Very Basic Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-17-2014, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Very Basic Question

Hey folks, I know this is a very basic question but please humor me on this one.

I'm building an extremely basic two channel stereo system in my bedroom. I have the speakers I want to use. They are early 90s era Sony towers. I don't believe that are that power hungry, please excuse me as I don't have the impedance numbers with me as I'm at my desk at work. Regardless, the room is maybe 15 by 15. It's not exactly gigantic so I don't need all the power in the world.

I'm basically looking for Airplay and that's it. There's a slight chance I may end up hooking up a CD player to it, but it's highly doubtful it will become anything more. My main system is in my living room.

At the end of the day, I'm not looking to spend more then $200 if I can avoid it. If there's a really good option, I could maybe go above that but I'd prefer to stay below.

I know everyone here is discussing really great systems by and large and here I am with my basic question but all I want is to listen to music in bed and when I'm hanging out in my bedroom at night.

Thanks everyone for taking the time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-17-2014, 07:49 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 694
I would seek out a modest AV receiver that has Airplay capability. There all kinds of them. The new site doesn't allow hidden links so just click the following for an example. http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-E300...ywords=airplay
post #3 of 6 Old 06-17-2014, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by sublimerocks86 View Post
Hey folks, I know this is a very basic question but please humor me on this one.

I'm building an extremely basic two channel stereo system in my bedroom. I have the speakers I want to use. They are early 90s era Sony towers. I don't believe that are that power hungry, please excuse me as I don't have the impedance numbers with me as I'm at my desk at work. Regardless, the room is maybe 15 by 15. It's not exactly gigantic so I don't need all the power in the world.

I'm basically looking for Airplay and that's it. There's a slight chance I may end up hooking up a CD player to it, but it's highly doubtful it will become anything more. My main system is in my living room.

At the end of the day, I'm not looking to spend more then $200 if I can avoid it. If there's a really good option, I could maybe go above that but I'd prefer to stay below.

I know everyone here is discussing really great systems by and large and here I am with my basic question but all I want is to listen to music in bed and when I'm hanging out in my bedroom at night.

When you say "airplay" does that mean you want to get internet radio?

If so, I suggest that you get a basic receiver and a Grace Digital Solo internet tuner, which is excellent and only $90. I love mine. It will give you 20,000 preprogrammed radio stations all over the world, and will connect wirelessly to your router, or by a wired cable connection.

The Sherwood RX-4109 receiver is only $125.

The Sony STR-DH130 is around the same price.

Either one will do the job for you.

The Denon E300 is a 5.1-channel receiver with Airplay, which can be had for $250.

Last edited by commsysman; 06-17-2014 at 04:58 PM.
post #4 of 6 Old 06-17-2014, 05:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post
When you say "airplay" does that mean you want to get internet radio?
No. Google it.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #5 of 6 Old 06-17-2014, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublimerocks86 View Post
hey folks, i know this is a very basic question but please humor me on this one.

I'm building an extremely basic two channel stereo system in my bedroom. I have the speakers i want to use. They are early 90s era sony towers. I don't believe that are that power hungry, please excuse me as i don't have the impedance numbers with me as i'm at my desk at work. Regardless, the room is maybe 15 by 15. It's not exactly gigantic so i don't need all the power in the world.

I'm basically looking for airplay and that's it. There's a slight chance i may end up hooking up a cd player to it, but it's highly doubtful it will become anything more. My main system is in my living room.

At the end of the day, i'm not looking to spend more then $200 if i can avoid it. If there's a really good option, i could maybe go above that but i'd prefer to stay below.

I know everyone here is discussing really great systems by and large and here i am with my basic question but all i want is to listen to music in bed and when i'm hanging out in my bedroom at night.

xxx
post #6 of 6 Old 06-17-2014, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post
No. Google it.
OK- I was confused about what you wanted because I have never seen Airplay except on 5-channel receivers, and you said you wanted 2-channel.

Walmart is showing the Pioneer VSX-822k for $228.

I would prefer the Denon E300 for $249 from Amazon.

Last edited by commsysman; 06-17-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page