Old 11-29-2014, 12:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Freeman View Post
Currently I have:

Behringer Truth B3030A Powered studio monitors which are superb. (400$)
Polk RTiA3 Speakers. (400$)
SMSL SA-160 Class D chinese power amplifier from ebay. (120$)
Polk PSW110 Subwoofer. (300$)
Audio Technica ATH-M50 Headphones. (150$)
Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Audio Interface. (400$)

For less than 1700$ I get my audio needs fully covered, by no means at the High End of the price range.
At the age of 28 I still hear 19kHz and have been a musician whole my life, I'm fully satisfied thinking I'm not missing any sound quality or experience with my setup.

.....no, I don't have cable elevators, wooden knobs or brilliant pebbles... I'm a scientist.
You can ditch the audio interface too, and just use your phone. Have you seen the specs on the audio output of the iPhone 6 Plus:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/iph...m#measurements

As good as it gets.
CruelInventions and imagic like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2014, 12:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Wow; small, compact and powerful.
Yep, its well worth the 120$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS View Post
You can ditch the audio interface too, and just use your phone. Have you seen the specs on the audio output of the iPhone 6 Plus:
As good as it gets.
Holly ****.

Well well done Apple.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1731 Post(s)
Liked: 3066
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS View Post

As good as it gets.
Pretty obvious, that's going to be my next phone. Wow.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
Old 11-29-2014, 08:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Get the David Crosby Edition.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
Old 11-29-2014, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Wow - lots of opinions in this thread.

I'll add this:

I am definitely an audiophile, but it all revolves around one simple thing. When I listen to music, I want the voice to sound as if the person is in the room with me. I want the guitar to sound like a guitar, and the violins to sound like real violins.

I have a simple test for listening to evaluate systems; it involves three CDs.

First is Level 42 - World Machine. Several of these tracks will expose the very bottom end performance.

Second is Billy Joel - Songs in the Attic. Summer Highland Falls has one of the most natural bass guitar sounds ever recorded, IMO. Every note is precise and exactly the same level; this exposes the mid-bass transition region tremendously well. It has the added feature of showing how a two-channel system can achieve a sense of "space".

Third is John Mayer's "Olivia" The guitar intro is raw and pure, and sounds EXACTLY as a mildly overdriven guitar/tube amp combo should sound. If you have ever sat in the same room and heard a live guitar played like this, the sound is absolutely unmistakable. Any flaws in the midrange are immediately exposed with this passage. [FWIW, I can no longer play this CD in my car, as the stock Bose audio makes it sound like pure crap. It honestly makes my skin crawl to listen to it reproduced so badly.]

Notice that the second two are really about reproducing a very specific, demanding instrumental performance. Forget the technical measurements and evaluations and LISTEN! If it doesn't take you into the room with the performer, you need to change something; if it does.......you have arrived at high-end audio.

JMHO, YMMV.

Tags
Pioneer Elite Sc 55 Sc55 9 1 Channel 3d Ready A V Receiver , Crown Audio Xti 2002 475w Stereo Power Amplifier 20hz To 20khz Frequency Response 1 4vrms Input Sens , Behringer B215xl Passive Speaker Pair , Monster Clarity Hd Model One High Definition Multi Media Speaker Monitor , Krk Rokit Powered 10 3 Pair Mid Field 3 Way Powered Studio Monitors 10 Inch , Pioneer Andrew Jones Sp Fs52 Flr Stand Loudspeaker , Lepai Lp A6 Hi Fi Stereo Mosfet Amplifier 20 Watt Rms With Sanyos Chip La4636 , Kaleidescape Cinema One Ultimate Movie Server Silver
Gear in this thread - 475w by PriceGrabber.com