OPPO PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphones - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
post #91 of 112 Old 07-28-2014, 09:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 236
^ That brings up a good point though, about Oppo and how they have a 30 day return policy.
You can buy and then if you don't like them, just return for a full refund within 30 days and you are only out the shipping charges.
I don't know of any other OEM of these types of products that offers such a generous return policy.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 112 Old 07-29-2014, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
I think the unbalanced headphone outputs will be very close to the same, but the balanced will sound quite a bit better.
It also of course depends on what headphones you are using. You will need some very high quality cans like the PM-1 or PM-2 to hear the difference.
I think the balanced output are superior to the unbalanced on the Oppo HA-1; even at matching audio level. The balanced just sounds better.

HT: CLASSE CA-5300 DELTA - BRYSTON 4B SST2 - DENON 4520CI - B&W 803D2, 2*DB1, HTM2D2, 804D2, Nautilus SCM1, 805D2, SA Talent - VAN DEN HUL - GIK ACOUSTICS - AUDYSSEY Pro Kit
HP: 2*MOON Neo 430HA D, Neo 380D DSD - ISOTEK EVO3 Sigmas, Aquarius - NORDOST Heimdall 2 (all cables) - AUDEZE LCD-3(Fazor), 2*LCD-XC - SHURE SE846 - SENNHEISER IE 800 - BEYERDYNAMIC T5p, T70
post #93 of 112 Old 07-30-2014, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 102
This is what Oppo says about the HA-1 ".... All single-ended outputs are derived from the balanced signal as well...."

This means the SE output is derived from the positive leg of the balanced output, so how can the SE output sound inferior to the balanced output since its the same signal? Just curious...

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #94 of 112 Old 07-31-2014, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 888 Post(s)
Liked: 1093
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post
This is what Oppo says about the HA-1 ".... All single-ended outputs are derived from the balanced signal as well...."

This means the SE output is derived from the positive leg of the balanced output, so how can the SE output sound inferior to the balanced output since its the same signal? Just curious...

It's magic.

I'll be back later...

links::: 1.5RQ > digits > 1177a > OpenDRC-DI > DEQ2496 > DAC2 > KCT > FPB 350mcx > reQuest + Cheezewoofer Wattless Deluxe > Sweetspot
post #95 of 112 Old 07-31-2014, 03:59 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

It is the same signal; but only half of it By switching between balanced and unbalanced output (with same headphones; I could with ease hear which output is being used). Just tested by having another person selecting output and setting matching volume level. (pausing the music during switch and volume adjustment).

Edit:
Keep in mind that balanced is not only lower noise levels; also increased dynamic range.

HT: CLASSE CA-5300 DELTA - BRYSTON 4B SST2 - DENON 4520CI - B&W 803D2, 2*DB1, HTM2D2, 804D2, Nautilus SCM1, 805D2, SA Talent - VAN DEN HUL - GIK ACOUSTICS - AUDYSSEY Pro Kit
HP: 2*MOON Neo 430HA D, Neo 380D DSD - ISOTEK EVO3 Sigmas, Aquarius - NORDOST Heimdall 2 (all cables) - AUDEZE LCD-3(Fazor), 2*LCD-XC - SHURE SE846 - SENNHEISER IE 800 - BEYERDYNAMIC T5p, T70

Last edited by Berland; 07-31-2014 at 04:03 AM.
post #96 of 112 Old 08-22-2014, 05:40 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 916
anyone try the alternative Lambskin Leather Earpads?

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
post #97 of 112 Old 08-22-2014, 06:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
Here's some info from using all of the PM-1 pads on the PM-2.
More info from Tyll on using them with the PM-1 soon.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content...d-measurements

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #98 of 112 Old 08-22-2014, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

I have. I prefer them. The sound is more open on the high end and seems a bit more defined in the lows.

There is a good comparison with measurement in Innerfidelity:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content...d-measurements

The difference sounded more pronounced than the measurements might look, but then again the scale is pretty large.
If you have PM-1s, I recommend signing up for them.

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A21 + A21 + A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
For Sale: Revel Salons and Revel Studios (together or separately)
post #99 of 112 Old 11-28-2014, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just picked up a set of the PM-1 headphones a couple of days ago.

These are my opinions thus far. Feel free to agree or disagree! This is more of a first impression than anything. I am really pleased with the purchase and grow more so as I spend time with them.

Sources: various sites and media across my PC utilizing an HRT microStreamer as well as some time with my OPPO BD-105

I was a bit dissapointed with the BD-105 headphone amp. A bit dull and lifeless versus the HRT.

In that I haven't spent much time with recent high end cans, I will have to compare these to my Wilson Watt Puppies. Sorry for that!

Pros
Smooth
Fast
Neutral
Non-analytic
Extreme comfort
Detailed
Absolutely effortless
Micro-details are clear and precise

Cons
Versus the W/P - they lack the base punch - this may be the fault of the lack of a real amplifier.

Summary
Very easy to listen to for hours on end with no fatigue whatsoever. I keep wanting to hear just one more cut.

I preferred the sound and comfort of the velour pads over that of the lambskin set. Not by very much though. Both are viable options and I will probably spend more time investigating this in the near future.

Notes
Once the holiday mess has settled I expect I will purchase an HA-1 and a balanced cable. I expect that this will really be a boon to such a pleasurable headset. More to come as I get more time on them and decent amplification.

I do want to stress that the HRT really does shine with these if you are in the market for an affordable/portable USB DAC amp device.
post #100 of 112 Old 01-01-2015, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayDunzl View Post
It's magic.
It's measurable magic--check the side-by-side spec comparison on Oppo's site for the HA-1's headphone outputs, XLR vs. RCA.

My system? Google for: Martin Logan 420 CLX Descent Stage Summit
post #101 of 112 Old 01-01-2015, 05:53 PM

I have a pair of these excellent headphones.

Now I want to get a stand for them.

Has anyone tried a Sieveking Omega with the PM-1s?

I like the way it looks better than the plastic stand from Oppo, but (presumably) the stand from Oppo fits the contour exactly. The measurements for the Omega show it at least a half inch narrower than the chord across the PM-1's headband. Which means for all the graceful bentwood construction of the Omega, it might be not much better than hanging them off a coathanger (because if the contour doesn't match, then the weight isn't evenly distributed on the curve, only on the apex).

Last edited by jimshowalter; 01-01-2015 at 05:56 PM.
post #102 of 112 Old 01-05-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimshowalter View Post
I have a pair of these excellent headphones.

Now I want to get a stand for them.

Has anyone tried a Sieveking Omega with the PM-1s?

I like the way it looks better than the plastic stand from Oppo, but (presumably) the stand from Oppo fits the contour exactly. The measurements for the Omega show it at least a half inch narrower than the chord across the PM-1's headband. Which means for all the graceful bentwood construction of the Omega, it might be not much better than hanging them off a coathanger (because if the contour doesn't match, then the weight isn't evenly distributed on the curve, only on the apex).
I asked the same question on head-fi and a person tried their PM-1s with an Omega. They said it fit okay, but only if they expanded the headband all the way, otherwise it pinched the cups. So no Omega for me. Ordered a stand from Oppo.

post #103 of 112 Old 01-06-2015, 01:41 AM

Picked up the stand today. Fits perfectly. And looks way better in person than it looks in any photos I've seen.

post #104 of 112 Old 04-12-2015, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Hi

I have three questions regarding pm2. Could anyone help me with this?

1. Can I just plug into my receiver to listen to my movie w/o buying oppo's HA amplifier?
2. Can you hear 5.1 like surrounding sound using pm2? or pm2 is just for two channel stereo music?
3. Does it have longer than 16.2 ft (5 meters) cable? or even wireless?

Thanks.
post #105 of 112 Old 04-12-2015, 01:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roudan View Post
Hi

I have three questions regarding pm2. Could anyone help me with this?

1. Can I just plug into my receiver to listen to my movie w/o buying oppo's HA amplifier?
2. Can you hear 5.1 like surrounding sound using pm2? or pm2 is just for two channel stereo music?
3. Does it have longer than 16.2 ft (5 meters) cable? or even wireless?

Thanks.
1) Yes, as long as your processor has a headphone output.

2) The Oppo headphones are designed for 2-channel audio, and devices like a BDP-105D or your receiver
are designed to downmix any multi-channel audio to 2-channel audio before outputting said audio over
the headphone output. The quality of sound out of any given headphone output is dependent on any given
piece of gear and the engineering and construction of said gear.

3) No, but you can buy longer aftermarket cables that will work the headphones, and prices range from
inexpensive to very expensive. The Oppo headphones are not wireless capable either, but again there
are aftermarket device that you can place between the headphones and audio device that can render
wireless capabilities. Usually most devices like that will downgrade/compress the quality of audio though.
Roudan likes this.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #106 of 112 Old 04-13-2015, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 3922
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper At $1099, they need to sound absolutely great to be a good deal. And the way Oppo tends to do business, there are not likely to be any special sale prices ever on new units, so that is the street price.  It will be interesting to read some reviews when they come out.

Yes it will be interesting if they are worth the full MSRP!
well? are they?

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #107 of 112 Old 04-13-2015, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimshowalter View Post
Picked up the stand today. Fits perfectly. And looks way better in person than it looks in any photos I've seen.
Is this the stand you picked up today? Sieveking Omega

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #108 of 112 Old 04-13-2015, 10:46 AM

No, I got the one from Oppo.
eljr likes this.

post #109 of 112 Old 04-13-2015, 11:02 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked: 1247
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
well? are they?
No personal experience but you may want to check out the Hi Fi Man HE series headphones. The HE400 is my avatar. They are also planar magnetics, perform very well and are about half the price of the Oppo. It would be a great comparison, although one I haven't made personally.
eljr likes this.
post #110 of 112 Old 04-13-2015, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post
No personal experience but you may want to check out the Hi Fi Man HE series headphones. The HE400 is my avatar. They are also planar magnetics, perform very well and are about half the price of the Oppo. It would be a great comparison, although one I haven't made personally.
I have the HE500 on order a few weeks now based on your avatar and previous conversations with you. Should have them by next week. I was going to go with the HE400 but with these models discontinued I was able to pass on the Oppo PM1 and get the HE500, PSB M4U 1 High Performance (highly regarded) and I have $300 left for ear phones for my Pono for walking in the park.

Any suggestions on the Pono buds? I have a thread here. Don't really like the suggestions yet.

(the PSB are not yet ordered, have them on my watch list)

post #111 of 112 Unread Today, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Igor Levitsky of Oppo Digital discusses Headphone Technology

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/igo...ne-technology/
post #112 of 112 Unread Today, 02:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicrecording View Post
Nice! TY!

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page