How much difference of 24 ohm vs. 64 ohm makes on a portable CD player - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-25-2014, 03:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How much difference of 24 ohm vs. 64 ohm makes on a portable CD player

I am thinking of get a new headphone, natural wood construction. My current headphone is 24 ohm, a Sony MDR-V900.

I have also use the Sony MDR-V600, which is 45 ohm, on the same portable CD player.

In either case, I can't tell a difference in sound quality. But people did tell me that the lower the impedance, the better it is for the battery to push good CD sound quality.

The current headphone I have in mind is 64 ohm. Would a regular portable CD player or Hi MD player be able to push good Cd quality sound on a head phone of 64 ohm ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-26-2014, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
The lower the impedance the longer the battery life because you do not have to turn the volume up as loud for the same output.
Lower impedance will sometimes introduce hiss on quite passages depending on the quality of the player and source.
The higher the impedance over 100ohm the need for better voltage swing from the player or amp.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-31-2014, 09:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech View Post
The lower the impedance the longer the battery life because you do not have to turn the volume up as loud for the same output.
Lower impedance will sometimes introduce hiss on quite passages depending on the quality of the player and source.
The higher the impedance over 100ohm the need for better voltage swing from the player or amp.
That's not entirely accurate. Headphones vary in sensitivity. So a sensitive 64 ohm headphone might use less power than a less sensitive 32 ohm headphone.

However, you could always pick up a FiiO E11 headphone amp to use with your CD player. That would drive most headphones to very loud volumes.

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #4 of 6 Old 08-01-2014, 05:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 1162
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy hopping View Post
I am thinking of get a new headphone, natural wood construction. My current headphone is 24 ohm, a Sony MDR-V900.

I have also use the Sony MDR-V600, which is 45 ohm, on the same portable CD player.

In either case, I can't tell a difference in sound quality.
Hold that thought.

Quote:
But people did tell me that the lower the impedance, the better it is for the battery to push good CD sound quality.
People say the darndest things, many guided by what they heard who knows where from who knows who? Other comments are based on what is intuitively clear, but a lot of electronics isn't intuitively clear, which is why we have engineers.

Quote:
The current headphone I have in mind is 64 ohm. Would a regular portable CD player or Hi MD player be able to push good Cd quality sound on a head phone of 64 ohm ?
There isn't that much difference between the two impedances you mention. Other relevant parameters such as over-all efficiency could be far more important, as others have already pointed out.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-02-2014, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post
Hold that thought.

People say the darndest things, many guided by what they heard who knows where from who knows who? Other comments are based on what is intuitively clear, but a lot of electronics isn't intuitively clear, which is why we have engineers.

There isn't that much difference between the two impedances you mention. Other relevant parameters such as over-all efficiency could be far more important, as others have already pointed out.
when I first post that question, because my headphone has hissing sound, I assume it's dying, and that it's 10 yr. old, so I have my eyes on a Ultrason Signature Pro or an Audio technica ESW-9a.

In the end, when I went to sony to do a A-B test between my 10 yr. old MDR-V900 vs. their brand name MDR-1RNC, I can't tell the difference in sound quality, and when the same song (LPCM) is tested by the sony salesman, he also said there is hardly any difference.

So in the end, I only have to replace the headphone jack, and no longer need to worry what a higher impedance can do.

thanks every1 for your input
post #6 of 6 Old 08-02-2014, 01:11 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I think it will have a pretty big effect. I have 50 ohm headphones that I use with new walkman cd player and to get a strong full sound I have to turn it up almost all the way with older cd's that are not super loud. Just get an amp if you feel the need to. I get great SQ when I plug the walkman into an outlet big difference with batteries.
Reply 2 Channel Audio
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page