Receiver for bose 601's - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-17-2014, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Receiver for bose 601's

I have a remarkable pair of 1982 Bose 601's that sound absolutely superb even on my cheap Sherwood receiver (105 watts rms).

My receiver totally died and needs to be replaced. I'm also getting a Dr. DAC unit since all my classical music is on a 160gb iPod Classic. What reasonably priced 2.1 channel receiver with good current power (torroidal) should I get to complete this package?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-17-2014, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by prestonrich View Post
I have a remarkable pair of 1982 Bose 601's that sound absolutely superb even on my cheap Sherwood receiver (105 watts rms).

My receiver totally died and needs to be replaced. I'm also getting a Dr. DAC unit since all my classical music is on a 160gb iPod Classic. What reasonably priced 2.1 channel receiver with good current power (torroidal) should I get to complete this package?
"Reasonably-priced" means anything under $6000 to some people.

To others, it means less than $20. Some clarification might be in order there...lol.

Amazon has the Harman-Kardon 3700 stereo receiver for $350, and that is what I would suggest. It has a built-in DAC and network connectivity, so you wouldn't need to buy the other DAC.

They also have the Sherwood RX-4109, which may be similar to your current receiver and is only $125.

I think the sound quality of the HK is much better, and it offers many more features, but the cost is certainly higher.

Last edited by commsysman; 06-17-2014 at 04:46 PM.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-17-2014, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post
"Reasonably-priced" means anything under $6000 to some people.

To others, it means less than $20. Some clarification might be in order there...lol.

Amazon has the Harman-Kardon 3700 stereo receiver for $350, and that is what I would suggest.

They also have the Sherwood RX-4109, which sounds similar to your current receiver and is only $125.

I think the sound quality of the HK is much better, but the cost is certainly higher.
Has anyone heard, or can suggest, the Emotiva Fusion 8100 receiver? 65 watts/ch all driven w/torroidal transformer?
post #4 of 9 Old 06-18-2014, 10:37 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 756
He wants a toroidal power transformer for some reason. I don't think any of those are so equipped.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-18-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Most any current receiver. Do you need the tuner? You may find several very good reasonable integrated amps with sub output. NAD, Marantz, Cambridge etc. Otherwise, Denon Yamaha and others stil make stereo receivers. There are lots of wonderful vintage receivers on e-bay, but they all need re-caping.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-18-2014, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

I'd like a tuner, thus the Emotiva Fusion 8100 which will give me 110/ch w/ 2 channels driven. Should drive the 601's well, but anything better and cheaper for that job?
post #7 of 9 Old 06-19-2014, 04:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by prestonrich View Post

A regular adapter cable that plugs into the headphone jack on the iPod will give you as good sound quality as an external DAC. The converters in the iPod aren't a sound quality problem no matter what hordes of internet eggspurts hoot and holler about.

Also, some modern AVRs have either internal or provisions for an external iPod dock, so you should look into that. Expensive DACs are just hype.

Bose 601 are 8 ohm speakers that are probably free of the dips below 4 ohms that we sometimes see with other 8 ohm speakers. Any good AVR should do the job.

When my Sherwood 105 wpc 2 channel receiver died I studied the situation and found that on paper a good AVR could be the best solution, even in just a 2 channel system. A low end Yamaha AVR provided a major upgrade in sound quality, and I never turned back.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-24-2014, 03:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post
A regular adapter cable that plugs into the headphone jack on the iPod will give you as good sound quality as an external DAC. The converters in the iPod aren't a sound quality problem no matter what hordes of internet eggspurts hoot and holler about.

Also, some modern AVRs have either internal or provisions for an external iPod dock, so you should look into that. Expensive DACs are just hype.

Bose 601 are 8 ohm speakers that are probably free of the dips below 4 ohms that we sometimes see with other 8 ohm speakers. Any good AVR should do the job.

When my Sherwood 105 wpc 2 channel receiver died I studied the situation and found that on paper a good AVR could be the best solution, even in just a 2 channel system. A low end Yamaha AVR provided a major upgrade in sound quality, and I never turned back.
Yes, the Apple DAC is not terrible, but I have to disagree with the quality of the analog output. I am not advocating uber-price magic anything, but a $150 quality DAC has a bit better DAC and much better analog section. The quality difference is quite audible to me. Maybe not much on full compressed MP3 or Apple format, but on a loss-less format, the difference is large. I see the Music Fidelity is up to about $200 now. Supurb, but better than my e-Bay "Muse" Don't know. I prefer BB to Wolfsons. Yes, I can hear the difference. The DAC inside an AVR has the big advantage of the AVR's analog section, so even the low end AVR's do quite well in this regard. This has more to do with the power supply and op-amps that would not fit in an i-pod.

"Good AVR" not as easy as it says. I have a NAD and a Anthem. Good enough for my downsizing. How much better than the baby Marantz 1403 for the typical user? Not much. ( Actually a pretty decent little unit!) Even the cheapest D/M/Y/P/O/S whatever AVR's are pretty decent and probably quite an upgrade although I really don't like the class D amps in the Pioneers. Due to volume, the AVR's even with 7 amps, are cheaper than a stereo receiver for the same quality. If you move up-line, you can get all the fancy WEB music streaming stuff built in. Pay the price to buy one from someone with a return policy as insurance it will be good enough.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-24-2014, 04:00 AM
AVS Special Member

For the price of the Emo, consider NAD or Cambridge. Both also known for audio-centric quality over features.
Yamaha has a full line of stereo receivers with optional docks. Probably a best value. Sony still makes a receiver. I had the Emo UMC-200 preamp briefly. Tuner worked well. Sound quality was excellent. It had HDMI switching issues, so I sent it back. No problems, great service.
Reply 2 Channel Audio
Gear in this thread - 601's by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page