Is High-End Audio Obsolete? - Page 79 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-11-2015, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 77
A solid gold speaker would be something to behold. I would like to behold it.

I imagine that it would be quite a specimen of engineering excellence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2015, 08:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1328 Post(s)
Liked: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post
I'm pretty sure that's not a joke and is true, Amir. Brian Williams himself was there.
I am sure. Maybe the Pope was there too. It is the Internet. Everything we read must be believed. If so, you should believe this too: http://hub.contactmusic.com/news/bon...cident_1054681 (note the date being the same time as said concert)

"Bono Denies Clapping Incident
by WENN | 27 December 2007

Rocker Bono has dismissed reports he silenced an audience in Glasgow, Scotland, recently to demonstrate the plight of poverty in Africa by clapping his hands. The U2 singer was alleged to have told the crowd to be quiet, saying, "Every time I clap my hands, a child in Africa dies." A member of the crowd is then said to have heckled, "Well, stop doing it then!" But a spokesperson for Bono insists the star is baffled by the claims, which have been circulating the Internet via email. The representative tells the New York Daily News, "He's never even done the clapping thing."

You are a victim of believing chain mails Chu. Maybe you and Ratman believe what you see on tabloid covers too but let's not bring that stuff into these threads please.
natchie and Naughtilus like this.

Amir
Retired Technology Insider
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"
Old 02-11-2015, 08:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post
The transformation of the forum is remarkable and unfortunate in the last few years in this regard.
As they say, only thing constant is the change.
Quote:
The balance of the discussion has been lost and for no good reason.
That's your (high(price)-end AV store owner) personal view.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 1121
OK, who ordered the wet blanket?

Amir, Brian Williams was accused of lying. See what Chu did there?

Lets keep this thread a war free zone, OK? It's kinda fun.
Chu Gai likes this.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 773
keep it civil please, as I am subscribed and (was) enjoying this thread
charmerci and Naughtilus like this.

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle
Old 02-11-2015, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeTime View Post
A solid gold speaker would be something to behold. I would like to behold it.

I imagine that it would be quite a specimen of engineering excellence.
I remember writing to the Higher-Fi owners regarding their published list of expensive high-end speakers. I asked where is the B&W Nautilus in that list? They wrote back that it was too cheap to be considered. $100K was bare minimum to get in as last place and price is the only criteria, no mention of engineering or performance.

AKG K280 / K141 + SMSL sApII Pro v9 + SMSL M2 + 24V & 5V LPSU ► Wimp Premium
Old 02-11-2015, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Do we need to be reborn in order to find the renewed reasons for our passion?

The pursuit of happiness in music reproduction and in video caption; what is stopping us to penetrate deeper into?

Are we limited by conventional wisdom and music from our youth?

I am asking sincerely.
For some, such happiness is posting bragging online how good their audio electronic gear sounds without challenges. But when the challenges do come up, they get all bent out of shape and start complaining how bad things have gotten on the forum and ...etc. Yeah, those people just can't enjoy their own audio system for what it is.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by spkr View Post
As they say, only thing constant is the change. That's your (high(price)-end AV store owner) personal view.
I don't understand Amir's protests considering there aren't any high-end products on the Madrona Digital website. Everything is way under $100K per component.

AKG K280 / K141 + SMSL sApII Pro v9 + SMSL M2 + 24V & 5V LPSU ► Wimp Premium
Old 02-11-2015, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
As they say, only thing constant is the change. That's your (high(price)-end AV store owner) personal view.
I can imagine how owners of high/price end stores feel these days. Recently I needed a new receiver to drive my SRS SDA polks and went to Listen UP in Albuquerque. It was a nice store and absolutely dead. I was the only one there. The cheapest receiver was a marantz that retailed over 1K. 20 years ago I probably would have paid that or more. I ended up buying a sony STR-DN840 and it sounds amazing. No question about it. It sounds better then my 1980's Denon POA 2400 class A. Plus it has USB (with MP3 and FLAC!) and BT which is something I use all the time. The Sony allows for Bi amplification. The crazy thing it only costs 300 dollars. My setup blows away a 5000K dollar system the guy at Listen up was trying to sell me. Although I have the advantage of driving some Vintage Polk SRS SDA's. I know they deserve better but I found out that you can now buy excellent receivers at commodity prices. That has got to piss off those selling the expensive stuff.

Another thing I observed when I was shopping for a receiver is the higher end gear normally does not include BT, USB and all the newer technology. I know the purist here will say that is sacrilege. But nevertheless times are changing and there are folks that want that combination of high end and having a simple BT function. I'm sure its possible to add that functionality while keeping the high end output isolated. The bottom line is the guy at Listen Up did not have 1 receiver that offered BT. It ended up being a deal killer being I can afford to pay more. Sure, 20 years ago the only tech I had was my music. Now have a Moto X phone, 5 laptops and a tablet. And every one of those devices can now play wireless through my Sony receiver and to my Polks that were made in mid 1980's. The past mixed with future tech.

I still have a Mitsubishi DP 311R rigid stable platter CD player with reference monster interconnects for when i want the best output. But optical media is such a pain in the ass. That too, is dying.

The question of this thread is high end audio dead? Well in Albuquerque it is dying to be sure. Its not obsolete yet. There are always people with the means that will buy the pricey stuff. But not like it used to be.

Anyway great thread. Very relevant.
markrubin and imagic like this.

Last edited by DesertNMABQ; 02-11-2015 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughtilus View Post
What are your impressions when you see $6M solid gold speakers?
Those are some damn fine $1M gold speaker connectors.
Chu Gai and Naughtilus like this.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post
Maybe you and Ratman believe what you see on tabloid covers too but let's not bring that stuff into these threads please.
How did I get into this?
Old 02-11-2015, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertNMABQ View Post
I know they deserve better but I found out that you can now buy excellent receivers at commodity prices. That has got to piss off those selling the expensive stuff.
That's why they conjure up all kinds of folklore about high(price)-end audio gears being worth extra cost, such as lower measurable jitter with some graphics and deceptive wordings. Sadly, some people fall for such sales pitch and say things like "we learn way more from people like him than a lot of other people reunited all together".
Old 02-11-2015, 12:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4403 Post(s)
Liked: 1718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
How did I get into this?
It depends.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 754
Quote:
How did I get into this?
Dunno. He repeatedly missed the joke? Don't expect an apology.
Ratman likes this.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
Old 02-11-2015, 12:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
That's why they conjure up all kinds of folklore about high(price)-end audio gears being worth extra cost, such as lower measurable jitter with some graphics and deceptive wordings. Sadly, some people fall for such sales pitch and say things like "we learn way more from people like him than a lot of other people reunited all together".
Hey, that remark resembles me.

But it's true; without people in the high-end audio business we wouldn't have this conversation in the first place.
...And we wouldn't learn as much as we do now.

* I've read intelligent discussions on technical audio subjects where I was climbing the knowledge ladder (what I strive most for in my intellect advancement of my audio hobby), just to end up into vanishment.

It's a tough passion to be in; it has all type of bumps along the way, and no matter how low or how high you are.
But we always have the ♪ music as our last u!timate spiritual savior of our own soul. ...There is no high-end on that, but all equal-end.
Naughtilus and biggin like this.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Ya got to have some good herb up there in BC!
Old 02-11-2015, 02:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Funny you mentioned that, because not only we do but also because the high-end audio can live without it, and for that reason alone it'll never get completely obsolete. ...It's like an "unnatural" high.

* By the way Mr. Ratman, do you, like most high-end audiophiles, bi-wire your speakers?
Old 02-11-2015, 03:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
* By the way Mr. Ratman, do you, like most high-end audiophiles, bi-wire your speakers?
No. Why? Am I not now "high end" Mr. NorthSky?
Old 02-11-2015, 03:14 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked: 423
The issue with this is that many view high end as $$$$$$$$$$$ and a way to show off just like cars BMW, Mercedes, FErari and so on! For me it's all about good music and pleasing to the eye with out breaking the bank.

Plus as we age hearing oss is inevitable:

Tiny hair cells inside your inner ear help you hear. They pick up sound waves and change them into the nerve signals that the brain interprets as sound. Hearing loss occurs when the tiny hair cells are damaged or die. The hair cells do not regrow, so most hearing loss caused by hair cell damage is permanent.There is no known single cause of age-related hearing loss. Most commonly, it is caused by changes in the inner ear that occur as you grow older. Your genes and loud noise (such as from rock concerts or music headphones) may play a large role.
The following factors contribute to age-related hearing loss:
  • Family history (age-related hearing loss tends to run in families)
  • Repeated exposure to loud noises
  • Smoking (smokers are more likely to have such hearing loss than nonsmokers)
  • Certain medical conditions such as diabetes
  • Certain medicines
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...pages/1092.htm
markrubin likes this.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
No. Why? Am I not now "high end" Mr. NorthSky?
No no, that's good, that's real good because bi-wiring is totally superfluous/superficial...it does nothing positive for the brain.

So, you are effectively more hi-end than high-end people who bi-wire their speakers. ...See, not bad after all.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I suggest someone provide the "definition(s)" of:

Low end audio
Middle of the road audio
High end audio

And... break it down into:
speakers
wires
cables
AVR's
amps
preamps
DAC's
turntables
PC's
NAS's
etc...

This has been and now becoming more silly.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

So, handicapped people, ...war veterans blinded/hearing damaged by grenades etc., old age pensioners, children living in the streets without a roof, drug addicts, hospitalized women, marijuana smokers, people on social assistance, people on death row, people living in the poorest of the poorest neighborhoods of Brazil, ...they are pretty much out of the loop?
...They'll never have the unfortunate chance of experiencing the high-resolution end of audio?

...Kind of make it automatically obsolete to them, no?
Old 02-11-2015, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 773
time

please take the high road in every post
if you see a problematic post, please do not quote it or respond to it: report it to the mods to handle

Tags
Pioneer Elite Sc 55 Sc55 9 1 Channel 3d Ready A V Receiver , Crown Audio Xti 2002 475w Stereo Power Amplifier 20hz To 20khz Frequency Response 1 4vrms Input Sens , Behringer B215xl Passive Speaker Pair , Monster Clarity Hd Model One High Definition Multi Media Speaker Monitor , Krk Rokit Powered 10 3 Pair Mid Field 3 Way Powered Studio Monitors 10 Inch , Pioneer Andrew Jones Sp Fs52 Flr Stand Loudspeaker , Lepai Lp A6 Hi Fi Stereo Mosfet Amplifier 20 Watt Rms With Sanyos Chip La4636 , Kaleidescape Cinema One Ultimate Movie Server Silver