Capital Audiofest 2014 Show Report - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 24Likes

post #31 of 54 Old 07-28-2014, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I enjoyed the show this weekend. It was my 3rd year coming, and it was noteworthy in that the "big names" that were there previously are not returning. That said there was a lot of interesting new things to see.

I was very impressed by Sjofn Hifi and their full range "The Clue" speaker that sounded fantastic at $1K a pair. Also kudos to them for their relaxed room and presentation style. I would have no reservation recommending these to friends in the market for speakers.

I also second the previous post about Vanatoo and their well engineered Transparent One powered speakers. They are a very good deal at just over $500/pair and I think they would be excellent for small rooms and desktop applications.

Odyssey rooms were fun as always and the new complete system at $2200.00 was quite impressive.
imagic likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 54 Old 07-28-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 209
One has to wonder if there are now too many shows of this type and if not, whether they are just too close together in the calender year and need to be spread out more. The big boys are more likely to head to CES, Axpona, The Show and Munich. It will be interesting to see who shows and who doesn't in Brooklyn.
post #33 of 54 Old 07-28-2014, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked: 2261
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip View Post
One has to wonder if there are now too many shows of this type and if not, whether they are just too close together in the calender year and need to be spread out more. The big boys are more likely to head to CES, Axpona, The Show and Munich. It will be interesting to see who shows and who doesn't in Brooklyn.
New York has a lot more audio press than DC. That alone guarantees more big names will show up. Of course, the simple fact that it is New York City helps with the general attendance. I thought last year's NY show was a level above the Capital Audiofest 2014.

I'm pretty familiar with the Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge, it's a good facility.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #34 of 54 Old 07-28-2014, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

There are certainly more exhibitors with names more known to the high end like Revel, Vandersteen, Transparent, Audio Research and the like at the New York show. I have been to several NY shows. Bigger crowds makes it harder to see it all.
post #35 of 54 Old 07-28-2014, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Nice pictures, they look real. I was planning on going, but really nothing there really applies to me other than the Crown Nice stuff though.
I did skip a bunch of smaller, much more affordable speakers—many of which sounded great. On the other hand, the world is full of smaller, much more affordable speakers that sound great. It's the mega systems that make these shows the spectacles that they are.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #36 of 54 Old 07-28-2014, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I remember the Sjofn Hifi room very well. That was the second time I have heard those speakers. I thought that they had nice bass but sounded a bit congested. The people from Seattle that had the room very very hospitable. The only room where they offered you a shot of Kentucky Burbon. Nice touch. I am sure that after a few of those, the sound got better and better!
post #37 of 54 Old 07-29-2014, 02:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Great review Mark. I'm sorry that I missed this year's Audiofest because I went to the 2013 show and signed up to receive an E-Mail update on the 2014 event so that I could plan to visit it. There were a few of the familiar brands at last year's show, including SVS and Legacy, but it seems like they were missing at this year's event.But I agree with you that a lot of the gear at the show is esoteric in nature and just a wee bit overpriced!
imagic likes this.

Cal68
post #38 of 54 Old 07-29-2014, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Supertweeters

The supertweeters were indeed disconnected after one was damaged and shorted. These supertweeters kick in at around 16 khz and go all the way up to 50khz. They do help the sound a lot but mainly in the midrange.
Now the driver under it goes up to 18 khz and still has a response well into 20 khz. Many other speakers use this as their sole response frequency.
The main problem in the room was a bass node that created a huge resonance in the back of the room. With a separate bass module we can tame even that, but it took us a little while longer and burned the tweeter. It also forced us to change the turntable vibration control system a couple of times.
By the start of the show, the bass was controlled, if not perfect, it had a reasonable response in the listening position. By Saturday the system was sounding good, and all it was missing was a little air in the highs, which is still ever so important.
This is a very big and complicated system and will not be travelling to a lot of shows.
We do have a room set up in New Jersey that sounds as it should.
Please contact us if you would like to have a listen.

Thank you for your interest in our speakers.

Sadurni Acoustics

PS: When the reviewer showed up the supertweeters were still working. All other reviewers were informed of the problem after it happened.
post #39 of 54 Old 07-29-2014, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadurni View Post
The supertweeters were indeed disconnected after one was damaged and shorted. These supertweeters kick in at around 16 khz and go all the way up to 50khz. They do help the sound a lot but mainly in the midrange.
Now the driver under it goes up to 18 khz and still has a response well into 20 khz. Many other speakers use this as their sole response frequency.
The main problem in the room was a bass node that created a huge resonance in the back of the room. With a separate bass module we can tame even that, but it took us a little while longer and burned the tweeter. It also forced us to change the turntable vibration control system a couple of times.
By the start of the show, the bass was controlled, if not perfect, it had a reasonable response in the listening position. By Saturday the system was sounding good, and all it was missing was a little air in the highs, which is still ever so important.
This is a very big and complicated system and will not be travelling to a lot of shows.
We do have a room set up in New Jersey that sounds as it should.
Please contact us if you would like to have a listen.

Thank you for your interest in our speakers.

Sadurni Acoustics

PS: When the reviewer showed up the supertweeters were still working. All other reviewers were informed of the problem after it happened.

New Jersey? I'm definitely interested in a proper audition. I'm in Philly.
ua100k and Sadurni like this.

post #40 of 54 Old 07-29-2014, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Excellent write up. I found this very entertaining and informative. I really appreciate the time spent to provide this to us, I hope to see more, especially at CEDIA.
post #41 of 54 Old 07-30-2014, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I've been to both the NYC and DC area shows, and you really cannot compare the two.
The NYC area has to be one of the largest markets,in the country,for anything electronic,including high end audio ,and video. It's the biggest media market in the world,so by that very fact,the audio shows there are sure to get the bigger,and more popular,brands on display.
The DC area is smaller, and so attracts more of a local market.
Now,after attending most of the Capitalaudio Fest shows over the years,and being a local resident,and not knowing how the attendance
was,and if any profit was made from the show,I offer a couple of suggestions for,hopefully,future shows.
1) Spread the word..advertise more in the Northern Va, DC, and MD
areas. The show was like a well kept secret. Don't advertise to the "believers", but try and expand to new customers who are not too familiar with audio.
2) Get local retailers involved with their own displays( think Sound by Singer,Lyric HiFi,in NYC) such as JS Audio,Gramophone,Magnolia
3) Get some of the indie records stores to sell at the show. Places like Trax on Wax,Record and Tape Traders etc.
Perhaps with some of these ideas,it may generate more attendance,which might mean,more profit,and more Capitalaudio Fest shows
Cal68 likes this.
post #42 of 54 Old 07-31-2014, 02:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDDAVID View Post
I've been to both the NYC and DC area shows, and you really cannot compare the two.
The NYC area has to be one of the largest markets,in the country,for anything electronic,including high end audio ,and video. It's the biggest media market in the world,so by that very fact,the audio shows there are sure to get the bigger,and more popular,brands on display.
The DC area is smaller, and so attracts more of a local market.
Now,after attending most of the Capitalaudio Fest shows over the years,and being a local resident,and not knowing how the attendance
was,and if any profit was made from the show,I offer a couple of suggestions for,hopefully,future shows.
1) Spread the word..advertise more in the Northern Va, DC, and MD
areas. The show was like a well kept secret. Don't advertise to the "believers", but try and expand to new customers who are not too familiar with audio.
2) Get local retailers involved with their own displays( think Sound by Singer,Lyric HiFi,in NYC) such as JS Audio,Gramophone,Magnolia
3) Get some of the indie records stores to sell at the show. Places like Trax on Wax,Record and Tape Traders etc.
Perhaps with some of these ideas,it may generate more attendance,which might mean,more profit,and more Capitalaudio Fest shows
I agree with what you say. They need to advertise it more in the local area if they want to draw more crowds. I signed up at last year show to receive an E-mail update for this year's show and they never sent me a message.

Cal68
post #43 of 54 Old 07-31-2014, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 291
"Only $20 entrance fee for the entire weekend!"

Maybe that's part of the attendance dilemma.

I'll be back later...

> digits >
>
>
>
and
>
post #44 of 54 Old 07-31-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I guess they have to make it at least $50 to attract more people. The more expensive the better, right?
post #45 of 54 Old 07-31-2014, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Are any members planning to attend the NY show in September? I posted a question in another forum (Area Meets) but didn't get any replies. I will be there Saturday, if anyone wants to meet up..

post #46 of 54 Old 07-31-2014, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Writer @ AVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 View Post
Are any members planning to attend the NY show in September? I posted a question in another forum (Area Meets) but didn't get any replies. I will be there Saturday, if anyone wants to meet up..
I will be at the NY show and definitely would like to meet up.
post #47 of 54 Old 07-31-2014, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I will be at the NY show and was thinking of going on Friday.
post #48 of 54 Old 07-31-2014, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Mark: met you and Scott in NYC a few years ago at the Rare Bar & Grill. The rooftop was so crowded, we couldn't get up there.. As we get closer, I'll send u a PM.
Matt

post #49 of 54 Old 08-01-2014, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I live in the area and have been the past two years. I wasn't particularly impressed last year and didn't have a huge urge to go this year. Turns out I was right. Not only were there less attendees, bit there were less vendors. Especially sad when there are a handful of good shops in the area that carry a range of brands - LED, B&W, Paradigm, Monitor Audio, etc.

Sure there were some good takeaways, but I doubt I'll go back.
post #50 of 54 Old 08-07-2014, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Essentially. the show generally underwhelmed me. As a non audiophile with somewhat less than $50-$100k to spend on home speakers, I found myself in the smaller, more affordable speaker rooms most of time. Much of my time was spent in the room w/the more affordable Salk and Philharmonic Audio speakers.

I especially enjoyed the Salk Exotica speakers, but even they were too rich for blood. Dennis Murphy's speaker line, for much less money, really stole my attention. The $165/pr. Affordable Audio Loudspeakers were absolutely amazing for the money. However, the Philharmonic Slim Jr's. stole my heart for just $2k/pair w/their gorgeous cherry cabinets and huge soundstage and flat response--so I bought them. Living in the area, Dennis Murphy himself came to my home and installed and balanced them. I couldn't be happier w/these fabulous speakers. Certainly glad I decided to go to the show!

Last edited by prestonrich; 08-07-2014 at 09:18 PM.
post #51 of 54 Old 08-08-2014, 04:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by prestonrich View Post

... the Philharmonic Slim Jr's. stole my heart for just $2k/pair ... huge soundstage and flat response ... Dennis Murphy himself came to my home and installed and balanced them....
That's how a show date should work.

What did the new speakers replace?

I'll be back later...

> digits >
>
>
>
and
>
post #52 of 54 Old 08-08-2014, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 18
They replaced a pair of Bose 601 floorstanders that I bought in 1982! Dennis actually got them fixed for me so they can now last another 30 years.

BTW those 601's are the best speakers ever to come out of Bose--including the 901's so highly touted by professional musicians.

Yes, I bought the Philharmonic Slim Jr's anyway--they're that good! I put them in another room. Having been to CAF 2014 and having heard speakers in the $10k and up range (per speaker), I can easily tell you that (IMHO) these Philharmonic Audio Slim Jr's easily compare w/those speakers.

I'm using an SVS sb-1000 sealed sub w/my new Slims in that new room (I already had that sub), but the Slim's rarely need or use that sub. The sub only cuts in with some jazz played on bass or w/organ works or some cello solos. The difference is marginal.

Dennis made me a very happy guy 😃

Last edited by prestonrich; 08-08-2014 at 08:16 AM.
post #53 of 54 Old 08-20-2014, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for the great writeup Imagic.

Nice to hear reviews about stuff we cant get a chance to see.

Wondering if you had any further thoughts on the hawthorne/core audio room.

Your views (sounds like glass shards) seem to differ than some others who heard the room. Is bright the best term you could use to represent it, or was there more you can say about it?

What day did you see the room, earlier in the event or later?

Thanks for any additional information from you or others who heard the room at the show.

Thanks again.
jhughy2010 likes this.
post #54 of 54 Old 08-21-2014, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Love your thoughts concerning the Apogee speakers, I still remember my introduction to a pair of these amazing speakers, they were, at the time (late 80s I believe), heads and shoulders superior to anything else I'd auditioned. I heard the pair in a high end store on the west side of Madison, WI., they had them pointing into their store front which was all glass. I remember I kept turning around to see if there were speakers behind me, but of course it was just the reflected sound off of the glass.

Jay

Heavily addicted SACDBA member, starting the twelve steps tomorrow!
Jay
Reply 2 Channel Audio

Tags
frontpage

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page