HDCD CDs, do they play (correctly) on normal CD player? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 06-12-2014, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Question HDCD CDs, do they play (correctly) on normal CD player?

OK, I first admit I'm not sure what the HDCD really is, and what is required to play it properly. I've read some of the white papers out there, hence my confusion.

I just noticed a CD was marked "HDCD" on it (Kenny Wayne Shepard-Live On). I remember playing it in the car's CD, and it sounding somewhat "bad". I just tried it in my Sony BDP-BX510 blu ray, and it seems to play fine.

However, before I load it into my Sony Jukebox (Sony CDP-CX400), I'm wondering if it will play properly.

So, what is an "HDCD" CD, and what equipment can play it properly? I've heard these HDCDs distort at the peaks in normal CD players........

Sometimes I have to remind myself that I bought all this "stuff" to enjoy it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-12-2014, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 45
HDCD will play in any Redbook CD player.

HDCD was a way of "cheating" the 16 bit spec by adding a slight amount of noise and using dithering to increases the dynamic rage to around 120dB.

The added random noise may be audible but it will not harm or effect the playback system.

Last edited by William; 06-12-2014 at 07:34 AM.
post #3 of 13 Old 06-12-2014, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
HDCD will play in any Redbook CD player.

HDCD was a way of "cheating" the 16 bit spec by adding a slight amount of noise and using dithering to increases the dynamic rage to around 120dB.

The added random noise may be audible but it will not harm or effect the playback system.
Thanks for the reply and info. I've loaded into my CD player, and will give it a listen. I simply did not want to "assume" it was compatible.

post #4 of 13 Old 06-12-2014, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
My Marantz receiver displays a little red HDCD logo when I play a HDCD disc but only with a digital connection.
I'm sure it works but I would never know if the logo was not on.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-12-2014, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklightning View Post
My Marantz receiver displays a little red HDCD logo when I play a HDCD disc but only with a digital connection.
I'm sure it works but I would never know if the logo was not on.
I was looking for some logo display on my Denon, but did not notice one. I am using a digital connection for the CD player.

I did sample the CD in the player, and it seems fine. I guess I'm wondering "what difference" I'm "supposed" to hear!

post #6 of 13 Old 06-12-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizwiz41 View Post
I was looking for some logo display on my Denon, but did not notice one. I am using a digital connection for the CD player.

I did sample the CD in the player, and it seems fine. I guess I'm wondering "what difference" I'm "supposed" to hear!
If your cd player or receive does not have the hdcd logo beside the dolby or DTS or THX logo then it cannot do the HDCD processing. So it will play like a regular CD with a little bit of "Noise"
post #7 of 13 Old 06-12-2014, 03:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 305
post #8 of 13 Old 06-13-2014, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If your cd player or receive does not have the hdcd logo beside the dolby or DTS or THX logo then it cannot do the HDCD processing. So it will play like a regular CD with a little bit of "Noise"
I kind of remember this logo on some of the CD players I used to have in the collection. I checked, and none of my current equipment has the logo. Although, based upon the research I've read, my remaining equipment is all made after the marketing timeframe of HDCD.

In the end, I'm wondering if there is a real, or true, audio difference.

post #9 of 13 Old 06-13-2014, 07:33 AM

Like most things in audio the difference is on paper. REDBook CD's have a huge dynamic range and most CD use very little of that dynamic range in this age of louder is better.

I only CD I can think of that is a HDCD is my Independence Day Sound track. It sounds really good, one of my better CD's. If I was to rate all of my CD's it would be in my top 20 sound quality wise. A SACD is number one but after that it would be a mix of REDBook, DVD-audio and SACD's. Some of my SACD's would be very low on the list.
post #10 of 13 Old 06-13-2014, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Like most things in audio the difference is on paper. REDBook CD's have a huge dynamic range and most CD use very little of that dynamic range in this age of louder is better.

I only CD I can think of that is a HDCD is my Independence Day Sound track. It sounds really good, one of my better CD's. If I was to rate all of my CD's it would be in my top 20 sound quality wise. A SACD is number one but after that it would be a mix of REDBook, DVD-audio and SACD's. Some of my SACD's would be very low on the list.

Great post, I think more and more folks are starting to realize that the content, and how it's been recorded, mixed, and mastered, is the important part of the equation, the formats of supposedly higher quality than CDs, not so much. I tend to be a sucker for some of the higher rez formats strictly for their multi-channel presentation, which I'm quite fond of. But I'm under no illusion that those formats are inherently superior to the 44.1/16 CD specification.

Heavily addicted SACDBA member, starting the twelve steps tomorrow!
Jay
post #11 of 13 Old 06-14-2014, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Nice summation! In a similar view, I have a DVD-Audio (Eagles-Hotel California) that I would rate number one. I can definitely hear the difference, even in a stereo mode.

As for the others, it's the famous quote, "it depends". I don't have any SACDs in my collection, but I do have the "remasters", and the "gold CDs", and I can't really tell any audio quality difference.

post #12 of 13 Old 06-14-2014, 09:19 AM

Liked: 63
Quote:
Quote:

Nice summation! In a similar view, I have a DVD-Audio (Eagles-Hotel California) that I would rate number one. I can definitely hear the difference, even in a stereo mode.

As for the others, it's the famous quote, "it depends". I don't have any SACDs in my collection, but I do have the "remasters", and the "gold CDs", and I can't really tell any audio quality difference.

Try the Blu-ray audio of Steven Wilson's "The Raven Who Refused To Sing", incredible surround mix, and recording sound quality. That would be my number one currently.

Jay

Heavily addicted SACDBA member, starting the twelve steps tomorrow!
Jay
post #13 of 13 Old 06-14-2014, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 93
[quote=Pet Motel;24963809]
Quote:
Quote:

Try the Blu-ray audio of Steven Wilson's "The Raven Who Refused To Sing", incredible surround mix, and recording sound quality. That would be my number one currently.

I will second this an excellent recording.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page