question for arnyk - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 12-06-2013, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
planetpaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Trying to repost -- not showing up correctly... 
 
Hey arnyk, I've been trying to understand how you arrived at the numbers/conclusions below. I've had a real hard time finding any good, concise info online concerning speaker power handling at a given frequency and the dynamic range of speakers. Perhaps you could explain/expound on the below post. Thank you. 
 
 
originally posted by arnyk:

The Focus 160 is a fairly tiny mini-monitor:

86 dB/W sensitivity (moderately low efficiency)
7.9 x 13.8 x 11.6 inch (fits on even modest bookshelves)
17 cm LF driver (6.5 inch)

My dynamic range estimator gives the following results:

Freq,Hz Max SPL, DB

10 69
20 81
30 88
40 93
50 97
60 100
70 103
80 105
90 107
100 109
130 114

These speakers are capable of producing a moderately loud output (100 dB) only down to 60 Hz.
Below 70 Hz, even a 50 wpc power amp could possibly overdrive them.
If you wanted to use them with a 100 wpc (typical AVR) WPC amplifier you would have to cross them over around 80 Hz to protect them from excessive power and audible distortion.

In all seriousness, unless these are only for night time use, or use in a tiny apartment or dormitory with thin walls, they would need a subwoofer to be able to cover even just the narrowest possible view of the musical frequency spectrum (down to 43 Hz) at fairly tame sound levels (100 dB SPL).
 
 
planetpaul is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 4 Old 12-07-2013, 09:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,387
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planetpaul 
Hey arnyk, I've been trying to understand how you arrived at the numbers/conclusions below. I've had a real hard time finding any good, concise info online concerning speaker power handling at a given frequency and the dynamic range of speakers. Perhaps you could explain/expound on the below post. Thank you. 
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnyk 


The Focus 160 is a fairly tiny mini-monitor:


86 dB/W sensitivity (moderately low efficiency)


17 cm LF driver (6.5 inch)


My dynamic range estimator gives the following results:


Freq,Hz Max SPL, DB


10 69
20 81
30 88
40 93
50 97
60 100
70 103
80 105
90 107
100 109
130 114


These speakers are capable of producing a moderately loud output (100 dB) only down to 60 Hz.

Below 70 Hz, even a 50 wpc amplifier could possibly overdrive them.

If you wanted to use them with a 100 wpc (typical AVR) WPC amplifier you would have to cross them over around 80 Hz to protect them from excessive power and audible distortion.


In all seriousness, unless these are only for night time use, or use in a tiny apartment or dormitory with thin walls, they would need a subwoofer to be able to cover even just the narrowest possible view of the musical frequency spectrum (down to 43 Hz) at fairly tame sound levels (100 dB SPL).

XLS spread sheet:

speakerdrivermaxspl.xls 21k .xls file
Attached Files
File Type: xls speakerdrivermaxspl.xls (20.5 KB, 15 views)
arnyk is offline  
post #3 of 4 Old 12-08-2013, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
planetpaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Thank you. Now I get it. Saved me hours of wading through the unrelated and misinformed.

 

IMO, taking the time to understand this spreadsheet and it's implications before buying gear would prevent many surprises and much dissatisfaction. 

 

Flat to 42 HZ doesn't mean squat. 110 db at 42 HZ, now we're talking,

planetpaul is offline  
post #4 of 4 Old 12-08-2013, 05:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,387
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetpaul View Post

Thank you. Now I get it. Saved me hours of wading through the unrelated and misinformed.

IMO, taking the time to understand this spreadsheet and it's implications before buying gear would prevent many surprises and much dissatisfaction. 

Flat to 42 HZ doesn't mean squat. 110 db at 42 HZ, now we're talking,

Precisely. I love when a plan comes together! ;-)
arnyk is offline  
Reply 2-Channel Audio

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off