Poll: How much did you spend on amplification? - Page 5 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: How much did you spend on your amp? (whatever happens to drive your speakers, interated, avr, separa
0-300$ 11 8.66%
300-500$ 16 12.60%
500-750$ 19 14.96%
750-1000$ 19 14.96%
1000-2000$ 26 20.47%
2000- Dont even ask....... 36 28.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 127 Old 04-30-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 1051
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatroli View Post

Is there a difference in sound quality between your Musical Fidelity M6PRX and the Musical Fidelity M3i integrated amplifier you have for sale?

Yes there is.

To start with, the M6PRX amplifier is being driven by a $6000 Audio Research LS-26 preamp, which is one of the best-sounding I have ever heard.

Secondly, my Vandersteen Treo speakers are rather low-sensitivity speakers (84 db/watt), and need the 300 watts that the M6 puts out to drive them.

The M3i is an integrated amplifier, and a very good one. I used it with a pair of PSB Image T6 speakers, and the sound was very good.

At its price, $1500 originally, I don't think you can buy a much better-sounding amp, although Arcam and Naim also put out very good ones.

The M6PRX replaced a Bryston 3BSST amplifier, which was very good and had enough power for the Vandersteens, but the M6 clearly does sound a bit better.

The 3BSST2 amplifier, the latest version, is supposed to be better also, but I have not heard it yet.

My first reaction to the above post was "A lot of dollar signs for a post that is ostensibly about sound quality"...

If I had any doubts about the lack of correlation between asking prices and sound quality, they were resolved forever when I visited Stereophile's HE 2005 show.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 127 Old 04-30-2014, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Have you tried or listened to the 4Bsst2 ?
post #123 of 127 Old 05-01-2014, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

My first reaction to the above post was "A lot of dollar signs for a post that is ostensibly about sound quality"...

If I had any doubts about the lack of correlation between asking prices and sound quality, they were resolved forever when I visited Stereophile's HE 2005 show.

I think I answered the question asked regarding my opinions of the relative sound quality. Is a total of TWO dollar signs really "a lot"?

Experts in the field seem to agree that it is difficult, if not impossible, to evaluate products very well at audio shows, due to the lousy acoustics and crowded rooms; not to mention the demo music used. I have seen comments to this effect repeatedly in Stereophile and The Absolute Sound, as well as other respected publications.

But I guess you were able to rise above the obstacles that lesser mortals find daunting, and as usual formed an unshakable opinion despite the tremendous odds against doing so. wink.gif
post #124 of 127 Old 05-01-2014, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Eagle View Post

Have you tried or listened to the 4Bsst2 ?

I have not. I have heard some opinions to the effect that the 3B, in general, may sound a bit better for home system use than the 4B, but I have never had much chance to listen to any 4B.

I had the 3B-SST for four years, but not the SST2.

I thought for a long time that I did have the 3B-SST2, but when I went to sell it and checked the serial number and production date found that it had been produced just before the changeover, and the company I bought it from may have inadvertently misled me on exactly which I was buying. There was confusion on my part for a long time, in any case.
post #125 of 127 Old 05-01-2014, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I've had two versions of the 4B, the later being the sst2, to drive Thiel floor-standing speakers (the earlier 3.5s and now the 2.7s). The Thiels have a sensitivity of 87 db, with a nominal 4 ohm impedance, lowering to 2 ohms in the bass. I needed power to avoid clipping, and the 4Bs have provided that, as I play classical and organ music at realistic levels in a large living room. The 4Bs are spec'd at 500 watts per channel @ 4 ohms. I've been much more than happy with the performance of the 4Bs over the years. I started into hi-fi well before stereo, and built my own speakers for a while, stuffing Tannoy, JBL and Altec Lansing cones into both ported and infinite enclosures. I learned that inadequate power was a primary source of distortion. When I quit built DYI and switched to AR and ADS speakers, I found, in spades, that popper is the major determinant of undistorted reproduction. My motto?? Never skimp on power - - - and, the manufacturer's specs for power output might not cover the frequency range of your speakers.

The Brysrtons have a superb history of performing in the professional world as wells for home use.
post #126 of 127 Old 05-01-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

Experts in the field seem to agree that it is difficult, if not impossible, to evaluate products very well at audio shows, due to the lousy acoustics and crowded rooms; not to mention the demo music used. I have seen comments to this effect repeatedly in Stereophile and The Absolute Sound, as well as other respected publications.

I've been to a number of hi fi shows and noticed everything said above, in spades!

However there are always exceptions - demo rooms where considerable effort and expertise is effectively applied. Rule number one is ignore the trash and focus on the good.
Quote:
But I guess you were able to rise above the obstacles that lesser mortals find daunting, and as usual formed an unshakable opinion despite the tremendous odds against doing so. wink.gif

I've also visited the homes of numerous audiophiles with massive investments in high end audio. Again, some of them don't know what they are doing, but some do.
post #127 of 127 Old 05-01-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Eagle View Post

I've had two versions of the 4B, the later being the sst2, to drive Thiel floor-standing speakers (the earlier 3.5s and now the 2.7s). The Thiels have a sensitivity of 87 db, with a nominal 4 ohm impedance, lowering to 2 ohms in the bass. I needed power to avoid clipping, and the 4Bs have provided that, as I play classical and organ music at realistic levels in a large living room. The 4Bs are spec'd at 500 watts per channel @ 4 ohms. I've been much more than happy with the performance of the 4Bs over the years. I started into hi-fi well before stereo, and built my own speakers for a while, stuffing Tannoy, JBL and Altec Lansing cones into both ported and infinite enclosures. I learned that inadequate power was a primary source of distortion. When I quit built DYI and switched to AR and ADS speakers, I found, in spades, that popper is the major determinant of undistorted reproduction. My motto?? Never skimp on power - - - and, the manufacturer's specs for power output might not cover the frequency range of your speakers.

The Brystons have a superb history of performing in the professional world as wells for home use.

Fact is that most professionals are pretty pragmatic about how they budget their equipment expenses.

On the test bench and in carefully done listening tests Brystons aren't all that exceptional. They are good, transparent audio amps, nothing more and nothing less. Within their respective power ratings they are difficult to distinguish from good pro amps and AVRs.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page