking. I have no interest in Apple anything or their proprietary codecs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-19-2013, 01:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Logitech Squeezebox Radio will do what you are looking for. Can be had for under 300.
post #3 of 13 Old 11-19-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Just understand that the Squeeze series is discontinued. I love my Touch, however.
post #4 of 13 Old 11-19-2013, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

Still some available. there's also Grace WiFi Radio.
post #5 of 13 Old 11-19-2013, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by acebreathe View Post

Still some available. there's also Grace WiFi Radio.

I have one of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00395ZQMK/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - works great for bedtime music. It has an internal timer so it shuts itself off. Same for my HK 3390 stereo receiver - timers are nice to have.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #6 of 13 Old 11-20-2013, 12:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

I have one of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00395ZQMK/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - works great for bedtime music. It has an internal timer so it shuts itself off. Same for my HK 3390 stereo receiver - timers are nice to have.
I have the Squeeze Radio and like it a lot but that unit of yours looks like it 's got some serious kick to it especially if you have it hooked up to the HK. Completely agree on the timers.
post #7 of 13 Old 11-30-2013, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Considering the obscene subscription rates on XM, I'm more looking for something to play from USB. I see these Onkyo receivers for $200-$250, but Onkyo stuff usually seems to piss me off in some way. I looked at those Bose Wave III things. How the **** are these things $500 and they don't even have USB? I'm not a bluetooth person. I don't have or want an iAnything to ****ing dock.
post #8 of 13 Old 11-30-2013, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Buy an AVR that comes with AirPlay. Some have wireless built in - the rest have LAN built in. You can get Pandora Vtuner and other internet radio sites that play music and more over the internet.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #9 of 13 Old 12-11-2013, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Something from Sonos could be the solution you're looking for. It can play your music via a USB stick plugged into your router, or from a NAS, or from your PC if you want to leave it on. Or you can have it play Pandora, or XM, or Rdio, or Spotify. Whatever you prefer, and then you have expansion options to the rest of your house if you want to expand the ecosystem. I started with one sonos unit, and now we have 4 throughout the house. It really is fantastic and works with whatever phone solution you like.
post #10 of 13 Old 12-11-2013, 02:27 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 758
The Grace Digital products are very cool. You can read my review of the Solo here.
post #11 of 13 Old 12-12-2013, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper187 View Post

I can't stand the **** they play or the talk ******** any more.

play my damn FLAC and MP3 files

p.s. **** iPod docking. I have no interest in Apple anything or their proprietary codecs

Considering the obscene subscription rates on XM

Onkyo stuff usually seems to piss me off

How the **** are these things $500

I don't have or want an iAnything to ****ing dock.

No offense intended, but.......
That is sure a lot of anger and hate for one person. You might want to switch to decaf or maybe just try to calm things down a bit. Can't be healthy for you.

By the way. Apple does not have any proprietary codecs. ALAC is open source. Maybe you mean the protection they put on files?
post #12 of 13 Old 12-12-2013, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper187 View Post

Considering the obscene subscription rates on XM, I'm more looking for something to play from USB. I see these Onkyo receivers for $200-$250, but Onkyo stuff usually seems to piss me off in some way. I looked at those Bose Wave III things. How the **** are these things $500 and they don't even have USB? I'm not a bluetooth person. I don't have or want an iAnything to ****ing dock.

Sonos Play 1. If you have a smartphone, use the app to play music from services like spotify and Sirius XM. I'm on a 2 month free trial of spotify premium right now and it is GREAT! Uninterrupted music (high quality files). It is usually 9.99 per month. If you didn't want the premium, they also have another unlimited streaming (without ads) option for $4.99 a month. For me, that beats XM. 

Living room: EMP Tek E55Ti (pair) / Yamaha RX-V475 / Sony BDP-S3100

Bedroom: EMP Tek E5Bi (pair) / Yamaha RX-V375 / JVC DVD player

Headphone equipment: Sennheiser HD 598 / PA2V2 headphone amp

post #13 of 13 Old 12-12-2013, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom White View Post

No offense intended, but.......
That is sure a lot of anger and hate for one person. You might want to switch to decaf or maybe just try to calm things down a bit. Can't be healthy for you.
LOL...good point.
Quote:
By the way. Apple does not have any proprietary codecs. ALAC is open source. Maybe you mean the protection they put on files?
To be fair, ALAC was only recently made available under the Apache license. Before that it was closed and proprietary. And popular lossy compression formats like AAC are encumbered, so...

For the OP: I have a cradle for my (Android) Samsung Galaxy phone that I use to charge it on my bedside table. It has a mini-TRS jack that can be used to feed a pair of powered speakers if I wanted to. There's even an Android app that can play MP3 files from any DLNA server. (DLNA doesn't do FLAC however.)

But if you want to get some restful sleep, you might want to look into something less stimulating, like one of those machines that makes ocean sounds. Don't knock it til you've tried it.

You get what you pay for.  For professional advice, pay the professional rate.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page