PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphones

Proprietary Planar Magnetic Technology

Life-like, Natural Sound Quality

High Sensitivity & Scalability

Plush Padding & Reduced Weight for Exceptional Comfort

price: $1,099

Larger than Life Sound
To Hear the Smallest Detail

The OPPO PM-1 Planar Magnetic headphone offers a different way of thinking about planar magnetic technology. The PM-1 is characterized by its natural, dynamic, and engaging sound quality with an emphasis on comfort and reduced weight. It is the result of many years of research led by a team comprised of passionate audio and acoustics engineers, chemical and materials scientists, and audiophiles. A number of technological breakthroughs have made their way into the PM-1, including the use of a unique 7-layer diaphragm, double-sided spiraling coils, and an FEM-optimized magnet system.

OPPO PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Planar Magnetic Technology

The OPPO PM-1 utilizes a planar magnetic driver that sets it apart from the majority of headphones on the market. Sound is generated by a very thin and light diaphragm whose entire surface area is evenly driven. The diaphragm is driven in a symmetric pull-push manner, and the magnetic system and conductor patterns have been optimized for maximum sensitivity and consistency. This allows the diaphragm to generate very stable and linear piston-like vibrations, ensuring phase coherence and high resolution performance with minimal distortion.

Unique to the OPPO PM-1 is the use of a double-sided diaphragm, which allows us to place twice as many conductors within the magnetic field and eliminate any passive return zones where the conductors do not work. This results in the use of 100% of our conductor length, which in turn results in greater efficiency. In addition, our flat conductor pattern eliminates inductance-related intermodulation distortion, common with dynamic headphones, and the OPPO PM-1’s purely resistive impedance means that sound quality is unaffected by a headphone amplifier’s output impedance.

The OPPO PM-1 combines high sensitivity with low weight, allowing it to be used freely with portable devices without requiring additional amplification. Its circumaural, open back design provides the best in sound quality and comfort, and the overall rugged construction ensures that the headphones can withstand mechanical and environmental stress.

These aspects of the OPPO PM-1’s design combine to provide a transparent, highly dynamic sound that exhibits well-balanced tonal qualities with very little distortion, resulting in a listening experience that is both free of fatigue and capable of communicating every nuance of your favorite music.

OPPO PM-1 Headphone Left Cup OPPO PM-1 Headphone Wood Box
Uniquely Better
OPPO PM-1 Headphone User
  • Phase Coherence - When sound enters our ear, it has a planar wave front with all spectrum components in phase. A typical dynamic headphone driver disrupts this coherence with its phase irregularity, resulting in less than perfect signal peak reconstructions. OPPO’s planar magnetic driver has much better phase coherency since all parts of the diaphragm are vibrating in concert without break up and delayed resonance.
  • Purely Resistive Impedance – OPPO’s planar magnetic driver has a flat conductor pattern that does not have any inductive components. This eliminates inductance related intermodulation distortion, which is especially common in dynamic drivers with high impedance and a high number of voice coil turns.
  • Stability, Consistency, Reliability – Many planar magnetic headphones have large balance deviations between the left and right channels, and accurate stereo reproduction is contingent on having a very close match between the left and right channels. During the OPPO PM-1’s manufacturing process, drivers are closely matched to ensure optimum stereo imaging and soundstage.
  • Diaphragm – OPPO’s planar magnetic driver diaphragm has 7 layers of thin materials that provide excellent performance, reliability, and longevity. The construction of the diaphragm ensures that it is very stable under thermal stress and vibration.
  • Double-Sided Spiraling Coils – The diaphragm utilizes a spiraling pattern of flat aluminum conductors on either side of the driver. The double-sided design allows twice as many conductors to be placed within the magnetic field, which leads to higher sensitivity, better damping, and even drive force.
  • FEM-Optimized Magnet System - An FEM-optimized magnet system with very high energy Neodymium magnets is used to maximize sensitivity and consistency of the applied force over the driver area.
  • High Sensitivity - Many planar magnetic headphones have a sensitivity far below 100 dB and require very powerful amplifiers to drive. The OPPO PM-1 has a sensitivity of 102 dB, which allows it to pair well with both mobile devices and scale upwards when used with high end headphone amplifiers.
  • Build Quality – The OPPO PM-1 is ruggedly constructed with an emphasis on long term use and maximum consistency from unit to unit. The headphones have been tested to very high standards to withstand mechanical and environmental stress in order to guarantee exceptional performance throughout its lifespan.
  • Comfort - Many planar magnetic headphones weigh over 500 g and are often viewed as being uncomfortable. With a weight of 395 g, the OPPO PM-1 strikes a delicate balance between weight, comfort, and elegant industrial design.
  • Luxury Materials – The OPPO PM-1’s ear cushions are made out of the highest quality natural latex, which is superior and longer lasting to any chemically formulated foam. It is naturally hypoallergenic, retains its mechanical spring-like properties for much longer periods, and resists moisture build up from sweating. The headband and earpads are made of hand selected lambskin that provides a luxurious look and feel.
  • Easily Replaceable Components – The OPPO PM-1’s earpads are mounted on rubber inserts and can be easily cleaned or replaced. This design also makes switching between the leather and velour earpads nearly effortless. The headphone cable is detachable and uses non-proprietary, 2.5 mm mono mini jacks to connect to the earcups, making it easy to switch between the longer, 6.35 mm terminated cable for home use, and a shorter, 3.5 mm terminated cable for portable use.
  • Premium Accessories – The 6.35 mm terminated headphone cable features Ohno Continuous Casting (OCC) construction wrapped in a black fabric sleeve. The selvedge denim carrying case transports and protects the headphones in style, and the alternative set of velour pads provides a slightly different sound signature.

Specifications

Designs and specifications are subject to change without notice.

Headphone Specifications
Acoustic Principle Open back
Ear Coupling Circumaural
Nominal Impedance 32 Ohm
Sensitivity 102 dB in 1 mW
Clamping Pressure 5 N
Cables 3 m detachable OCC cable (6.35 mm)
1 m detachable OFC cable (3.5 mm)
Cable Connectors Output: 2.5 mm mono mini jacks
Input: 6.35 mm stereo jack, 3.5 mm stereo jack
Weight 395 g (without cable)
Included Accessories Wooden Box
Carrying Case
6.35 mm and 3.5 mm cables
Alternative set of velour ear pads
User Manual
Driver Specifications
Driver Type Planar Magnetic
Driver Size (Oval) 85 x 69 mm
Magnet System Symmetric push-pull neodymium
Frequency Response
In Free-Field
10 - 50,000 Hz
Long-Term
Max Input Power
500 mW according to IEC 60268-7
Pulse Max Input Power 2 W

http://www.oppodigital.com/headphones-pm-1/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 98 Old 04-03-2014, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 258
At $1099, they need to sound absolutely great to be a good deal. And the way Oppo tends to do business, there are not likely to be any special sale prices ever on new units, so that is the street price.

It will be interesting to read some reviews when they come out.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #3 of 98 Old 04-03-2014, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper View PostAt $1099, they need to sound absolutely great to be a good deal. And the way Oppo tends to do business, there are not likely to be any special sale prices ever on new units, so that is the street price.  It will be interesting to read some reviews when they come out.

Yes it will be interesting if they are worth the full MSRP!

post #4 of 98 Old 04-03-2014, 09:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 493
The PM-1s are out of my price range. But the PM-2s that Oppo just announced at $699 could be of interest.

http://oppodigital.azurewebsites.net/future/PM-2_Planar_Magnetic_Headphones.aspx

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #5 of 98 Old 04-05-2014, 08:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

The PM-1s are out of my price range. But the PM-2s that Oppo just announced at $699 could be of interest.

http://oppodigital.azurewebsites.net/future/PM-2_Planar_Magnetic_Headphones.aspx

Bill

I'm definitely interested. I only recently got the HE-400s, and was thinking that the HE-500s might be in my future in a few months. Now the PM-2s just complicated that in a good way biggrin.gif

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #6 of 98 Old 04-09-2014, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 44
the picture of the box they have on their website doesn't do justice to the beauty that it the actual box people are receiving:

post #7 of 98 Old 04-09-2014, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Wow the box looks great.
Did you get a pair?
I thought they were not shipping yet.

Would love to get a listen to these.
They will have to be pretty good to unseat my current favorites-Sennheiser HD-800

Grab one of these and you will be in musical bliss no matter where you are.

post #8 of 98 Old 04-09-2014, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

they are not mine, I only have as my primary HP Denon AH-D5000 . I am waiting for the PM-2
post #9 of 98 Old 04-09-2014, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler View Post

the picture of the box they have on their website doesn't do justice to the beauty that it the actual box people are receiving:

It is too bad they don't sell it without a fancy box at a reduced price reflecting the savings for not spending so much on a nice box.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
post #10 of 98 Old 04-10-2014, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper View Post

It is too bad they don't sell it without a fancy box at a reduced price reflecting the savings for not spending so much on a nice box.
Exactly, they could sell it a little less fancy band parts and lose the box and probably sell it for, I don't know, $699 or so.
post #11 of 98 Old 04-10-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper View Post

Exactly, they could sell it a little less fancy band parts and lose the box and probably sell it for, I don't know, $699 or so.

We will have to wait and see if the PM-2 is that or not. Judging from their preliminary comments, I think it will simply be a lesser set of headphones rather than the same performance as the PM-1 while being less "fancy," but, again, we will have to wait and see.

If it is simply the PM-1 in budget form, then it will be a welcome option.

post #12 of 98 Old 04-10-2014, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

No formal review I can find just some initial impressions.
Sounds like they are very balanced, great for well recorded content, not so good for poorly recorded material, not as open and airy as the HD-800's.

Will wait for a formal review from headfi before I jump in.
post #13 of 98 Old 04-10-2014, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Not much in the way of really descriptive reviews out there yet.
Quote:

The case is part of Oppo Digital's attention to detail and first impressions, it really isn't very much of a cost increase, just to illustrate your getting something special. smile.gif

OPPO PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphones Preview - Audioholics - April 8th

Oppo Beta Group
post #14 of 98 Old 04-10-2014, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter
wse
AVS Special Member

The box is wood or plastic?
post #15 of 98 Old 04-10-2014, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

The box is a wood veneer. It looks amazing in person though. Haven't had a chance to really listen to them yet. They belong to a friend of mine.

post #16 of 98 Old 04-11-2014, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htspeakerguy View PostThe box is a wood veneer. It looks amazing in person though. Haven't had a chance to really listen to them yet. They belong to a friend of mine.

Veneer not solid wood!

post #17 of 98 Old 04-11-2014, 01:34 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Veneer not solid wood!

Yes. As far as I can tell it's a veneer, but I only saw it briefly. I think someone on Head-Fi also confirmed that it was a veneer. 

Regardless, the box is really impressive. You feel like you should put on white gloves before handling the box or the headphones.

post #18 of 98 Old 04-11-2014, 06:59 PM

Liked: 17
I see oppo has them up for sale,and taking orders as of now! Pm 1 that is:),time to get mines!
post #19 of 98 Old 04-11-2014, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

FIRST LISTEN: OPPO PM-1 PLANAR MAGNETIC HEADPHONES - by Chris Martens | Apr 11, 2014

Quote:
One point I would make is that the PM-1 is absolutely NOT one of the headphones where you have to squint your eyes and grit your teeth, working hard to enjoy the sound. On the contrary, everything about the Oppo—including both the physical feel of the headphone and its sound—is as comfortable and naturally relaxing as a weekend afternoon spent wearing a favourite pair of blue jeans and walking shoes. This comfort factor is, I think, a rare and valuable thing whose importance is often overlooked; it’s the sort of factor that spells the difference between a product that is exciting for the first 20 minutes or so versus one you want to keep using for hours on end.

Looking back, did you ever expect to see a serious high-end hedphone bearing the Oppo logo?

We’re still in the early going, here, but my instinct is that Oppo has a runaway winner on its hands with its PM-1 headphone. Give a pair a listen and see what you think.

One final thought: Did I mention that the build quality and all-around fit and finish of this headphone are simply superb? They are. Indeed, my educated opinion is that many other manufacturers could learn a lot by closely studying Oppo’s impressive workmanship in every aspect of this headphone.

Watch for the upcoming Hi-Fi+ review of the Oppo PM-1 and until then, happy listening to you and yours.

Oppo Beta Group
post #20 of 98 Old 04-11-2014, 09:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post

The case is part of Oppo Digital's attention to detail and first impressions, it really isn't very much of a cost increase, just to illustrate your getting something special. smile.gif

I agree. The box is very nice, but it really couldn't cost too much to produce.
It's more about presentation, class, and quality.
Oppo gives you a Bentley for the price of a Mercedes. smile.gif

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #21 of 98 Old 04-11-2014, 10:40 PM
Advanced Member

That's enough info for me.
PM-1's ordered.
Given that they are so easy to drive I bet an AQ Dragonfly will be a great match.

It's really amazing how far OPPO Digital has come in such a short period of time.
It was not long ago that they were the value leader.
Today they are certainly the benchmark for BD playback.
And it looks like they keep reaching up the ladder.
Their success is no mystery-real performance and quality sells.
Delivering this time and time again is a whole other story.
post #22 of 98 Old 04-12-2014, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trans_lux View Post

That's enough info for me.
PM-1's ordered. Given that they are so easy to drive I bet an AQ Dragonfly will be a great match.

It's really amazing how far OPPO Digital has come in such a short period of time. It was not long ago that they were the value leader. Today they are certainly the benchmark for BD playback. And it looks like they keep reaching up the ladder. Their success is no mystery-real performance and quality sells. Delivering this time and time again is a whole other story.

So no we need them to make their Blu Ray Player into a full fledge AV Pre/Pro and include DIRAC or ROOM PERFECT biggrin.gif
post #23 of 98 Old 04-12-2014, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So no we need them to make their Blu Ray Player into a full fledge AV Pre/Pro and include DIRAC or ROOM PERFECT biggrin.gif

Now that would be a game changer!
post #24 of 98 Old 04-12-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's a more in depth opinion/ early review of the PM-1 from head-fi.org
Quote:
Quote Posted by zilch0md
Quote:
Originally Posted by dBel84 

A preview from Chris Martens but no full review yet : http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/first-listen-oppo-digital-pm-1-planar-magnetic-headphones/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrock64 

Those are some good impressions, with a couple quick comparisons. The way he's describing them so far, it almost sounds like a more resolving HD650 (but I could always be reading it wrong in the hopes that it fits my preferred sound signature).
OK, I give up.  I have no integrity.  I had told a couple of my Head-Fi friends via PMs that I was NOT going to post any impressions of the PM-1 on this thread, but on reading Chris Marten's review, and ssrock64's insightful conjecture, I now I feel compelled to go against my prior convictions.

I want to say up front that as one of the Beta testers, I feel as if I have little credibility due to the natural bias that can come from spending four months collaborating with a manufacturer, and we can't overlook the influence of our having received a generous reward for the many hours spent testing multiple prototypes, different pads, different headbands, etc.

This thread has had some literal ups and downs and I've been reluctant to expose myself to criticism as a result of what I've witnessed, but in the interest of helping those who can take what I say with a grain of salt, without impeaching my opinions entirely, I'm going to throw my hat in the ring.

I want to emphasize that I can find no fault with Chris Martens' comments regarding (1) the efficiency of the PM-1 and (2) how it does not disappoint in any significant way.  

Nearly every headphone I've owned or spent a significant amount of time with has both exhilarated and annoyed me simultaneously, with my beloved LCD-2 being no exception, but at least its faults are less annoying by far than that which annoys me with other flagships (as with the faults of the HD800 and T1).  It reminds me of a line from a Bob Marley song, where he says (paraphrasing), "Everyone is going to hurt you. The trick is to find the one who's worth it."  That's been how it is for all of us, when it comes to headphones, right?  We learn to put up with that which we find disappointing, all the while wishing we could find a rose without thorns.

For me, that's been the LCD-2, a rose with thorns less prickly than any other rose, but the in-close sound stage, the lack of exceptional detail, and the shelved highs, although not truly "annoying," are traits that have nevertheless been something to tolerate.  I have to say, however, that these failings have never been of sufficient magnitude to interfere with my ability to enjoy music. Contrast that to two flagships with which I've never really been able to enjoy music, due to the magnitude of their negative traits:  I sold the Beyerdynamic T1 for its lack of bass energy and, similarly with the HD800, I've come to use it only as a microscope for evaluating and comparing the resolution of other components in the chain.  I don't use the HD800 for listening to music - some could argue this is because I've not supplied it with the appropriate amp, but that's point I'm trying to make here - when you start trying to cure a given headphone's failings, you're not listening to the music any longer - your just in a state of perpetual torment.  The LCD-2 has never done this to me, despite being imperfect (to a lesser degree).

Enter the PM-1.  It has detail that I liken to the HD800 (some would say that's impossible, but I'm hearing nearly the detail that I get with the HD800 when using the Beresford Bushmaster MkII  - with the PM-1 plugged into its headphone out - not using an external amp), but its detail has an organic quality you would expect from a planar magnetic - not that dynamic quality of the Sennheisers.  The sound stage is opened up accordingly - things are nowhere near as close to the head as with the LCD-2 - in fact the sound stage is very much not what I am used to expecting with planar magnetics.  The imaging, too, is uncannily good.  Those are the PM-1 traits I find most outstanding, nearly best-in-class, but not really.

Every other trait is at a level that is a little less superlative - but not anywhere near mediocre - not at all.  The key phrase in the previous sentence is "Every other trait" - to emphasize that the PM-1 truly has no annoying traits, but where the LCD-2 exhilarates with its bass and slightly disappoints me with its treble and sound stage - in a way I can live with and still enjoy my music, the PM-1 exhilarates me in no particular way, but comes close to doing so with its treble detail and air, while it disappoints me only slightly (definitely something I can live with - and not at all annoying) in its bass energy.

The PM-1 does not have LCD-2 bass, having just a little more energy than the HD650 (again, with a planar magnetic sound, not with the dynamic sound of the Sennheisers).  A lot of people would say the bass energy is perfect - as in perfectly balanced with the rest of the spectrum - and I would have to agree, but I must be a bit of a bass head in that I love the excess bass of the LCD-2.  I have to admit, however, that the PM-1's thorns are less prickly - for sure it's the better headphone from a measurements only perspective, but perhaps the better headphone, too, from the perspective of being the headphone that stands a good chance of annoying no one.

Back to the PM-1s efficiency, I'm really enjoying how it sounds plugged straight into the headphone out of the Beresford Bushmaster MkII DAC/amp - which doesn't have enough power to do justice with the LCD-2, yet just enough power for the HD650, and plenty of power for the PM-1.  The claims regarding the PM-1's use with an iPod are a bit of stretch.  It sounds surprisingly good with my Sansa Clip+, but it's much better with a little more power - as with my Meier Stepdance portable (on 9V internal battery) or with the Bushmaster MkII's uber-transparent, but not particularly powerful integrated amp.  That's all the power the PM-1 needs for great dynamics and for the bass to have ALL of the extension, energy, and control it can give you with even more power. 

As Christ Martens indicated, there is no Watts-related benefit (dynamics, bass extension and control, etc.) to be enjoyed by plugging the PM-1 into a more powerful desktop amp, even the likes of the CEntrance DACmini CX - which can deliver roughly 700mW rms per channel into 32-Ohm. I'm not at liberty to talk about the OPPO HA-1, but you can imagine what I might say in this context.

So, I found Chris Marten's review to be spot on - especially with these comments:

Quote:
(regarding the PM-1's efficiency):
 In practice, this means you would choose an amplifier, if indeed you even decide you want to use one, more on the basis of sonic qualities than with an eye toward making sure your amp has ‘enough’ power
 Again, I'm nobody, but consider this to be confirmed.

Quote:
I would say the PM-1 exhibits a just slightly warmer-than-neutral tonal balance that gives the headphone voicing reminiscent, at least to some degree, of the Audeze LCD-3.
Not having any long-term listening experience with the LCD-3, I strongly agree with ssrock64's comment, quoted at the top of this post, where he conjectured, and I can confirm, the PM-1 sounds something like the HD650.  Given that the LCD-3 is a planar magnetic, and Chris Marten is infinitely better qualified to make comparisons, let's go with the LCD-3 over the HD650 as most sounding like the PM-1, or vice versa.
 tongue.gif
Quote:
The bass is also well detailed and decidedly full-bodied, though not ‘full-bodied’ in a way that would suggest low-frequency bloat or looseness. Highs are also exceedingly smooth, though they may also be just a touch recessed. I’m uncertain on this point, though, in that I really need to try the PM-1s with a broader range of amps and DACs than I’ve used thus far in order to draw more relevant conclusions (it may be that I’ve used warm-sounding and slightly rolled-off DACs thus far, in which case the Oppo is simply showing me the sound of the upstream components used to drive it).  Stay tuned for more developments and deeper commentary later on.
Yes, stay tuned to Chris Marten's follow-up, as I don't hear anything akin to recessed highs, when using the Resonessence Concero as a DAC, or with the Concero as an SPDIF converter to the Beresford Bushmaster MkII or with the very neutral DACmini CX with 1-Ohm output impedance mod. So, my hat's off to Chris Marten for suspecting his sources in this regard and tempering his initial impressions.  And, lest I be misinterpreted here, please understand that, in the end, what Chris Marten writes is to be trusted well above what my limited experience can offer. In other words, saying that I agree with him, is next to meaningless, I admit.  In the end, go with what Chris says, by all means.
 smile.gif
Quote:
One point I would make is that the PM-1 is absolutely NOT one of the headphones where you have to squint your eyes and grit your teeth, working hard to enjoy the sound. On the contrary, everything about the Oppo—including both the physical feel of the headphone and its sound—is as comfortable and naturally relaxing as a weekend afternoon spent wearing a favourite pair of blue jeans and walking shoes.

Yes!  I've already beaten this to death, but I cannot overemphasize that where just about every flagship headphone I've either owned or spent a lot of time with has been both exhilarating and annoying at the same time, there is nothing annoying about the PM-1. It's superlatively bland!  A headphone I predict will satisfy a lot of people with a lot of different gear.

Lastly, I have to say that the slim, fold-flat design, in combination with its efficiency, will see this headphone used with everything from FiiO X3s to Tera Players. 

Mike

Oppo Beta Group
post #25 of 98 Old 04-12-2014, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Forget it, and also wrong thread. tongue.gif

Oppo Beta Group
post #26 of 98 Old 04-17-2014, 07:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic
Audiophile Headphones Review

Quote:
When was the last time you saw some headphones bearing the Oppo logo? Usually for first-time products coming from companies this is where I’ll start off by saying something like – You have to keep in mind that X has never released a Y before… But not this time!

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #27 of 98 Old 04-17-2014, 07:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Oppo PM-1 Review
"Possibly the best headphones ever created by man,
but ye gods they're expensive!"

Quote:
Verdict:
The Oppo PM-1 headphones are brilliant, mesmerising and spellbinding. They're magical and captivating and wondrous and amazing. I love them.
High-end audio loving sound-wizards with cash to spend, you won't take my word for it and nor should you. Find a shop that sells them, give them a listen. Read more reviews, or better still, convince a friend to buy them so you can try them at home. I think you'll find they meet your listening requirements.
If you're an average punter, though, you should first consider that they are not ideal for travelling or listening in bustling environments. If you want to listen mainly on the train to work, buy some decent closed-back or noise cancelled cans instead - you'll save yourself a lot of cash.
Ultimately, for these to be worth buying you're going to need some stellar ears and a bank account to match. For everyone else, there's the B&W P7.
Raptor 68 likes this.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #28 of 98 Old 04-17-2014, 02:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Those are some very good reviews for the PM-1s. I have to say I've never seen an audio review that had the components pictures taken on someones lawn wink.gif. The PM-1s are out of my price range but the PM-2s look to be the headphones for me smile.gif. I've read more than once that the PM-2s will have the same or similar SQ of the PM-1s without the PM-1s build quality. Is this true?

Edit: I sent an email to Oppo about the SQ differences between the PM-1s and the PM-2s below is Oppo's response.

Bill,

They should be virtually identical as the drivers are going to be the same. The
difference is in the material used for the housing and the earpads/headband.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.

Bill
RichB likes this.

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #29 of 98 Old 04-17-2014, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Edit: I sent an email to Oppo about the SQ differences between the PM-1s and the PM-2s below is Oppo's response.

Bill,

They should be virtually identical as the drivers are going to be the same. The
difference is in the material used for the housing and the earpads/headband.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.

Bill

AWESOME!!!!! Saving my pennys
post #30 of 98 Old 04-17-2014, 08:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

PM-1 and HA-1 unboxing with lots of nice pics!
http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?104957-The-Much-Anticipated-OPPO-PM-1-Headphones-and-HA-1-Headamp-Are-Now-On-Demo

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page