NEW HARMON KARDON 2 CHANNEL RECEIVERS - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 01-12-2014, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
bigcam406's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
just received an email from HK,2 new receivers available for pre order.the 3700 170 watt network receiver and the 3770,240 watt network receiver.dont know when they're going to be available as of yet,but you can preorder.just thought i'd share.....
bigcam406 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 01-13-2014, 03:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
glangford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,785
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 51
These would appear to be the replacements for the long running 3390 and 3490 recievers. The new ones are 85 and 120 wpc. Same apparent specs with some improved streaming and connectivity options. The 3490 has been a workhorse, I'm sure it's replacement will as well. Now if they had just put room correction in it like the 990, I'd be sold for my 2 channel setup.
glangford is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 01-13-2014, 04:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,381
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcam406 View Post

just received an email from HK,2 new receivers available for pre order.the 3700 170 watt network receiver and the 3770,240 watt network receiver.dont know when they're going to be available as of yet,but you can preorder.just thought i'd share.....

The detailed info is here:

http://www.harmankardon.com/images/media/HK_3700_SS_EN.pdf

I'm sure the dealers love these because of the > AVR prices for < AVR value. They schlep people into them based on simplicity and questionable claims about amplifier sound quality, and then thepeople are back looking for the missing features in a year or two or sooner. Can we all say "niche market".?
arnyk is offline  
post #4 of 16 Old 01-13-2014, 06:02 AM
Senior Member
 
Badouri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 56
http://www.harmankardon.com/images/media/HK_3770_SS_EN.pdf

Weight:6kg so i would guess they now use a switching power supply. No "pre out / main in".

3770

3490
Badouri is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 01-13-2014, 06:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,381
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badouri View Post

http://www.harmankardon.com/images/media/HK_3770_SS_EN.pdf

Weight:6kg so i would guess they now use a switching power supply. No "pre out / main in".

I searched the web for pix of the internals, no dice.

I think that they can do a 120 watts per channel, two channels driven @ 6/8 ohms, 20Hz – 20kHz, <0.07% THD with a regular iron transformer at that weight. A swtich mode supply would cut weight to about half that. Their target market is probably too conservative for a swtichmode anything.

For example the Behringer NU DSP 1000 does 160/320/520 WPC at 8/4/.2 ohms and weighs only 3.1 KG.

http://www.behringer.com/assets/NU1000_NU3000_NU6000_NU12000_NU1000DSP_NU3000DSP_NU6000DSP_NU12000DSP_WebBrochure.pdf
arnyk is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 01-13-2014, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Knucklehead90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: State of Confusion - 98823
Posts: 7,367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post

These would appear to be the replacements for the long running 3390 and 3490 recievers. The new ones are 85 and 120 wpc. Same apparent specs with some improved streaming and connectivity options. The 3490 has been a workhorse, I'm sure it's replacement will as well. Now if they had just put room correction in it like the 990, I'd be sold for my 2 channel setup.
I agree. I think HK is missing the boat by not including room correction in these new receivers. And no DAC in the lower model -- WTH were they thinking?

I have had a 3390 in the bedroom setup for about 3-4 years. The only reason I replaced it with a Denon AVR was because of the bass management. I got tired of hearing that 60-75hz peak resonating all round the room. The Denon 1713 killed that peak. The sound is much more balanced and the peaks are gone. I could not get rid of that with the HK's full range 'sub' jack. Dicking around with two dials on the sub won't cut the peaks. The AVR did the trick.

I have the HK990 in the living room. The job it did in integrating a single 12" sealed sub and speakers in my room was nothing short of awesome. As good as any AVR or processor I've used prior and I've had my share of Audyssey XT and XT32 and YPAO machines.

In case you don't know HK is selling refurbished HK990s for a great price when you consider what some pay for separates - a DAC preamp and amp take up lots of real estate. And depending on what audio gear you're looking at you can save money by going the one box solution. I don't have the room in the audio rack for all that stuff. Been there - done that! A single box solution for me!

Some call the HK990 an expensive and unnecessary expense that a cheap AVR can easily match. But not many cheap AVRs can power my 4ohm speakers to my satisfaction. I've tried it and didn't like it. And thats the difference. But the choice is mine. Find fault with that if you like - I don't care.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Knucklehead90 is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 01-13-2014, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eljr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Futuristic London
Posts: 4,143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 1039
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

The detailed info is here:

http://www.harmankardon.com/images/media/HK_3700_SS_EN.pdf

I'm sure the dealers love these because of the > AVR prices for < AVR value. They schlep people into them based on simplicity and questionable claims about amplifier sound quality, and then thepeople are back looking for the missing features in a year or two or sooner. Can we all say "niche market".?

why pay for what you don't need?

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
eljr is online now  
post #8 of 16 Old 01-13-2014, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
bigcam406's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
agreed
bigcam406 is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 01-14-2014, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
commsysman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,270
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 253
B & H Photo still has some 3390 receivers available for $240, but the 3490 is only available direct from Harman-Kardon's website at full price, $449.

Everyone else seems to be out of stock.
commsysman is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 01-14-2014, 09:00 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member
 
FMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post

why pay for what you don't need?[/quote

Because you don't have to. There are all kinds of AVRs for less money.
FMW is online now  
post #11 of 16 Old 01-14-2014, 10:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
arnyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 14,381
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

The detailed info is here:

http://www.harmankardon.com/images/media/HK_3700_SS_EN.pdf

I'm sure the dealers love these because of the > AVR prices for < AVR value. They schlep people into them based on simplicity and questionable claims about amplifier sound quality, and then thepeople are back looking for the missing features in a year or two or sooner. Can we all say "niche market".?

why pay for what you don't need?

Who says that you don't need it, or won't need it over the life of the product?

Besides, they want more money for less, even if you take the AVR and run just 2 channels.

Why pay more money for what you want?
Badouri likes this.
arnyk is offline  
post #12 of 16 Old 01-14-2014, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eljr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Futuristic London
Posts: 4,143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 1039
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post

why pay for what you don't need?

Because you don't have to. There are all kinds of AVRs for less money.

You need to learn to work the quotes.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
eljr is online now  
post #13 of 16 Old 01-14-2014, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eljr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Futuristic London
Posts: 4,143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 1039
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Who says that you don't need it, or won't need it over the life of the product?

Does not matter. If he does not want nor need it now, why have it?

Makes no sense to me.

I know it bugs me when I buy something and it has tons of stuff I don't need but am paying for.

and don't tell me the extra stuff is free, it's not. Nothing is free in this life.

on another note, I need your wisdom over in another thread concerning a sub hookup.

I'll post my question in a few.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
eljr is online now  
post #14 of 16 Old 01-14-2014, 12:58 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member
 
FMW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post

Does not matter. If he does not want nor need it now, why have it?

Makes no sense to me.

I know it bugs me when I buy something and it has tons of stuff I don't need but am paying for.

and don't tell me the extra stuff is free, it's not. Nothing is free in this life.

on another note, I need your wisdom over in another thread concerning a sub hookup.

I'll post my question in a few.

Because it costs less.
FMW is online now  
post #15 of 16 Old 01-14-2014, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
eljr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Futuristic London
Posts: 4,143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 1039
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post

Because it costs less.

You learned to use the quotes! Good stuff.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
eljr is online now  
post #16 of 16 Old 01-14-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Knucklehead90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: State of Confusion - 98823
Posts: 7,367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

B & H Photo still has some 3390 receivers available for $240, but the 3490 is only available direct from Harman-Kardon's website at full price, $449.

Everyone else seems to be out of stock.
Harman Audio has refurbished 3490's for less than that and it comes with the full 2 year warranty and includes shipping. The 3390 is not currently available refurbished or new on that site - doesn't mean they won't get more in though. They had the 3390 refurbished for $199 - pretty good deal IMO.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Knucklehead90 is offline  
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off