Is High-Resolution Audio Irrelevant? - Page 18 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

Old 06-05-2014, 04:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayDunzl View Post

Sometimes I think the people here that are the closest to the science may be the farthest from the art.

On the other hand, during a little lunch party at my old house in The Woodlands, a lady was sitting in the chair, I asked how does it sound?

With her cajun drawl, she said "I don't know. I don't listen intellectually."

Somehow I missed all the comments until just now.

Interesting responses.

Music started for me in 1959 in Birmingham Alabama - dad built an Eico stereo integrated and mono FM tuner, AM radio under the pillow at night, I played clarinet and trombone at school and in marching band, particpated in late 60's-70's music consumption and enjoyment, many little jam sessions, avoided Vietnam, saw a few supergroups, ran sound for a rocking lounge band for a year, worked on the road for a long time (telecom/data), never collected LP - the inevitable scratch dilemma, settled down some in mid 90's, prefer listening to recordings where real people play real instruments, don't have any aspiration to build a theatre, still have only two channels, am 61.

My system is stable, very very satisfied with it for the low-decibel high-volume listening I do.

Old MartinLogan reQuests, used Krell pre and monoblocks, new Benchmark DAC2, HD650, scrapwire cabling, pc connected. The electrostatic panels sucked me in in 1995 and still do. Speaker crossover - panel to 12" - is 180hz.

The art part exists on its own (with its own sciences), the AV science part brings a more than reasonable facsimile of the art home.

Is high resolution audio irrelevant? Not to me, I'm for better reproduction. Is 24/xx the answer? Apparently not, but it isn't a step backwards.

I noticed no comments concerning the lady that doesn't listen intellectually, which I considered to be the balance for the first statement in the post.

I'll be back later...

links::: 1.5RQ > digits > 1177a > OpenDRC-DI > DEQ2496 > DAC2 > KCT > FPB 350mcx > reQuest > Sweetspot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2014, 04:49 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 1211
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

What posts inform you of this "clear" inference?

It's what we call deductive reasoning, common sense as it were.

Maybe not. Sounds like fear of the unknown to me.
Quote:
I have 4 hours free Saturday for my hobby, what am I going to do?

I recommend using it to listen to music. That seems better to me than doing a stereo shop crawl or spending the day surfing the web looking at subjective reviews of audio gear that you wish you had.
Quote:
Am I gonna spend that time setting up a double blind study, making sure several systems are level matched (insure they sound the same) and sit around saying, "yeah, everything sounds the same" or listen to 6 or 7 musical recording?

Excluded middle argument. Those aren't the only two options. In fact the two options I listed above which are conducting a real or virtual stereo store crawl is far,far more likely than the DBT. The obvious intent was to show disrespect for people with a more scientific orientation.
Quote:
There is nothing wrong with spending the day trying to make various equipment sound the same but it's not what I would consider music appreciation either.

Yet another excluded middle argument with the obvious goal of making fun of people with a more scientific bent.
Quote:
Now I admit this is my opinion only but I feel confident any neutral party that came here would leave with the same opinion.

Here's a question for any self-proclaimed master of so called "deductive reasoning, common sense". How many hours this week did I spend listening to music?
Old 06-05-2014, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post

^ RobertR,

The top half of the sinewave is thus 25.77*1.4142 = 36.44dB. From the loudest part of the music to the quietest is double this or peak to peak value. Thus the dynamic range is 36.44*2 = 72.89dB. I reckon this is more than enough to fit on a CD.
CD could easily handle that.
Quote:
Question for the group is that assuming the source (master file recordings) are highly compressed and that means garbage in, by going to high resolution route, are you still getting garbage out? Will concede that you'll be hearing detailed garbage.
Once the dynamic range is compressed, there's really no way to get it back, so if it becomes garbage, it stays garbage. It won't really be more detailed garbage either.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 1211
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveting99 View Post

^ RobertR,

The top half of the sinewave is thus 25.77*1.4142 = 36.44dB. From the loudest part of the music to the quietest is double this or peak to peak value. Thus the dynamic range is 36.44*2 = 72.89dB. I reckon this is more than enough to fit on a CD.
CD could easily handle that.

Agreed.

Quote:
Quote:
Question for the group is that assuming the source (master file recordings) are highly compressed and that means garbage in, by going to high resolution route, are you still getting garbage out? Will concede that you'll be hearing detailed garbage.
Once the dynamic range is compressed, there's really no way to get it back, so if it becomes garbage, it stays garbage. It won't really be more detailed garbage either.

In principle compressed music can be uncompressed. This is the essence of Dolby and DBX noise reduction. For this to work there have to be constraints on the compression, and the method of compression needs to be known precisely. That's where it all falls apart - no mastering engineer is going to document his "Special sauce" for every track he masters.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Ray,

I don't think that the science-minded among us are avoiding the art - in fact, my experience is that scientists and engineers tend to be over-represented in the music community. There seems to be a strong correlation between people who are engineers and science who also have musical abilities. I know quite a few people of a technical bent who are professional and amateur musicians, like the first poster here.

There's a difference between determining what kind of hardware, formats, etc. on which we want to listen to our music and the actual act of listening itself. The first is, of course, a technical and intellectual exercise (and the subject of this thread), and the second is both an intellectual and emotional act. When I listen to great jazz, I can intellectually appreciate the complex chordal structures, and feel the emotion and rhythm. I can assure you that, when I'm doing so, I'm not fretting over cables, bit rates or compression algorithms. I already did that before I listened so I don't need to worry about those things, and I can engage with the music, both intellectually and emotionally.

BTW, it sounds like you have a very nice system, and it meets your needs well. I'm glad to hear that you enjoy listening to your favorite music on it.
g_bartman and imagic like this.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

Seems to me that Ray's post is about those who are in love with the technical side of audio vs. those who are in love with the content. Surely when you are obsessed with the technical side of audio (tech-geek) there is a real chance that you are not really a content lover because the technical side is your main focus.
You seem to be implying that anyone interested in the technical aspects of audio can't be a music lover. Where do you get such an idea?
All i said was ''their is a real chance that..'' , not implying anything.. It is true though that those who are highly rational tend to be emotionally less developed (not really in touch with their emotions). And it is true that a tech-geek is likely to be highly rational.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All i said was ''their is a real chance that..'' , not implying anything..
IOW, it's purely conjecture on your part, and not based on any actual data.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

All i said was ''their is a real chance that..'' , not implying anything..
IOW, it's purely conjecture on your part, and not based on any actual data.
When you are in your head all the time, rationalizing all the time, there is little room left for your eyes and ears wink.gif
Old 06-05-2014, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When you are in your head all the time, rationalizing all the time, there is little room left for your eyes and ears wink.gif
when you conjecture all the time, it's obvious you have little connection with the real world.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

when you conjecture all the time, it's obvious you have little connection with the real world.
Now you start making up things..
Old 06-05-2014, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Now you start making up things..
Pot. Kettle. Black.
67jason likes this.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 2873
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Maybe not. Sounds like fear of the unknown to me.
I recommend using it to listen to music. That seems better to me than doing a stereo shop crawl or spending the day surfing the web looking at subjective reviews of audio gear that you wish you had.
Excluded middle argument. Those aren't the only two options. In fact the two options I listed above which are conducting a real or virtual stereo store crawl is far,far more likely than the DBT. The obvious intent was to show disrespect for people with a more scientific orientation.
Yet another excluded middle argument with the obvious goal of making fun of people with a more scientific bent.
Here's a question for any self-proclaimed master of so called "deductive reasoning, common sense". How many hours this week did I spend listening to music?

Making fun and highlighting absurdity though analogy is very different.

Clearly you strongly identify with "science" and being objective and that caused you to take offense to a post that you need not take offense to, especially you.

Like 99% of the posters here I have no formal science education. The difference between myself and most is that I don't come here and play scientist.

I came here and ask tons of questions. I get lots and lots of contradictory responses, from the so called "objectivists" and I ask more questions to sift through it all.

At this point I pretty much know all the regulars and who has value and who not. Some folks have value in one area but not another.

Anyway, you and I have sparred for years here but I am very confident you have no clue what my views are. I'd be willing to be not one self proclaimed objectivist does.

I am not one of those ignorant, god awful, child stealing subjectivists.

I do see things very independent and that has caused many to stereotype me as one of the dreaded malfeasants.

I see a very clear delineation between level matched double blind testing for product development and evaluation vs doing it for home audio as an end user.

Here is what I mean. The double blind tests strive to eliminate all the factors that are very relevant to the end user.

If I am going to choose between two different amps for my home system I want to hear what each will do. Personally I accept that all class A amps sound the same but each may be able to do something different. 1000 watt amp vs 80 watt amp. Why do I care if the both sound the same when played at 50 watt?

Also, part of the home audio experience is the ambiance of both the room and audio. This is just fact.

Behavioral architecture should never be taken out of the equation for home use.

IMHO, home audio should never be evaluated using just one sense.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:43 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2546 Post(s)
Liked: 4025
Quote:

:confused:

antoniobiz1 likes this.

Mark Henninger
Old 06-05-2014, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post

confused.gif

So you believe your environment has no impact on you.

What can I say then?

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

This is not a theory. Your environment does impact you.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:16 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked: 1158
Quote:

It can only be evaluated objectively by eliminating all senses other than hearing. But then again you criticize objective evaluation so in your world you are correct.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post

It can only be evaluated objectively by eliminating all senses other than hearing. But then again you criticize objective evaluation so in your world you are correct.

I am shocked at the first two responses.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is not a theory. Your environment does impact you.
Irrelevant to the sound of audio devices. You are judging their design, not the skills of the audio dealer's interior decorator.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post

Quote:

You mean, if one really cares about the sound, and not something else. Clearly, many people buy gear based on something else, and only pretend that it is about how it sounds. Then they complain and get upset and insult others when such facts are pointed out.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Irrelevant to the sound of audio devices. You are judging their design, not the skills of the audio dealer's interior decorator.

Again with this kind of off point reply?

Where does the audio dealers interior design come in?

Your home design and the product design comes into play.

These are real considerations.

This is not metaphysical mumbo jumbo.

You people acknowledge that sound is colored by non audio factors which is why double blind tests are imperative but deny their relevance in your personal life? How does that make any kind of sense?

Old 06-05-2014, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You people acknowledge that sound is colored by non audio factors which is why double blind tests are imperative but deny their relevance in your personal life? How does that make any kind of sense?
If you want to buy an audio product based on how it looks instead of how it sounds, then say so. If you want to buy it based on how it fits with the design of your home (relevant only for speakers), then say so.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D Ripper View Post

You mean, if one really cares about the sound, and not something else. .

Music is about the listening experience, the sound is the main element of that but not the only one.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you want to buy an audio product based on how it looks instead of how it sounds, then say so. If you want to buy it based on how it fits with the design of your home (relevant only for speakers), then say so.

When you buy audio equipment and you buy it without consideration of room ambiance (of which the equipment is a part of) you do yourself an injustice. You are not maximizing the experience.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When you buy audio equipment and you buy it without consideration of room ambiance (of which the equipment is a part of) you do yourself an injustice. You are not maximizing the experience.
Like I said, if you think the blue lights on the amp go better with your chartreuse walls, go for it. Just DON'T sit there with a straight face and claim it "sounds better".
Jack D Ripper likes this.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

Very true. I learned the importance of room treatments from the good folks on these forums. I also find that my appreciation of both my system and what it is playing depends heavily on my mood. Some days, it sounds wonderful, other days, I don't enjoy it nearly as much. One or two cold ones can frequently work miracles and I recommend these as an inexpensive alternative to upgrades if you've had a particularly bad day.

Best,

Brian
Old 06-05-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

You realize you are disputing the SCIENCE of behavioral architecture.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansxx View Post

Very true. I learned the importance of room treatments from the good folks on these forums. I also find that my appreciation of both my system and what it is playing depends heavily on my mood. Some days, it sounds wonderful, other days, I don't enjoy it nearly as much. One or two cold ones can frequently work miracles and I recommend these as an inexpensive alternative to upgrades if you've had a particularly bad day.

Best,

Brian

I was going to speak to room treatments as so many here have backed themselves into the consideration of the raw sound alone.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:

Quote:

Like I said, if you think the blue lights on the amp go better with your chartreuse walls, go for it. Just DON'T sit there with a straight face and claim it "sounds better".

It is something to consider when one selects the finish on the speakers. (I really wonder why so many people select black when they have the option of a natural wood finish, but they are free to choose as they wish, even if their significant others' would likely be much happier with a warm looking natural wood finish instead of another black box in the room.) The other gear can be hidden away, if one wishes.

It would help if people would distinguish between how something looks and how something sounds. How it looks is determined with the eyes, and how it sounds is determined by the ears. I can certainly understand rejecting something based on either the looks or the sound, but one should not confuse the one for the other. They may both affect the overall experience, but they are not the same thing and ought not be confused with each other.

God willing, we will prevail in peace and freedom from fear and in true health through the purity and essence of our natural fluids. God bless you all.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You realize you are disputing the SCIENCE of behavioral architecture.
Does the "science of behavioral architecture" say that the frequency response of an amp is affected by the color of the lights on the front panel?
Quote:
so many here have backed themselves into the consideration of the raw sound alone
You forget what was said in post #532.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 478
No, I just think the point is that your mood, which can be effected by your surroundings, impacts on how your perceive stimulus. Perhaps in a comfy chair, in your room, with the colors you like can make you relaxed, focus more on the sound, maybe enjoy the experience a little more. I am reminded of driving in bumper to bumper traffic. One day I was listening to very dynamic classical music that I normally enjoy. However, the traffic was so irritating, that the music was very unpleasant to listen to so I turned it right off and felt better listening to the road noise. So to that extent, the environment effected my ability to listen and enjoy the music. Just a thought.

Louder is NOT better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement