Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-16-2014, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Beatles in Mono on Vinyl

Apple will release a 14 LP box set of Beatles albums in Mono this fall.
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...ign=newsletter

Mod please move this if I am in the wrong forum, thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-16-2014, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 796
CONFIRMED:
-all analogue
-pressed at Optimal in Germany
http://www.thebeatles.com/news/beatles-get-back-mono

¿lɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ

post #3 of 6 Old 06-17-2014, 03:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Interesting. The last LP releases were sourced from a 44 kHz 24 bit source. They are going directly back to the analouge tape.
post #4 of 6 Old 06-17-2014, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I thought the 2009 remasters were just entirely too loud. I wonder how hefty a price tag this will carry. Will definitely stick to my Capitol LPs and 1987 CDs.

And what exactly is different about the mono stuff from the stereo stuff? Just mastering?

Last edited by hogger129; 06-17-2014 at 06:04 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-21-2014, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogger129 View Post
I thought the 2009 remasters were just entirely too loud. I wonder how hefty a price tag this will carry. Will definitely stick to my Capitol LPs and 1987 CDs.

And what exactly is different about the mono stuff from the stereo stuff? Just mastering?
There are some excellent reviews on Amazon where they break down the differences track by track. In many cases, the mono versions are significantly different in a variety of ways.

Personally, I bought the mono box set and found it fun to listen to and compare, but the 2009 remasters are what I come back to. The exception to this is the first two albums (which I believe are two track recordings). These sound way better in mono IMO. Something is just off about those albums in stereo.

In general, I've gotten over buying these mono releases, though I'm still temped to give that Dylan mono box a try. I do still feel that these remastered editions of the CDs are getting better and better. The Zeppelin CD releases (1 - 3) that came out last week just sound fantastic.

Peter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-22-2014, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenwood Ave View Post
There are some excellent reviews on Amazon where they break down the differences track by track. In many cases, the mono versions are significantly different in a variety of ways.

Personally, I bought the mono box set and found it fun to listen to and compare, but the 2009 remasters are what I come back to. The exception to this is the first two albums (which I believe are two track recordings). These sound way better in mono IMO. Something is just off about those albums in stereo.

In general, I've gotten over buying these mono releases, though I'm still temped to give that Dylan mono box a try. I do still feel that these remastered editions of the CDs are getting better and better. The Zeppelin CD releases (1 - 3) that came out last week just sound fantastic.
Those new LZ remasters get a lot of praise over on the SHTV forums. I hear a lot of folks that still prefer the Barry Diament ones the best. I've got quite a few of the original releases on vinyl and will probably just do needledrops and EQ it how I like.

Last edited by hogger129; 06-22-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page