Am I missing something, about to purchase. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-06-2014, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Am I missing something, about to purchase.

I'm trying to put together a new stereo system and things have become infinitely more complex than they were 10 years ago it seems. I've just been given 2 large Cabasse speakers, rated for 100w @ 8 ohms for this stereo, so that's what I'm starting with. I have no plans to buy or incorporate additional speakers for surround sound. My main interest are playing music in one room while doing things in other rooms (cooking, studying, etc). My wife and I do watch the occasional movie, probably 1 a month. Currently our system for video is to stream content into our Mac Mini which is wired directly to our LG (1080p) TV. For the audio portion we also use the Mac Mini with the analog out running to a small class T amp and two bookshelf speakers. I know that I want a network receiver, as controlling music from the iphone/ipad is ideal for us. What I'm not sure about is if there is any advantage, whatsoever, of buying an AV receiver if we
1. have no plans to set up surround sound
2. stream video content through mac mini (mini dvi port to hdmi adaptor) to tv, and occasionally play a dvd
3. can use optical out on mac mini to new receiver for movie sound
4. would use network capabilities of new receiver for music listening

I feel like the Yamaha R-N500 fits the bill exactly for my needs, but am I missing something? Is there some video advantage of the AV receivers that I'm not taking into account? It seems like if I stream HD content from Netflix, Apple, Amazon then as long as my connection is fast enough, my picture quality is as good as it could be with the signal going straight out to the tV and no AV would benefit me quality wise, is this correct thinking?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Rguil15; 07-06-2014 at 09:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-07-2014, 05:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rguil15 View Post
My wife and I do watch the occasional movie, probably 1 a month. Currently our system for video is to stream content into our Mac Mini which is wired directly to our LG (1080p) TV. For the audio portion we also use the Mac Mini with the analog out running to a small class T amp and two bookshelf speakers. I know that I want a network receiver, as controlling music from the iphone/ipad is ideal for us.

What I'm not sure about is if there is any advantage, whatsoever, of buying an AV receiver if we:

2. stream video content through mac mini (mini dvi port to hdmi adaptor) to tv, and occasionally play a dvd

I feel like the Yamaha R-N500 fits the bill exactly for my needs, but am I missing something? Is there some video advantage of the AV receivers that I'm not taking into account? It seems like if I stream HD content from Netflix, Apple, Amazon then as long as my connection is fast enough, my picture quality is as good as it could be with the signal going straight out to the tV and no AV would benefit me quality wise, is this correct thinking?
The advantage of AVRs over stereo receivers is more for less due to the economies of higher volume production of AVRs.

An AVR can be easily programmed to be a stereo receiver but not vice versa.

I suspect that if you look over the range of AVRs that are available to you, you have a lot more choice with the AVRs.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-12-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rguil15 View Post
I'm trying to put together a new stereo system and things have become infinitely more complex than they were 10 years ago it seems. I've just been given 2 large Cabasse speakers, rated for 100w @ 8 ohms for this stereo, so that's what I'm starting with. I have no plans to buy or incorporate additional speakers for surround sound. My main interest are playing music in one room while doing things in other rooms (cooking, studying, etc). My wife and I do watch the occasional movie, probably 1 a month. Currently our system for video is to stream content into our Mac Mini which is wired directly to our LG (1080p) TV. For the audio portion we also use the Mac Mini with the analog out running to a small class T amp and two bookshelf speakers. I know that I want a network receiver, as controlling music from the iphone/ipad is ideal for us. What I'm not sure about is if there is any advantage, whatsoever, of buying an AV receiver if we

Thanks for the help.

It seems to me that all you need is a better-quality amplifier with the capability to drive the new speakers.

Most of the less-expensive AVR's, such as the Yamaha you mentioned, do not have the kind of amplifiers and power supply required to provide adequate drive current to them.

It would be helpful. in recommending an amplifier, if you would provide the exact model of speaker and its sensitivity and impedance.

I am sure the Cabasse website has this information.

One amplifier that I can recommend is the Music Hall 15.3 amplifier, which is $550. It will drive most speakers well, and is a bargain at that price.

Whatever you do, please ignore the power ratings of AVRs completely, because they are ridiculously inflated and ignore distortion levels when real speakers are attached; they are BS.

For $90, you can buy the GraceDigital Solo, which is an excellent tuner for internet radio listening, with 20K stations preprogrammed, and outputs to go any amplifier. For audio listening, you will find it far more convenient than using the computer. With it you don't need the computer or monitor turned on; just the amplifier and speakers.

I use it, and it works well with my high quality audio system.

Last edited by commsysman; 07-12-2014 at 10:31 AM.
post #4 of 4 Old 07-12-2014, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 51
The NAD 356 BEE is also worth looking into. Cabasse speakers do drop down to 4ohms. The NAD is 4 ohm stable. Which speaker model do you have???
Reply 2-Channel Audio
Gear in this thread - (1080p) by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page