post #121 of 140 Old 10-23-2014, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by barcuri View Post
Just so we clarify where the hum is coming from:
remove the platter and belt, turn on the TT and lightly place two fingers on the body of the motor.. ( not on the spinning head ) you will feel vibrations. I'm oversimplifying, but in essence, the vibrations are from the alternating current passing through the motor. These are the vibrations that are passed through the platter and onto the cartridge. IMPORTANT if you hear hum with the cartridge NOT touching the vinyl, then none of this info will help you.

Because of many variables that will affect every turntable differently... these fixes may not work for everybody.
in my case by adding the neoprene and washers to the center pivot, i had no improvement.
For me the fix was to remove the center screws and let the motor "float"on the sorbothane pads.
I then put neoprene on the four outer screws to help absorb vibration.
I never tried that; glad it worked for you.
barcuri likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 140 Old 11-02-2014, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudley07726 View Post
I just hooked up a new Project Debut Carbon DC.
It has a very very slight hum but only if you put your ear next to the motor and the on/off switch. Nothing like the the samples of hums posted on earlier. It's not loud at all. I do notice slight noise coming from the speakers if the TT is on but not playing a record and turn up the volume from 6:00 to 12:00 position. If record is playing, no noise. Anything below 12:00 position, almost nothing. By the way, the two transport screws are removed.
My understanding it was earlier versions that had removable "transport" screws. The Debut Carbon manual does not mention removing transport screws.
post #123 of 140 Old 11-02-2014, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post
My understanding it was earlier versions that had removable "transport" screws. The Debut Carbon manual does not mention removing transport screws.
You'd have to read the whole thread.

But if yours isn't humming no need for any tweaks.
post #124 of 140 Old 11-02-2014, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post
I have the hum now.
I am using the acrylic platter and the leather-it mat. The shipping screws are removed.

I notice that there is an audible hum through the speakers when the volume is moderate to high but only happens between cuts on the album. You do not hear it when the music is playing. It is very annoying.
I have changed where I had plugged in the TT as well as changed all the cabling. The ground is attached perfectly. I can sometimes feel a vibration through the tone arm. When I lift the platter off I can feel a vibration when I touch the motor. I wonder if the vibration is somehow getting to the tone arm even though the motor is "floating" on those bands.
post #125 of 140 Old 11-02-2014, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I have the hum now.
I am using the acrylic platter and the leather-it mat. The shipping screws are removed.

I notice that there is an audible hum through the speakers when the volume is moderate to high but only happens between cuts on the album. You do not hear it when the music is playing. It is very annoying.
I have changed where I had plugged in the TT as well as changed all the cabling. The ground is attached perfectly. I can sometimes feel a vibration through the tone arm. When I lift the platter off I can feel a vibration when I touch the motor. I wonder if the vibration is somehow getting to the tone arm even though the motor is "floating" on those bands.
You have the transport screws removed; which, for me, made the hum much much worse.

Replacing them after adding two neoprene washers under each transport screw for damping and a metal washer on top to maintain pressure evenly across the neoprene washers is what worked for me and most who tried it.

Tighten the screws down just enough to start compression of the neoprene screws and see what you find.
post #126 of 140 Old 11-02-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
You have the transport screws removed; which, for me, made the hum much much worse.

Replacing them after adding two neoprene washers under each transport screw for damping and a metal washer on top to maintain pressure evenly across the neoprene washers is what worked for me and most who tried it.

Tighten the screws down just enough to start compression of the neoprene screws and see what you find.
Can you please tell me what size neoprene as well as the metal washers you used? I will go to Home Depot tomorrow to buy them. Just to confirm, both the neoprene and metal washers are on top of the motor transport screw mounts. You have installed nothing underneath, correct? Do you have a picture of what you did?

thanks

gary
post #127 of 140 Old 11-03-2014, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Can you please tell me what size neoprene as well as the metal washers you used? I will go to Home Depot tomorrow to buy them. Just to confirm, both the neoprene and metal washers are on top of the motor transport screw mounts. You have installed nothing underneath, correct? Do you have a picture of what you did?

thanks

gary
Please see the first post on this thread.

Hope it works for you as it has for most, but not all, who have tried it.
post #128 of 140 Old 11-03-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:

Thanks. I picked up both washers this morning at HD. Are the original 2 screws still long enough if you use 2 neoprene and 1 brass washer on each side?
post #129 of 140 Old 11-03-2014, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks. I picked up both washers this morning at HD. Are the original 2 screws still long enough if you use 2 neoprene and 1 brass washer on each side?
Yes.
post #130 of 140 Old 11-03-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Yes.
Thanks gajCA.
I will perform this "fix" tonight. I just spoke to Paul at Sumiko.
I told him that even this DC model has a problem with the hum.
He told me not to expect it to be completely silent. I told him that that was not my expectation and that I was going to perform this fix tonight. I sent him an email with attachments playing the hum that I am experiencing. I told him to call me after he listens to it. I also asked him about installing these neoprene washers under the screws holding the bands. He said I could try. He said he's tried numerous things. So they obviously know the problem and have been trying to fix it for themselves. I told him that it just might be an inherent problem of the design of this Turntable. Crutchfield is sending me a new one but I will try the fix anyway. If none of these things work, I just might try a Rega RP1 or RP3 (which is more than I wanted to spend). This has certainly become a pain in the a**. This is my welcome back to vinyl after 20+ years of not having to deal with it. And all because I wanted to listen to the Beatles vinyl box!

Last edited by dudley07726; 11-03-2014 at 12:07 PM.
post #131 of 140 Old 11-03-2014, 04:42 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Yes.
Quote:
Thanks gajCA.
I will perform this "fix" tonight. I just spoke to Paul at Sumiko.
I told him that even this DC model has a problem with the hum.
He told me not to expect it to be completely silent. I told him that that was not my expectation and that I was going to perform this fix tonight. I sent him an email with attachments playing the hum that I am experiencing. I told him to call me after he listens to it. I also asked him about installing these neoprene washers under the screws holding the bands. He said I could try. He said he's tried numerous things. So they obviously know the problem and have been trying to fix it for themselves. I told him that it just might be an inherent problem of the design of this Turntable. Crutchfield is sending me a new one but I will try the fix anyway. If none of these things work, I just might try a Rega RP1 or RP3 (which is more than I wanted to spend). This has certainly become a pain in the a**. This is my welcome back to vinyl after 20+ years of not having to deal with it. And all because I wanted to listen to the Beatles vinyl box!
Quote:

Hey gajCA:

It worked. two neoprene washers and one #6 SAE metal washer on top and tightened till the neoprene's bent a little. Much better. Almost nothing. This I can live with.

Thanks

Gary
post #132 of 140 Old 11-03-2014, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Hey gajCA:

It worked. two neoprene washers and one #6 SAE metal washer on top and tightened till the neoprene's bent a little. Much better. Almost nothing. This I can live with.

Thanks

Gary
So glad it worked for you Gary.

Big thumbs up!
post #133 of 140 Old 11-03-2014, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Hey gajCA:

Thanks

Gary

Welcome to the humless club!

Love my carbon...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #134 of 140 Old 11-10-2014, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by barcuri View Post
Just so we clarify where the hum is coming from:
remove the platter and belt, turn on the TT and lightly place two fingers on the body of the motor.. ( not on the spinning head ) you will feel vibrations. I'm oversimplifying, but in essence, the vibrations are from the alternating current passing through the motor. These are the vibrations that are passed through the platter and onto the cartridge. IMPORTANT if you hear hum with the cartridge NOT touching the vinyl, then none of this info will help you.

Because of many variables that will affect every turntable differently... these fixes may not work for everybody.
in my case by adding the neoprene and washers to the center pivot, i had no improvement.
For me the fix was to remove the center screws and let the motor "float"on the sorbothane pads.
I then put neoprene on the four outer screws to help absorb vibration.
I've had a Debut Carbon for a while, and the hum from the motor was driving me absolutely insane (as soon as the needle touched the record = massive hum). I seemed to have it worse than most, the noise level coming out of the speakers was pretty crazy. I tried the fix offered in the original post, to no avail. I was actually considering buying the $100 motor isolation kit linked previously.

Then I saw this post from barcuri that I somehow missed previously, indicating rubber washers under the 4 outer screws that hold the rubber band thing. I tried it, and the hum is absolutely 100% gone!!! Not a trace of it remains, it's a miracle. I thought my Carbon was a hopeless case. Seriously, I was ready to toss this TT in the trash and buy a new table. This thread saved my sanity, thank you to everyone for persevering, and especially to barcuri for providing *my* fix

I registered just to post this, because I am so &%*# &$^%# happy right now!
post #135 of 140 Old 11-10-2014, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Oh I should add, I have removed the 2 sorbothane pads, so the motor assembly is hanging in midair suspended only by the rubber band. This seemed to finalize the isolation and remove the last bit of noise I was experiencing. Also, the noise is still there ever so slightly when the lid is lifted. So the lid has to be down for noise free operation in my case. (This whole thing is like voodoo.)
post #136 of 140 Old 11-10-2014, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraumaFrog View Post
Oh I should add, I have removed the 2 sorbothane pads, so the motor assembly is hanging in midair suspended only by the rubber band. This seemed to finalize the isolation and remove the last bit of noise I was experiencing. Also, the noise is still there ever so slightly when the lid is lifted. So the lid has to be down for noise free operation in my case. (This whole thing is like voodoo.)
No kidding!

So glad that you found a fix offered up by barcuri that worked for you as a result of this thread even though my "fix" failed for you.

post #137 of 140 Old 12-02-2014, 11:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
This thread is pretty encouraging. I've decided to go with the carbon but was going to try to get the DC version or go for the esprit to avoid any hum (but it seems like these models might not even be available in Canada). Think I'll just pick up the stock version which is nicely available from a store just down the street and give it a go. If there's some hummin goin on I'll try the fixes mentioned in this thread and report back.
post #138 of 140 Old 12-03-2014, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oimagination View Post
This thread is pretty encouraging. I've decided to go with the carbon but was going to try to get the DC version or go for the esprit to avoid any hum (but it seems like these models might not even be available in Canada). Think I'll just pick up the stock version which is nicely available from a store just down the street and give it a go. If there's some hummin goin on I'll try the fixes mentioned in this thread and report back.

Good luck with yours! My experience with the non DC version is no hum...ever. I did do the fix as soon as I pulled it out of the box. It was very simple and cheap, and made sense to do anyway. Glad I did it...hope your experience is as good as mine.

Most importantly...what color are you getting?

post #139 of 140 Old Yesterday, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgterm View Post
Good luck with yours! My experience with the non DC version is no hum...ever. I did do the fix as soon as I pulled it out of the box. It was very simple and cheap, and made sense to do anyway. Glad I did it...hope your experience is as good as mine.

Most importantly...what color are you getting?

I went for the black one.

Bought it today and it seems to be 100% silent out of the box. Turned it on with the arm still in its holster and there is zero sound coming from it.

Listening to Joni's "Hejira" now and it sounds really nice. There definitely isn't any humming going on at all.

oh.. and I got the acrylic platter for it too. They had it in stock so I had to get one.

Last edited by Oimagination; Yesterday at 10:37 PM.
post #140 of 140 Old Today, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oimagination View Post
I went for the black one.

Bought it today and it seems to be 100% silent out of the box. Turned it on with the arm still in its holster and there is zero sound coming from it.

Listening to Joni's "Hejira" now and it sounds really nice. There definitely isn't any humming going on at all.

oh.. and I got the acrylic platter for it too. They had it in stock so I had to get one.
That's great to hear.

Enjoy your new TT.
Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page