Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dragboatdad

post #1 of 13 Old 07-13-2014, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 57
My stereo system has finally reached my level of excellence.

For years, I've only been able to enjoy my system briefly before I found issues, and wanted to upgrade, generally my speakers. I've had quite a few speakers, nothing super high end, but reasonably respected speakers like JBL L80t's, DCM Time Windows, and Time Window 3's (I still have the DCM's) Boston A150's (first series), Boston T830's, Infinity IL40's and IL10's, and a number of others, but I was never left satisfied for very long. I do have 2 pair of Pioneer BS22's, and those are excellent budget speakers, and in fact I used them as mains for a while, but the upgrade bug hung around, but they are still used in my computer setup, and bedroom system, and I remain impressed by them.

Fast forward to about a month ago, I decided to purchase JBL Studio 530's after the little Pioneers showed me I didn't need a floor stander to get enough volume in my room. In a nuthshell, the JBL's are the best speakers I've owned or still own without a doubt, excellent tonal balance, dynamics and imaging. They just flat out work in my room, which is primarily for 2 channel music, but also doubles as my home theater. I highly recommend the JBL Studio 5 series line, as they are an incredible bargain for the price, and even beyond.

Anyway, while the JBL's sounded excellent, I had some serious bass issues in my room, even after using 3 subs to try and tame it. It was a lot better than a single sub, but still, I found myself constantly fiddling with the subwoofer level control, almost from song to song, and the bass could be very low at the listening position on some songs, but super loud in another room. Other times the bass was overwhelming on other songs.

I knew something needed to be done. A few weeks ago I ordered a Minidsp 2x4, a Unimik-1, and downloaded REW. I've measured, and redid the subwoofers three times, each time thinking of a better way to measure, and I think I've got it the best yet so far. Light years ahead of prior to the Minidsp. I live in an old home with wood floors and very solid sheet rock walls, and all 3 subs had a ridiculous 32db peak at about 33hz, along with various other smaller peaks and dips. After using REW and the Minidsp, it has transformed my system to a whole new level. The bass is very accurate now, and it even cleaned up the JBL's to an even higher degree of focus even though the JBL's remained untouched by the EQ, because the peaks and dips from the subs aren't distracting from the vocals. Best $200 I've ever spent, with by far the largest overall improvement. I know many here know about the Minidsp and REW, but it really is magical.

Sorry for the overly long post.

For the record though, my system comprises of a Pioneer VSX-1121-K as a preamp and DAC for 2 channel (it powers the center channel and surrounds for HT), a B&K EX-442 Sonata power amplifier, a Little Bear P1 hybrid buffer, JBL Studio 530 mains, a Velodyne CT-10 sub, and two Polk Audio PSW10 subwoofers, the source is a laptop connected via HDMI playing mostly Flac or 320k mp3. The bass is so good now thanks to the Minidsp and REW, that even these fairly cheap subs sound excellent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-14-2014, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Cool!
Have you tried any higher resolution sources?
I would imagine that the better sources will really sound great.

Enjoy
post #3 of 13 Old 07-14-2014, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

I haven't. Flac is the best I have, well next to straight off of CD, but I rarely play CD's any more since it's much more convenient to have all of my music on a computer. I will say though, for a while I was using Google Play, and even though they claim to stream at 320k, 320k mp3's straight from my laptop are clearly superior, and of course Flac is, so I quit using it. I've been slowly replacing any songs I really like in mp3 to Flac, but I have a long way to go still.

I'm not very familiar with higher res audio to be honest.
post #4 of 13 Old 07-14-2014, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 366
You need better bass. I used to have a Velodyne 10 back in 2001.

http://www.parts-express.com/tc-soun...oofer--293-666

^^^ But 16 subs... Whole 'nother Level

"If Bad Sound Were Fatal, Audio Would Be the Leading Cause of Death."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 13 Old 07-14-2014, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post
You need better bass. I used to have a Velodyne 10 back in 2001.

http://www.parts-express.com/tc-soun...oofer--293-666

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJq0NDSXH9Y
^^^ But 16 subs... Whole 'nother Level
Oh there is better stuff out there for sure, but the Minidsp plus REW can almost create magic. I'm actually completely satisfied with the bass response I'm getting even using what I'm using. One day I'll probably need to upgrade, but honestly, it sounds so good that I haven't felt any pressing need. Smooth bass response is more important to me than the absolute deepest bass, but it may be my music preferences that make this possible.
post #6 of 13 Old 07-15-2014, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89grand View Post
For years, I've only been able to enjoy my system briefly before I found issues, and wanted to upgrade, generally my speakers.
I've had my speakers since February 1998 and haven't been lusting since.

Upstream upgrades just made them better.

IMHO, of course.

I'll be back later...

> digits >
>
>
>
and
>
post #7 of 13 Old 07-16-2014, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89grand View Post
Oh there is better stuff out there for sure, but the Minidsp plus REW can almost create magic. I'm actually completely satisfied with the bass response I'm getting even using what I'm using. One day I'll probably need to upgrade, but honestly, it sounds so good that I haven't felt any pressing need. Smooth bass response is more important to me than the absolute deepest bass, but it may be my music preferences that make this possible.
Good for you man, not all of us have unlimited budgets. I can relate to your excitement and satisfaction. I too have always been chasing good reproduction out of my system. I'm finally at a point in my life where I can spend a little more on equipment. I have velodyne subs also. Bass is an area that has always been important to me, but I couldn't justify parting with the necessary funds to satisfy my needs. I have an older hgs12 that I bought and immediately had to replace the driver at an expense of $670. I also recently bought new a sc125o amp with 2 sc 15's from velodyne on ebay. Now, after quite some time, they are all broken in and sound amazing to me.
My main 2 channel speakers are what are so incredibly great sounding. I'm using near field Bookshelf passive monitors from a very small company called Barbetta manufacturing. My son spent a lot of money trying to out do my mains on b and w, def tech etc but nothing comes close. The problem is, they are not in production any more and unattainable.
Anyways, Congratulations and I will look into your room correction solution.
Thanks , Tom
89grand likes this.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-18-2014, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 144
"High res" is pointless with minidsp it is 48 khz. miniDSP is awesome though, EQ is definitely a must-have in this day and age. Doesn't matter how good the speakers are, all rooms will cause problems.

post #9 of 13 Old 07-22-2014, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Here's mine. New mcintosh mc-601 monoblocks. Pair of b&w n801c speakers. Arcam fmj cd23t. Shunyata: Hydra 6, two hydra 2's with their ac cords. Bryston sp-1, used as an analog pre-amp. Nordost frey speaker cables, heimdall i/c's. Two (2), 20 amp dedicated ac outlets, with two, 20 amp breakers in box. No subs. Not needed. The sound i love. Too much $$
post #10 of 13 Old 07-22-2014, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Be careful!

Also, do not forget the room! The mc-601's are new. Finally i have the amplifiers i have been looking for! Been fricken around since 2002. Bought, returned, auditioned about a dozen pair of speakers. 7-8 amplifiers, wires, too many. Money wasted??? Lots. Bragging? No. Didn't know what i know now. Be careful
post #11 of 13 Old 07-23-2014, 04:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yes,bought and immediately had to replace the driver at an expense of $670. I also recently bought new a sc125o amp with 2 sc 15's from velodyne on ebay. Now, after quite some time, they are all broken in and sound amazing to me.
post #12 of 13 Old 08-05-2014, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Congratulations!

The harder we work to achieve our goals, the more satisfying the victory is!
post #13 of 13 Old 08-12-2014, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayDunzl View Post
I've had my speakers since February 1998 and haven't been lusting since.

Upstream upgrades just made them better.

IMHO, of course.

Ditto. Got mine in '02 and haven't looked back since. They give me everything I want to hear and Audyssey MultEQ XT makes certain of the SQ in my untreated room.

Every upgrade in source, pre-amping and power has extended their life. Frankly, I can't imagine pulling them out and replacing them. I do keep abreast of what's out there as certainly there is not only better but also better in ways not available in '02, often for comparatively less money, inflation aside. The GoldenEar Tritons serve as fitting exemplars IMHO, even down to the Sevens. But then that's the magic of this hobby. The ear wants what it wants.

Have all that you want ... just want what you have.

Last edited by ClarkeBar; 08-12-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Reply 2 Channel Audio

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page