PARASOUND P5 PRE AMP - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
First ... 4  5  6 7  8 
2-Channel Audio > PARASOUND P5 PRE AMP
dannybenz's Avatar dannybenz 01:50 AM 08-19-2014
Can anyone (preferrably ex 2100 owners who have experienced channel imbalance) comment on the channel balance at lower volumes? I had two 2100 preamps and both had annoying channel imbalance at low levels. This was my main reason in switching back to the USP1, even though I liked the sound of the 2100 much more. I miss the sound ofmy 2100 and am wanting to upgrade to the P5 from my USP1, but I'm considering an XSP-1 for its digitally controlled volume control

enricoclaudio's Avatar enricoclaudio 02:15 PM 08-19-2014
I had both, the P5 and the XSP-1 Gen2 and decided to kept the P5 because the option of having two independent subwoofer in/out which is very important for me. The volume control in the P5 is fine for me and the analog bass management is really cool too. I don't use the P5's DAC because I have an Oppo 105D.
jellow's Avatar jellow 05:53 AM 08-21-2014
I just received the P5 I ordered. I'm replacing the Parasound 2100 and I think the P5 is a nice upgrade.

YMMV
dannybenz's Avatar dannybenz 05:38 PM 10-13-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
I had both, the P5 and the XSP-1 Gen2 and decided to kept the P5 because the option of having two independent subwoofer in/out which is very important for me. The volume control in the P5 is fine for me and the analog bass management is really cool too. I don't use the P5's DAC because I have an Oppo 105D.

Thanks for the reply. So did the two pieces sound similar? I actually went with the Emotiva because of the dual balanced sub outs for my dual subs that are running off of a pro amp. But I am still curious about the P5 as I really liked the 2100. Would there be any sort of problem in using an xlr splitter from the P5's single xlr sub out to drive two channels of a pro amp for sub duty?
tractng's Avatar tractng 01:09 AM 10-23-2014
The P5 doesn't work in bypass mode when the device is turned off? Can somebody confirm this. I thought it says it will be in bypass mode automatically when it is turned off.

Thanks,
TT
biggin 10:09 PM 10-23-2014
I guess I will find out for myself how good the P5 Sounds, I purchase a P5 a week ago with a set of new speakers. I made the purchase to separate my HT equipment (preamp). I will have the option to listen to music from a separate preamp that I'm hoping will produce a better music experience. The reviews that I have read on the unit go both ways but most are favorable. I too wanted ability to run analog and digital. The speakers are coming in from the east coast so one more week and its set up time. I'm a little worried about the wall outlet lots of equipment with only two outlets. May need to consider adding a dedicate outlet.

Home Theater HiFi (July, 2014)
"Calling the new Parasound Halo P 5 simply a preamplifier is an understatement."
"...to merely say it's a bargain competing with preamps costing many times more is not giving it enough praise."
"My advice is simple, just get one, I recommend it strongly!"

Stereo&Video (May, 2014)
"This amazing group of equipment best demonstrates the audio industry's present state of the art. This unit is absolutely state-of-the-art and technological to its core."

Home Theater Review (April, 2014)
"A feature-packed product with nearly everything the digital and analog audiophile could hope for all wrapped up in one pretty package. The P 5 does a wonderful job of resolving fine details in music... captures and delivers it wonderfully, with sumptuous richness and oodles of warmth... exceptional imagine and soundstage capabilities. Overall, I adore the ergonomics of the P 5, I love its twist knob input selector, I love its volume knob... I just adore touching the thing, to be quite frank about it. And with the vast bulk of my digital music collection, I simply adore listening to it."

Stereophile, April 2014
"Exceptional clarity. Exceptional dynamics. Neutral without being colorless. Very well made and complete for the price. What's not to like?...This is about as fine a $1095 preamp as I can imagine in 2014. Heartily recommended."

Hi-Fi Choice, April 2014
"The P 5 seemingly goes out of its way to throw up as much detail as it can... If you're looking for a 'Swiss Army Knife' of an audio product, this won't disappoint."
Review
schmendrick's Avatar schmendrick 09:28 AM 10-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractng View Post
The P5 doesn't work in bypass mode when the device is turned off? Can somebody confirm this. I thought it says it will be in bypass mode automatically when it is turned off.

Thanks,
TT
When using the balanced outputs power is required for ht bypass. When using the unbalanced outputs ht bypass will work when unit is off.

Mike
tractng's Avatar tractng 10:47 AM 10-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmendrick View Post
When using the balanced outputs power is required for ht bypass. When using the unbalanced outputs ht bypass will work when unit is off.

Mike
Thank you. I called parasound and they told me the answer.
tractng's Avatar tractng 10:50 AM 10-24-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggin View Post
I guess I will find out for myself how good the P5 Sounds, I purchase a P5 a week ago with a set of new speakers. I made the purchase to separate my HT equipment (preamp). I will have the option to listen to music from a separate preamp that I'm hoping will produce a better music experience. The reviews that I have read on the unit go both ways but most are favorable. I too wanted ability to run analog and digital. The speakers are coming in from the east coast so one more week and its set up time. I'm a little worried about the wall outlet lots of equipment with only two outlets. May need to consider adding a dedicate outlet.

Home Theater HiFi (July, 2014)
"Calling the new Parasound Halo P 5 simply a preamplifier is an understatement."
"...to merely say it's a bargain competing with preamps costing many times more is not giving it enough praise."
"My advice is simple, just get one, I recommend it strongly!"

Stereo&Video (May, 2014)
"This amazing group of equipment best demonstrates the audio industry's present state of the art. This unit is absolutely state-of-the-art and technological to its core."

Home Theater Review (April, 2014)
"A feature-packed product with nearly everything the digital and analog audiophile could hope for all wrapped up in one pretty package. The P 5 does a wonderful job of resolving fine details in music... captures and delivers it wonderfully, with sumptuous richness and oodles of warmth... exceptional imagine and soundstage capabilities. Overall, I adore the ergonomics of the P 5, I love its twist knob input selector, I love its volume knob... I just adore touching the thing, to be quite frank about it. And with the vast bulk of my digital music collection, I simply adore listening to it."

Stereophile, April 2014
"Exceptional clarity. Exceptional dynamics. Neutral without being colorless. Very well made and complete for the price. What's not to like?...This is about as fine a $1095 preamp as I can imagine in 2014. Heartily recommended."

Hi-Fi Choice, April 2014
"The P 5 seemingly goes out of its way to throw up as much detail as it can... If you're looking for a 'Swiss Army Knife' of an audio product, this won't disappoint."
Review
I tested with AVR, P5, A21 & bluray on. The APC unit shows its about 3.5 amp (but I did not crank it loud since it was 1 am in the morning
Brap's Avatar Brap 12:17 PM 10-30-2014
Have one for about 9 months now and love it. Really a good sound and versatile. Previous phono pre was a Vincent but like to P5 better. Output to 2 tube amps -- Dynaco ST-70 and Transcendent OTL. Like the sub control -- don't need it for one pair of speakers (Klipsch forte's) but do on the Paradigm StudioV10's. The P5 is a real nice piece for the $$. Have not used the bypass in a HT set-up since this is dedicated to a 2 channel listening room. Highly recommend.
covers 11:20 AM 09-08-2015
I have NAD T175HD Preamp. Would getting the Parasound P5 Preamp and using the HT bypass give me better 2CH Stereo listening then the NAD?
tritiumglo's Avatar tritiumglo 08:01 PM 09-08-2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by covers View Post
I have NAD T175HD Preamp. Would getting the Parasound P5 Preamp and using the HT bypass give me better 2CH Stereo listening then the NAD?
Lateral step. The NAD is of very high quality.
nesto719's Avatar nesto719 01:13 PM 08-13-2016
Would the p5 sound better sonically vs just running the a21 to my marantz 7008?
Tom Grooms's Avatar Tom Grooms 06:09 PM 08-13-2016
I'd say it really depends on the source. Digital input is a push. Analog inputs and balanced inputs leans towards the P5. Its got a decent phono stage as well., nice piece. Btw, I have both a 7008 and a P5/A21 combo.
digitallc's Avatar digitallc 07:25 PM 08-13-2016
I separated my home theater - SR7008, from audio - P5/A21 last year, and was happy with how everything sounded. Just hooked up a Rega TT a few days ago, and the sound is finally amazing. The P5/A21 combo is a winner, and really shines with analog.
nesto719's Avatar nesto719 08:25 PM 08-13-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitallc View Post
I separated my home theater - SR7008, from audio - P5/A21 last year, and was happy with how everything sounded. Just hooked up a Rega TT a few days ago, and the sound is finally amazing. The P5/A21 combo is a winner, and really shines with analog.
I'm new to whole two channel game , and am not sure what you mean by analog .
nesto719's Avatar nesto719 08:27 PM 08-13-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Grooms View Post
I'd say it really depends on the source. Digital input is a push. Analog inputs and balanced inputs leans towards the P5. Its got a decent phono stage as well., nice piece. Btw, I have both a 7008 and a P5/A21 combo.
I do mostly streaming using Apple TV . Or Sonos . So I would rely on the p5 Dac . Would you not recommend this as a good setup .
nesto719's Avatar nesto719 08:29 PM 08-13-2016
Can the p5 do mains+lfe like the 7008 can
Tom Grooms's Avatar Tom Grooms 09:06 PM 08-13-2016
Save your money. The 7008 is going to do just as good with those sources.
nesto719's Avatar nesto719 09:37 PM 08-13-2016
Quote:
Save your money. The 7008 is going to do just as good with those sources.
The p5 won't at least make the streaming sources aound better ?
Tom Grooms's Avatar Tom Grooms 09:39 PM 08-13-2016
Not really, streaming sources are typically low resolution. Save your money. The 7008 is a nice piece
nesto719's Avatar nesto719 10:57 PM 08-13-2016
Quote:
Not really, streaming sources are typically low resolution. Save your money. The 7008 is a nice piece
Do you think it's at least a good idea to add the a21 ? The reason I thought I needed to step up to a better preamp is because I was told that the 7008 preamp section will be noisier and may not have enough voltage to get the best out of the a21 . Thanks for the advice though
Tom Grooms's Avatar Tom Grooms 07:43 AM 08-14-2016
Whoever told you that is crazy. The 7008 has a very good pre amp out section, it's dead silent. My P5 is connected to an A21. My 7008 is connected to an A31 powering the front 3 with the AVR powering the surrounds and surround backs. It's been up and running like that for 3 years, it's a fantastic setup.
nesto719's Avatar nesto719 11:03 AM 08-14-2016
Quote:
Whoever told you that is crazy. The 7008 has a very good pre amp out section, it's dead silent. My P5 is connected to an A21. My 7008 is connected to an A31 powering the front 3 with the AVR powering the surrounds and surround backs. It's been up and running like that for 3 years, it's a fantastic setup.
So you are you incorporating the p5 into the 7008'with h/t bypass?
Tom Grooms's Avatar Tom Grooms 11:19 AM 08-14-2016
No, two separate systems. Home theater and 2 channel
nesto719's Avatar nesto719 05:31 PM 08-14-2016
[QUOTE=Tom Grooms;46046089]No, two separate systems. Home theater and 2 channel

What are you using for source with the p5
Tom Grooms's Avatar Tom Grooms 05:33 PM 08-14-2016
Marantz UD 7007 disc player, Marantz Reference TT-15S1 turntable and a HEOS link.
nesto719's Avatar nesto719 08:30 PM 08-14-2016
Quote:
Marantz UD 7007 disc player, Marantz Reference TT-15S1 turntable and a HEOS link.
Very nice !!! How do you like the heos link ? I read that the new marantz stuff will intergrate that in their next receivers
Tom Grooms's Avatar Tom Grooms 08:33 PM 08-14-2016
I'm a HUGE HEOS fan. It's great stuff. Yes Indeed D&M will be integrating HEOS in AVR's in the future. I can't say much but I'm sure testing is coming along nicely
enricoclaudio's Avatar enricoclaudio 09:34 AM 08-15-2016
Like Tom, I have a Marantz SR7008 and a Parasound P5 as well. In my case I have the P5 working together with the 7008 via HT Bypass and it works great. I use the P5 only for stereo (2.2) and the SR7008 for movies. The preamp section on the 7008 is dead silent. I have an Emotiva XPA-3 driving front left, front right and center speakers and an Emotiva XPA-200 driving surround speakers. My source for almost everything is an Oppo 105D.
First ... 4  5  6 7  8 

Up