Suggestions for floor standing under 10k - Page 2 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 60 Old 01-07-2014, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
EDIT: Nevermind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 60 Old 01-07-2014, 08:29 PM

If you're open to buying used, look at Sonus Faber Cremona M on a'gon. They're very warm, and really shine with vocals. One of the most musical set of speakers I've heard.
You'll need good power to drive them.
As for Subs, a good match would be REL T7 or T9.
post #33 of 60 Old 01-08-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 1792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty3258 View Post

Thank you very much for the information and suggestions on speakers as well as the links. Are the motion 40's really that bad? I listed them because they are the best speakers i have gotten to demo so far. I'm not against a dynamic tweeter at all so long as it gives an airy presentation, and from what i have read so far it merely sounded like ribbon tweeters did that better but what do I know? As far as electrostatics, i really do like the their presentation and speed. My concern with them however is their small  sweet spot and positioning them. I made a small list for a general example of what i listen to in my first post but i listen to female vocals the most, and love acoustical work and strings when all the small details come out and you can hear and feel the bow sliding across the strings. I do not, and have not ever had a nice system but for anyone who may be familiar with some headphones i own the sennheiser HD598's and really enjoy their signature.

P.S. Arial Acoustics 6t or Salk Soundscape 8's?

Smart of you to avoid the electrostatics. I love the sound and look but you are on target about the placement.

No, the Motion 40's are not that bad at all. If you like them, go with them. At the available budget you can afford others.

The Ariel 6T is a beautiful speaker, no reason to not go with that if you like them. Considering the success of the 7T I'dbe comfortable to buy those blind at 6 grand if I were in the market.

Speakers are a very personal choice.

I am not familiar with the Salk but AVS in general seems to love them. At 8 grand you are way over budget but I am sure the sound is light years different than the 40's you like. I personally don't like them aesthetically and that is always part of the equation for me. If they look awesome to you and you have the cash, I'd make them my first pick just because of all I have read on them.

You have gone from 2 grad speakers to 8 grand speakers. I have to laugh, I do the same thing.

If I had to buy something for you, that stayed in this budget I'd get you these, http://www.dali-speakers.com/en-US/News/Reviews-Awards.aspx?PID=7075&Action=1&NewsId=828#.Us22Tp5dW-M

They are $6,500. I don't think there is a better sound on the market below this price. It has your ribbons and I do think with what you like to listen to they are the way to go.
Here is the marketing spec sheet.
http://www.dali-us.com/en-US/Loudspeakers/MENTOR-8.aspx

It is a PERFECT match with the amp I recommended. This with a strong sub is just flat out exciting to think about.

SVS just introduced new products today and I saw a sub that is perfect for you. I already order it for myself. tongue.gif

I;ll wait for your feedback then post about a possible sub substitution from my original recommendation. .

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #34 of 60 Old 01-08-2014, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

The parasound preamp and amp combo would be awfully nice for a 2 channel setup. If you like the Martin Logan Motion 40's, try going to the big Martin Logan electrostatic speakers. A pair of Ethos with the P5 and A21 would be a great 2 channel setup. The Ethos has dual 8" powered woofers, so you would be covered on bass. As you can see, this hobby is very subjective, everyone likes something different. The best advice is that if you like the way something sounds, then buy it. It doesn't matter what everyone else likes, you listen to it at the end of the day and if you like what you hear, it could be a pair of $200 bookshelves that sound best to you. The Motion 40's are good, but not everyone's cup of tea.

Theater design at Audio Video Interiors of Chicago, Inc.

Right across from the Oakbrook Center Mall.

Noah B.

post #35 of 60 Old 01-08-2014, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post

Smart of you to avoid the electrostatics. I love the sound and look but you are on target about the placement.

No, the Motion 40's are not that bad at all. If you like them, go with them. At the available budget you can afford others.

The Ariel 6T is a beautiful speaker, no reason to not go with that if you like them. Considering the success of the 7T I'dbe comfortable to buy those blind at 6 grand if I were in the market.

Speakers are a very personal choice.

I am not familiar with the Salk but AVS in general seems to love them. At 8 grand you are way over budget but I am sure the sound is light years different than the 40's you like. I personally don't like them aesthetically and that is always part of the equation for me. If they look awesome to you and you have the cash, I'd make them my first pick just because of all I have read on them.

You have gone from 2 grad speakers to 8 grand speakers. I have to laugh, I do the same thing.

If I had to buy something for you, that stayed in this budget I'd get you these, http://www.dali-speakers.com/en-US/News/Reviews-Awards.aspx?PID=7075&Action=1&NewsId=828#.Us22Tp5dW-M

They are $6,500. I don't think there is a better sound on the market below this price. It has your ribbons and I do think with what you like to listen to they are the way to go.
Here is the marketing spec sheet.
http://www.dali-us.com/en-US/Loudspeakers/MENTOR-8.aspx

It is a PERFECT match with the amp I recommended. This with a strong sub is just flat out exciting to think about.

SVS just introduced new products today and I saw a sub that is perfect for you. I already order it for myself. tongue.gif

I;ll wait for your feedback then post about a possible sub substitution from my original recommendation. .

I have to say those Dali's look really nice. Will be reading up on those for sure. I also looked at the new svs and if they can preform as well as the graphs and specs suggest i will surly pick up at least one :) I am slightly curious though as they appear to outperform their flagship subs both in output and extension. My only real concern with spending 6k+ on a pair of towers is that when i auditioned a few speakers in the $500 to $1500 dollar range, as that is the top end line my local hifi store and really it seemed like they were just different sound signatures. Granted they were by no means ideally set up but I liked the $500 polks over the $1500 def tech.

post #36 of 60 Old 01-09-2014, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Heard the 6T at Michael Kelly's first demo back in November. Unlike the older Aerial models the T line is easier to run. Mr. Kelly stated at the demo you would need just 100 wpc to run them. W/sub you'll come pretty close to the $10,000 7T. If you want to see the 6T go to Audio Video Therapy and check out the Facebook page of Michael Kelly's demo.smile.gif
post #37 of 60 Old 01-09-2014, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post

Heard the 6T at Michael Kelly's first demo back in November. Unlike the older Aerial models the T line is easier to run. Mr. Kelly stated at the demo you would need just 100 wpc to run them. W/sub you'll come pretty close to the $10,000 7T. If you want to see the 6T go to Audio Video Therapy and check out the Facebook page of Michael Kelly's demo.smile.gif

link please

thanks

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #38 of 60 Old 01-09-2014, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 63
You can go to pg 36 post #1067 on the Aerial Thread on the speaker forum for a picture or go to Audio Video Therapy website for the pictures of Octoberfest..smile.gif
post #39 of 60 Old 01-09-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18

Speakers are a matter of personal taste. Period.

Nevertheless, with due respect for other brands, I would recommend only these brands, which IMO are the best regardless of the series/price tag:

Dynaudio, Thiel, Vandersteen, Revel, Sonus Faber and Dali.

post #40 of 60 Old 01-09-2014, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post

You can go to pg 36 post #1067 on the Aerial Thread on the speaker forum for a picture or go to Audio Video Therapy website for the pictures of Octoberfest..smile.gif

I did, could not find it, forget it

you could not pay me to click on a link to see it now

post #41 of 60 Old 01-09-2014, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 79
As above, I must say that I was a bit disappointed by the Aerial speakers. I had read about them for years and last year finally got some demo time.
I was fortunate to have the 7t model w/ Classe' and Mark Levinson gear, still disappointed. It could have been the room...
post #42 of 60 Old 01-09-2014, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Check out Usher Audio, superb value for money, does not hurt that it looks pretty too. For subwoofers, Check out Rythmik Audio Servo controlled subs. I use this combo and have not upgraded in years smile.gif

Other brands to check out would be Sonus Faber, Dali, Proac
post #43 of 60 Old 01-09-2014, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 62
There are a lot of very solid choices in your price range. I recently got a great deal on some used Aerial 7t's and am extremely pleased with how they sound in my room. If the 6t's have a similar sound I think that would be a no brainier. I also have some Dynaudio contours in another system that are very good. One thing I learned while auditioning speakers over the last 30 years is that good speakers can sound very bad in the wrong room or setup incorrectly.

post #44 of 60 Old 01-26-2014, 07:00 PM

Definitely look for a used pair of speakers. I was able to find a pair of lightly used Klipsch Palladium P-39F floorstanders that retailed for $20k right in your budget. Deals are out there.
post #45 of 60 Old 02-15-2014, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Well after much research on these speakers, hopefully at the end of march I will listen to the salk soundscape 8's. If there are any suggestions on a 300w per channel amp or receiver I am having some trouble finding that high of an output.

post #46 of 60 Old 02-16-2014, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 58
2 channel? Your orignal post talked about a maratntz 7.2 reciever. For 2 channel I'd look at the HK 990 integrated. 300 watts @ 4 ohms. It can be had for around 1999 new, or refurbs from HK at 999.

Jim's website quotes recommended amplification of 100-250 watts, his speakers are usually easy to drive.
post #47 of 60 Old 02-16-2014, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post

2 channel? Your orignal post talked about a maratntz 7.2 reciever. For 2 channel I'd look at the HK 990 integrated. 300 watts @ 4 ohms. It can be had for around 1999 new, or refurbs from HK at 999.

Jim's website quotes recommended amplification of 100-250 watts, his speakers are usually easy to drive.

Yeah, just 2 channel. At first I thought that I wanted a surround system but after a while I came to find that a 2 channel setup with more invested into the mains suits my useage better. I talked to someone at salk, and they recommended an amp with 300w. Not that they would need it, just when the speakers surge for extra power for an instant, he said it should eliminate distortion that could be caused due to lack of power.

post #48 of 60 Old 02-16-2014, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, just 2 channel. At first I thought that I wanted a surround system but after a while I came to find that a 2 channel setup with more invested into the mains suits my useage better. I talked to someone at salk, and they recommended an amp with 300w. Not that they would need it, just when the speakers surge for extra power for an instant, he said it should eliminate distortion that could be caused due to lack of power.

Yea, that's what I do, 2 channel. I have no interest in surround sound. I do use an AVR though, just for cost benefit and it does have some features you can't find in a normal 2 channel integrated. That's what I like about the HK 990, it has room correction and bass management capabillity should you at some point add a sub, although with the SS8, a sub is not really required, but you might get some added sonic benefit from room correction in a less than ideal room. You might ask Frank from Van Alstine, who works closely with Jim. Most of Jim's shows use Frank's equipment. Ask him what he'd use to drive the SS8.

Going from your original post stating a 10K budget, you have 2k left. Not many options in that range that provide 300W at 4 ohms.
post #49 of 60 Old 02-16-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yea, that's what I do, 2 channel. I have no interest in surround sound. I do use an AVR though, just for cost benefit and it does have some features you can't find in a normal 2 channel integrated. That's what I like about the HK 990, it has room correction and bass management capabillity should you at some point add a sub, although with the SS8, a sub is not really required, but you might get some added sonic benefit from room correction in a less than ideal room. You might ask Frank from Van Alstine, who works closely with Jim. Most of Jim's shows use Frank's equipment. Ask him what he'd use to drive the SS8.

Going from your original post stating a 10K budget, you have 2k left. Not many options in that range that provide 300W at 4 ohms.

Found this one (Krell) on sale:

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-2390-krell-s-300i-integrated-amp.aspx
post #50 of 60 Old 02-16-2014, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yeah, darn that budget anyways... haha. A very small part of me wishes that I don't fall in love with them because I will most likely end up a little over budget. But I don't have a spouse to make angry so thats a plus. :)

post #51 of 60 Old 02-18-2014, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yeah, darn that budget anyways... haha. A very small part of me wishes that I don't fall in love with them because I will most likely end up a little over budget. But I don't have a spouse to make angry so thats a plus. :)

Found a few good options for amps now.

post #52 of 60 Old 02-19-2014, 03:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Found a few good options for amps now.

That's good, what are they?
post #53 of 60 Old 02-19-2014, 02:33 PM

Liked: 35
My $10k 2.2 system would consist of...

Pair of Revel F208s
An HK990
Pair of Rythmik F15HPs

The HK990 is really quite a cleverly placed product which suits your requirements down to the ground.

There are a couple of pieces of information missing tho...
1) What is the room size?
2) What are your listening habits? (volume expectations)
post #54 of 60 Old 02-19-2014, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avgass View Post

My $10k 2.2 system would consist of...

Pair of Revel F208s
An HK990
Pair of Rythmik F15HPs

The HK990 is really quite a cleverly placed product which suits your requirements down to the ground.

There are a couple of pieces of information missing tho...
1) What is the room size?
2) What are your listening habits? (volume expectations)

He already made his speaker decision.

He is asking about amps now.

post #55 of 60 Old 02-19-2014, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by wstrickland1 View Post

Definitely look for a used pair of speakers. I was able to find a pair of lightly used Klipsch Palladium P-39F floorstanders that retailed for $20k right in your budget. Deals are out there.

That's awesome! What are you powering your P39s with? I came across an excellent deal on a pair of P38s, currently hooked up to a 6 year old Yamaha RX-V663, but I know the speakers are asking for more power. I'm a complete newb on audio….thanks

650cc on the track
1000 cc on the street
800cc on the snow
post #56 of 60 Old 02-19-2014, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

van alstine fett valve 600r is what i have settled on for an amp, well souldn't say settled. I am speaking with frank on a proper set up.

post #57 of 60 Old 02-20-2014, 03:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

van alstine fett valve 600r is what i have settled on for an amp, well souldn't say settled. I am speaking with frank on a proper set up.

Great Choice!
post #58 of 60 Old 02-20-2014, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Great Choice!

why?

post #59 of 60 Old 02-22-2014, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceptorman View Post

That's awesome! What are you powering your P39s with? I came across an excellent deal on a pair of P38s, currently hooked up to a 6 year old Yamaha RX-V663, but I know the speakers are asking for more power. I'm a complete newb on audio….thanks

McIntosh C2500 pre-amp with a MC275 tube amp. Very sweet.
post #60 of 60 Old 02-22-2014, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by wstrickland1 View Post

McIntosh C2500 pre-amp with a MC275 tube amp. Very sweet.

The MC275 was recently recommended to me. It seems Klipsch speakers and tube amps are an excellent pair.

650cc on the track
1000 cc on the street
800cc on the snow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page