Hot stampers- the Emperors new clothes or the real deal? Time to decide... - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 102 Old 03-09-2014, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Well it seems that even the well informed vinyl buffs aren't really interested in "overpriced" vinyl wink.gif. So you might be pretty much on your own in this discussion. Please post your thoughts on the "hot stampers" when you get them. I'm sure they will sound out of this world. At those prices they really should smile.gif.

Bill

There u go again. Why should the price have any bearing on the sound? Justify for us all why a Halcro amp cost $100000 or a Wavac a hilarious $350000

I will post my honest opinions. I will not be influenced by the rantings of the many uninformed on here particular those who bizarrely think digital can outperform vinyl- oh sure we all know the vinyl doesn't measure so good in a test bench. Can't wait to hear the next ( first!) classic album from a test bench cool.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 102 Old 03-09-2014, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

The data you mention appears to be here:

Audopax model 88

http://www.stereophile.com/content/audiopax-model-eighty-eight-monoblock-power-amplifier-measurements

Halcro model DM 88

http://www.stereophile.com/content/halcro-dm88-reference-monoblock-power-amplifier-measurements

Audopax model 88 THD:

Halcro model DM 88 THD

If we enter some really odd world where vastly more THD is better than our correspondent is right. However in the real world where most of us live... ;-)

I'd show the frequency response curves but its more of the same!

Clearly u r ignoring my simple challenge to the poster. Wonder why lol?

Pick up the challenge post your finding then I'll PROVE the Audiopax even MEASURES better.....and SOUNDS sooooooo much better - which is REALLY ALL THAT MATTERS right? And at a FRACTION of the price. What u waiting for better and cheaper buddy!
post #93 of 102 Old 03-09-2014, 09:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked: 1144
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecossecableman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

The data you mention appears to be here:

Audopax model 88

http://www.stereophile.com/content/audiopax-model-eighty-eight-monoblock-power-amplifier-measurements

Halcro model DM 88

http://www.stereophile.com/content/halcro-dm88-reference-monoblock-power-amplifier-measurements

Audopax model 88 THD:

Halcro model DM 88 THD

If we enter some really odd world where vastly more THD is better than our correspondent is right. However in the real world where most of us live... ;-)

I'd show the frequency response curves but its more of the same!

Clearly u r ignoring my simple challenge to the poster. Wonder why lol?

I don't think I am ignoring anything relevant or unique. You seemed to claim that the Audiopax measures better, but I see no reasonable metric by which that would be correct.
Quote:
Pick up the challenge post your finding then I'll PROVE the Audiopax even MEASURES better

The obvious facts say otherwise. The ball is now in your court.
post #94 of 102 Old 03-09-2014, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

Come come my learned friend. What have you got to lose. Go check out a properly set up model88. Then come back and post your findings. Hey it may even surprise you What could be simpler than that eh?
But I have heard a system containing an Audiopax 88 in about 2006. I thought it was pretty meh. It was an invite from a guy local to me at the time I met on one of the forums. It was full of well reviewed gear from the mags, but I don't recall what exactly as I'm not interested in the jewellery aspect. He loved it though. It went to pieces on really complex material like Beethoven 9th and it wasn't the rest of the system as we swapped in two other amps the check: one of my tube designs and a well regarded local SS amp, a ME 850. He listened mostly to small scale jazz and it was OK for that, but I honestly thought both of the other amps improved it substantially on all material we tried that day.
Quote:

Let me assure you the model 88 measures better then these amps I have alluded to where measurements matter
So, ball's now in your court. Show the measurement aspects that matter, as well as the data proving the A88 has lower distortion than the Halcro as you said you would.
post #95 of 102 Old 03-09-2014, 04:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:

There u go again. Why should the price have any bearing on the sound? Justify for us all why a Halcro amp cost $100000 or a Wavac a hilarious $350000

I will post my honest opinions. I will not be influenced by the rantings of the many uninformed on here particular those who bizarrely think digital can outperform vinyl- oh sure we all know the vinyl doesn't measure so good in a test bench. Can't wait to hear the next ( first!) classic album from a test bench cool.gif

The discussion of price is because in my opinion these albums are over priced. I'm not sure why you keep bringing $100,000 amps into the discussion. It's funny that you say "Why should the price have any bearing on the sound?" when you constantly talk about $100,000 amps and high priced cables. Both which in my opinion have no bearing on this threads discussion.

You posted this earlier.
Quote:

PS this thread is about hot stampers. Plz keep on topic.

I'm not sure why you started a thread about "hot stampers" and ask people to keep on that subject but then you constantly go waaaaay off topic.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #96 of 102 Old 03-09-2014, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 790
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
LOL!
Why you wouldn't want to join this forum
post #97 of 102 Old 03-10-2014, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Ecosse: still waiting on that data you promised.
post #98 of 102 Old 03-14-2014, 05:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I wonder if we will hear back from the OP in reference to how the "hot stampers" sound and their relative value.

Bill

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #99 of 102 Old 03-15-2014, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I doesn't matter. We don't have systems sophisticated enough to pick up the audio nuances of a Hot Stamper.smile.gif
post #100 of 102 Old 03-15-2014, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Today I went to the Record Genie (he has 2 Audio Desk and 2 KLAudio ultrasonic cleaning machines $4000 ea) had 5 old albums cleaned for $2.75 ea. After the process I tried them out at the audio dealer where he was doing the cleaning. Tried them out on a Clearaudio Concept TT w/a pair of Aerial 6T speakers. The difference was stunning. Almost like new vinyl. So good in fact I am going to declare these HOT STAMPERS. You can have them for $399 ea. Plus I'll throw in a audiophile copy of Boogie Shoes by KC and the Sunshine Gang.biggrin.gif
post #101 of 102 Old 03-15-2014, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Apparently there is a similar service for CDs as well targeting the audiophile market. wink.gif

www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/yeah-does-your-cd-store-have-sense-humor-15340/#post211176
post #102 of 102 Old 04-08-2014, 03:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Well it appears that the "Hot Stampers" might not be so hot wink.gif. No word from the OP on these although it would be interesting to hear back on how they sound and if the cost is justified.

Bill

Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page