post #31 of 32 Old 12-20-2013, 07:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGibby View Post

For the people who don't think DACs make any difference, do you think the same thing about an amplifier?

You are asking black/white questions in a shades-of-gray world.

DACs do make a difference or not depending on which DACs you are talking about, and the same thing applies to amplifiers. Twenty years ago the odds were more in favor of the DACs sounding different, but these days the odds more favor the amplifiers sounding different. If you restrict yourself to equipment that is well designed in accordance with modern audio engineering standards the odds of either sounding different are slim and none.
Quote:
For example, replacing some budget type capacitors to something like Mundorfs. Does this not make any difference?

I hate to sound like a broken record, but again it all depends on the application. Both the idea that capacitor upgrades always improve sound quality, and the idea that capacitor upgrades never improve sound quality are equally incorrect.
Quote:
Or, upgrading a speaker x-over with high end components? Does this make any difference?

Sorry about this, but it all depends on the technical details of the situation. Furthermore not all differences are positive just because expensive parts were swapped in, even if they are audible.

Some audiophiles seem to believe that all engineers are cheapskates who take every last cent out of every product they design.They claim over and over that wall-to-wall parts upgrades to equipment using parts with magic brand names and irrational prices are a divinely appointed lifetime guaranteed recipe for improved sound quality. They base their evaluations of what they do on the worst kinds of listening tests - tests that are virtually guaranteed to produce maximum ego satisfaction regardless of the technical details of the situation. Back in the real world...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 32 Old 12-21-2013, 08:06 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Section 107 View Post

As someone who appreciates (and has been helped by) fact-based commentary, I do hope you'll reconsider.

Thank you, sir. If I helped someone, then I'm pleased. I think the only way to say things on an internet forum is to always modify the plain bare truth. In my opinion, most but not all, probably and things like that don't seem to assault peoples' sensitivities. As soon as someone says something straight up, somebody gets pain from the words. I don't understand the sentiment personally because I always prefer the unvarnished truth. I think if I have to varnish it, I'd rather just not say it in the first place. I do have a blog site and I'm going to write my unvarnished truth there. After I've finished some of it, I'll let you know and you can read it there. I sincerely appreciate your post.
Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page