Hot stampers- the Emperors new clothes or the real deal? Time to decide... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 102 Old 02-23-2014, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
A recent debate I had on another forum regarding the MFSL Beatles box set versus the 2012 remasters saked my thirst to delve further into the world of ' best vinyl'. A few threads/posts on there positively trash Better Records, and their business, which is finding so-called hot stampers and selling them for, well,I guess whatever they can get for them. Personally I don't have the time or inclination to buy up dozens of the same title and listen to them all to choose the best. I guess Tom and his team does and boy does he charge you for the privilege.

Now, there are a few records that quite finally I just could not live without and if I could get mind blowing versions of then then yes I would pay through the nose for them. They include Revolver Mono, The Blue Nile Walk Across the Rooftops, Stravinsky Firebird, Joni Mitchell Ladies of the Canyon, Miles Sketches of Spain,Rubber soul, Sgt Pepper, Aretha Young Gifted and Black,M Jackson Off the Wall,Nat King Cole Love is the Thing, Bowie Ziggy...you get the picture.

So I emailed Tom with this challenge:I believe I own a true reference music system. I believe this because I can compare the records I've been involved in at home versus how they sounded when I produced/ mixed them

Bottom line I think my system is accurate and allows me to hear pretty much everything on the record - and because of my ears and experience I believe I can sort right from wrong

Here's my system photo enclosed.):http://www.ecossecables.co.uk/why-ecosse.html

Here's the challenge. You say this and that about hot stampers versus 'audiophile' heavy vinyl, half mastered etc. I'd like to prove it for myself. Let me listen to one of your hot stampers and let me compare it to something I own. If what you say is right I'll prefer your version(s), in which case I'll buy it! Simple as that.We could try any Beatles, or Bowie Ziggy, or Hotel California, or NKCole vs my DCC, or Revolver Mono, or Sketches of Spain, or a Doors versus my DCCs, or Firebird, Stravinsky or ladies of the canyon or court & spark or Blue Nile Walk across the rooftops, Genesis:Selling England Elvis is Back...plenty plenty more but that's a good start. Interested?

Well I didn't hear back from him so I sent him a follow up: hi
I'm wondering if my challenge is too much for you but at least a response would be nice. If not, I'll presume the stuff on your website re " hit stampers" is without merit, or debatable at best
Sincerely xxxxxx
Then, he emailed to say he HAD responded but I didn't get it. This is what he resent:'xxxxxx, thanks for contacting us. We are happy to make you the same offer we make anyone and everyone who comes to our site -- our pressing will kill whatever you own or your money back. In your case I'll even pay the return shipping!
Pick any record you like and pay for it. If you are not thrilled we give you all your money back; you have literally nothing to lose. Try a Beatles record. You have two sets there that we don't think too highly of, happy to take them on, if they sound anything like the sets I've auditioned it should be a wipe-out.'
Best, TP

I responded : Hi Tom
That's fighting talk my friend. So yes I will take you on. You may not like my box sets. Personally I don't like the 2012 remasters ( too harsh which clouds micro details) and I don't care what ( some) xxxxxx on the forum say about the MFSL. As a whole it's very good
One thing I'd like to reiterate. With me you get studio experience mixing and producing experience, and multi award winning HiFi cable manufacturer An unusual combination I'm sure you'll agree. My system trounces every system I have heard anywhere in the planet. One day you should come hear it. Others have travelled from far and wide and confirm my experience. In a small ****** listening room with ZERO acoustic treatment windows on one side and speakers less than 3ft from either wall it is truly a wonder.

He came back with:'Xxxxx, we are happy to let anyone write anything they like about the records they have received from us, we have plenty of critics and defenders alike. Our take is that the records speak for themselves, at least on any system worth a damn. (The vast majority of our critics have never heard one of our Hot Stampers, as any casual perusal of a forum thread about us will make abundantly clear.) Even Michael Fremer has admitted that we sell damn good records -- never thought I would hear that from him!
We honestly can't predict what any person will hear on our records, if only because audio systems as a rule are so idiosyncratic, but with a return rate of about one per cent we haven't found it to be too much of a problem. We let people decide for themselves if our service is of value, and have no idea what they are listening for on any given record, or even what they think they are hearing. After being heavily involved in audio for most of the last forty years I have given up trying to figure out why audiophiles like what they do. We just sell the records we think sound right and hope our customers hear what they like. So far so good, especially considering the prices we charge.
OK, ready to rumble. Do you have a record in mind, or would you like us to help you pick a winner? We are happy to help in any way we can, it's part of our service. (Most of our sales are done outside of the site to our best customers who simply tell us what albums they would like to hear with better sound than can be found elsewhere.)
Get back to us with your thoughts or order something off the site, whatever works best for you.'
Regards, TP

Here is my reply:Thx. Tom
For the sake of spreading the word I may well post this on the site. The naysayers can just suck it up eh? Of course I may turn out to be a naysayer too lol
I'm thinking my favourites would be Joni Ladies of the Canyon and Court and Spark or Revolver mono, or Stevie Wonder Innervisions then Blue Nile walk across the rooftops. Carpenters 69-73 Sgt Pepper mono Stravinsky Firebird Miles Sketches of Spain Eagles Hotel C and Hits. Let me know of ANY you think I should listen to - of course I'll only evaluate if I have something to compare against
My system is I assure you no way idiosyncratic. I can compare the records i made to the tapes I personally mixed. Its as neutral as hell and frighteningly revealing! If the records eqd crap it sound crap in my system - visa versa and it fills the room yes even behind your head. Over to you

His response"xxxxxx, we are down with whatever you choose to do, we trust your judgment in the matter (as if we have any real say over what you may or may not choose to write)..We do have a top Pepper in stock; of course it won't be mono, never heard a good one and doubt such a thing exists, old cutter heads being full of distortion:
Not sure what kind of price range you want to be in, our top copies of famous albums often exceed $500, but of course those are the records that really make our case as Sellers of the Best Sounding Vinyl on the Planet (or something like that).
The only killer Joni we have in stock is Blue, but we have very good copies of her other albums as you can see:No Firebird, although I did have this to say about the Classic, a record I found plenty of fault
No killer Hotel Ca but some good Eagles records:
This copy would be quite good on side one, a good test for not too much money:
Anyway, this should give you some good choices

And now we're up to date.

Anyone bought a hot stamper from Tom? Anyone care to comment on Toms ideas. No I don't want to get into a slanging match with anyone who disses him because of price. That's NOT the point. The question is are 'hot stampers' of originals better than say half speed masters, 180/200gm remaster virgin vinyls etc etc​
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 102 Old 02-23-2014, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 38
This Better Records site is a lot of Voodoo. Who's to say wbat a Hot Stamper is Tom Port. Also if you put down $400 for piece of vinyl were is the documentation that this is the finest recording of that particular album. Who's to say that I don't have a Hot Stamper that I picked up at my local record store for just $5? Also if you spend $400 for a Hot Stamper and you decide to sell it will you get $400 for it?? I doubt it, many of his records are not verified collectibles which means you won't get more than $10-$20 on the open market. Personally I have found plenty of audio gold and some rare pressing at my local used record stores. Good enough for me.smile.gif
post #3 of 102 Old 02-23-2014, 06:27 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post

This Better Records site is a lot of Voodoo. Who's to say wbat a Hot Stamper is Tom Port. Also if you put down $400 for piece of vinyl were is the documentation that this is the finest recording of that particular album. Who's to say that I don't have a Hot Stamper that I picked up at my local record store for just $5? Also if you spend $400 for a Hot Stamper and you decide to sell it will you get $400 for it?? I doubt it, many of his records are not verified collectibles which means you won't get more than $10-$20 on the open market. Personally I have found plenty of audio gold and some rare pressing at my local used record stores. Good enough for me.smile.gif

Sadly, the audio industry is gutted with this sort of thing.
post #4 of 102 Old 02-23-2014, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecossecableman View Post

Personally I don't have the time or inclination to buy up dozens of the same title and listen to them all to choose the best. I guess Tom and his team does and boy does he charge you for the privilege.

I think this hits the nail on the head. Tom charges a premium for finding good sounding vinyl. My experience is that finding LP's that are quiet and sound really good isn't impossible, but it usually takes time and you usually have to buy multiple copies before you find the perfect one and sometimes you never find a good copy. People who buy from this site are willing to pay for the convenience of getting a great sounding copy of their favorite LP without the hassle of buying multiple copies.

I've purchased three lower priced "semi-hot stampers" from Better Records and I think Tom's description of each album was pretty accurate. If you decide to try, I recommend you read the description of the LP you buy very carefully. There is usually a lot of detail about what the good and bad qualities of the LP are.

Mark

There is a very thin line between "hobby" and "mental illness". - Dave Barry
post #5 of 102 Old 02-24-2014, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillcup View Post

I think this hits the nail on the head. Tom charges a premium for finding good sounding vinyl. My experience is that finding LP's that are quiet and sound really good isn't impossible, but it usually takes time and you usually have to buy multiple copies before you find the perfect one and sometimes you never find a good copy. People who buy from this site are willing to pay for the convenience of getting a great sounding copy of their favorite LP without the hassle of buying multiple copies.

I've purchased three lower priced "semi-hot stampers" from Better Records and I think Tom's description of each album was pretty accurate. If you decide to try, I recommend you read the description of the LP you buy very carefully. There is usually a lot of detail about what the good and bad qualities of the LP are.

Thx Mark

He gets absolutely slaughtered on Hoffman et al but then again I tend to ignore idiots who slag off anything they don't agree with but have NEVER put in the evaluation time to actually back up their drivel. Good to hear from someone who actually have. Il be a ordering two to do my own evaluations Hope to report back soon.
post #6 of 102 Old 02-24-2014, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

And you know this how?
post #7 of 102 Old 02-24-2014, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post

Sadly these forum are are filled with naysayers who have never done anything to back up their criticisms. Please confirm you have bought from them didn't like what you got and took advantage of their 30day money back guarantee
David Susilo likes this.
post #8 of 102 Old 02-24-2014, 02:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Quote:

Quote:

Sadly these forum are are filled with naysayers who have never done anything to back up their criticisms. Please confirm you have bought from them didn't like what you got and took advantage of their 30day money back guarantee

And sadly there are many gullible and niave persons who claim to be audiophiles.

If there is s superior sounding product i say prove it. Show me the measurements and bias controlled test results.

Claims of opinion only carry little weight and can be often times placed in the snake oil category.

Its your money, squander it as you choose.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
LOL!
Why you wouldn't want to join this forum
post #9 of 102 Old 02-24-2014, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

And sadly there are many gullible and niave persons who claim to be audiophiles.

If there is s superior sounding product i say prove it. Show me the measurements and bias controlled test results.

Claims of opinion only carry little weight and can be often times placed in the snake oil category.

Sadly there are but I ain't one of them. I'm a music lover who is happy to try things rather than diss them verbatim without any prior evaluation. Snake oil is abundant in this industry but not in my house. With my set up I truly hear just about everything in the disc. If it's not improved by your ' snake oil ' then it goes back

Since when did a test bench have a pair of ears. It's your loss enjoy it.
David Susilo likes this.
post #10 of 102 Old 02-24-2014, 03:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Sadly there are but I ain't one of them. I'm a music lover who is happy to try things rather than diss them verbatim without any prior evaluation. Snake oil is abundant in this industry but not in my house. With my set up I truly hear just about everything in the disc. If it's not improved by your ' snake oil ' then it goes back

Since when did a test bench have a pair of ears. It's your loss enjoy it.
Eberything that is audible is measurable. A test bench is far more refined then human ears.

LOL!
post #11 of 102 Old 02-24-2014, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter

You don't REALLY believe that do you? eek.gif
post #12 of 102 Old 02-24-2014, 03:19 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You don't REALLY believe that do you? eek.gif

Electronic measurements do not suffer from hearing bias like humans. There is no question at all about his statement being true.
post #13 of 102 Old 02-24-2014, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter

Aye you're probably right. Let's take ALL the emotion out of music.

Can those with genuine knowledge of hot stampers please post. Those without knowledge of same are just cluttering
post #14 of 102 Old 02-24-2014, 03:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Electronic measurements do not suffer from hearing bias like humans. There is no question at all about his statement being true.

There no question about his statement being irrelevant
post #15 of 102 Old 02-24-2014, 03:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

There no question about his statement being irrelevant

How so?

Seems you are willing to believe in possible fslse claims of superiority.

If you wanted to know for sure that one if these special high dollar lps are better then run if the mill pressings then some valid measurements and perhaps bias controlled testing is in order. Otherwise how do you know that its better? Your ears and brain can and will fool you into believing the high dollar pressing is superior.

If it is truely better show measurements supporting the claim.....everything audible is measureable after all. wink.gif

LOL!
post #16 of 102 Old 02-24-2014, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter

I think you're mixing me up with the guy who HASNT produced and mixed multi million selling singles and LPs and who didn't own a studio where one of the biggest selling singles if all time ( in UK) was recorded

Question: what tweaks and improvement have you made to YOUR system may we see it here?
post #17 of 102 Old 02-24-2014, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

How so?

Seems you are willing to believe in possible fslse claims of superiority.

If you wanted to know for sure that one if these special high dollar lps are better then run if the mill pressings then some valid measurements and perhaps bias controlled testing is in order. Otherwise how do you know that its better? Your ears and brain can and will fool you into believing the high dollar pressing is superior.

If it is truely better show measurements supporting the claim.....everything audible is measureable after all. wink.gif

Still waiting for a test bench to release a decent record...
post #18 of 102 Old 02-24-2014, 04:35 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Still waiting for a test bench to release a decent record...

Let us know when it happens. Personally I have better things to wait for.
post #19 of 102 Old 02-24-2014, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Let us know when it happens. Personally I have better things to wait for.

Let us know when your test bench releases a classic
post #20 of 102 Old 02-24-2014, 08:37 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Let us know when your test bench releases a classic

My test bench doesn't release classics. How about yours?
post #21 of 102 Old 02-24-2014, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

My test bench doesn't release classics. How about yours?

So what cables do you have in your music system. Done any tweaks, upgrades. What amp,do you use ? Preamp ? Turntable? speakers?
post #22 of 102 Old 02-24-2014, 09:22 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So what cables do you have in your music system. Done any tweaks, upgrades. What amp,do you use ? Preamp ? Turntable? speakers?

I'm finished playing with you. You can play with someone else.
post #23 of 102 Old 02-24-2014, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm finished playing with you. You can play with someone else.

Awwwww. So sorry. Did I upset you with that really difficult question. Poor u
post #24 of 102 Old 02-24-2014, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think you're mixing me up with the guy who HASNT produced and mixed multi million selling singles and LPs and who didn't own a studio where one of the biggest selling singles if all time ( in UK) was recorded

Question: what tweaks and improvement have you made to YOUR system may we see it here?

1- what does your recording experience have to do with weather or not these high dollar lps are superior to common pressings?

2- if cables beyond regular commodity stuff is important you, then it appears to me you are already chasing unicorns.

By all means dive feet first into thesr high dollar lps, evrn if they are not sonically superior, you will likely believe they are and have plenty of flowery prose to share with us poor unwashed masses.

Of course, if you are serious in determining differences and superiority you would take messurements, but alas that is a dirty word to your ears.

LOL!
post #25 of 102 Old 02-24-2014, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 294

Knock it off guys...

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Join the AVS Club and help support the site. Help Support AVS Forum Sponsors.
post #26 of 102 Old 02-25-2014, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Looking through the Better Records Website they claim if you own an entry level Rega, Project or Music Hall TT you won't hear any difference w/their hot stampers. Blame the cheapo equipment. By the way in a lot of the albums they describe the sound as "Tubey Magic" I have an Audio Research preamp. What type of magic is it supposed to perform??rolleyes.gif
post #27 of 102 Old 02-25-2014, 10:36 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Looking through the Better Records Website they claim if you own an entry level Rega, Project or Music Hall TT you won't hear any difference w/their hot stampers. Blame the cheapo equipment.

Now that is a bad marketing move. Why eliminate potential customers because they don't have an expensive turntable? It seems to me a subjective audiophile would want to buy something based on his own hearing bias, not the bias of someone else. I guess most audiophiles need reinforcement for their decisions.
post #28 of 102 Old 02-25-2014, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Now that is a bad marketing move. Why eliminate potential customers because they don't have an expensive turntable? It seems to me a subjective audiophile would want to buy something based on his own hearing bias, not the bias of someone else. I guess most audiophiles need reinforcement for their decisions.
An easy out. Your not impressed w/the record, your asked what type of TT you have and you say a Music Hall the response will be well as soon as you get a real TT you'll hear the difference. Had to laugh $399 for Parsley, Rosemary, Sage & Thyme by Simon & Garfunkel. Looking in my book of used Vinyl a near mint copy from 1966 goes for around $30-$40. Take my hat off to Tom Port he really knows how to market a product.smile.gif
post #29 of 102 Old 02-25-2014, 04:45 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quote:

An easy out. Your not impressed w/the record, your asked what type of TT you have and you say a Music Hall the response will be well as soon as you get a real TT you'll hear the difference. Had to laugh $399 for Parsley, Rosemary, Sage & Thyme by Simon & Garfunkel. Looking in my book of used Vinyl a near mint copy from 1966 goes for around $30-$40. Take my hat off to Tom Port he really knows how to market a product.smile.gif

No surprise from an industry that has marketed the Tice Clock and the Shun Mook discs. I marvel constantly at how far the audiophile industry will stoop.
post #30 of 102 Old 02-26-2014, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I called him a long time ago as I had just acquired nm 1st pressings of The Doors catalog as well as the DCC vinyl of their debut, I wanted to compare , he hung up on me when I started challenging his claims
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page