Turntable advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-23-2014, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Turntable advice

Around 15 years ago I decided to get a turntable. I ended up buying a used Rotel 850. The guy I bought it from was getting out of vinyl and threw in all of his turntable stuff (a couple of rubber mats, a couple of cartridges, cartridge alignment tool, force gauge and some brushes). A few years latter I started a home theater using my computer as a pre-amp and the turntable started to get very dusty. A few years ago I tried playing my albums. The first few hours were great, then the table started slowing down. I replaced the belt, but that wasn't the problem. I talked to a local hifi repair shop (they sold restored turntables). After I described the problem. the restorer said that he worked on a Rotel with the same issue and it was a pain to fix and it would be cheaper to get another table.

This summer started looking for a turntable again. I ended up getting a pro-ject debut carbon. I took out my box of turntable stuff out those cartridges were a Sukimo Blue point and a Grado Silver. I don't think there are many hours on them (the silver was installed on the Rotel and sounded good).

So my question:
Are the cartridges and the turntable worth anything?

Thanks,

Dwayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2014, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The Sumiko Blue Point would definitely be worth keeping and installing on your new table. what are you using for phono pre ?
Old 07-25-2014, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 167
As I understand it, the issue is the weight of the cartridge and if it is too heavy for the very nice Carbon arm that the Project has. I have the same turntable, and have really been pleased with it, a typical AVR phono section won't do it any favours though.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4life View Post
As I understand it, the issue is the weight of the cartridge and if it is too heavy for the very nice Carbon arm that the Project has. I have the same turntable, and have really been pleased with it, a typical AVR phono section won't do it any favours though.
I don't think there will be a compliance issue with the Sumiko

to the best of my knowledge most modern AVR's don't even have a phono-pre built in ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement