Dali Zensor 1 vs Wharfedale Diamond 10.1/121 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 42 Old 03-09-2014, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22

I seek advice guys! I have a 2.1 system and I do want to update my speakers in the future to the Wharfedale... however I recently found out that I can get The Dali`s for 100$ less then the price of a Wharfedale 10.1 so I might be able to afford them probably soon. I have read ton of reviews and form what I hear the Dali`s are good but a bit bright and lacking some on the low end. I do have the active subwoofer so the speakers will not go any lower than 60-80 Hz. At the moment my speakers are Jamo S602 and they are not bad to my ears at all but, lack depth (they are rated from 80 Hz... but below 90 there is nothing lol and my crosover is set at 100 Hz at the moment).. My receiver is Yamaha HTR-2866. My general question is do I wait a bit more and gather enough money to get the Wharfedale or get the Dali`s a bit sooner (also i might not be able to fit the Wharfedale where I want because they are a bit larger so this is a problem...) I mean does it worth the wait for the Wharfedale... they seemed to be pretty loved speakers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 03-10-2014, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I can't say I've heard either of those two speakers, but I do own a pair of Dali Lektor 3 bookshelf speakers and really enjoy them. I have never heard a pair of Wharfdale's so I can't comment on those.
Tzuky likes this.
post #3 of 42 Old 03-10-2014, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you friend! I just can`t decide especially because I have no way of auditioning the mentioned speakers.. so I pretty much relay on feedback (sucks but that`s my only option unless I drive 250 miles and listen at the "nearest" store :D ) Hopefully someone who has heard both speakers can give me his opinion. I`m in no hurry tho! Thanks again!

post #4 of 42 Old 03-12-2014, 06:42 AM

Liked: 28

Hi Tzuky, (i'm UK based so when i compare prices bear in mind it is different over here.)

I was in a similar position to you a while ago. I was looking at an AV R and 2.0 speakers before expanding my setup to full 5.1 surround.

The Dali's were £20 more than the DW121's, MA BX2'2 were £25 more than Dali's.

I have listened to the Dali 1's and compared them with the Wharfedale Diamond 121 and the Monitor Audio BX2's (because i could not avoid the reviews and people urging me to try them).

The Dali's had a great sound, and personally i didn't feel compelled by the WD 121's. The MA BX2's were by far and away the much superior speaker. I know you are not looking at these in your thread but if you can bump up the cost, for me they blew the other speakers away.

For the dali's and WD 121, I actually preffered the Dali's and only liked one track that i heard on the121's (all on the same amp). Of course this is subjective, its a shame you can't listen yourself.

Tzuky likes this.

Yamaha RX V-475

Monitor Audio Bronze BX2   Speakers

Monitor Audio Bronze BX     Centre

Monitor Audio Bronze BRFX Rears

FAT PS3

Sans subwoofer

post #5 of 42 Old 03-12-2014, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you! Your feedback is much appreciated! And yes it is a shame that I can not listen to the speakers but that is how it is... I have read for the Monitor Audio speakers you mentioned and my other problem with them is because they are a bit bigger and my system in on my desk, the way everything is placed (monitor, PC, AVR, and on top of that MIDI Keyboard) the space left for speakers is pretty limited I`ll put out my ruler once again and think a bit more.. but I`m pretty sure I will not be able to fit the BX2`s on the desk. And the way furniture are there is also no place for stands (I know it sounds weird but its hard to explain.. pretty small room with a lot of furniture. I might be able to fit the BX1`s... also it is worth mentioning that BX2`s here a almost twice the price of the Dali`s and the BX1`s are 100 pounds more... I seem to be getting a deal of a lifetime price wise... the Dalis are 140 pounds (I`m converting Bulgarian currency into pounds) is there any chance I`m looking at fake speakers? This is the only store that sells Dali in Bulgaria and also imports them in the country (I see at amazon UK that the Dalis cost 199 pounds... I am a bit confused to be honest. 

post #6 of 42 Old 03-12-2014, 07:21 AM

I didn't realise you were using them for a computer setup. The BX2's would be just too big i think. I got them for £225 (rrp £250). The Dali's are £199. WD 121 £179 (didn't listen to the BX1's, but they and the Dalis are meant to be just a matter of taste, BX1's have slightly more bass apparently). The other two speakers are smaller, but smaller still are speakers the size of the Q Acoustics 2020i's if you could get them cheaper. Otherwise stick with the Dali's if they are cheaper in Bulgaria. They are very good. I can't help you are counterfit speakers. I would contact Dali (Denmark) direct send them the company you want to buy them from, links etc and find out if they are reputable/official.

Tzuky likes this.

Yamaha RX V-475

FAT PS3

Sans subwoofer

post #7 of 42 Old 03-12-2014, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

This is a great idea, I did not tough that. I`ll write an e-mail and ask, hopefully they will respond. Thank you again. Sorry I did not explained that I`m using them as a computer setup. I guess the bass response will be enough for me because they will be backed up by my Jamo sub 210 witch in my opinion is great value espetialy for music listening. Thank you again, I`ll write to Dali and see if it is safe to get em from this store... if now I`m ordering from amazon but if it comes to this I will consider the other options more since the price difference will be much smaller! I`ll give an update as soon as i have an answer from Dali! Thank you my friend you have helped a lot! 

post #8 of 42 Old 03-12-2014, 07:41 AM

You're welcome Tzuky. You can't go wrong with the Dali's, esp if you already have a sub. If you order from amazon, they may be covered by some of the amazon marketplace rules, but you'd have to check that with them.

I enjoyed the Dali's, but needed a bigger sound for my future 5.1 setup. For you they should be great, good luck.

Tzuky likes this.

Yamaha RX V-475

FAT PS3

Sans subwoofer

post #9 of 42 Old 03-12-2014, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you! I see your point about amazon rules, anyways I just send an e-mail to Dali and probably in a few days I`ll know if the Bulgarian store is legit or not. And if not, amazon it is! Thanks for the information and ideas once again my friend! I greatly appreciate it!

post #10 of 42 Old 03-14-2014, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

OK, now considering another speakers lol... Dali Lektor 1... seems good on paper, also is a higher class in Dali`s range..

post #11 of 42 Old 03-14-2014, 10:38 AM

I can't help you with those as i have not heard them. but if they're better than the Dali 1's that i heard then again you can't go wrong.

Yamaha RX V-475

FAT PS3

Sans subwoofer

post #12 of 42 Old 03-14-2014, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you man.. I`m still thinking and waiting an e-mail from Dali to confirm that the only seller in Bulgaria is legit.. so we will see

post #13 of 42 Old 03-23-2014, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Ok so yesterday I heard The Boston Acoustics A26.. they are twice the price of the Dalis but dam they sound good. I also found a place where i can directry compare them to the warfedals 10.1 so tommorrow after work I will pick my amp to check the speakers wity my own amp... and after this I will get home with one or other lol I'm excited.

post #14 of 42 Old 03-24-2014, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Went with the Warfedale`s in the end the Boston just did not sounded right on my Yamaha... I guess Yamaha and Boston are not the correct combo.. it lacked bass.. anyways I`m pretty happy with the Warfedale! Great speaker!

post #15 of 42 Old 03-27-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Good choice. Those speakers are highly thought of for good reasons. I went with Polk Rti A1s for my bedroom system because of size issues in my cabinet/stand and a killer price at the time on Amazon ... but strongly wanted the 10.1s. Am very happy with the Polks but still miss the Wharfies.

FYI, am still using Wharfedale Emerald 97s as FL-FR in the main system. Would only upgrade to PSB Synchrony Ones. Can you tell I love Wharfedale?
post #16 of 42 Old 03-27-2014, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

I think I can :) and I have to say I`m a fan of Wharfedale already! Now since you said PSB... the guy at the store offered me PSB`s too.. bookshelf speakers.. I did not want to hear `em tho.. i was deciding between 3 pairs of speakers and It was becoming like one of these situations when you are trying scent / perfume and after sniffin of 15 different scents at the end they all smell the same lol.

To be honest I really like Polk`s and never had the chance to listen to Polk speakers and yours look real good for the price and size! Aaand I just looked online the Wharfedale Emerald 97 man.. Wharfedale make some beautiful products.. that at the same time sound great! I do not have the space and the money for floorstanding speakers at the moment but I hope at some point an upgrade will be possible.

And thank you for the feedback man, i might got the speakers but I continue to gather information on everything audio.. I just love reading and learning about audio!

post #17 of 42 Old 03-28-2014, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Thank you for the kind words.

Sorry I didn't notice earlier that you just joined AVS. Welcome to the Madhouse and be prepared to always spend more than you originally budget. smile.gif

I believe you will easily appreciate the change from the Jamos to the Wharfedales. Not meant as a knock on the S602s as I'm sure they gave you good service. The 10.1s are simply better, which is why I guess we always seek to improve things when we can.

Word to the wise --- try to get what you want in terms of equipment on a good sale or better yet at closeout, if possible, if you can stand the waiting. Obviously most folks need what they need when they need it ... so that isn't always possible. But I'm sure you know that careful shopping and due consideration of buying used (especially with speakers and amps) can save you a good deal of money over time and still lead you to a wonderful result. I bought the 97s back in '02, in fact 2 pair of them, on closeout. I keep the other pair in storage. Also still using a Parasound amp bought on closeout around the same time. Same for my Onkyo PR-SC885 processor, another closeout item. Crazy what you can get with a little luck ... and the many years of good service that can be achieved with a smart purchase. For me, with each step up in quality, the sound just got better and better. It's amazing what open, transparent speakers can reveal with the changes we make in better electronics and better signal.

Enjoy the Wharfedale goodness.smile.gif
post #18 of 42 Old 03-28-2014, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

I compleatly agree! I`m glad that I could get the 10.1.. I know that they are not produced any more so I just got lucky at the right moment (thankfully these kind of products are not selling much in my country). I never believed in second hand... I`m one of those people who needs to open the box and unwrap the untouched product if you know what I mean lol! So I`m always on a lookout for good deals. For now I think I`m settled with the setup I got and to be honest it is my dream..  as a kid I dreamed about system (Yamaha amp... because that is what I knew back then) and speakers with a sub nothing specific but I dreamed about a system pretty much like what I got right now and I`m glad that I was able to afford it. Anyways.. back then I have only heard Jamo floorstanding speakers on a Technics amp... my father got this system for 4-6 months and he got robed.. and after that (probably more than 10-12 years ago) I wanted to build my own system.. and now I have it! I`m talking to much I know lol and yes the jamo S602`s are great... but just for surround speaker nothing more.. great hi freaquency responce tho... upper midrange is also good!

And no worries for not noticeing that I`m new! Sorry for my english, my spelling is not the best I am aware!

Paradox23 likes this.
post #19 of 42 Old 03-28-2014, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Your English is fine, in fact better than many around here, so don't sweat it.

I look forward to reading your impressions of the 10.1s and your improving Hi-Fi.
post #20 of 42 Old 03-28-2014, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you man! I`ll keep you posted! Still getting used to the speakers... I listen to a lot of HipHop.. the underground type.. so lots of higher bass tones if you know what I mean also rock and trash metal.. quite the combination I know lol but anyways that`s what I listen to and so far thw Wharfedale`s are what I expected.. quite good! (not the best with the highs but great never the less)

post #21 of 42 Old 04-02-2014, 07:37 AM

Hi Tzuky, just been reading what you've been up to, glad you found some speakers that suited your ears.

Let me guess... Dali never got back to you!

I just got a centre speaker, in box one, very carefull owner for a little over a 1/3 of what it would cost new. Happy Days.

Hope the systems up and running ok.

Yamaha RX V-475

FAT PS3

Sans subwoofer

post #22 of 42 Old 04-02-2014, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjitb View Post

Hi Tzuky, just been reading what you've been up to, glad you found some speakers that suited your ears.

Let me guess... Dali never got back to you!

I just got a centre speaker, in box one, very carefull owner for a little over a 1/3 of what it would cost new. Happy Days.

Hope the systems up and running ok.

Great to hear you got a new speaker! I`m sure it sounds good! Its great you can get deals like that.. this is almost impossible in Bulgaria.. not a lot of people using or even heard of these brands...

And yes you guessed it.. I did not got an email back.. shame.. but when I heard that Boston Acoustics (even tho double the price of the Dali`s) it changed my view.. I never knew what I was getting to. I`m really new in more serious audio, and thankfully to the guys at one "BOSE" store (sorry I know almost everybody hates bose over here... lol) near my home happend to sell a lot more than bose...wharfedale..focal... martin logan...monitor audio.. boston acoustics...cambridge audio.. you name it they have it.. and they let me test speakers with my AVR.. it was 90 minutes session.. the owner of the store stayed with me 30-40 minutes after work time.. anyways.. even tho I really went to the store wanting the Boston`s I ended up with the Wharfedale witch in my opinion sounded a lot better with my AVR.... I will be visiting that store again!

Benjitb likes this.
post #23 of 42 Old 04-02-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzuky View Post

Great to hear you got a new speaker! I`m sure it sounds good! Its great you can get deals like that.. this is almost impossible in Bulgaria.. not a lot of people using or even heard of these brands...

And yes you guessed it.. I did not got an email back.. shame.. but when I heard that Boston Acoustics (even tho double the price of the Dali`s) it changed my view.. I never knew what I was getting to. I`m really new in more serious audio, and thankfully to the guys at one "BOSE" store (sorry I know almost everybody hates bose over here... lol) near my home happend to sell a lot more than bose...wharfedale..focal... martin logan...monitor audio.. boston acoustics...cambridge audio.. you name it they have it.. and they let me test speakers with my AVR.. it was 90 minutes session.. the owner of the store stayed with me 30-40 minutes after work time.. anyways.. even tho I really went to the store wanting the Boston`s I ended up with the Wharfedale witch in my opinion sounded a lot better with my AVR.... I will be visiting that store again!

It's good you tried a few out, that store and manager sound like the kind that make the whole reasearch and buying process worth it. Its about whats good with your system, your ears and your music. Bose, here in the UK, do sell a lot of mini, all in one systems, like the old boom-box kind, and of course here in the UK Cambridge Audio and MA are popular too. The guy i bouught the new Centre from had an unbelievable setup. top of the range KEF's, huge, new TV. But i still love my MA's. They're not even broken in yet.

When i first heard the Wharfdale, i'd already "fallen" for the BX2's, i remember a Radiohead track (the good old stuff) sounding very nice though on them though. Prepare to keep going back to the store and punishing that wallet!

I think those Dali's must have been counterfeit or at least dodgy knockoffs, the price was too low for new speakers, it sounded too good to be true. They should have got back to you, thats poor.

Tzuky likes this.

Yamaha RX V-475

FAT PS3

Sans subwoofer

post #24 of 42 Old 04-03-2014, 04:15 AM - Thread Starter

At this point I`m truing to figure out a way to make the sound better in my room because I have the famous problem with bass mainly in the corners of the room, I mean I hear it good but a bit thin from where I sit.. and after that we will see.

I have heard good things about KEF but they are pretty pricey lol not in my price range at all.

post #25 of 42 Old 04-04-2014, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

At least you have a decent shop to go to. From that list of speakers it sounds alright. Hopefully it's not located that far from you. You'd be surprised how hard it can be, even here in the States, to find a decent shop. Most of the smaller niche market chain stores are gone from my area, right outside Washington D.C. You still have to hunt and peck, even around here, to find a nice store with a good selection. And if looking for more upscale speakers like Aerial Acoustics or Acoustic Zen, just to name a few, you had better be prepared to not audition without a long drive somewhere. It will likely even be a challenge for me to do a serious audition of the PSB Synchrony Ones, when I upgrade from the Emeralds 97s, and they are far more affordable than the brands I previously mentioned. C'est La Vie!
post #26 of 42 Old 04-04-2014, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Wow that surprises me, I always tough that there are a lot more stores like that in the US but I guess I was wrong. I see a lot of guys talking about stores in the UK (in the whathifi forum) because they even offer home audition for a week... this is outstanding because you never now how the speakers will sound in your home.. with the wasfedales I was experiencing some lack of bass in my sweet spot i guess due to cancellations but with some EQ and a bet of repositioning (as far as possible its a tiny room) I`m good... but if yu are about to spend few grand on speakers it is just unacceptable to get `em without serious audition as you said.

And by the way I now realize how lucky I am.. the store I`m talking about is 3 minutes from my home.. 3 minutes walking I mean... I`m pretty sure if I could afford some of their expensive stuff one day, they will be happy to help me install it at home. Also I saw one speaker setup there... (I did not ask the guy to play that system because after that I`m guessing I was not going to like what I`m about to buy lol) it was Zu Audio - Omen http://www.zuaudio.com/loudspeakers/omen-1b it looks just outstanding and I`m sure it sounds even better.

post #27 of 42 Old 04-05-2014, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow, that's very nice for you, Tzuky. That shop having Zu speakers available says a lot. You should be good to go for a long time as you continue to grow your system(s).

Please don't misunderstand, I may have painted too bleak a picture about good shops being available here in the States. In many areas in the U.S. they are plentiful but it all depends on where you live and how much the better shop owners want to carry for auditioning. Our "big box" stores are getting fewer in number and they keep their higher end selections to a few brands, concentrating on lower end volume sales.

Count your blessings, my friend smile.gif
post #28 of 42 Old 04-05-2014, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Oh I know what you mean in my town we have 2 as you said "big box stores" only one of the stores has a few higher end brands and when I was buying my speakers I found out that the guy who owns the little store next to my home imports Boston Acoustics in Bulgaria... he told me that one of the big stores buys Bostons from him...Bulgaria is a little country and I believe him.. there is not room for more than 1-2 official distributerd... we are 7.5 milion peiople country and im pretty sure that 98% of the people have never heard of these brands... and I know for a fact that his little store has been running for more than 10 years now.. so I hope when it is time for an upgrade he will still be in buissness no matter where in town I do not want to buy audo equipment from someone else.

And about your situation I guess you are in luck that you are in DC... my sister used to live in South Dakota... I cant imagine that you can find a good audio store there... I have been there for a month... I guess dreams call for sacrifices... I mean... it I have the time and money for hi end audio I`ll travel to the place where I need to listen to the equipment... lose a day for traveling but after that if you get what you want and put it home you will be happy for a long time you know what I mean!

post #29 of 42 Old 04-21-2014, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

I have an update! My Yamaha was connected to my PC via RCA cable.. until 2-3 days ago... it all started a week ago when I ordered Asus Xonar DG audio card, i figured that it will sound better than my onboard VIA S1705 audio card. Boy was I wrong.. I know this sound card is cheap but I can not stress enough what a piece of s*it it is.. sounded 5 to 10 times worse that my onboard audio!!! It is worth mentioning that I got old Creative Audigy 2 that I did damaged so I can not use it any more and it was a blast back in the day when I was using it (3-4 years ago with my old PC). So you guessed it.. I returned the Asus... and kept reading about DAC`s and audio cards and as mentioned above 3 days ago I found out that I can connect my AVR to the PC via HDMi and use the DAC on the Yamaha.. so I tough what the hell I`ll try it.  I dug up old, cheap, short HDMI cable and tried it... The difference was noted in the first second. Sounds cleaner... sounds crisper and more detailed. The only drawback is that i have to lie to my PC that there is a second monitor on my setup and if you have your monitor set to go off in 10 minutes the music stops with the monitor but that is no price to pay compered to gain in quality! So in my experiance... so far.. if you connect AVR to PC...use HDMI or audio card with is really haveing better DAC than your AVR/AMP.... I tough my experience might be usefull for some of your guys

Benjitb likes this.
post #30 of 42 Old 04-24-2014, 06:11 PM

Hi Tzuky, good to hear the update. Sounds like things are rolling along nicely for you.

Can i just check, do you mean you are going: PC - HDMI cable - AVR - Speakers?

Or is the DAC inserted here: PC - HDMI cable - DAC-AVR - Speakers?

I tested my PC using HDMI cable to a Yamaha AVR in the shop (using compressed audio music) and the quality was horrible (my PC has NO soundcard to speak of though!)

Then We used the shop DAC: PC - DAC - 3.5 jack-AVR-Speaker.  = Marked improvement.

Been thinking about buying a DAC but put off by the price at the moment.

Yamaha RX V-475

FAT PS3

Sans subwoofer

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Tags
Wharfedale Diamond 10 1 Blackwood Pr Bookshelf Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page