Waffling on integrated or base level separates - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-25-2014, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Waffling on integrated or base level separates

I posted recently having NEARLY decided to go with the Peachtree Audio Decco65 integrated to drive a stereo system with my Paradigm Studio 10s fed by Apple TV to optical and computer to USB. These two inputs will satisfy all my needs with this system for the foreseeable future.

Expense must be less than $1000 (not including speakers).

Having read too much, I now am back to thinking about an entry level separate system which would allow me to play (aka spend) as I get more cash to dispose. In particular, I am convinced that, for my power needs with the Studio 10s, an Emotiva A-100 or a used older amp will cover me perfectly fine. This leaves me with a decent amount to spend on a basic DAC, and there are many DACs that I could use as a preamp by themselves. See Cambridge Audio DACmagic 100, NAD D1050.

I know reasonable minds differ, but my guess is my set-up will not see an audible difference between the Decco65 and the above baby-separate system. The issue is therefore cost/aesthetics.

Am I missing anything on that analysis? Anything I should be thinking about beyond what I have indicated? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2014, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

I should add that my next step (future) will be a decent set of headphones (looking at you, Oppos P2s). It would be nice for this new system to anticipate that purchase.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaelstromR View Post
I posted recently having NEARLY decided to go with the Peachtree Audio Decco65 integrated to drive a stereo system with my Paradigm Studio 10s fed by Apple TV to optical and computer to USB. These two inputs will satisfy all my needs with this system for the foreseeable future.

Having read too much, I now am back to thinking about an entry level separate system which would allow me to play (aka spend) as I get more cash to dispose. In particular, I am convinced that, for my power needs with the Studio 10s, an Emotiva A-100 or a used older amp will cover me perfectly fine. This leaves me with a decent amount to spend on a basic DAC, and there are many DACs that I could use as a preamp by themselves. See Cambridge Audio DACmagic 100, NAD D1050.

I know reasonable minds differ, but my guess is my set-up will not see an audible difference between the Decco65 and the above baby-separate system. The issue is therefore cost/aesthetics.

Am I missing anything on that analysis? Anything I should be thinking about beyond what I have indicated? Thanks in advance.

I recommend the Music Hall 15.3 integrated amplifier, which is very good, and is only $549.

It has plenty of power for those relatively sensitive speakers and is exceptionally good-sounding for under $1000.

The Audioengine D1 DAC is one you might consider.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaelstromR View Post

You could start out by determining your actual power needs for quality sound. Interested?
Old 07-27-2014, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post
You could start out by determining your actual power needs for quality sound. Interested?
Well, as I noted above, I had already decided the Decco65 was enough power, and that is in part based on the speakers I will be using, the Studio 10s. This is based in part on 10k's advice here: Peachtree Audio.

"The paradigm's have a sensitivity of 89db ( http://www.paradigm.com/products-cur...100/page=specs ), so the decco65 is probably enough. According to this calculator ( http://www.crownaudio.com/elect-pwr-req.htm ) you could get 94db out of 57watts from a 3m listening distance with 3db headroom. The Nova125's 125watts would get you just over 97db in the same conditions, which probably wouldn't be very noticeable.

For speakers with sensitivity in the 86-87db range you probably would definitely want the nova125 instead of the decco65."

So, unless you see a problem with his advice, I think I'm ok in the Decco 65 range of power.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 2214
fwiw, look at the outlaw audio rr2150 receiver http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2150.html

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
Old 07-27-2014, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks all. I appreciate the comments on the integrated front, but my purpose here was to discuss a simple amp/DAC preamp set-up as an alternative to the Peachtree. If I'm going to go integrated, I'm going to get the Decco65 at the refurbished $599 offered by Peachtree itself. Seems like a pretty unbeatable deal. I have looked at the Outlaw (would need separate DAC anyway, don't need receiver element and not a huge fan of the look), the Music Fidelity (need separate DAC), NAD 3XX series (not as well reviewed as Decco, more expensive to get the newer DAC on board), and so on.

On the other hand, IF my original assumption was correct, and basically any amp in the lower power stereo Emotiva A-100 class or similar used would provide me plenty of power and quality at ~$200-300, then it might be more interesting and fun to spend $400-600 on a separate DAC as a preamp and start a basic separate system from there. Question was whether there are concerns with that (vs. an integrated like the Decco65) that I should be thinking of other than the obvious aesthetics/convenience.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Depends on if you plan on upgrading those separates in the future. If not, the Decco seems to be a great choice. Only concern would be obsolescence... though I highly doubt USB or optical inputs will be changing in the next 10 years...
Old 08-13-2014, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Just FYI the Emotiva XDA-2 is on sale for $219, paired with an XPA-2 you would have a nice matching system for under $700, and would also have no concerns about power.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
Old 08-13-2014, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I ended up going a totally different route.

I got a really great deal on a new Yamaha A-S300 integrated amp, which for the money (~$270) was impossible to turn down. I will be ordering the Peachtree DAC unit (very close call with Emotiva, but the Emotiva is just so big.) For now this will have my Studio 10's running nicely and was a very cheap entry into 2.0 sound. I'm going to evaluate the Yamaha over the next few months and see if it is sufficient - but I think for the Studio 10's it will be. Next step will be thinking about a nice pair of headphones, which will inevitably lead to looking for a better headphone amp.

No doubt my wife just got a cold chill from the loss of money-yet-to-come.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Right,this will have my Studio 10's running nicely and was a very cheap entry into 2.0 sound. I'm going to evaluate the Yamaha over the next few months and see if it is sufficient - but I think for the Studio 10's it will[IMG]http://*******/ndijjj[/IMG] be.