Looking to setup a budget speaker system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-06-2014, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello. I am currently looking for a decent 2.0 (or 2.1) speaker setup for my PC in the living room. It is a small living room, and I intend to connect the speakers so that they are easily interchangeable between the PC and a PS3. Currently, the PS3 is connected to the PC monitor using an HDMI to DVI cable, and an RCA splitter to 3.5 converter cable connected to the line in. Therefore, I would like the setup to be interchangeable so I can change what the speakers are connected to at will.

I currently have three options in mind, but will greatly appreciate further suggestions as I am rather new to this. These options follow the four criteria.

Price: $40-$100 (A little over is OK, but generally below $125)

Size: Can function both in a living room and a college dorm.

Noise: Delivers good sound, but won't shatter windows (Kinda joking, just something that isn't too powerful for my needs)

Ease: (Relatively) low setup difficulty

Option 1: Dayton B652 Speakers with a Lepai LP-2020A+ Amp [Price, Size, Noise]

I've considered this option as it seems to fit my criteria well. Additionally, the reviews I have read have all been positive. My primary concern is about the inputs on the amp. Would I be able to connect the red and white RCA cables from the PS3 to the amp? Also, would I need any additional cables for the PC (I have an integrated sound card, but it will suffice for now).

Option 2: Logitech Speaker System Z623 [Size, Noise, Ease]

This option stretches my price limit a bit, but it definitely would be easy for me to setup. Are there any comments about the actual quality of these speakers? I believe that they would be more suited for a desktop than the Daytons, but I am not sure if I would be better off with the bookshelf+amp combo above.

Option 3: Connecting old speakers to an amp [Price]

This is the cheapest yet most risky option. I currently have a pair of Sony MegaBass bookshelf speakers (Like the models shown in the picture below. I did not take it), but no amp. Assuming that they still work, I might be able to buy an amp to power them on. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-06-2014, 09:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 746
My choice would be the Dayton/Lepai setup. And yes. You can connect the PS3. And you could buy an audio switcher box to change back and forth between the PC and PS3.

Also consider the Micca MB42X as an alternative to the Daytons. Or I would consider the Pioneer SP-BS21-LR onsale at Newegg.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #3 of 11 Old 03-07-2014, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 125
I bought a few pairs of Daytons to play around with...those are pretty ridiculous for the money. I was very surprised how they sounded. I helped a friend of mine put together a super inexpensive HT with a bunch of those Daytons...pretty impressive
post #4 of 11 Old 03-08-2014, 03:02 AM

Liked: 34

How about Behringer MS 40? Analog and digital input( 24/96 DAC on board!) ,I've been lisen them a couple of years ago ,not very much "noise" for a little party but pretty decent for their value.

post #5 of 11 Old 03-08-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 61
My computer audio setup, which I am listening to as I type this, is pretty simple:
PC to old Onkyo receiver (originally came from a HTIB, but it is a real receiver HTR-550), hooked up to a pair of the Dayton B652's.
I am using a Music Streamer II USB DAC to connect from the PC to the Receiver. (bought in the days before I knew any better), but just because I have it. I have noticed no difference using the onboard analog output, or the onboard digital output from the computer either.
Bottom line is is sounds very, very good! If you have some room, check local Craigslist, I bet can find a used stereo receiver on there really cheap which will offer multiple inputs.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-10-2014, 09:04 PM

I hear great things about the Pioneer BS22 speakers. Heard them in BB and it was of course hard to say because they were sitting crammed on a shelf. I think they're about $120

http://img3.targetimg3.com/wcsstore/TargetSAS//img/p/12/05/12057425_120718092805.jpg

I have a Lepai 2020 (2013 model). It is pretty remarkable for the price, but I would be warned: it doesn't go anywhere near the rated 20wpc I think. I was fine matched to my old Optimus 7AV speakers (which are pretty damn good as long as you don't care about things like bass), but when I attached it to a pair of B&W 685's I think it was clipping at a pretty moderate volume. I say that because the treble cut out, which led me to believe the protective circuit was kicking in.

I'd just be careful you don't attach the lepai to anything you actually care about ;-D
post #7 of 11 Old 03-10-2014, 09:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimguy View Post

I have a Lepai 2020 (2013 model). It is pretty remarkable for the price, but I would be warned: it doesn't go anywhere near the rated 20wpc I think.

What's misleading is that those are probably 20wpc peaked out, not RMS as they make it out to be.
Quote:

I'd just be careful you don't attach the lepai to anything you actually care about ;-D

The Lepai amps work fine as long as you don't over drive them. It's like any amp, only these are best use for computer desktop use or for moderate volumes in a small room.It's the user that has to abuse the speaker by turning them up too loud rolleyes.gif

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #8 of 11 Old 03-11-2014, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:

I hear great things about the Pioneer BS22 speakers. Heard them in BB and it was of course hard to say because they were sitting crammed on a shelf. I think they're about $120

http://img3.targetimg3.com/wcsstore/TargetSAS//img/p/12/05/12057425_120718092805.jpg

I have a Lepai 2020 (2013 model). It is pretty remarkable for the price, but I would be warned: it doesn't go anywhere near the rated 20wpc I think. I was fine matched to my old Optimus 7AV speakers (which are pretty damn good as long as you don't care about things like bass), but when I attached it to a pair of B&W 685's I think it was clipping at a pretty moderate volume. I say that because the treble cut out, which led me to believe the protective circuit was kicking in.

Yeah you are probably getting about 8 watts before the THD starts to get pretty high, for nearfield though they are great.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
post #9 of 11 Old 03-11-2014, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies. I decided to go with the Lepai/Dayton setup as it seems to be a very popular (and affordable!) option. Given that only the PC and the PS3 will be connected to the amp, I think it is the best option for me.

post #10 of 11 Old 03-14-2014, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

So they have arrived. So far, so good. I initially ran into trouble with the left speaker, but it seemed to be a loose connection on my part. Also, the RCA inputs don't work as I expected on the PS3. They produce a low, bass heavy sound that excludes dialogue in movies and certain sound effects in games. The speakers also made a buzzing sound each time a new title was played. Using an audio splitter connected to the 3.5mm input has solved the issue (I believe the RCA inputs were not correctly down channeling the PS3's surround sound), I now have clean, audible, buzz free audio. Yet, I kinda miss the bass...

post #11 of 11 Old 03-15-2014, 04:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGray View Post

So they have arrived. So far, so good. I initially ran into trouble with the left speaker, but it seemed to be a loose connection on my part. Also, the RCA inputs don't work as I expected on the PS3. They produce a low, bass heavy sound that excludes dialogue in movies and certain sound effects in games. The speakers also made a buzzing sound each time a new title was played. Using an audio splitter connected to the 3.5mm input has solved the issue (I believe the RCA inputs were not correctly down channeling the PS3's surround sound), I now have clean, audible, buzz free audio. Yet, I kinda miss the bass...

No need to miss the bass for long...save up a few bucks for one of the Dayton subs with speaker level inputs/outputs. Problem solved.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

Tags
Dayton Audio 6 1 2 Inch 2 Way Bookshelf Speaker Pair B652 , Logitech Inc Z623 2 1 Thx Speakers Catalog Category Speakers 2 1 Up Systems , Pioneer Sp Bs21 Lr 80 Watt Rms 2 Way Speaker
Gear in this thread - Z623 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page