Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-04-2014, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Medium sized office monitors/speakers

I am moving into my new office next week and want to get a set of monitors/speakers for my desk.

Something above PC speakers. I was looking at the Behringer B1031A's and one comment I read on Amazon is that they are not room filling speakers.

My new office is approx 9x15. My desk will be on the 9' wall at one end.

I have two choices. Put them on my desk which is at the far end of the room pointed towards the back wall or mount them next to a TV on the opposite side of the room facing out to the entire room.

Are monitors more for near field? I like the monitors because they are powered but is that too big of a room for them?

Will be used 90 percent for low-mid volume music listening. The TV is going in my office for presentation and afternoon baseball games.

After reading on monitors my concern was that they would not fill the room or sound hollow at a distance.

What would everyone recommend at say a $600 budget? The B1031As are cheaper than that but I was going to get a DAC too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-04-2014, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_Connelly View Post
I am moving into my new office next week and want to get a set of monitors/speakers for my desk.

Something above PC speakers. I was looking at the Behringer B1031A's and one comment I read on Amazon is that they are not room filling speakers.

My new office is approx 9x15. My desk will be on the 9' wall at one end.

I have two choices. Put them on my desk which is at the far end of the room pointed towards the back wall or mount them next to a TV on the opposite side of the room facing out to the entire room.

Are monitors more for near field? I like the monitors because they are powered but is that too big of a room for them?

Will be used 90 percent for low-mid volume music listening. The TV is going in my office for presentation and afternoon baseball games.

After reading on monitors my concern was that they would not fill the room or sound hollow at a distance.

What would everyone recommend at say a $600 budget? The B1031As are cheaper than that but I was going to get a DAC too.

I recommend the Audioengine A2 speakers, with a subwoofer. IMO they will sound better than the Behringers, which I find less than satisfactory in sound quality.

Almost all powered speakers are too small to have any bass, but for the volume level you describe the Audioengine speakers will do the job just fine.

I use the Sony SA-W2500 subwoofer, which Amazon has for around $100, with my A2 speakers connected to the audio out jack of my computer.

It works fine in my room, which is almost as large as yours, at anything but very high volumes.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-04-2014, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks.

My concern with less expensive subwoofers is they tend to be boomy and not good for music. Is the small Sony a tight sub?
post #4 of 11 Old 07-04-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 349
I would be inclined to go with the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SEs (on sale for $298) and a budget subwoofer in the $300 range (check out the budget subwoofers thread in the subwoofers forum here on AVS) provided you have a receiver or integrated amp available. If not, take a look at the Emotiva Airmotiv 5S powered monitors for $499.

"Guns for show, knives for a pro..."
post #5 of 11 Old 07-04-2014, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 1299
fwiw, take a look at the kef x300a's at accessories4less $499 free ship. sorry still can't use my link icon from thissite along with others or I would of left web site posted for you

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #6 of 11 Old 07-04-2014, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Thanks.

My concern with less expensive subwoofers is they tend to be boomy and not good for music. Is the small Sony a tight sub?

Mine is pretty good as long as you don't push it too hard. It works fine because I never go real loud.

For my main audio system I have an NHT subwoofer, which IMO is one of the very best.

I have the NHT B12D, which runs $800, with my Vandersteen Treo speakers in that system.

The B10D is $600 I think. That would be nice for you if you want to go that high.

The thing is that there really aren't many that aren't a bit boomy or subject to various resonances for under $500.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-04-2014, 02:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher50 View Post
fwiw, take a look at the kef x300a's at accessories4less $499 free ship. sorry still can't use my link icon from thissite along with others or I would of left web site posted for you
Here you go
http://www.accessories4less.com/inde...&x=-627&y=-192
smasher50 likes this.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #8 of 11 Old 07-05-2014, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher50 View Post
Those look like they may be the winner.

I have a set of KEF's in our bedroom up on the wall that I really like and I was looking at the 700R's for our main room.

Not having to buy a DAC and the USB connection are a big plus for me.

I'll give these a shot and see how they do.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-11-2014, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The x300a's showed up yesterday and finally got to unbox them.

Plugged them in real quick in the kitchen and into my Macbook. Mac picked them up right away via USB and I played a few tracks.

I had some 24/96 2 channel stuff I just bought from HD Tracks and tried a few.

Spacing was entirely wrong, room was entirely wrong but they sounded great the little I played with them.

Next week I'll get them in my office and break them in.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-04-2014, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Finally moved in and got them setup.

Fantastic speakers. Amazing clarity and pretty warm.

My only complaint is volume control. The step from one level to the next is pretty big, you can control via Windows but they recommend full volume on the PC then adjust with the speakers.
post #11 of 11 Old 08-08-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 767
Quote:
My only complaint is volume control. The step from one level to the next is pretty big, you can control via Windows but they recommend full volume on the PC then adjust with the speakers.
That might be to support audiophiles worried about losing bits with digital volume reduction. I have never discovered whether or not there is truth to that, but I have learned that if all of your content is 16 bit, and you reseat Windows to change everything to 24 bit, then you could lose word length in the audio digital signal and it will not matter.

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Reply 2 Channel Audio
Gear in this thread - SA-W2500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page