Budget Office Setup Recommendations - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-15-2014, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Budget Office Setup Recommendations

I was not sure where best to post this, as could not find anything specific, but since this will be a 2 channel (although maybe eventually 2.1 channel) set up this appeared the best option. I am looking for some speakers to use in my office, they don't need to be anything special, and for the budget I want to spend they are unlikely to be special. However I want something considerably better than my laptop speakers, or an old pair of Dell speakers I currently use.

I am looking at either picking up a pair of powered monitors (to be honest not sure if any cheap ones are worth a d**n) or looking at piecing something together along the lines of:

Dayton Audio B652 speakers - $35
Lepai LP-2020A mini amp - $26 or the Lepai LP-S60 - $35
Hifimediy Sabre USB DAC - $45

My office is not huge, and the speakers would be relatively close to me so I don't need anything incredibly loud, but I want reasonable volume and decent sound quality. I am looking to spend around $100, and am completely open to equipment suggestions.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-15-2014, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefghi View Post
I was not sure where best to post this, as could not find anything specific, but since this will be a 2 channel (although maybe eventually 2.1 channel) set up this appeared the best option. I am looking for some speakers to use in my office, they don't need to be anything special, and for the budget I want to spend they are unlikely to be special. However I want something considerably better than my laptop speakers, or an old pair of Dell speakers I currently use.

I am looking at either picking up a pair of powered monitors (to be honest not sure if any cheap ones are worth a d**n) or looking at piecing something together along the lines of:

My office is not huge, and the speakers would be relatively close to me so I don't need anything incredibly loud, but I want reasonable volume and decent sound quality. I am looking to spend around $100, and am completely open to equipment suggestions.

Thanks.
I'm not sure if the Pioneer BS22s are still on sale for $65 but I would go with those over the Daytons.

HT: CM9 S2 FR/FL, CMC2 S1, CM5 S1 surrounds, ASW610; Yamaha rx-a2030; Parasound 2100; Parasound 275; Oppo BDP-93; ATV
2 Channel: Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 NrT FR/FL, ASW608; Parasound Halo P5; Parasound Halo A23; Rega RP1; Marantz CD5004

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #3 of 8 Old 06-16-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 1866
These (Micca MB 42) are supposedly good bang-for-the-buck speakers.

Edit:
Does your sound card have digital out?

¿lɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ

Last edited by citizen arcane; 06-16-2014 at 12:52 PM.
post #4 of 8 Old 06-16-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 156
I use a Lepai 2020A amp to drive a zone II set of speakers. It works great for near field listening and would also work for smaller living rooms with moderately decent speakers. The Pioneer BS22 speakers get some good reviews - so do the Dayton Audio B652s - haven't heard either of them though. The Lepai amp should be paired up with efficient speakers for best results.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #5 of 8 Old 06-16-2014, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Given your budget, your best option would be a pair of powered speakers (aka computer speakers) connected to the audio out port of your computer. I can't recommend any in particular, because I don't know that market. But the last thing you should be doing is spending your money on gewgaws like outboard amps and DACs. All-in-ones are always more cost-effective, and that's what your budget calls for.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #6 of 8 Old 06-16-2014, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefghi View Post

Thanks.
I have a pair of the Dayton Audio B652 speakers in my den.

They sound pretty damn good, and for $35 a pair they are amazing.

They replaced a pair of Boston speakers that cost a lot more, and they sound a lot better.

They are connected to a Cambridge 40-watt amplifier and my Sony 60" TV and a CD player.

Rather than those cheap little amplifiers, which IMO don't sound good at all, I would suggest a Sony STR-DH130 stereo receiver, which can be found for around $100.

You get a lot more for your money.

Last edited by commsysman; 06-16-2014 at 04:02 PM.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-17-2014, 03:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Why not use a pair of powered monitors. I use audioengine A2s in my office setup.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-17-2014, 03:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks for all the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen arcane View Post
Does your sound card have digital out?
No, it's just a laptop so has only a 3.5mm output. This is why I was also considering a USB DAC, I use one in my car (run a Nexus 7 as a head unit) and it made a great improvement in sound and also gives me options on the output (3.5mm to RCA, or optical).

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post
I would suggest a Sony STR-DH130 stereo receiver, which can be found for around $100.
After thinking about it some and looking at my options, I am debating picking up a new receiver for the living room and then using the old Onkyo I have currently there in the office. I would then just need to look into a set of bookshelf speakers to run with it, the beauty of this is I still have the passive sub that came with the Onkyo originally gathering dust, and can use that in the office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
Why not use a pair of powered monitors. I use audioengine A2s in my office setup.
This is partly why I opened the thread, I was not sure if a pair of powered monitors would be achievable in my budget. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page