Is High-End Audio Obsolete? - Page 64 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-02-2015, 05:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Fortunately, my friendships are not based on what they can or cannot afford.
Bikerduck likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2015, 05:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked: 1722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
No, mine neither. ...But! ...For most people that's the way it works. ...I think.

And look @ the world now.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo2068 View Post
2,500 for a pair?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
No, mine neither. ...But! ...For most people that's the way it works. ...I think.

It's true for any hobby including automobile or timepieces...
Old 01-02-2015, 07:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Women too?
Old 01-02-2015, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have a modest system with Sonus Faber Electa Amator II speakers and two Sonus Faber Gravis subs , one for each channel
I run them on a Musical Fidelity Nuvista M3 integrated amp and a Nuvista M3 CD player , both connected to a PS Audio Power Plant . I do have some relatively good cables .
I share the speakers with my surround sound tv system . Besides that , the two systems are completely separated .
Most of the times I get by with The Denon receiver and Pandora or some cds on the Samsung blue ray player , but some times I get the itch of powering up the system (I have developed a system with two sets of speaker cables with Banana plugs and I just switch the speaker`s cables in 15 seconds) and every time I put on a Sax jazz cd and I sit down to listen , I am astonished as to how incredible my system sounds ... no words to describe it , really ... the sound is at such superior level and enveloping dimension . That is , to me , a hi-end system .
My dream speakers ?
A set of Sonus Faber Stradivari Homage speakers .
Will never be able to afford them but I can dream anyway .

Last edited by josey88; 01-03-2015 at 06:34 AM.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I would agree that "High end audio" gear is a niche market. But isn't everything? Who buys $80 million dollar apartments in New York City? Who buys exotic cars? Or, what about a million dollar Picasso painting? They're all niche markets. But, I disagree with the statement that it's all worthless and an iPod with ear buds playing an iTune is just as sonically pure.

There is so much "science" that the "art" gets covered up. I enjoy jazz to full classical orchestra to opera. Lots of record companies are right now producing music in the most superb sounding recordings. The engineering, the equipment, and now finally the consumer end product (SACD, DVD-A and Blu-Ray Audio) is giving us what we could never have back in the 60's. Check out Magnificat, or Khachaturian, Prokofiev: Piano Concertos , or Tchaikovsky: Manfred Symphony plus hundreds more. All are recently produced, multi-channel surround, some are Auro 3D. and many are available now on blu-ray.

Every year, the science gets better and the engineers get better. Do I need a "million dollar" system? No. But, do I want to listen to all this glorious music through ear buds? No way. Recently I purchased two SVS SB 13 Ultra subwoofers. OMG! The sound enhancement is way better than the two cheap subs I owned previously. And only a decade ago I didn't even know what a subwoofer was.

Marcus

Our Personal Website:

Marcus & LaMona
Old 01-03-2015, 12:13 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Pilot View Post

Every year, the science gets better and the engineers get better. Do I need a "million dollar" system? No. But, do I want to listen to all this glorious music through ear buds? No way. Recently I purchased two SVS SB 13 Ultra subwoofers. OMG! The sound enhancement is way better than the two cheap subs I owned previously. And only a decade ago I didn't even know what a subwoofer was.

Marcus
I guess you are right but I certainly heard tremendous stereo hi-fi in the seventies, with vinyl and Quad Electrostatics? The production was superb, too.

I think it is easier now to achieve a very good sound, for sure - but still not cheap as speakers are still expensive to make well. I would guess that a great sounding hifi system could be built from, what, a decent DAC (£250), a decent amp (£600) and a pair of say, Focal Chorus speakers (£700). Listened to blind, that would, at a fair volume, in a good room with a decent FLAC source be deemed "excellent" by most folk.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
Given the way our consumerist society has evolved in the last few decades, you're a lucky man to be in that situation. I wish it could be so but fear it likely never has been like that for most people.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scampo View Post
Given the way our consumerist society has evolved in the last few decades, you're a lucky man to be in that situation.
I wish it could be so but fear it likely never has been like that for most people.
For most of our planet, unfortunately. ...And look @ us now.
Scampo likes this.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I love to follow this topic. Bang for buck is my goal. It is great adventure
Old 01-03-2015, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Time is last answer. I hope there wil be some great company like Google in this field. They will change this game forever. More people can reach high quality sound
Old 01-03-2015, 07:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The more knowledge, the more money, the more access you have to the very best in audio equipment and music medium, the closer to the truth you are.
It takes great dedication, true love, true passion, many years, of experience, connections, and all that expensive jazz.

True but sad.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 2358
Guess I got lucky. A minimal investment and it sounds wonderful. What's available now for so little is amazing. Isn't technology great?
eljr likes this.

"Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye."
Old 01-03-2015, 07:59 PM
BP

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Entertaining thread to read. Lots of opinions but I find it a stretch when strangers on a board think they can and should make value judgements for others. A lot of claims here stretch credibility. Just because a paid reviewer writes something doesn't make it a fact. Similarly, just because Mark or anybody else here makes a claim doesn't make it true for everybody either.
All of us need to listen for ourselves and make our own judgements based on what OUR ears hear, how our brains process it and what our personal objectives are. We all come to this hobby from a different place and likely have a differently defined destinations in mind.
Fun just the same.
Just buy what you can afford and enjoy it. Don't try to convince others that the system you have chosen should be recognized by others at the ultimate. I've spent 50 years involved with this hobby and have loved my equipment at all stages starting with small Kenwood separates, a Garrard turntable and AR 4x's back in the 60's. Your ears and eyes will tell you what is high end to you, not some poster's opinion, regardless of their assertiveness. Listen, consider what others say, then decide for yourself.
I hope everybody get great pleasure from whatever they consider as their high end rig.
bp
GLBright and Gerardo2068 like this.

BP

Open mind, open ears. There are no absolutes!
Old 01-03-2015, 10:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Guess I got lucky. A minimal investment and it sounds wonderful. What's available now for so little is amazing. Isn't technology great?
You'll never truly know, unless you've been truly there, and everywhere. ...Up @ the highest level of the audio ladder.

* Not even close myself.

Last edited by NorthSky; 01-03-2015 at 10:25 PM. Reason: *
Old 01-04-2015, 02:14 AM

[BP] That reflects quite closely my own experience; however, I do not now believe equipment to be as subjective as you feel it is. Reading others' experiences and advice here concerning, for example, the sound of different CD players, DACs, amps and cables brought me to focus better on these parts of the chain and finally to have the confidence to accept what my ears (rather than my hifi dealer) have been telling me for several years now: that those components have reached such a level of maturity in design and manufacture that choosing one from another is almost unimportant.

Listening to a friend's "top end" system with my son over Christmas and talking to him about CD players helped me further to recognise these facts, as well as to see that he is still sloshing around in snake oil and is still - after half a lifetime and spending a mass of money - listening to electronics rather than to music.

What still amazes me is that magazine reviewers get away with the lies they do. Reading only yesterday in an online hifi magazine, for example, of the different sounds of the DACs in a Sonos, Arcam and Naim. They are clearly either deluded or making it up.
LeightonBeck and SMHarman like this.

Last edited by Scampo; 01-04-2015 at 02:16 AM. Reason: Insert name for clarity.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scampo View Post
[BP] That reflects quite closely my own experience; however, I do not now believe equipment to be as subjective as you feel it is. Reading others' experiences and advice here concerning, for example, the sound of different CD players, DACs, amps and cables brought me to focus better on these parts of the chain and finally to have the confidence to accept what my ears (rather than my hifi dealer) have been telling me for several years now: that those components have reached such a level of maturity in design and manufacture that choosing one from another is almost unimportant.

Listening to a friend's "top end" system with my son over Christmas and talking to him about CD players helped me further to recognise these facts, as well as to see that he is still sloshing around in snake oil and is still - after half a lifetime and spending a mass of money - listening to electronics rather than to music.

What still amazes me is that magazine reviewers get away with the lies they do. Reading only yesterday in an online hifi magazine, for example, of the different sounds of the DACs in a Sonos, Arcam and Naim. They are clearly either deluded or making it up.
Agree with everything said here. These hi-end reviewers are something else, aren't they? Most of them, IMO, are FOS. I love when they compare cables, especially digital cables. Makes me want to laugh out loud. Also, they can't even give negative reviews anymore. I heard of one review recently of speakers I think in stereophile where the reviewer had to attenuate the treble of the speakers (not sure how, but not with tone controls) because he found them excessively bright and he STILL gave them a good review.

I have a hi-end system, but I'm not going to delude myself into thinking that it sounds twice as good as a system half its price. I like the looks of it, it's audio jewelry and I can accept that. The biggest difference is the DSP room correction I use which I could never do without.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 754
Maybe the relationship between price and perceived quality isn't a linear relationship but some sort of logarithmic one?

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
Old 01-04-2015, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 2829
Quote:
And only that niche knows best.
there is something to be said for that lifestyle.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmd2 View Post

I have a hi-end system, but I'm not going to delude myself into thinking that it sounds twice as good as a system half its price. I like the looks of it, it's audio jewelry and I can accept that.
congratulations to you. few here can

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

look at what?

as compared to???

Old 01-04-2015, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Is High-End Audio Obsolete?

So the only thing I have to worry about on my next purchase is the speaker only?

After I already have a decent amp and cables, from now on my only goal is to focus on speakers only?

I should just put my budget 100% on quality speakers? I already have a decent amp,DAC and cables.

Thanks
Old 01-04-2015, 02:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
look at what?

as compared to???
North Korea?
Old 01-04-2015, 02:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo2068 View Post
So the only thing I have to worry about on my next purchase is the speaker only?

After I already have a decent amp and cables, from now on my only goal is to focus on speakers only?

I should just put my budget 100% on quality speakers? I already have a decent amp,DAC and cables.

Thanks
Magico makes some great performing (sounding) loudspeakers.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

I mean in the future I only have to worry about upgrading the speaker alone to get better sound?
Old 01-04-2015, 03:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

...And acoustical room treatments. ...Plus Dirac Live EQ for the final touches.

And then get back to vinyl (turntable and all that jazz). ...Or you can pursue the digital world with a Trinity DAC and a Trinity CD/SACD transport.
Gerardo2068 likes this.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

...High-resolution music server with two professional monitors. ...That too.
Gerardo2068 likes this.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:27 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks
Old 01-04-2015, 05:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Gerardo, I'm trying to make out your avatar; an Arcam AV receiver?

EDIT: I think I got it...a Rotel RA-1570 integrated amp?

Last edited by NorthSky; 01-04-2015 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Is High-End Audio Obsolete?

Quote:
Gerardo, I'm trying to make out your avatar; an Arcam AV receiver?

EDIT: I think I got it...a Rotel RA-1570 integrated amp?

Yes. My current setup is Rotel RA-1570 and a pair of B&W 683s2

Tags
Pioneer Elite Sc 55 Sc55 9 1 Channel 3d Ready A V Receiver , Crown Audio Xti 2002 475w Stereo Power Amplifier 20hz To 20khz Frequency Response 1 4vrms Input Sens , Behringer B215xl Passive Speaker Pair , Monster Clarity Hd Model One High Definition Multi Media Speaker Monitor , Krk Rokit Powered 10 3 Pair Mid Field 3 Way Powered Studio Monitors 10 Inch , Pioneer Andrew Jones Sp Fs52 Flr Stand Loudspeaker , Lepai Lp A6 Hi Fi Stereo Mosfet Amplifier 20 Watt Rms With Sanyos Chip La4636 , Kaleidescape Cinema One Ultimate Movie Server Silver
Gear in this thread - 475w by PriceGrabber.com