PARASOUND P5 PRE AMP - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

Old 08-19-2014, 02:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Can anyone (preferrably ex 2100 owners who have experienced channel imbalance) comment on the channel balance at lower volumes? I had two 2100 preamps and both had annoying channel imbalance at low levels. This was my main reason in switching back to the USP1, even though I liked the sound of the 2100 much more. I miss the sound ofmy 2100 and am wanting to upgrade to the P5 from my USP1, but I'm considering an XSP-1 for its digitally controlled volume control
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2014, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 171
I had both, the P5 and the XSP-1 Gen2 and decided to kept the P5 because the option of having two independent subwoofer in/out which is very important for me. The volume control in the P5 is fine for me and the analog bass management is really cool too. I don't use the P5's DAC because I have an Oppo 105D.

Best Regards,

Enrico Castagnetti
Rythmik Audio

My Multimedia Room Gallery

Old 08-21-2014, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just received the P5 I ordered. I'm replacing the Parasound 2100 and I think the P5 is a nice upgrade.

YMMV
Old 10-13-2014, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
I had both, the P5 and the XSP-1 Gen2 and decided to kept the P5 because the option of having two independent subwoofer in/out which is very important for me. The volume control in the P5 is fine for me and the analog bass management is really cool too. I don't use the P5's DAC because I have an Oppo 105D.

Thanks for the reply. So did the two pieces sound similar? I actually went with the Emotiva because of the dual balanced sub outs for my dual subs that are running off of a pro amp. But I am still curious about the P5 as I really liked the 2100. Would there be any sort of problem in using an xlr splitter from the P5's single xlr sub out to drive two channels of a pro amp for sub duty?
Old 10-23-2014, 02:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 26
The P5 doesn't work in bypass mode when the device is turned off? Can somebody confirm this. I thought it says it will be in bypass mode automatically when it is turned off.

Thanks,
TT
Old 10-23-2014, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Cool P5 Purchase

I guess I will find out for myself how good the P5 Sounds, I purchase a P5 a week ago with a set of new speakers. I made the purchase to separate my HT equipment (preamp). I will have the option to listen to music from a separate preamp that I'm hoping will produce a better music experience. The reviews that I have read on the unit go both ways but most are favorable. I too wanted ability to run analog and digital. The speakers are coming in from the east coast so one more week and its set up time. I'm a little worried about the wall outlet lots of equipment with only two outlets. May need to consider adding a dedicate outlet.

Home Theater HiFi (July, 2014)
"Calling the new Parasound Halo P 5 simply a preamplifier is an understatement."
"...to merely say it's a bargain competing with preamps costing many times more is not giving it enough praise."
"My advice is simple, just get one, I recommend it strongly!"

Stereo&Video (May, 2014)
"This amazing group of equipment best demonstrates the audio industry's present state of the art. This unit is absolutely state-of-the-art and technological to its core."

Home Theater Review (April, 2014)
"A feature-packed product with nearly everything the digital and analog audiophile could hope for all wrapped up in one pretty package. The P 5 does a wonderful job of resolving fine details in music... captures and delivers it wonderfully, with sumptuous richness and oodles of warmth... exceptional imagine and soundstage capabilities. Overall, I adore the ergonomics of the P 5, I love its twist knob input selector, I love its volume knob... I just adore touching the thing, to be quite frank about it. And with the vast bulk of my digital music collection, I simply adore listening to it."

Stereophile, April 2014
"Exceptional clarity. Exceptional dynamics. Neutral without being colorless. Very well made and complete for the price. What's not to like?...This is about as fine a $1095 preamp as I can imagine in 2014. Heartily recommended."

Hi-Fi Choice, April 2014
"The P 5 seemingly goes out of its way to throw up as much detail as it can... If you're looking for a 'Swiss Army Knife' of an audio product, this won't disappoint."
Review
Old 10-24-2014, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractng View Post
The P5 doesn't work in bypass mode when the device is turned off? Can somebody confirm this. I thought it says it will be in bypass mode automatically when it is turned off.

Thanks,
TT
When using the balanced outputs power is required for ht bypass. When using the unbalanced outputs ht bypass will work when unit is off.

Mike
Old 10-24-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmendrick View Post
When using the balanced outputs power is required for ht bypass. When using the unbalanced outputs ht bypass will work when unit is off.

Mike
Thank you. I called parasound and they told me the answer.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggin View Post
I guess I will find out for myself how good the P5 Sounds, I purchase a P5 a week ago with a set of new speakers. I made the purchase to separate my HT equipment (preamp). I will have the option to listen to music from a separate preamp that I'm hoping will produce a better music experience. The reviews that I have read on the unit go both ways but most are favorable. I too wanted ability to run analog and digital. The speakers are coming in from the east coast so one more week and its set up time. I'm a little worried about the wall outlet lots of equipment with only two outlets. May need to consider adding a dedicate outlet.

Home Theater HiFi (July, 2014)
"Calling the new Parasound Halo P 5 simply a preamplifier is an understatement."
"...to merely say it's a bargain competing with preamps costing many times more is not giving it enough praise."
"My advice is simple, just get one, I recommend it strongly!"

Stereo&Video (May, 2014)
"This amazing group of equipment best demonstrates the audio industry's present state of the art. This unit is absolutely state-of-the-art and technological to its core."

Home Theater Review (April, 2014)
"A feature-packed product with nearly everything the digital and analog audiophile could hope for all wrapped up in one pretty package. The P 5 does a wonderful job of resolving fine details in music... captures and delivers it wonderfully, with sumptuous richness and oodles of warmth... exceptional imagine and soundstage capabilities. Overall, I adore the ergonomics of the P 5, I love its twist knob input selector, I love its volume knob... I just adore touching the thing, to be quite frank about it. And with the vast bulk of my digital music collection, I simply adore listening to it."

Stereophile, April 2014
"Exceptional clarity. Exceptional dynamics. Neutral without being colorless. Very well made and complete for the price. What's not to like?...This is about as fine a $1095 preamp as I can imagine in 2014. Heartily recommended."

Hi-Fi Choice, April 2014
"The P 5 seemingly goes out of its way to throw up as much detail as it can... If you're looking for a 'Swiss Army Knife' of an audio product, this won't disappoint."
Review
I tested with AVR, P5, A21 & bluray on. The APC unit shows its about 3.5 amp (but I did not crank it loud since it was 1 am in the morning
Old 10-30-2014, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Parasound P5 Pre amp

Have one for about 9 months now and love it. Really a good sound and versatile. Previous phono pre was a Vincent but like to P5 better. Output to 2 tube amps -- Dynaco ST-70 and Transcendent OTL. Like the sub control -- don't need it for one pair of speakers (Klipsch forte's) but do on the Paradigm StudioV10's. The P5 is a real nice piece for the $$. Have not used the bypass in a HT set-up since this is dedicated to a 2 channel listening room. Highly recommend.