wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Uncompromising Audio
built with the latest technology

The analog audio section of the HA-1 is a fully balanced design with an emphasis on keeping the audio signal in the analog domain once it leaves the DAC. The HA-1 is anchored by a hefty toroidal power transformer, and linear power regulators and filters with custom made capacitors ensure that the headphone amplifier has a clean power source with plenty of reserve energy. The fully balanced Class A power amplification section uses hand-picked and paired discrete components to ensure symmetry, and a motor-driven precision volume control knob allows for both manual and remote control volume adjustment while keeping the audio in a pure analog audio path.

Class A Headphone Amp and Pre-Amp
Fully balanced analog inputs and outputs, purely analog volume control, and an adjustable headphone gain switch.Toroidal Power Supply
A custom OPPO transformer provides clean power with plenty of energy reserves.Mobile Device Support
Bluetooth with Apt-X codec for high quality wireless audio and a USB input for mobile phones and tablets.ESS 9018 Sabre32 Reference DAC
High resolution performance with extremely low noise and distortion.High Definition Audio Support
Numerous digital inputs including coaxial, optical, AES/EBU, and an asynchronous USB DAC input that supports PCM, DSD64 and DSD128.Display Driven Interface
Physical volume and source selection knobs frame a 4.3-inch display for easy operation.
High Performance Audio

The HA-1 is especially suitable for high-resolution digital audio playback. Its digital inputs include coaxial, optical, balanced AES/EBU, and an asynchronous USB DAC. It is easy to connect the HA-1 to digital audio players or to a computer running the listener’s favorite playback software. The USB DAC supports PCM audio up to 384 kHz 32-bit resolution and DSD audio up to 256x the CD sample rate. The same ESS 9018 Sabre32 Reference DAC and output driving stage used in OPPO audiophile Blu-ray players ensure extremely low noise and low distortion performance. The HA-1 is compatible with Apple’s iPod, iPhone and iPad for use as an external DAC, enabling the listener to directly tap into digital music played from these devices. For additional convenience, the Bluetooth audio transport with high quality aptX CODEC sets music free from your mobile phones with a performance boost.

OPPO designs the HA-1 headphone amplifier with the same versatile approach as the Blu-ray players. The HA-1 is a high performance headphone amplifier, and it doubles as an asynchronous USB DAC, a stereo pre-amplifier, a digital audio dock for mobile devices, and a Bluetooth audio transport. Users have a choice of using the 4-pin balanced XLR or the traditional quarter-inch headphone jack. Line level analog inputs and outputs are provided with both RCA and balanced XLR sockets.

The HA-1 sports a classic design with contemporary elements. It is a desktop component housed in an aluminum chassis, and the familiar volume and source selection knobs are complemented by a 4.3-inch color screen for easy operation. While music is playing, the screen can show a classic VU meter, a modern spectrum display, or detailed technical information about the audio signal. A supplied IR remote and a smartphone app provide complete control and convenience.

Remote
Control App
The OPPO Remote Control app provides a convenient way to control your OPPO HA-1 Headphone Amplifier from your mobile device. You will be able to switch input sources, adjust volume, mute/unmute audio, set the screen brightness level, and even control playback of digital audio sources.
eljr likes this.

My humble Cinema
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 258 Old 05-08-2014, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 1039
Looks awesome.

Analog input and all.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #3 of 258 Old 05-08-2014, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Already sold out.

Good grief.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #4 of 258 Old 05-08-2014, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 78
And they had a lot of them too! Or did have. eek.gif

Oppo Beta Group
post #5 of 258 Old 05-08-2014, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter
wse
AVS Special Member

So with that experience I home they make a multichannel pre/pro with DIRAC or ROOM PERFECT from LYNGDORF.

PLEASE biggrin.gif

My humble Cinema
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 258 Old 05-08-2014, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter
wse
AVS Special Member

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1530972/oppo-pre-pro

My humble Cinema
post #7 of 258 Old 05-08-2014, 08:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 451
The one feature the HA-1 has that isn't mentioned in the first post is Home Theater Bypass. This is a feature I was hoping for and it became a reality smile.gif. Now I'm seriously interested in the HA-1 to replace my Paraound 2100. By connecting my Oppo 103 digitally to the HA-1 I'll have the performane of the 105 and an excellent HP amp as well.

"Stereo Pre-Amplifier with Home Theater Bypass - The HA-1 doubles as a high fidelity stereo pre-amplifier with both RCA and XLR output ports. A special "Home Theater Bypass" mode can be assigned to any input source, making it very easy to integrate the HA-1 as a stereo pre-amplifier into a home theater sound system."

https://www.oppodigital.com/headphone-amplifier-ha-1/headphone-amplifier-HA-1-Features.aspx

Bill
eljr likes this.

, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #8 of 258 Old 05-08-2014, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
800mW balanced and 200mW unbalanced headphone output @ 600ohm is no slouch either. Very nice!
post #9 of 258 Old 05-09-2014, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Yep, just missed out on the initial release, got my money ready for when they restock. I too was was on the fence until I verified they had the HT bypass feature. This will integrate nicely with my CX-A5000. My only question and I poised this to oppo support is when the unit is put into standbye mode does it still pass the signal thorugh if the last input selected if it has HT bypass enabled. Anyone know?

Yamaha CX-A5000, ATI AT 2007 Amp (7X200W), ATI AT 2004 Amp (4X200W)Klipsch RF 63's - Main, RB 61's - Front heights, RC-62 - Center, RS-62's - Surround, RS-52's - Rear Surround, 2 Rythmik DS-1510 DIY Subwoofers (With PEQ600XLR3 Amp) each connected with Antimode 8033S-II, Oppo BDP-95, MMF-7.1, Project Phono Box RS, XBox 360, XBox One
post #10 of 258 Old 05-09-2014, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
wse
AVS Special Member

I want a silver one :)

My humble Cinema
post #11 of 258 Old 05-09-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty8451 View Post

My only question and I poised this to oppo support is when the unit is put into standbye mode does it still pass the signal thorugh if the last input selected if it has HT bypass enabled. Anyone know?

I contacted Oppo yesterday with a few questions about the HA-1.

1. Does the HA-1 need to be powered up to use tha HT Bypas feature?

2. Can the HA-1 be set to default to the HT Bypass input if it does need to be
powered up?

3. Can the dimmer be set to default to fully dimmed?

Oppo replied within a few hours which is the norm with them. Outstanding service as always smile.gif.

Bill,

1. You will need the HA-1 powered on and on the proper Bypass input to take
advantage of Home Theater Bypass. We tried to enable Standby HTB, but we found
it degraded the audio

2. There is no way to default the input. The HA-1 will always return the last
power on input.

3. The DIMMER can bet set to OFF, but it will still engage momentarily when
interacting with the HA-1 like switching inputs or adjusting the volume.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #12 of 258 Old 05-09-2014, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

The one feature the HA-1 has that isn't mentioned in the first post is Home Theater Bypass. This is a feature I was hoping for and it became a reality smile.gif. Now I'm seriously interested in the HA-1 to replace my Paraound 2100. By connecting my Oppo 103 digitally to the HA-1 I'll have the performane of the 105 and an excellent HP amp as well.

"Stereo Pre-Amplifier with Home Theater Bypass - The HA-1 doubles as a high fidelity stereo pre-amplifier with both RCA and XLR output ports. A special "Home Theater Bypass" mode can be assigned to any input source, making it very easy to integrate the HA-1 as a stereo pre-amplifier into a home theater sound system."

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty8451 View Post

Yep, just missed out on the initial release, got my money ready for when they restock. I too was was on the fence until I verified they had the HT bypass feature. This will integrate nicely with my CX-A5000. My only question and I poised this to oppo support is when the unit is put into standbye mode does it still pass the signal thorugh if the last input selected if it has HT bypass enabled. Anyone know?

There is also a trigger input to automatically power on the HA-1 with your Processor. The HA-1 output trigger connects to your Amp.
The HA-1 turns on with the HT system but it can be powered on separately (using the button or remote) leaving the rest of my system off.

I have beta tested the HA-1 so if you have questions, I'll do my best to answer them biggrin.gif

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #13 of 258 Old 05-09-2014, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

There is also a trigger input to automatically power on the HA-1 with your Processor. The HA-1 output trigger connects to your Amp.
The HA-1 turns on with the HT system but it can be powered on separately (using the button or remote) leaving the rest of my system off.

I have beta tested the HA-1 so if you have questions, I'll do my best to answer them biggrin.gif

- Rich

Thanks for the info guys, standby mode is not a deal breaker for me. Looks like I will be dropping some coin on this baby pretty soon. I have a BDP-95 and if it's anywhere near the quality I'm sold without question.

Take care

Smitty

Yamaha CX-A5000, ATI AT 2007 Amp (7X200W), ATI AT 2004 Amp (4X200W)Klipsch RF 63's - Main, RB 61's - Front heights, RC-62 - Center, RS-62's - Surround, RS-52's - Rear Surround, 2 Rythmik DS-1510 DIY Subwoofers (With PEQ600XLR3 Amp) each connected with Antimode 8033S-II, Oppo BDP-95, MMF-7.1, Project Phono Box RS, XBox 360, XBox One
post #14 of 258 Old 05-18-2014, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)

1.  Noticed(per the review from Secrets Magazine http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/headphone-amplifiers/headphone-amplifiers/oppo-ha-1-headphone-amplifier-review/page-4-on-the-bench.html) that audio measurements do not live up to the measured specs of the 83Se, 93/95 and 103/105 BD players ... :confused:

Oppo had set sich a high bar with reagrds to audio measurements of their devices but this HA-1 suprised me indeed.

2.  And it seems all componenents are on 1 pcb, including AC/DC power supply, DC regulators and audio circuitry??? Could this be the reason for the so-so audio measurements? Many DACs in similar price range measure better. I expected better measurements being a class A design...

I'm sure the sound is great as the reviewer said so all this may be moot but still i wonder...

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers:
post #15 of 258 Old 05-18-2014, 12:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 130
^ You do realize that those measurements are of the HEADPHONE OUTPUT and not the rear 2ch output?...

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #16 of 258 Old 05-18-2014, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

1.  Noticed(per the review from Secrets Magazine http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/headphone-amplifiers/headphone-amplifiers/oppo-ha-1-headphone-amplifier-review/page-4-on-the-bench.html) that audio measurements do not live up to the measured specs of the 83Se, 93/95 and 103/105 BD players ... confused.gif

Oppo had set sich a high bar with reagrds to audio measurements of their devices but this HA-1 suprised me indeed.

Can you be a little more specific with your accusations? For many of us, ours eyes glaze over when presented with oscilloscope charts.
Bill Mac likes this.

Rick
post #17 of 258 Old 05-18-2014, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

^ You do realize that those measurements are of the HEADPHONE OUTPUT and not the rear 2ch output?...

Yes i am. I compared what Oppo headphone specs on their site(which normally are very conservative) with what secrets measured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfeet View Post

Quote:

1.  Noticed(per the review from Secrets Magazine http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/headphone-amplifiers/headphone-amplifiers/oppo-ha-1-headphone-amplifier-review/page-4-on-the-bench.html) that audio measurements do not live up to the measured specs of the 83Se, 93/95 and 103/105 BD players ... confused.gif

Can you be a little more specific with your accusations? For many of us, ours eyes glaze over when presented with oscilloscope charts.

Funny:) ... the main spec in common to Oppo and what Secrets measured is the THD spec.

THD @ 1 KHz = 0.0018% (-95dB) per Oppo site BUT Secrets measured 0.017% (-75dB) ... a 20 dB difference in performance. Now, secrets measured it at 16bits/44.1 kHz and Oppo doesn't say what test conditions it used to get its measurements. Was it at 16bits @ 44.1kHz or 24bits @ 192kHz?

Secrets made other detailed measurements on the HA output that Oppo doesn't spec and Oppo lists many specs for the HA output that Secrets didn't measure.

post #18 of 258 Old 05-19-2014, 01:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 89
The distortion for a 0dB 24/192 signal at 0.003% according to secret's measurement.

Secrets's measured with a 47 Ohm load. Measuring with a 600 Ohm load will show a lower distortion number.

Also the HA1 has a gain setting option. The lower gain setting will give a lower distortion number. The Secret's measurement doesn't state which gain setting was used.
post #19 of 258 Old 05-19-2014, 05:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

THD @ 1 KHz = 0.0018% (-95dB) per Oppo site BUT Secrets measured 0.017% (-75dB) ... a 20 dB difference in performance. Now, secrets measured it at 16bits/44.1 kHz and Oppo doesn't say what test conditions it used to get its measurements. Was it at 16bits @ 44.1kHz or 24bits @ 192kHz?

Secrets made other detailed measurements on the HA output that Oppo doesn't spec and Oppo lists many specs for the HA output that Secrets didn't measure.

I'm far from knowledgeable in the above measurements. But with that said the above measurement differences would be totally inaudible in real world listening. Or am I wrong with that assumption?

Bill

post #20 of 258 Old 05-19-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Bill:

In all probablity, it is especially with high impedance headphones. What Frank said above is correct but with lower headphones, such as Audeze with their very low 30ohm low impedance, not sure if distortion will an issue though i doubt it.

Would you hear distortion from a power amp with 0.02% rated distortion at full power? What i am saying is that normal Oppo produces components with ultra low distortion that often challenges the noise floor of the measuring instrument. The HA-1 with its class A amplifier (which IIRC is supposed to be very low distortion due to the elimination of xover distortion) is not in that camp of the BDP95/105...as far as emausrements are concerned.

post #21 of 258 Old 05-19-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, purchase decision time.

I've got some money saved up and I can make a stretch purchase for the first real upgrade to my audio gear in some years. I've slowly been buying HD Audio here and there, mostly from HD Tracks and Linn but I'll be stoked if Apple or Amazon gets into this business. So I need a proper DAC in order to listen to my new music as intended, but my budget isn't unlimited. Here's my choices:

1. Oppo HA-1
2. Oppo BDP-105D
3. Emotiva Stealth DC-1

Of the three, the Stealth is the cheapest and easiest for me to get right now (literally since I live in Nashville near Emotiva's offices). The two Oppo products are double the price but they support for formats like DSD. I'm leaning toward the BDP-105D mainly because:

1. I still have some SACD/DVD-As currently being served by an older Oppo DV-970H.
2. I don't have any content at 24/384 (which the HA-1 supports but the 105D doesn't, yet).
3. I have no plans to spend lots of coin on high end headphones...at least not yet.

What I don't know is how the HA-1 and BDP-105D compare operating strictly as DACs connected to a pre-amp (in this case, my Audible Illusions Modulus 3 tube model). I'm seeing a lot of good press on the HA-1, but I don't know if it's the right decision for me based on my needs.

Rick
post #22 of 258 Old 05-19-2014, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've got some money saved up and I can make a stretch purchase for the first real upgrade to my audio gear in some years. I've slowly been buying HD Audio here and there, mostly from HD Tracks and Linn but I'll be stoked if Apple or Amazon gets into this business. So I need a proper DAC in order to listen to my new music as intended, but my budget isn't unlimited. Here's my choices:

1. Oppo HA-1
2. Oppo BDP-105D
3. Emotiva Stealth DC-1

Of the three, the Stealth is the cheapest and easiest for me to get right now (literally since I live in Nashville near Emotiva's offices). The two Oppo products are double the price but they support for formats like DSD. I'm leaning toward the BDP-105D mainly because:

1. I still have some SACD/DVD-As currently being served by an older Oppo DV-970H.
2. I don't have any content at 24/384 (which the HA-1 supports but the 105D doesn't, yet).
3. I have no plans to spend lots of coin on high end headphones...at least not yet.

What I don't know is how the HA-1 and BDP-105D compare operating strictly as DACs connected to a pre-amp (in this case, my Audible Illusions Modulus 3 tube model). I'm seeing a lot of good press on the HA-1, but I don't know if it's the right decision for me based on my needs.

Just get the Emotiva off your list.

Why not the Oppo 103? Few need the audio upgrade in the 105.

post #23 of 258 Old 05-19-2014, 02:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post

The 103 doesn't have a headphone amp or audio inputs.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #24 of 258 Old 05-19-2014, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Oppo 103 can't be a DAC. If I just needed a universal player/media player, I would have bought that and be done with it. But I'm doing this for my 2-channel room which will include:

1. Audible Illusions Modulus 3 tube pre-amp
2. McCormack DNA 0.5 amp
3. Oppo DV-970H (for SACD/DVD-A)
4. Soundwave Grand Sollioquy tower speakers
5. Apple Airport Express

My rig is old, but what's in it is quality stuff. But I've been streaming my iTunes library from my server to this rig for some time now and I'd like to step up the sound quality since I can't imagine that the D/A converter in the Apple Airport is audiophile quality. smile.gif

The idea is to add a DAC of some kind to this rig and then connect my server to it via a long USB cable (the server sits under the room in the basement).

Lastly, I like Emotiva as a company and they are local to me and I've met Dan Laufman on a couple of occasions. The Stealth DC-1 doesn't do everything I want to do, but the price is hard to beat and if it performs within earshot of the Oppos, it may win just so I don't spend another $700. Again, I'm price sensitive these days so I can't make this choice without giving both Emo and Oppo a proper audition. But I'd rather not order both the 105D and the HA-1 and just settle on a single candidate from Oppo. But it would be nice to know from the other customers/beta testers if the products are similar sounding if just used as a DAC.

Rick
post #25 of 258 Old 05-19-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Oppo 103 can't be a DAC. If I just needed a universal player/media player, I would have bought that and be done with it. But I'm doing this for my 2-channel room which will include:

1. Audible Illusions Modulus 3 tube pre-amp
2. McCormack DNA 0.5 amp
3. Oppo DV-970H (for SACD/DVD-A)
4. Soundwave Grand Sollioquy tower speakers
5. Apple Airport Express

My rig is old, but what's in it is quality stuff. But I've been streaming my iTunes library from my server to this rig for some time now and I'd like to step up the sound quality since I can't imagine that the D/A converter in the Apple Airport is audiophile quality. smile.gif

The idea is to add a DAC of some kind to this rig and then connect my server to it via a long USB cable (the server sits under the room in the basement).

Lastly, I like Emotiva as a company and they are local to me and I've met Dan Laufman on a couple of occasions. The Stealth DC-1 doesn't do everything I want to do, but the price is hard to beat and if it performs within earshot of the Oppos, it may win just so I don't spend another $700. Again, I'm price sensitive these days so I can't make this choice without giving both Emo and Oppo a proper audition. But I'd rather not order both the 105D and the HA-1 and just settle on a single candidate from Oppo. But it would be nice to know from the other customers/beta testers if the products are similar sounding if just used as a DAC.

Why can't you use the 103 DAC?

post #26 of 258 Old 05-19-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

1. Oppo HA-1
2. Oppo BDP-105D
3. Emotiva Stealth DC-1

Based on your info given, I would honestly say that the Emotiva might be the best fit, especially if you don't want to spend more money than necessary.
On the other hand, the BDP-105 will give you an awesome universal media player, a great headphone amp, DAC, and everything that goes with Oppo's products like top notch support / warranty, etc...
The HA-1 is a bit better as a headphone amp and DAC than the 105 is. It's built like a TANK to last a lifetime, and again comes with all the confidence of owning an Oppo product.
If you were to get the HA-1, I think you could feel confident that it will serve you well no matter where your hobby takes you in the future, even into the high end realm.
All of that isn't to take away from Emotiva. They also make great products.
I would say for a stand alone HP amp/DAC, the HA-1 is the best if price isn't a concern, but Emotiva is a great choice for the price.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #27 of 258 Old 05-19-2014, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Why can't you use the 103 DAC?

It doesn't have a USB interface to the DAC functions like the 105/105D and HA-1. I have legal HD audio music now that exceeds 16/44.1 CD Redbook and I'd like to be able to play it via my computer server on my two channel rig properly. Right now, all I've been able to do is listen to it on my home theater rig which right now has a Denon X-2000 receiver (which is a placeholder product for something better). The Denon allows me to bring HD music to it in FLAC, WAV or ALAC format via USB stick, which works and sounds nice, but not very convenient.

Rick
post #28 of 258 Old 05-19-2014, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It doesn't have a USB interface to the DAC functions like the 105/105D and HA-1. .

What is it lacking?

As far as sound,

I know I ran my digital through the 103 DAC before I got the 105 and frankly I notice no audio upgrade.

post #29 of 258 Old 05-19-2014, 02:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

What is it lacking?

As far as sound,

I know I ran my digital through the 103 DAC before I got the 105 and frankly I notice no audio upgrade.

The only thing you can run through the 103 is hdmi (with limited decoding capabilities)
The 105 (and HA-1) has digital audio inputs, including 2-ch asynchronous USB.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #30 of 258 Old 05-19-2014, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

Based on your info given, I would honestly say that the Emotiva might be best fit, especially if you don't want to spend more money than necessary.
On the other hand, the BDP-105 will give you an awesome universal media player, a great headphone amp, and everything that goes with Oppo's products like top notch support / warranty, etc...
The HA-1 is a bit better as a headphone amp and DAC than 105 is. It's built like a TANK to last a lifetime, and again comes with all the confidence of owning an Oppo product.
If you were to get the HA-1, I think you could feel confident that it will serve you well no matter where your hobby takes you in the future, even into the high end realm.
All of that isn't to take away form Emotiva. They also make great products.
I would say for a stand alone HP amp, the HA-1 is the best if price isn't a concern, but Emotiva is a great choice for the price.

Yeah, its a tough choice. Ironically, the thing I won't be using for a while is likely the headphone amp feature (the Emo and both Oppos feature this). It's not that I don't want some high quality headphones; it's just that it's not high on my priority list of things to buy. I would imagine just on specs alone that the HA-1 is the best headphone amp of the bunch but one reviewer I read said that the difference between the HA-1 and 105D isn't as substantial as you might think. That's not that surprising...the 105D's circuitry was pretty nice to begin with and at this price point, you're often spending a lot of money for diminishing returns. Of course, that hasn't stopped people from modding their 105s with tube amp circuitry if you're into that kind of sound, and I already have that in my dedicated pre-amp.

The 105D can replace my 970H and probably sound better playing the SACDs I own, which isn't a lot and not a collection I'm actively buying more of. The HA-1 looks to be the ultimate of headphone amps/DACs at this price point.

So why not the HA-1? I have a silly idea of buying an extra long (about 60 ft) active HDMI cable to connect a potential 105D in my 2 channel room back to my home theater room. It may just work (and barely be long enough), but it would be a strange hack if it did.

Rick
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page