looking for 2 channel setup help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 01-27-2014, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone,

I have about $1000 dollars to spend, and i am looking for a 2 channel set up in my tv room. My room floorplan is not set up properly for me to get a surround system, therefore i am stuck with a 2 channel setup. Amplifier and bookshelf speakers. this would be mostly used for tv movies about 70 percent of the time and the other 30 percent on music. Can i get a decent 2 channel setup with $1000? also, this setup would be without a sub, so i will need some speakers with good low end. i know i cant get subwoofer levels, but i can live with that.what are some recommendations. my room size is about 14 ft by 20 feet. and my sitting distance from the speakers will be about 16-18 feet away. i will need something that can get kind of loud, and not put strain on the system.

thanks ahead of time

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-27-2014, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Sure, it's very possible with that budget. I would suggest an AVR with Audyssey (e.g. Denon) and perhaps a pair of CMT-340SEs ($568) from Ascend Acoustics. Just out of curiosity, why will you be sitting so far away? With that distance a pair of towers and a subwoofer or two might be a better solution (but out of budget of course).

Denon X1000, $450 new or refurb $350 (accessories4less.com)

Additional speaker options (not all inclusive):

HTD Level 3 Book Shelf Speakers, $299 (HTD direct)
JBL Studio 530, $480 (Amazon)

There are lot of quality book shelf speakers in your price range but I have a feeling they will struggle to fill that space.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #3 of 15 Old 01-28-2014, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

Well this is going to be my living room, and the space between tv and couch is a walk way along with a table. thats the only way i can arrange it with the floor plan i have. i was thinking even maybe going with powered speakers like the audioengine a5+ but i dont know if they will have enough power.
post #4 of 15 Old 01-28-2014, 02:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 721
You willing to DIY? Experiment with unknown tech? Could build yourself some nice speakers from diysoundgroup.com, experiment with the new sub guy http://reaction-audio.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/bps-212-powered-subwoofer and get a refurb avr from accessories4less all within your budget. If you don't want to build your own speakers maybe the Ascend 170SEs so you can still have that sub. Just some thoughts off the top of my head....

post #5 of 15 Old 01-28-2014, 02:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I"d definitely go the AVR route. Denon is a good choice. For movies a key feature of audyssey is dynamic volume. That will help bring out voice frequencies for dialog and reduce background sound effects. Particularly useful at night and also a good feature if you are running without a center channel. For music have dynamic vol off and use audyssey dynamic eq. Ascend would also be a good choice, although I'd be tempted to step up to the Sierra-1 bookshelf for 818. That busts your budget a little, but worth it in my opinion.
post #6 of 15 Old 01-28-2014, 05:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 55
if its only for music, I would get a 2 channel integrated amp. Why pay for an AVR with features and channel that you will never use ?

but you said movies. Heres the problem, movies will have special effects and explosion and LFE effects that even floorstanders will not be able to handle at certain volumes. IF you use an AVR you would need a subwoofer to redirect the bass to the sub and prevent damaging your fronts. I use a vintage receiver for both HT and Audio, luckily my sub came with a filter that limits the bass from the main speakers.

btw why no subwoofer ? space ? budget ? There is a thread where subs in the 300 range is being discussed. Spend 300 -400 for an AVR and 300 - 400 for bookshelf speakers and centers. Pioneer has some budget bookshelfes for under 200 .
post #7 of 15 Old 01-28-2014, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qguy View Post

if its only for music, I would get a 2 channel integrated amp. Why pay for an AVR with features and channel that you will never use ?

Curious, for his budget what 2 ch integrated amp would you steer him to?

post #8 of 15 Old 01-28-2014, 05:24 AM
Advanced Member

HK 3480 3490 , Marantz PMXXXX, there are several more out there from other brands but this is the first to pop in my head.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-28-2014, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

3480 doesn't even seem to be available. 3490 is $450 which would be too big a chunk of a $1000 budget. Both of the HK units are receivers, not integrated amps (just not multich receivers). The lowest model PM that came up was the 6004 and is an integrated amp but cheapest was $400 at accessories4less (assume a refurb) and up to $600. Not exactly saving anything, but rather paying a premium to have limited 2 ch uses, shorting yourself of future expansion and some nice features like room correction. Reality is that multi ch avr's often are the better buy as few buyers apparently (in terms of what's available and for what price) want simple stereo options any more....I know I stopped looking 15-20 years ago (but I do have some legacy 2 ch stuff I use for nostalgic LP listening and some CDs in the room the 2 ch stuff ends up in as I get excellent 2 ch listening when needed from both my 7 ch and 5 ch avr's by switching to 2 ch modes). My .02 at least....

post #10 of 15 Old 01-28-2014, 06:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 997
Quote:

Please show me an 2 channel integrated amp or receiver that you want to recommend, and doesn't cost MORE than a comparable AVR.

So far we've heard about the HK 3490 @ what $450. For that kind of money one can obtain a pretty fancy AVR. $250 gets you a basic one that still equals the 3490 in terms of tangible features and benefits.

Quote:
but you said movies. Heres the problem, movies will have special effects and explosion and LFE effects that even floorstanders will not be able to handle at certain volumes.

Agreed.

Quote:
IF you use an AVR you would need a subwoofer to redirect the bass to the sub and prevent damaging your fronts. I use a vintage receiver for both HT and Audio, luckily my sub came with a filter that limits the bass from the main speakers.

I don't see this as an AVR problem but a speaker problem that exists whether a 2 channel receiver or integrated is being used, or if an AVR is being used.

Quote:
btw why no subwoofer ? space ? budget ? There is a thread where subs in the 300 range is being discussed. Spend 300 -400 for an AVR and 300 - 400 for bookshelf speakers and centers. Pioneer has some budget bookshelfes for under 200 .

Agreed.
post #11 of 15 Old 01-28-2014, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

but you said movies. Heres the problem, movies will have special effects and explosion and LFE effects that even floorstanders will not be able to handle at certain volumes. IF you use an AVR you would need a subwoofer to redirect the bass to the sub and prevent damaging your fronts. I use a vintage receiver for both HT and Audio, luckily my sub came with a filter that limits the bass from the main speakers.

I run without a sub into floorstanders. My speakers aren't damaged. It works just fine. My floors have an f3 of 34 hz. Before my floors I ran a 2.0 with bookshelfs. Both times I utilized an AVR, never had a speaker problem. If you are running at volumes that could damage your speakers without a sub, you are probably damaging your ears. There are many out there who run 2.0 systems and are happy with them, even for movies. (We had a thread here a couple of years ago). My main interest is in Music, so I have a 2.0 system tailored around that, and I get what I get out of it for movies.
post #12 of 15 Old 01-28-2014, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

It is possible to use small bookshelf in an HT setting at a certain volume without damage, some users would be contented with the setup, some would not be with the restricted bass response, I for one would never be happy even for music with no subs at all, so it really depends on the listeners preference
post #13 of 15 Old 01-28-2014, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

You willing to DIY? Experiment with unknown tech? Could build yourself some nice speakers from diysoundgroup.com, experiment with the new sub guy http://reaction-audio.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/bps-212-powered-subwoofer and get a refurb avr from accessories4less all within your budget. If you don't want to build your own speakers maybe the Ascend 170SEs so you can still have that sub. Just some thoughts off the top of my head....

I wouldnt mind doing a DIY speaker. im pretty hand with electronics, and it sounds like a great project.

thanks guys this is alot of great input. I would like to stay without a sub. i would rather put together quality bookshelfs and amp now, and maybe later down the line spend the money on a sub. At this moment no sub.
post #14 of 15 Old 01-28-2014, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

If you can live without the good bass from a sub and up the speaker budget the 340SEs from Ascend would be a better choice as far as bass response, although you might also consider starting with 3 speakers across the front for both spl and better dialog with movies (IMHO). There's actual DIY (and there's a good subforum here with great resources), and what I mentioned which is actually AIY with flatpacks with a certain amount of assembly and finishing depending on what tools you have....Erich from these forums is www.diysoundgroup.com and his flat packs are also available through parts-express.com (a good source for speaker components in general as is madisound.com. Good luck!

post #15 of 15 Old 01-28-2014, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

If you can live without the good bass from a sub and up the speaker budget the 340SEs from Ascend would be a better choice as far as bass response, although you might also consider starting with 3 speakers across the front for both spl and better dialog with movies (IMHO). There's actual DIY (and there's a good subforum here with great resources), and what I mentioned which is actually AIY with flatpacks with a certain amount of assembly and finishing depending on what tools you have....Erich from these forums is www.diysoundgroup.com and his flat packs are also available through parts-express.com (a good source for speaker components in general as is madisound.com. Good luck!

+1

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page