Matching Martin Logan aeon amplifier - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-28-2013, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been using in bi-amp mode a nad 3300 and 2100. I was wondering if there is a better amplification for less than $1000 that I should consider and that would provide a significant difference. I am not trying to get an upgrade for the sake of spending money. I am using Martin Logan aeon. Thank you,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-28-2013, 10:13 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdepret View Post

I have been using in bi-amp mode a nad 3300 and 2100. I was wondering if there is a better amplification for less than $1000 that I should consider and that would provide a significant difference. I am not trying to get an upgrade for the sake of spending money. I am using Martin Logan aeon. Thank you,

Significant difference in what? Guessing that you mean sound quality then the answer is no. You are trying to upgrade just for the sake of spending money.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-28-2013, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your answer. Yes , I was asking about sound quality difference and i am not interested in upgrading for the sake of spending money. Thank you again,
post #4 of 8 Old 12-29-2013, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 243
The NAD gear you have is probably better than anything you can get for under $2000 in a separate amp and preamp. It is not too bad.

On the other hand, for $1500 you can get a Musical Fidelity M3i integrated amplifier, which I know from personal experience has a clearer more musical sound quality than the NAD gear. Been there, done that.

It is a cut above anything else in its price class IMO for sonic purity and listening to well-recorded music (although Arcam is right up there too).

You have some very fine speakers there and one of the better integrated amplifiers would really help them to perform a lot better. The NAD gear is fairly good, but not really in the same sonic class as the speakers.

They don't need a huge amount of power, and the M3i has close to 100 watts at 4 ohms.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-29-2013, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your message. This is exactly the information I was looking for. As I was not looking to invest $1500 or so in an amplifier and although I heard great things about musical fidelity, would you advise to go for used material such as accuphase or mcintosch? Thank you again.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-30-2013, 05:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 1047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdepret View Post

Relevant parameters include how far you sit from the speakers in your preferred listening position, and what average and peak SPLs you listen at.

With 89 dB/W sensitivity and rated for "4, 6, or 8" ohm speakers, your Aeon's aren't particularly tough loads.

60 wpc isn't a lot of power. Your speakers can handle much more power if it is required by your listening preferences.

If you don't have a SPL meter with a peak hold facility - they are easy enough to obtain, for example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/8928-Decibel-Meter-Digital-Accurate-Sound-noise-pressure-Level-tester-40-130-db-/271167212819

Just put it where you sit and punch a few buttons, listen to some music as loud as you like, and read the digits and post them...
post #7 of 8 Old 12-30-2013, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

The room is about 500 sqf and the typical listening distance is about 10 -12 ft from the speakers. Depending on the source and the type of music the volume button is between 1/3 and 1/2. I use the two amps in vertical bi amp and was advised not to bridge them. I am happy but provided the age of the amps I was wondering if there is a better solution at a reasonnable cost. Thank you for your time and expertise.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-30-2013, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
The room is about 500 sqf and the typical listening distance is about 10 -12 ft from the speakers. Depending on the source and the type of music the volume button is between 1/3 and 1/2. I use the two amps in vertical bi amp and was advised not to bridge them. I am happy but provided the age of the amps I was wondering if there is a better solution at a reasonnable cost.
Given what you've described, there probably isn't a better solution even at unreasonable cost. You have enough power. You're fine.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page