Forum Jump: 

Old 07-12-2014, 02:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Yarland FV-34A-V

Hi,

Does anyone know a way to bypass the internal preamp on the Yarland FV-34A-V integrated amp? There are no preamp in or main in on this amp. Only CD, AUX and Line inputs and 1 line output.

The previous version MK4 had a toggle to bypass internal preamp. I don't understand why this feature got removed on latest version. Seems like a step backward.

Thanks,
ckc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2014, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckc527 View Post
Hi,

Does anyone know a way to bypass the internal preamp on the Yarland FV-34A-V integrated amp? There are no preamp in or main in on this amp. Only CD, AUX and Line inputs and 1 line output.

The previous version MK4 had a toggle to bypass internal preamp. I don't understand why this feature got removed on latest version. Seems like a step backward.

Thanks,
ckc

The three line inputs ARE preamp inputs.

It sounds as if you just want to use it as a power amplifier only.

In that case, will some source device be used to control the volume?

In any case, just using the AUX input and setting the volume to the appropriate level should work.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 671
I looked at some sample schematics for it - you could easily bypass the volume control, but I doubt you'd want to bypass the input stage of the amplifier.

I'll be back later...

links::: 1.5RQ > digits > 1177a > OpenDRC-DI > DEQ2496 > DAC2 > KCT > FPB 350mcx > reQuest > Sweetspot
Old 07-12-2014, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post
The three line inputs ARE preamp inputs.

It sounds as if you just want to use it as a power amplifier only.

In that case, will some source device be used to control the volume?

In any case, just using the AUX input and setting the volume to the appropriate level should work.
Sorry I must have used wrong term regarding preamp in.

I am using Mytek Stereo192 DSD DAC > Decware CSP3 Preamp > Yarland FV-34A-V

I want to use the Yarland just for power amp so trying to find a way to bypass the internal preamp.

The CSP3 has volume control.

So using AUX input should bypass the internal preamp?

Thanks,
ckc
Old 07-12-2014, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

This is probably close to what you have.

Can you see what to modify?

If not, set the volume control to a suitable position, use the volume from the other unit, and be happy.

I'll be back later...

links::: 1.5RQ > digits > 1177a > OpenDRC-DI > DEQ2496 > DAC2 > KCT > FPB 350mcx > reQuest > Sweetspot
Old 07-12-2014, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayDunzl View Post
This is probably close to what you have.

Can you see what to modify?

If not, set the volume control to a suitable position, use the volume from the other unit, and be happy.
I don't mind having to adjust the volume on both side. My main concern is the signal going through two preamps, hence I want to bypass the internal preamp on the Yarland if possible.

Thanks,
ckc
Old 07-23-2014, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I looked at some sample schematics for it - you could easily bypass the volume control, but I doubt you'd want to bypass the input stage of the amplifier.
Hi Ray,

For clarification, if I bypass volume control, does that also bypass the internal preamp and input stage?

Thanks
ckc
Old 07-23-2014, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

The only "preamp" I see here is the volume potentiometer.

You can eliminate that.

That's all.

If you take what you think is the preamp section out, you are left with something like this:

Do you have balanced drive - inverted and non-inverted, at the proper voltage swings to apply to the output tubes?

Probably no.

Leave it alone if you don't know what you are doing.

Set the volume of the Yarland to an appropriate level to work with the input from the other preamp and be happy.
Use the other preamp for volume control.

I'll be back later...

Old 07-23-2014, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The only "preamp" I see here is the volume potentiometer.

You can eliminate that.

That's all.

If you take what you think is the preamp section out, you are left with something like this:

Do you have balanced drive - inverted and non-inverted, at the proper voltage swings to apply to the output tubes?

Probably no.

Leave it alone if you don't know what you are doing.

Set the volume of the Yarland to an appropriate level to work with the input from the other preamp and be happy.
Use the other preamp for volume control.
Hi Ray,

To be honest, I have no idea how to read that schematic nor have the skills to perform any DIY work on this amp. I was just trying to understand what mod is needed so I can ask a local shop to make the required changes and allow me to use this Yarland just for power amp and bypassing the integrated preamp as I already have a nice tube pre. Perhaps not worth the trouble from what you are saying.

Thanks,
ckc
Old 07-23-2014, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

You keep referring to "the preamp stage" in the Yarland, and how you want to get rid of it.

The way I see it, there isn't one.

There is a passive attenuation device at the input, the volume knob, it's a variable resistor.

After that is a buffer that also provides the inverse of the input signal for the output section.

It's a power amp with a variable input knob. There's no "preamp" to disable, other than that knob, and the input selector switch.

"In a home audio system, the term 'preamplifier' may sometimes be used to describe equipment which merely switches between different line level sources and applies a volume control, so that no actual amplification may be involved."

I'll be back later...

Old 07-24-2014, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You keep referring to "the preamp stage" in the Yarland, and how you want to get rid of it.

The way I see it, there isn't one.

There is a passive attenuation device at the input, the volume knob, it's a variable resistor.

After that is a buffer that also provides the inverse of the input signal for the output section.

It's a power amp with a variable input knob. There's no "preamp" to disable, other than that knob, and the input selector switch.

"In a home audio system, the term 'preamplifier' may sometimes be used to describe equipment which merely switches between different line level sources and applies a volume control, so that no actual amplification may be involved."
The Yarland FV-34A-V is an integrated amp so it does have internal preamp. It uses two 12AX7 tubes for signal and two 5670 tubes for input. I'm guessing the 12AX7 are for the preamp stage?

The schematic you reference in earlier post is a different model amp.

Let me see if I can get Yarland to share the FV-34A-V schematic with me so we know for sure.

Thanks
ckc

Last edited by ckc527; 07-24-2014 at 12:29 AM.