New guy asking for help: B&W 685 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-01-2013, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hey everyone, im new at this forum and this is my first thread, i dont know if i shouldve introduce myself on another part of the forum or this thread shoulnt be here so correct me if im wrong.

So i decided to get the best out of my gear and start learning everything i need to know about it. I have a pair of B&W 685 recieving sound from a Yamaha RX-V463. I want to know if this setup is correct or to get the best ouf the B&W i need to change de receiver. I use it mainly for dvds, cds, ipod music and apple tv.

Thanks

PS: Im from Argentina so my english is not so good.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-01-2013, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Those speakers have a sensitivity rating of 88 dB and a nominal impedance of 8 ohms (3.7 ohms minimum). This means almost any receiver/amp should be able to drive them to satisfactory levels in most rooms.

Of course I don't know anything specific about the size of your listening room or the levels at which you listen, but unless you've been driving your receiver's amp into clipping (meaning into obvious distortion), then changing receivers or amplifiers is unlikely to make any difference. Save the money for buying new music.
felipegce likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-05-2013, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Has there ever been any phase angle vs impedance published for these? Curious.
post #4 of 9 Old 12-15-2013, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 258
The problem is that the 685 is really a 4 ohm speaker.

Your receiver may handle two of them OK, but when you hook up 5 speakers it will not have enough drive current for all 5. It is not the kind of receiver I would choose for 4 ohm speakers.

There are really very very few speakers on the market that can be ACCURATELY labeled as "8 ohm" speakers.

The manufacturers call them that to sell them, but it is generally not appropriate.

Actually, the only receivers on the market that are really well-engineered to drive 4 ohm speakers are the Cambridge Audio and NAD receivers. They are the only ones I would recommend to anyone.

All of the OnkYamPion AVRs are junk by comparison, and that is why they can sell them for under $400.

If I were you I would seriously consider getting a NAD T748 receiver, which will drive them much better.

BTW---The power ratings on your receiver? They are a bad joke; ignore them.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-15-2013, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Commute View Post

B & K certainly have graphs of impedance vs f and phase angle vs f for all of their speakers.

The problem is finding out where they have them hidden.

If Stereophile ever did a review of that speaker model, they would be in the article.

The "Hi-Fi World" review has an impedance curve, but no phase curve. It shows a low of around 4-5 ohms in the upper bass and low midrange.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-15-2013, 09:43 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

Your receiver may handle two of them OK, but when you hook up 5 speakers it will not have enough drive current for all 5. It is not the kind of receiver I would choose for 4 ohm speakers.

There are really very very few speakers on the market that can be ACCURATELY labeled as "8 ohm" speakers.

The manufacturers call them that to sell them, but it is generally not appropriate.

Actually, the only receivers on the market that are really well-engineered to drive 4 ohm speakers are the Cambridge Audio and NAD receivers. They are the only ones I would recommend to anyone.

All of the OnkYamPion AVRs are junk by comparison, and that is why they can sell them for under $400.

If I were you I would seriously consider getting a NAD T748 receiver, which will drive them much better.

All nonsense from top to bottom.
beaveav likes this.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-15-2013, 05:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Commute View Post

No, but it appears that the 685 and CM5 use similar drivers in a similar sized vented box and so the CM5 impedance curve is probably darn close:

I've seen far worse sold as an 8 ohm speakers, but the dip near 4 ohms is real. This is not an exceptional tough speaker to drive by modern standards.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-15-2013, 05:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post

Quote:

All nonsense from top to bottom.

It surely lacks substantiation and follows a pattern for that poster. My conscience prevents me from inventing facts to support claims.

There is certainly nothing I can find in published reviews, spec sheets, etc. to support any of those claims.
beaveav likes this.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-15-2013, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:

B & K certainly have graphs of impedance vs f and phase angle vs f for all of their speakers.

The problem is finding out where they have them hidden.

If Stereophile ever did a review of that speaker model, they would be in the article.

The "Hi-Fi World" review has an impedance curve, but no phase curve. It shows a low of around 4-5 ohms in the upper bass and low midrange.

I think you mean B & W, not B & K (a different speaker company).

For every new thing I learn, I forget two things I used to know.
Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page