Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #1 of 49 Old 06-26-2014, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
recommended stereo equipment 8k.

Still saving up money , but I am interested in what people would buy if you had a maximum budget of $8,000 for dedicated stereo system. I have not started auditioning speakers yet. As I know this is the best way to select them. And I know once speakers are chosen then you can pair them with the right equipment. Just wanted some ideas. Also the room it would go in now is only temporary because I may move soon. The current room I have now is fairly small maybe 20 x 20. I listen to a broad selection of music, but I love hard rock and techno music.

This is just a rough idea but my thinking was
$2000 -cd player
$2000 -integrated amp
$3500 -speakers (pair). I would prefer floorstanders.

Possibly would consider a subwoofer if needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 06-26-2014, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

I'm hesitant to buy something used on audiogon. Worried about defective equipment, limited warranty etc......
post #3 of 49 Old 06-26-2014, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Well for starters you don't need to spend
$2K on a CD player. I wouldn't spend any more
Than $500 on one.

Definitely listen to speakers, nobody can tell you
What sounds good to you. I like Paradigm Speakers
And have heard great things about Salk speakers.
Just the tip of the iceberg.

I would highly recommend that you get a subwoofer.
Even great floorstanding speakers can not give you the
Quality bass from a good sub. Not even close. With
Bass management your speakers will play cleaner,louder
And with less strain on the amp by not having to reproduce
Power hungry low bass notes.
I am partial to Rythmik subs and their active servo amps/drivers.

Integrated amps are nice,but overpriced for their feature set.
A lot of folks recommend AVR's for their feature sets, room correction
And bass mgmt. That being said I use the Outlaw Audio rr2150
For my 2.1 system. It has analog bass mgmt which in itself is a
Feature not found on any integrated receiver.
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2150.html

Hope that helps a bit.
Greenwood Ave likes this.
post #4 of 49 Old 06-26-2014, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0425antgray View Post
Still saving up money , but I am interested in what people would buy if you had a maximum budget of $8,000 for dedicated stereo system. I have not started auditioning speakers yet. As I know this is the best way to select them. And I know once speakers are chosen then you can pair them with the right equipment. Just wanted some ideas. Also the room it would go in now is only temporary because I may move soon. The current room I have now is fairly small maybe 20 x 20. I listen to a broad selection of music, but I love hard rock and techno music.

$2000 -cd player
$2000 -integrated amp

The only CD player you want to consider is the OPPO BDP-105, which costs $1200.

I had the $6000 Ayre C5 player for 6 years, and it was excellent, but the OPPO sounds even better.

For SACD and CD the BDP-105 is arguably the best-sounding player for under $8000. It is an incredible bargain at $1200.

The amplifier I would recommend is the Musical Fidelity M3i, which is $1500; it is excellent, and will put out close to 100 watts per channel at 4 ohms. The sound quality is excellent.

Another very good one is the Arcam A28, which is around $1700.

The Vandersteen Model 2ce Signature are $2395 per pair, and are excellent.

The KEF Q900 speakers are also very good, and go for around $2000.

The KEF speakers might be better for rock, but the Vandersteens are the thing to get for classical and jazz.

I use the NHT B12D subwoofer with my Vandersteen Treo speakers, and it is excellent. $800.

Last edited by commsysman; 06-26-2014 at 04:19 PM.
post #5 of 49 Old 06-26-2014, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

$2000 -cd player
$2000 -integrated amp

Here's an option, based on personal experiences:

$1200 - Oppo player
$800 - to be used as a Pre/Pro, make sure pre-outs exist to add separate amp
$1800 -Amplifier: Wyred 4 Sound Class D monoblocks. ( around $900 each )

$ 4200+ left in your budget for speakers. With the right pair of towers, there will be no need for a separate subwoofer. Only catch is, the towers need to be full range, preferably display models from the manufacturer, or used from a trustworthy Audiogon member. In other words, buying used speakers can save you THOUSANDS. So now you can afford the speakers that retail for around $7k to $10k ( brand new ). When I mean used, I'm not talking about old scratched up speakers, I'm referring to showroom condition models with very low mileage.

This is just a suggestion, everyone will have their own. I took this route and saved nearly 45% by getting a dealer demo. My speakers retail for $10k....a price I could never afford. And since they play down to 20hz a subwoofer isn't needed. Let me know your thoughts, you have a very healthy budget to work with....and many, many options to explore.

If you were into movies I'd recommend a different route, with a Subwoofer. But you sound like a music guy...so full range towers are the way to go ( in my opinion ). You'll have a sweet 2.0 stereo rig...enjoy the ride bro!

Talk to ya soon,
Bri
post #6 of 49 Old 06-26-2014, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
I'm hesitant to buy something used on audiogon. Worried about defective equipment, limited warranty etc......
I've never had a problem with Audiogon, some of the sellers are dealers with their own store/showroom....so no worries about defects. I'm sure if bought from a dealer via Audiogon a warranty would be provided.

As for some of the other, well know auction sites,....stay away from them. My only advice would be to use Audiogon and work out a deal with the store. If the seller is not connected with a store, I would be hesitant.
post #7 of 49 Old 06-27-2014, 04:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 1167
Quote:

$2000 -cd player
$2000 -integrated amp

No doubt, a subwoofer. A system in this price class has to work a large percentage of the l audible (and palpable) range. An $8K music system that can't handle the lowest ranks of the great pipe organs of the world or their sonic equivalents seems like a bad joke. There are few if any truly full range speakers.

When you have this kind of budget you need to set aside considerable money aside for optimizing room acoustics. No matter what the high end eggspurts tell you, you can't get the best quality sound with just speakers and electronics. Acoustical treatments don't have to cost an arm and a leg, but if you want them to look nice or better yet not be visible as such, it is probably going to cost your $thousands.
post #8 of 49 Old 06-27-2014, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I'll second a couple of items mentioned. First Salk speakers. I have the supercharged songtowers (3499). They are great play down to an f3 of 34 hz. I'm running sans sub right now, but will probably add one in the future. Jim makes some speakers that will play down to 25 hz. (Soundscape 8 with 8" woofers and 12" passive radiators, but they would take your entire budget.) The HT2-TL also plays down to 34 hz, has larger woofers than the supercharged song towers and as a result more bass oomph, they are 4499. Salk also makes matching custom subs using rythmic woofers and components. You'd be remiss to not check his stuff out when going with your budget.

The second items is to go with the oppo as as cd player. I have the 95 and love it. The 105 is just a later model. If you don't need all the high quality analogs, you can go with the 103 and use digital outs or HDMI.

As far as an integrated, I use an AVR. Arny's advice of sound treatments is sound, but for myself, the WAF doesn't allow for sound treatments in our living room, so I just use an AVR and use audyssey to balance the sound as best I can. The TL cabinets from Salk are nice in that regard as they are not quite so finicky relative to room placement.
post #9 of 49 Old 06-27-2014, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If for any reason only CD player desired, no SACD, DVD-A and BDR needed, you can also consider:
Cambridge Audio Azur 840C/851C CD player.

Re. Audiogon, I bought quite few pcs of equipment there, was lucky, never had any problems.
post #10 of 49 Old 06-27-2014, 07:23 PM

Liked: 12
Rather than CD player you might consider something like a Mac mini, possibly with a decent external DAC. That will play CDs but it gives you additional flexibility. It won't do exotic things like the various high resolution formats that a dedicated CD will.

There are excellent two channel integrated amps in the $1000 price range. The two brands I know are NAD and Arcam, but there are others. If you're sure you're going to be listening to just two channels that may be the way to go. Otherwise, e.g. if you need bass management, room equalization or any other features an AVR is probably best.

There's loads of good speakers in that price range. Personal taste (and the room) seem significant there, so you're going to have to listen to them. I have tried several speakers in the $1000 per pair range, and my personal reactions don't always agree with reviews or specs. E.g. I dislike Paradigm Studio 20s, even though based on reviews and specs I should like them.
eljr and postrokfan like this.
post #11 of 49 Old 06-27-2014, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 402
For towers, you might also consider the Ascend Acoustics Sierra towers with RAAL for $2700.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #12 of 49 Old 06-28-2014, 06:13 AM

Liked: 12
If someone is considering Salk, I would think Philharmonic Audio would also be in there.
post #13 of 49 Old 06-28-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 1085
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post
Well for starters you don't need to spend
$2K on a CD player.
big understatement
grasshoppers likes this.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #14 of 49 Old 06-28-2014, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

I've always wondered if my $250 Sony blu ray player would play CD's just as well as a $2,000
CD player. I've heard the argument about DAC'S. (Whether or not they make an audible difference) and also the importance of the studio recording quality of the CD when it was made. As a matter of fact I have some cds old and new that sound amazing compared to others I own both old and new. But you know, if there is a small improvement in the sound quality of a slightly more expensive CD player I'll spend $1200 dollars on the oppo or the Cambridge azur.
post #15 of 49 Old 06-28-2014, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

I think a stereo receiver might be the way to go for me also. Since I'm leaning towards getting a subwoofer.
post #16 of 49 Old 06-28-2014, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

I wanted to use the system for primarily cd's.
post #17 of 49 Old 06-29-2014, 01:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I've always wondered if my $250 Sony blu ray player would play CD's just as well as a $2,000
The smart money is on "No audible difference in a DBT". And if your system is AVR based you can shift gears down to $100 BD players because the only output you need to use is the digital output.

Quote:
CD player. I've heard the argument about DAC'S. (Whether or not they make an audible difference) and also the importance of the studio recording quality of the CD when it was made.
The other day I was listening to Joni Mitchel's Blue album. IMO it still sounds great. I looked it up and it was made in 1971.

Quote:
As a matter of fact I have some cds old and new that sound amazing compared to others I own both old and new. But you know, if there is a small improvement in the sound quality of a slightly more expensive CD player I'll spend $1200 dollars on the oppo or the Cambridge azur.
The difference is less than small. Oppos are nicely made and look great on the test bench. They can even make financial sense if you have a big system with separate power amps or active speakers as 103s can be competitive with AVRs that have line level outputs for all channels.
post #18 of 49 Old 06-29-2014, 01:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I think a stereo receiver might be the way to go for me also. Since I'm leaning towards getting a subwoofer.
If you are leaning towards a subwoofer forget the stereo receiver. AVRs as a rule have superior bass management. Generally an AVR with a given WPC costs less than all but the dirt-cheapest stereo receiver due to economies of scale.
post #19 of 49 Old 06-29-2014, 04:40 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Personally, within your budget I will listen to the likes of: PSB Synchrony One, Dynaudio Contour S 3.4, Kef R900.

Then get any modern AVR, that's powerful enough.
If you own many CDs - a 100$ blueray player connected digitally. If you don't small PC or Mac.

Last edited by marquee-moon; 06-29-2014 at 04:52 AM.
post #20 of 49 Old 06-29-2014, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

I know this completely shifts gears on everything. But I've decided I may have to have a plan B. Due to not having an extra room or enough space for a new system.
Also I think I might save myself some money and add/upgrade to my current system. I currently have:

Marantz sr 5007 ( av receiver)
Def tech bp7006's
clr 2002 center channel speaker
Polk psw110 subwoofer
Sony BDP S790 blu ray player.

I thought about maybe getting a new set of fronts , new subwoofer, maybe add a power amp.

I thought it might make a huge difference in my music listening sessions if I got a better set of speakers that play music better than my def techs.

My main interest is music, but I do enjoy watching the occasional blu ray.
post #21 of 49 Old 06-29-2014, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

I know this completely shifts gears on everything. But I've decided I may have to have a plan B. Due to not having enough space for a new system and the fact that I currently own a decent AVR.
Also I think I might save myself some money and add/upgrade to my current system. I currently have:

Marantz sr 5007 ( av receiver)
Def tech bp7006's
clr 2002 center channel speaker
Polk psw110 subwoofer
Sony BDP S790 blu ray player.

I thought about maybe getting a new set of fronts , new subwoofer, maybe add a power amp.

I thought it might make a huge difference in my music listening sessions if I got a better set of speakers that play music better than my def techs.

My main interest is music, but I do enjoy watching the occasional blu ray.
post #22 of 49 Old 06-29-2014, 10:14 AM

Your AVR is more than adequate.
You won't hear any difference by swapping it with stereo amplifier or by adding additional amplifer. On the top of that your AVR has several important features that a typical stereo amp doesn't possess.

Your player is also fine. In a proper blind test, you won't find a difference between it and a 2000$ player.

If you listen to stereo music, just upgrade your front speakers and maybe the subwoofer. That's all you need. Don't believe to audiophile marketing myths.
post #23 of 49 Old 06-29-2014, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Ive had my deftechs for over ten years now and thought it be time for an upgrade.

I would be willing to buy the matching center channel too if I got some new fronts.

I'm interested in Salk, PSB and any others I think might out perform my deftechs as far as music goes.
post #24 of 49 Old 06-29-2014, 10:25 AM

I'vent listened to Salk speakers. PSBs are usually very good choice. At your budget I'll definitely try Focal, Dynaudio and ATCs.
eljr likes this.
post #25 of 49 Old 06-29-2014, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

So my receiver should be fine with speakers that have an impendance of 4 ohms.
post #26 of 49 Old 06-29-2014, 10:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
So my receiver should be fine with speakers that have an impendance of 4 ohms.
Yes.
eljr likes this.
post #27 of 49 Old 06-29-2014, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marquee-moon View Post
I'vent listened to Salk speakers. PSBs are usually very good choice. At your budget I'll definitely try Focal, Dynaudio and ATCs.
Which Salk speakers did you hear? How did they sound. I was interested in the super charged song towers as well as the psb imagine T2's.
post #28 of 49 Old 06-29-2014, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post
Yes.
Great!
post #29 of 49 Old 06-29-2014, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

I've heard good things about rythmik subs as well as hsu subs.
post #30 of 49 Old 06-29-2014, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marquee-moon View Post
Whoops, I think I misread your post. You haven't listened to Salk speakers.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page