post #31 of 58 Old 06-04-2014, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevon27 View Post

There needs to a show that is geared to people with normal incomes. A show where you don't feel like you have to be earning a 6 to 7 figure income to enjoy great audio and home theater.
That's CES.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 58 Old 06-04-2014, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

That's CES.
CES is to generalised.. I'm talking about pure audio shows like this New Port shows, with more Emotiva, Polk, Deftechs, Klipsch, Tekton, Outlaw audio, Blue Jean cables, etc, etc..
post #33 of 58 Old 06-04-2014, 07:01 PM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 719 Post(s)
Liked: 1737
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post

Quote:

There needs to a show that is geared to people with normal incomes. A show where you don't feel like you have to be earning a 6 to 7 figure income to enjoy great audio and home theater.
That's CES.

But CES is not open to the public...

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #34 of 58 Old 06-04-2014, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 75

Whenever I go to CEDIA or regional audio shows, it's fun to listen to the $500k MBL system and the other $150k to $250k setups from Focal, Wilson and the like. But what I really look for is excellent performers at more realistic down-to-earth pricing within the budgetary reach of mere mortal men.  I try to find what I consider the best value at price points from completely affordable (<$1,000-$3,000/pr), reasonably affordable ($3,000-$5,000/pr), expensive but do-able ($5,000-$10,000/pr), wait for it used on audiogon ($10,000-$25,000/pr) and sounds like the super speakers but at the cost of a car not a house ($25,000-$50,000/pr). It's especially gratifying when I find something truly exceptional way below it's comparable price point.

IMHO, here's what I liked best at THE Show Newport. I'm not saying that these choices were the "best" that was there, it's just what I found the most pleasing for my particular tastes. Someone else attending the show may have come away with a completely different opinion.

I have 3 different listening preferences that I'd call (1) Sounds close to real life for un-amplified instruments and vocals that were acoustically mike'd, (2) Highly dynamic and enormously fun for pock/popular music thats usually amplified, (3)  Killer for home theater movie soundtracks.

CATAGORY 1

For category (1)  sounds like real life - here's what I thought was the best at each price point:

$1,799/pair 

Emerald Physics EP-X

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/analysisaudio/epsilon.html

$3,999 Complete system

Emerald Physics EP100.2SE amp

DSPeaker Antimode Dual Core 2.0 preamp/room correction

http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2014/05/03/axpona-2014-emerald-physics-and-ps-audio-dazzles/#more-10111

(System shown with next model up at $6,999)

They were displaying prototypes of this speaker due to be shipped within 90 days. It's an open baffle 3-way design. The x-over was still in an external box and under development. The top driver was a concentric coax with a compression driver in the center and a plastic horn for acoustic coupling. They had a sample of the show's coax driver sitting on a table next to another coax driver that was going in to production units. The new driver handles more power, crosses over lower at 300 Hz to better integrate with the woofer, and uses a machined aluminum throat for acoustic coupling (It was very sexy!). The woofer is enclosed in what's basically a very thick sonotube behind the baffle - it's completely inert, with minimal flat surfaces to reflect the back wave. It's a really smart, well engineered design for this price point.

This setup was probably my favorite find of the show. In fact, I have an install coming up that I'm going to delay until these are out in 90 days. Vocals were absolutely amazing and dynamic when using hi-res audio files.  After listening to one $30,000+ speaker after another, it was a pleasure to here something comparable for acoustical music at a incredibly low price point. They had the speakers matched with a complete system using the DSPeaker Dual Core 2.0 as a DAC/Preamp and their own hybrid class D  100w/ch amp for $3,999 TOTAL (the DSP retails for around $2k by itself). Now when I have someone that says I want audiophile 2 channel sound in a $5k budget, I can set them up with this system with an Oppo 103 player and Pro-Ject carbon table with Ortofon 2M Red cartridge. 

$1,100 - $2,000 ? 

Magnapan Super MMG

Also in this price range I was really looking forward to hearing the Magnapan MMG Super system ($1,100) introduced at last year's Newport show and voted best value. Years ago, I used to own a pair of MG-11's and ever since Gary Reber replaced the entire reference system at Widescreen Review with Maggies, I've been wanting to hear their new 20.7 set up. I was hopping this year they'd exhibit the revamped 1.7's, but instead they had the new .7's with a center and dual bass panels. The guy doing the demo didn't have pricing and mainly played his demo music at fairly moderate volume. Like all Magies, it sounded very realistic, open and natural with great imaging. But I suspect I didn't get a chance to really hear what this system is  capable of.  It's a great value at this price point, but I couldn't make a valid comparison to the Emerald Physics EP-X.

$7,100/pair 

Raidho acoustics X-1

http://www.raidho.dk/SEEEMS/3049.asp

Whenever I used to read about Raidho or Magico in The Absolute Sound or Stereophile, I found it incredible that anyone would pay so much money for what appeared to be fairly conventional box speakers. That is until I heard a pair of Magico Q5's back in 2010 at CEDIA and was floored how lifelike they sounded. Even at $59,000/pr, I could see how someone with the disposable income to afford paying this much could justify the purchase.  I later learned that the secret weapon of its design, other than outstanding drivers, was all the high tech structural bracing inside the cabinet to make it completely inert.  With new respect for this approach to realistic sound, I kept reading about ever more expensive variations of Raidho and Magico at ever more stratospheric prices (i.e: Q7 at $185,000) while wishing this design philosophy would trickle down to something more affordable.  Well, at this year's Newport show I found that possibility.  I know that $7k is a lot of green to spend on small monitors, but they don't sound small. They create an enormous open soundstage extending much wider and deeper than the speakers with vocals and instriments pinpointed in the sound field. Granted they'll need a sub to round out the lower bass for popular music, but they're the closest thing I've heard to the 3 diminutional spaciousness of the original Qual ESL-57 Electrostats. 

$16,000/pair 

Analysis Audio Epsilon

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/analysisaudio/epsilon.html

These are an updated design of the original Apogee full range ribbon speakers.  I used to have a pair of Apogees that were microscopically detailed in resolution, but hard to drive and not super dynamic. Apparently, Analysis Audio has found a way to resolve some of those issues with their current ribbon speakers.  The sound was really fantastic, amazingly realistic, with sharp imaging and intricate detail. They played louder than my old Apogees, were more dynamic, and had much better bass. Compared to the Raidho's, they were more intimate and didn't create the wide open limitless soundstage. However they compensated for this with amazingly complex inner detail and extension into the lower octaves of acoustical instruments. I actually like them better than my Martin Logans - time for upgradeitis?.:eek:

$52,000/pair 

Vandersteen Model 7

http://www.vandersteen.com/model7_specifications.pdf

I've always loved Vandersteen and almost bought a pair of Model 1's back in the early 1980's.  As I traded up from Infinity to Quads to Magnapan to Acoustat to Martin Logan and other planar speakers over the years, Vandersteen was the only box speaker that regularly made me consider leaving my beloved electrostats.  I was really looking forward to hearing their current flagship and wasn't disappointed.  I think they sounded better than the Wilson's, Sonus, Focal and other super expensive speakers at the show. Dynamic, detailed, realistic, great imaging, just well balanced all around - and very very very coherent!  

The $257k MBL Extremes are a wonderful speakers, but they require another $250k in multiple $30k+ giant mono block amps to drive such a difficult load (2,200 watts RMS at 4 ohms with 82db efficiency). At $500k total for a 2 channel MBL System, I didn't think they sounded 10x better than a pair of $52k Vandersteens. I'd consider the Model 7 to be 90% of the MBL magic at 10% of the price.  Even though they cost as much as a new Lexus, I could live "happily ever after" with a pair of these!

$199/pair

Sonawall Spodak UW-200

$599 Complete 2.1 system

2 x 100w amp, Subwoofer

blutooth/airplay wireless

http://www.sonawall.com/pdf/sw_brochure.pdf

These little speakers were the hidden "easter egg" at the show. I hate it when friends who have been indoctrinated by the Bose display at Best Buy rave about Bose Cubes like they're the holy grail, or the wife of a client (looking at the BIG speakers her husband and In want to put in the living room) says "Why can't we just buy some of those little Bose speakers?". These sound much much better at a much more reasonable price.  Huge sound field, small size, you can put them anywhere and get away with it no matter how resistant the WAF. The $599 combination with the sub would work great in a room hooked up to Sonos for distributed audio. It receives bluetooth from your phone or iPad and would make one of the best desktop systems I've ever heard (the Sona Egg costs more because of the solid walnut it's mounted in). Strategically placed, they really do create a wall of sound out of something that fits in the palm of your hand - amazing! 

CATAGORY 2

As far as Category two (2) Highly dynamic and enormously fun for pock/popular music thats usually amplified, there were a lot of speakers but the best value would have to have been the Seaton Sound Cat 8's (which were also my choice for Home Theater). Many of the speakers I mentioned above sound fantastic, but I didn't feel they would pack the same dynamic punch for popular music.

$5,200/pair 

Seaton Sound 8C

http://www.seatonsound.net

At $2,700 each including 1,000 watts active amplification per speaker, the 8C represents an incredible value. They're extremely dynamic and sounded great probably because of the three dedicated internal amplifiers matched to each driver. I haven't heard the he Cat 12's, but from what I experienced, the Cat 8's would be more than adequate for all but the largest rooms.

$16,700/pair 

Wilson Sophia

http://www.stereophile.com/content/wilson-audio-sophia-series-3-loudspeaker

I'm a big fan of finding various generations of the venerable Watt/puppy used on audiogon for clients. I've heard the Sophia's sound fantastic on popular music before, and they didn't disappoint at the show. I think they come close to the midrange detail of an electrostatic with the dynamics of a horn. You're paying a ton of money for build quality and automotive finish, so like the Watt 5's - 7's, I try to find these used whenever possible.

$99,000/pair 

Acapella Atlas

http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2013/08/22/cas-2013-loggie-audio-presents-acapella-einstein/

I thought the best sound at the show for dynamic music (under $257,000 for the MBL Extremes) was the Acapella Atlas ($99k). I don't normally prefer horn speakers, but I love how dynamic they sound. I find that using the giant horn as an acoustical coupling device between the compression driver and the room gives it a artificial "horn sound" that localizes the image around the horns.  These super systems are usually really expensive and yet can't image anywhere close to a small monitor. But the Atlas imaged fairly decently and sounded very realistic. They were very impactful and epitomize why large horn speakers are so great for popular music. Their cool looks scream "This is going to be FUN!" then their powerful dynamic sound washes over you like a waves at the beach for smiles all around.

At $99,000 new, these don't really qualify for a $25k -$50k price range, but Acapella has very similar models at less lofty price points. Plus, I find that when these super expensive $100,000+ speakers eventually come up on audiogon, they're usually highly discounted by the second or third owner. For example, the $120,000 Martin Logan Statement E2 system that I salivated over as the Mt Everest of electrostats, first listed on audiogon for $62,000 within a  year after it's release, then finally popped up again about 2 years ago for only $42,000. I didn't have a sufficient balance in our home equity line to pick them up and my wife wouldn't let me raid our retirement account.  :( :( :(

CATAGORY 2

There were only two home theater systems on display for category 3 "Killer for home theater movie soundtracks at the show" - the $750k MBL super system on the first floor ball room and Mark's small hotel room for Seaton Sound up on the sixth floor.  I will say that that  I thought the live concert footage that MBL was showing was incredibly lifelike and sounded as close as possible to "the real thing" within the limits of an audio reproduction system. However for movie soundtracks with special effects I thought the Seaton system was in a different league entirely. 

$27,500 Complete System 

Seaton Sound

http://www.seatonsound.net

5.1 Catalyist 8

4 S2 subs

4,800 watt amp

Mark's "let the dogs out" demo at 6 PM on saturday was an eye opener.  For years I've heard people talk about deep bass in the depth charge sceen from U571 and the pod scene from War of the Worlds.  I can't count how many times I've seen these clips at CEDIA, in dealer's showrooms, previous audio shows, and in various home theater systems. I thought they usually sounded great but nothing worth raving about. Up until now, the best I'd ever heard these clips was with Dr Hsu on dual VTF-15H's AND dual VTF-3 Mk4's at the same time in his very small demo theater at Anahiem which was fairly impressive. 

Mark's demo blew them all away! :eek:

I'm born and raised in LA, but I can tell you the room floor, walls and ceiling shook more intensely than any earthquake I've experienced in 50 years (I seriously wondered if Mark's liability clause in his show contract was going to cover any residual structural damage discovered by the Hilton management after the show).  I've read about how really low 5Hz - 7Hz at high decibels can cause muscular contractions in your gut but never experienced that until yesterday.

Mark had the mains turned up to match the output from the subs and the sheer volume was overwealming. 2000w x 5.1 for the cats and 8000w+ for the eight 15" drivers in the subs at 90% efficiency makes 2 kilowatts output in a hotel room a bit larger than a king sized bed.  Truth be told, when I go to Arclight for the Atmos theater, sometimes they have the sound turned way above reference levels for an action adventure blockbuster and I put paper wadding in my ears to protect my hearing (went to enough rock concerts in my youth, want to preserve what hearing I have left). I thought about doing that after the first minute or so but decided to not wimp out, besides I was having too much fun!  Either way I felt lightheaded till a couple hours later. 

Mark said the whole sub/amp setup was "just under $10 grand" and the entire 5.4 system was "around $27,500" including the Speaker Power SP-2 8000 amp rebadged under Seaton and an Onkyo PR-SC 5508 from three years ago. For comparison, the MBL demo theater was in the main floor ballroom with around half a million dollars in MBL extreme mains with their bass towers, plus another couple hundred thousand for multiple MBL surrounds and JL Gotham subs around the room all driven by a bevy of giant MBL mono blocks.  Granted the room size was different, but the visceral subteranian pressure and sheer dynamic range of Mark's demo was a magnitude above the MBL/JL Gotham's.  Now that's bass! :p 

post #35 of 58 Old 06-05-2014, 02:29 PM

Location: Los Angeles / West Hollywood / Beverly Hills (310) 684 0599
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi Scott,

How did the Spatial Holograms sound to you?

Compared to the base model Emerald Physics?

Red Dragon versus WYRED 4 SOUND?

Have you ever listened to a pair of Gallo Reference Strada 2 speakers with a Gallo bass module?

Thanks

Marc F

post #36 of 58 Old 06-06-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

There is no audio system on the planet at any price that comes even marginally close to reproducing live sound, including even a small jazz ensemble.

I agree generally with what you are saying (as someone who had a jazz musician and music teacher as a father, I grew up listening to everything from sax, flute, trumpet, drums, trombone, singularly and also as part of groups etc being played regularly in the confines of a regular house). I always compared audio systems to live music, and even when I was reviewing some speakers I'd play recordings I made of my family's voices, and acoustic instruments I owned (e.g. acoustic guitar), and I'd play them recordings back comparing them directly to the sounds of those voices, and instruments. Some speakers did surprisingly well in producing realistic playback.

I currently have some MBL omnidirectional stand mounted speakers. Of course they can't reproduce the presence of many instruments playing together. But taken one at a time they can come remarkably close.
I have recordings of my son playing his saxophone, and of my playing my acoustic guitar, and played through the MBL speakers at the right volume, if you are listening from just outside the room you would SWEAR
a real instrument was being played in there (and I have fooled several musician and audiophile guests with this trick).
post #37 of 58 Old 06-06-2014, 08:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 266
I loved going to T.H.E show and CES "back in the day." So it's always fun to see reports of the show.

[curmudgeon mode]

The only thing I ever dreaded about the shows was having to listen to "The Blues" over, and over, and over. It seems you can not be a card-carrying middle-aged, white audiophile without a love of The Blues - and producing a Blues recording to demo on a system is ticket of entry to audiophile shows. If I ever had to hear another Buddy Guy recording again....

[/curmudgeon mode]
post #38 of 58 Old 06-06-2014, 09:19 AM

Liked: 10

What no comments on Sonus Faber Aida in the mix here?  At Axpona, those seemed to be in a category all their own IMHO.

post #39 of 58 Old 06-06-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

I agree generally with what you are saying (as someone who had a jazz musician and music teacher as a father, I grew up listening to everything from sax, flute, trumpet, drums, trombone, singularly and also as part of groups etc being played regularly in the confines of a regular house). I always compared audio systems to live music, and even when I was reviewing some speakers I'd play recordings I made of my family's voices, and acoustic instruments I owned (e.g. acoustic guitar), and I'd play them recordings back comparing them directly to the sounds of those voices, and instruments. Some speakers did surprisingly well in producing realistic playback.

I currently have some MBL omnidirectional stand mounted speakers. Of course they can't reproduce the presence of many instruments playing together. But taken one at a time they can come remarkably close.
I have recordings of my son playing his saxophone, and of my playing my acoustic guitar, and played through the MBL speakers at the right volume, if you are listening from just outside the room you would SWEAR
a real instrument was being played in there (and I have fooled several musician and audiophile guests with this trick).

I have been fooled as well. A pair of Maggie 20.x driven by some ginormous Audio
Resesrch amps were playing some piano music. From around the corner (I did not know there was an audio
Salon in the mall), it sounded very real!
post #40 of 58 Old 06-06-2014, 10:55 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

I loved going to T.H.E show and CES "back in the day." So it's always fun to see reports of the show.

[curmudgeon mode]

The only thing I ever dreaded about the shows was having to listen to "The Blues" over, and over, and over. It seems you can not be a card-carrying middle-aged, white audiophile without a love of The Blues - and producing a Blues recording to demo on a system is ticket of entry to audiophile shows. If I ever had to hear another Buddy Guy recording again....

[/curmudgeon mode]

The music selection at those shows is absurdly out-of-touch and acts as one huge spoiler for me. Add a snobbish knee-jerk rejection to numerous genres of music that don't fit the bill, and you have a recipe for the sort of homogenous demographic turnouts you describe. It's a real shame.

post #41 of 58 Old 06-06-2014, 11:46 AM
RUR
Innocent Bystander

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Huh, while I was there, I heard everything from Rimsky Korsakov to jazz to gospel to techno to Led Zeppelin, and most rooms were happy to play any old digital file provided by the audience.
post #42 of 58 Old 06-06-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 633
At least I didn't have to hear Nils Lofgren this year. If I had to sit through 'Keith Don't Go' one more time, my ears would have thrown up. Looks like the reel-to-reel fad is winding down as well.

Sanjay
post #43 of 58 Old 06-06-2014, 11:59 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR View Post

Huh, while I was there, I heard everything from Rimsky Korsakov to jazz to gospel to techno to Led Zeppelin, and most rooms were happy to play any old digital file provided by the audience.

Any hip-hop, dubstep, industrial, ambient, IDM, or even... mainstream pop? 

Yes, I agree that bringing your own music is the way to do it. If you are at a show and you hear Danny Brown or Dirt Nasty coming out of one of the rooms, you know that's me and my USB stick.

I don't even bother bringing my deep bass tracks, engineered for AVS super-systems.

post #44 of 58 Old 06-06-2014, 12:32 PM

Liked: 13
Well, at my booth at THE Show, I encouraged people to load up their own content to evaluate my software. But I had 7 stations with one person demos, so no one else had to listen to each other's content. I can understand for the demo rooms, being more reluctant to play just anything.
imagic likes this.
post #45 of 58 Old 06-06-2014, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The Stewart screen was a StudioTek...according to the left plaque on the frame. It was stunning!

And an iPhone shot with a plant in the way. Why do they put plants next to the screen??? confused.gif
post #46 of 58 Old 06-06-2014, 07:07 PM

Liked: 11
I arrived around noon time on Sunday. One of the rooms I was looking forward to going to was the Red Dragon room but they had already left the show. I have been interested in the class D amps and I left with a Wyred 4 sound ST-1000MKII after visiting their room. The wife and I enjoyed listening to the Vivid audio B1 speakers ($15k). Another speaker that we liked was from Ryan speakers (R620) at 3k a pair. The web site (Ryan speakers) is under construction and there is very little information on the internet at this time but the person in the room stated the company is out of Riverside County. This was the first time I went to the show and even the wife had a great time.
post #47 of 58 Old 06-06-2014, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Good show reports, looks like it was fun.

More pictures?

I'll be back later...

equitech 1.5RQ -> various digital sources > benchmark > krell pre and monoblocks > reQuest
post #48 of 58 Old 06-07-2014, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayDunzl View Post

I might have to start worrying about future fat deposits in my ear canals if I keep listening at the rate I do.

How was the buffet?

As a lifestyle, us AV and audio junkies probably do spend a good chunk of our spare time sitting down.

As such I think we should be a bit more conscious of diet and exercise. Being overweight compounds joint and circulatory problems.

http://youtu.be/aUaInS6HIGo

www.nbcnews.com/id/39523298/ns/health-mens_health/t/why-your-desk-job-slowly-killing-you/#.U5Ny8pCN19C

www.marksdailyapple.com/definitive-guide-primal-blueprint/#axzz2i6kECO1U

Our modern lifestyle coupled with our modern foods and the effect that has on us is something we should be mindful of.
mikejedi123 likes this.
post #49 of 58 Old 06-08-2014, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

There is....it's called Best Buy. Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Actually there were some affordable rooms there. Both of KEF's rooms were very down to earth. I was disappointed they couldn't bring anything from their new reference line or the Blade 2s.
post #50 of 58 Old 06-09-2014, 01:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 1068
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2 View Post

Our modern lifestyle coupled with our modern foods and the effect that has on us is something we should be mindful of.

Yup, our modern lifestyle coupled with our modern foods keeps helping us live longer and longer and be healthier and healthier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_expectancy

In the early 20th century the average life expectancy world wide at birth was about 30 years. Right now it is 67 years. I'm running on overtime!
post #51 of 58 Old 06-09-2014, 01:39 AM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 164
You don't have a 50/50 chance of dying in the next year in the US until you are what age?

Social Security Actuarial Tables say...

http://www.ssa.gov/oact/STATS/table4c6.html

I'll be back later...

equitech 1.5RQ -> various digital sources > benchmark > krell pre and monoblocks > reQuest
post #52 of 58 Old 06-09-2014, 02:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Yup, our modern lifestyle coupled with our modern foods keeps helping us live longer and longer and be healthier and healthier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_expectancy

In the early 20th century the average life expectancy world wide at birth was about 30 years. Right now it is 67 years. I'm running on overtime!

20th century Europeans had a terrible diet compared to their much earlier ancestors and hunter-gatherer groups... www.waldeneffect.org/blog/Health_of_farmers_and_hunter-gatherers/

The high life expectancy we are experiencing now is thanks to our parents and grandparents. Many experts are predicting life expectancy to decrease for the next few generations... http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2005/03/17/1110913743754.html

Obesity and diabetes have been skyrocketing over the last few decades...

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2012/11/15/diabetes-diagnoses-increasing-at-alarming-rate/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7905734.stm

www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10888444

The advice the scientists have been giving the general population from the late 70s early 80s to consume less animal fat and instead eat more carbohydrates has probably cause more harm than good... http://eatlocalgrown.com/article/12863-the-worst-nutrition-advice-in-history-here-s-top-5-contenders.html
post #53 of 58 Old 06-09-2014, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Was anyone else at the last session on Sunday in the MBL HT room? After the sequence of clips they'd apparently showed all other sessions, the host said something like "We've got something special now. If any of you have hearing issues, don't like loud music or don't like AC/DC, now would be the time to leave the room". He then proceeded to play a track from a concert video of AC/DC from back in the day at what had to be well over reference level. That was without a doubt the loudest I've ever heard a home entertainment system reproduce anything....cleanly.
post #54 of 58 Old 06-09-2014, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ_777 View Post

Was anyone else at the last session on Sunday in the MBL HT room? After the sequence of clips they'd apparently showed all other sessions, the host said something like "We've got something special now. If any of you have hearing issues, don't like loud music or don't like AC/DC, now would be the time to leave the room". He then proceeded to play a track from a concert video of AC/DC from back in the day at what had to be well over reference level. That was without a doubt the loudest I've ever heard a home entertainment system reproduce anything....cleanly.

Dirty deeds indeed, far from done dirt cheap however!

Heavily addicted SACDBA member, starting the twelve steps tomorrow!
Jay
post #55 of 58 Old 06-09-2014, 10:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ_777 View Post

They said the same thing and played the same clip at the first demo Saturday morning. Old marketing trick to make each audience feel special.
imagic likes this.

Sanjay
post #56 of 58 Old 06-09-2014, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 138
I have heard this clip myself at another event and ran from the room. The sound was so loud I didn't want o expose my hearing to it for more than a few seconds. insanely high volume. Not sure what the point was other than the fact that want to prove they can damage yours and their hearing.
post #57 of 58 Old 06-10-2014, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 49
One of the neater things to be found at T.H.E. Show in Newport Beach was:

https://fongaudio.com/

which is a simulation for headphones via pre-sets that are actually calibrations with various speaker setups (2.0 up to 7.1) and done in real rooms. At this point, it requires a computer or laptop to run the software. It can be tried out via a download with 22 different pre-sets that is limited to 2 minutes of music of your choice, but one can just cycle through each or any of the pre-sets before the 2 minutes is up and easily AB the different pre-sets. The software is Out of Your Head.
post #58 of 58 Old 06-12-2014, 04:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 1068
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

There is no audio system on the planet at any price that comes even marginally close to reproducing live sound, including even a small jazz ensemble. For my birthday 2 years ago, my wife hired a 3 piece jazz combo,to play in our home and I realized at that point we aren't even close. I knew from being a symphony subscriber that no audio system could reproduce that sound but mistakingly assumed we were close on being able to reproduce a smaller group.
IME as one who has recorded over a thousand live performances the violence gets done to the music by the time the signal hits the output terminals of the microphones.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page