Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
post #1 of 59 Old 06-04-2014, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I just got mine and started the file transfer process before going to work this morning. Can't wait to get home and put it through it's paces. This thing seemed like a no brainer for a music nut like me. Got mint through Music Direct. Got it the next day and the guy I dealt with was very helpful. Anyone else have one if these yet?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 Old 06-07-2014, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've been eyeing from afar. Also the HAP-S1 and the Pioneer Elite N50 (no hard drive, but AirPlay and Bluetooth) - Very interested in comparisons
post #3 of 59 Old 06-08-2014, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Finally got to spend some time with it last night. It transferred my music library to its hard drive with no issues. I'm still learning the iOS based interface but the basics are working very well so far. It's a very nice interface, well laid out. The sound quality is impressive to this point. I have my equipment in a closet but want to move it our into the main room. The front panel display is small but nice and the unit looks very nice. So far, I really like this unit.

post #4 of 59 Old 06-08-2014, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
When you copied your library over to it were they files ripped from CDs or have you been downloading files from a site, if you ripped from a cd what software did you use and how did the up conversion sound, were you able to do any comparisons to the original ripped files. DSD downloads seem to far and few between with respect to certain types of music as of now hope that changes as more hardware like this starts to show up.
post #5 of 59 Old 06-08-2014, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitl View Post

When you copied your library over to it were they files ripped from CDs or have you been downloading files from a site, if you ripped from a cd what software did you use and how did the up conversion sound, were you able to do any comparisons to the original ripped files. DSD downloads seem to far and few between with respect to certain types of music as of now hope that changes as more hardware like this starts to show up.

You go to the sony website and download a program which scans your hard drive for music files. Most of my files are cd rips, mostly alac. The process took about 3 hours or so. It loads them onto the 1tb internal hard drive, you can also connect an eternal hard drive if 1 tb isn't enough. It converts all the files to dsd for output to your system. I did not do any direct comparisons bur played some tracks I am very familiar with and so far I would give it high marks for sound quality. There are some pro reviews on line that gave it very high marks as well.

post #6 of 59 Old 07-02-2014, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had the HAP-S1/B for a couple of weeks. I loved it so much that I decided I wanted to upgrade to the HAP-Z1ES. I'm interested in the "matching" TA-A1ES Integrated Amp as well. Does anyone know if Sony ES products are available at a discount anywhere or are they restricted to MSRP?
post #7 of 59 Old 07-11-2014, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigsOnTheWing View Post
I had the HAP-S1/B for a couple of weeks. I loved it so much that I decided I wanted to upgrade to the HAP-Z1ES. I'm interested in the "matching" TA-A1ES Integrated Amp as well. Does anyone know if Sony ES products are available at a discount anywhere or are they restricted to MSRP?
I have yet to see the Z1 at anything less than a few bucks off. To me, it's worth msrp and then some.
post #8 of 59 Old 07-12-2014, 12:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Right, The sound quality is impressive to this point. I have my equipment in a closet but want to move it our into the main room. The front panel display is small but nice and the unit looks very nice. So far, I really like this unit.[IMG]http://*******/AN0mnq[/IMG]thanks
post #9 of 59 Old 07-12-2014, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here is mine.

acebreathe likes this.

post #10 of 59 Old 07-16-2014, 05:16 PM

I'm getting closer to getting one of these. Can you tell if it is better edit all of the music on a PC before transferring it to the internal hard drive or is it easy to delete individual songs on the device. Have you had any opportunities to compare dsd files to the files that you uploaded and get up scaled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #11 of 59 Old 07-17-2014, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitl View Post
I'm getting closer to getting one of these. Can you tell if it is better edit all of the music on a PC before transferring it to the internal hard drive or is it easy to delete individual songs on the device. Have you had any opportunities to compare dsd files to the files that you uploaded and get up scaled.

I would pre edit. Afaik, there is no way to delete tracks. Hopefully that will be addressed in a future firmware update. I don't have any dsd files. Most of my files are alac, some flac, a small amount of mp3 and recently some hi Rez. They all sound very good to my ears. Z1 > Marantz 8801> Mcintosh MC252> Aerial 7t's.
post #12 of 59 Old 07-17-2014, 11:06 AM

That's very interesting, when you say no way to delete tracks does that mean you can delete an album or are you stuck with what ever you upload to the internal drive.

post #13 of 59 Old 07-18-2014, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That's very interesting, when you say no way to delete tracks does that mean you can delete an album or are you stuck with what ever you upload to the internal drive.

Somebody on another site said you can make a folder for the z1 and load only those items to it. I'm a dummy when it comes to those things.
post #14 of 59 Old 07-18-2014, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There is a way to delete files. Sorry for the misinformation!

post #15 of 59 Old 07-22-2014, 02:02 PM

Well I took the plunge today and ordered one, have to wait about a week as where I went doesn't stock it and they had to order it in, price was real good so waiting a week gives me a chance to edit my music before it comes.

post #16 of 59 Old 08-01-2014, 01:57 PM

Well I went all out, picked up the machine the other day and put it into the system, got a new set of balanced interconnects and put a new pair of Nordost Freys on the 7t's and all I can say is WOW, it's like I bought a whole new system and they tell me the Frey's need about 50 hours to burn in. Certainly surprised by the weight of the player it must be built like a tank, I'm sure Sony will be looking at what can they take out for the next model lower the price. Highly recommend this lovely piece of equipment!

post #17 of 59 Old 08-12-2014, 11:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Is FLAC a good format to rip my CDs to play on this ?

I know I should stay away from MP3 with this player...

Any other formats to consider that will work with this player ?

I do want the quality to be as good as it can be....

Also what is a good encoder to use for the different formats ?

Probably gonna order this piece in the next couple of days....

Thanks for any help...

Shelly
post #18 of 59 Old 08-13-2014, 08:32 AM

Welcome to the club you won't regret it. if bought a copy of dbpoweramp and ripped all the cd's into uncompressed flac files and must say that my 7t's have never sounded so good, great piece. To bad your not on Canada I could tell you where to get it for a real good price.

post #19 of 59 Old 08-20-2014, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly40 View Post
Is FLAC a good format to rip my CDs to play on this ?

I know I should stay away from MP3 with this player...

Any other formats to consider that will work with this player ?

I do want the quality to be as good as it can be....

Also what is a good encoder to use for the different formats ?

Probably gonna order this piece in the next couple of days....

Thanks for any help...

Shelly
I have ripped all of my 3000+ CDs to flac. Never even considered anything else. I have had a HAP-Z1ES now since early May. I have to say though, that my first player appears to have a problem in that it will lock up periodically (usually within 1 to 8 hours of operation), necessitating a "forced" power off (pressing and holding the power button for 5+ seconds), then powering it back on.

I'm not sure what is causing this, but it has happened during transfers to the box, while it's playing (different tracks each time), and even with just sitting idle. When I first got it I attached a 4TB external drive to it and attempted to transfer all 36000+ of my tracks to it. Not a good idea. Besides locking up periodically, it took over a week to finally complete and when done wouldn't play anything.

At that point I did a Factory Reset and since then not been nearly so ambitious. I started only transferring the HiRez tracks that I've downloaded (from the likes of hdtracks, acoustic sounds, & Linn Records). These are considerably fewer tracks (about 2400) and the ones I wanted on the unit most anyway.

Well, my original unit never has worked properly (the lockups haven't gone away), so after some finagling with Sony Service, and a 4 week wait (apparently they were out of units), I now have a replacement one and, so far, it is doing MUCH better. Has not locked up once. I have currently transferred my 2400 HiRez tracks to it (took about 12 hours). I haven't been able to play them yet as I have been at work since it finished with the database scan following the transfer completion.

So, in answer to your question, I find flac to be the best format to rip to for me. It uses lossless compression so there's no loss of quality from the original CD, and it is supported by all of my devices.
post #20 of 59 Old 08-21-2014, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well I went all out, picked up the machine the other day and put it into the system, got a new set of balanced interconnects and put a new pair of Nordost Freys on the 7t's and all I can say is WOW, it's like I bought a whole new system and they tell me the Frey's need about 50 hours to burn in. Certainly surprised by the weight of the player it must be built like a tank, I'm sure Sony will be looking at what can they take out for the next model lower the price. Highly recommend this lovely piece of equipment!

I have 7t's as well. Fantastic speakers. I'm sure those frays are killer. I have always said if you have the means to spend that kind of cash on interconnects and cables, go for it. I would have to have Bill Gates type cash to spend that much on wire. Again, no offense intended.
post #21 of 59 Old 08-21-2014, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I stumbled across a great high rez recording. Croz by David Crosby sounds outstanding on the z1.
post #22 of 59 Old 08-21-2014, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Well...

I should get my player on Monday or Tuesday.....

Starting ripping all my CDs into uncompressed FLAC....

I should have enough disc space for that....

and if I need too, a hard drive can be added for more storage...

Luckily, I have 2 computers in my office, so this process will go quicker....

Just have to sit in front of the computers for hours on end.....

My wife is not happy with me......

I plan on getting some high res files in some material I am familiar with.....

Then I will compare and see if I can hear any improvement....

Shelly
post #23 of 59 Old 08-22-2014, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well...

I should get my player on Monday or Tuesday.....

Starting ripping all my CDs into uncompressed FLAC....

I should have enough disc space for that....

and if I need too, a hard drive can be added for more storage...

Luckily, I have 2 computers in my office, so this process will go quicker....

Just have to sit in front of the computers for hours on end.....

My wife is not happy with me......

I plan on getting some high res files in some material I am familiar with.....

Then I will compare and see if I can hear any improvement....

Shelly
I'm confused. My understanding is that flac is lossless compressed, it's just that since it isn't lossy compressed (like mp3 et.al.), when uncompressed you get back the same bits that you started out with (similar to zip file compression in the computer world). Are you saying that you have your encoder set to not compress the tracks? If that is so (and possible), why would you want to do that?
post #24 of 59 Old 08-22-2014, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Yes..It is possible....

They have uncompressed FLAC.....

Its probably better now, but a few years ago. I had some issues with some compressed files....

So now, given the choice, I do uncompressed....

Storage is pretty inexpensive now, compared to years ago....

Shelly
post #25 of 59 Old 08-22-2014, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes..It is possible....

They have uncompressed FLAC.....

Its probably better now, but a few years ago. I had some issues with some compressed files....

So now, given the choice, I do uncompressed....

Storage is pretty inexpensive now, compared to years ago....

Shelly
Well, I'm concerned about size. If I get up the motivation (and have the patience) to try transferring all of my ripped CDs to the replacement HAP-Z1ES that I just got, they alone would fill its internal disk (and this is with compression). I did have a 4TB drive connected to the old (broken) unit, but I'm still a bit gun-shy over trying to do that transfer again. I tried that with the original unit...took over a week to transfer...and the unit locked up multiple times during the attempt. Adding insult to injury, it wouldn't play anything once I finally made it through the pain of it all. So, if I were to decide to do that again I would definitely have to reconnect the external drive since my CDs won't fit with what's already there (and this is with compression).

I have a few tracks (out of the appx 35,000) that apparently didn't rip correctly, and I will agree when compressing the data it does usually corrupt the rest of the track from the point of failure (the decompression program gets out of sync). Some day I plan to re-rip them. Of course the only time I think of it is when I hear the noise produced, and I'm never in a position to do the re-rip step.
post #26 of 59 Old 08-22-2014, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Your collection of music is way bigger than mine......

If my collection was that big, maybe I would think about the compression.....

I think I read somewhere that the Sony player was guaranteed to work at up to 20,000 music files....

Maybe that is why you are having a problem...

Still don't have my player.. Hopefully on Monday, I will get it....

So I have just been ripping files nonstop.......Hope I can finish the rest over the weekend.....

Shelly
post #27 of 59 Old 08-22-2014, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Your collection of music is way bigger than mine......

If my collection was that big, maybe I would think about the compression.....

I think I read somewhere that the Sony player was guaranteed to work at up to 20,000 music files....

Maybe that is why you are having a problem...

Still don't have my player.. Hopefully on Monday, I will get it....

So I have just been ripping files nonstop.......Hope I can finish the rest over the weekend.....

Shelly
Yeah, I don't know for sure what caused my first player to start locking up randomly (usually within 1 to 8 hours of operation), but I have since lowered my expectations for how much data to transfer down to it. Currently I only have about 2400 tracks on it. These are the tracks that I've purchased and downloaded from various online hires download sites (hdtracks, accoustic sounds, etc.).

I've come to the conclusion that it's probably not a good idea to try to load too much onto the Sony. The transfer process is painfully slow when there are lots of tracks, and given my experience with the my first unit, may not be worth the risk. My Yamaha CX-A5000 or Oppo BDP-103D stream all the CD tracks from my NAS box just fine when I want to listen to them.
post #28 of 59 Old 08-23-2014, 12:48 AM
Advanced Member

My dealer has received my player....

Will probably pick it up on saturday...or possibly sunday....

So far, I have ripped about 160 GB worth of files......

About how long will it take to transfer that much info ?

I will be using a wired ethernet connection.....

Thanks for any info.....

Shelly
post #29 of 59 Old 08-23-2014, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Well, I just recently transferred about 290GB of files to my replacement unit. I'm not certain of the exact time that it finished as I had left for work by then, but I started it at about 8:00pm the night before and when I left in the morning for work at 8:30am it was almost done with the database scanning part. So it took probably about 14 hours for my transfer to fully complete.

So, since you are transferring a little over half as much as I did I'd estimate about 8 hours. I transferred a bit over 2400 tracks and they were all hires compressed flac or dsf file types. This may affect the transfer time and throw my estimate off. But it will be long enough to where you probably won't want to sit around and wait for it (watching paint dry comes to mind).

Last edited by bwillcox; 08-23-2014 at 06:22 AM.
post #30 of 59 Old 08-24-2014, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Well......I picked up my player a few hours ago, and have started transferring about 300GB
of music files...

This player is pretty heavy.....seems very well built.....

I wish it would finish already........ready to listen to some tunes....

Shelly
Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page