• 1 Post By smasher50
  • 1 Post By cel4145

Old 07-27-2014, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need advice for small audio system

I need advice on a good sounding but inexpensive all in one system for a young teens room. Hopefully will have hookup for an Ipod as well.
Price range $200 - $400
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2014, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 165
What sort of music interests this young teen?

I'll be back later...

equitech 1.5RQ -> various digital sources > benchmark > krell pre and monoblocks > reQuest
Old 07-28-2014, 04:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 983
fwiw, for that kind of budget you could get a better sound with separate components than a all in one system. if space is available. and can also be used for tv usage also.

denon avr e200 $109 http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

camridge audio s-30 speakers $199 http://www.accessories4less.com/make...ark-oak/1.html

Samsung blu ray player $68 will play audio cd's as well as dvds for movie watching http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-...uId=1308074588

just another option

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
Old 07-28-2014, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter

The usual pop music, mostly used for FM and an Ipad. Our FM reception isn't the greatest either, Even with my Yamaha Home receiver there's only certain stations I can get. I was going to go the separate route as well, but If I make it too good I'll probably drive myself right out of the house !
Old 07-29-2014, 02:26 AM

Ok, so the "pro audio" kit with 1000w and 15s road cabinets and iPaod Dock I had priced out at $410 is probably not a good idea.

I'll be back later...

equitech 1.5RQ -> various digital sources > benchmark > krell pre and monoblocks > reQuest
Old 07-29-2014, 06:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 1070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsmooth View Post
I need advice on a good sounding but inexpensive all in one system for a young teens room. Hopefully will have hookup for an Ipod as well.
Price range $200 - $400
The good sounding but inexpensive all-in-one system is IME mission impossible.

General recipe:

Low end refurb AVR. the Denon E200 recommended in another post looks good.

Smaller speakers from the Infinity Primus or Pioneer "Famous Maker" linies. I'm thinking P143-P163 from Primus or

Digital - player - BD player from a mainstream manufacturer (Samsung, LG, Panasonic, Sony) that has a network feature.

Throw in an inexpensive HDMI LCD display or presume on a LCD that is part of the computer in the same room and you've got true A/V
Old 07-29-2014, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

Don't need a CD player or LCD unit, and I said good sounding, not high end.Some of you must have heard an all in one unit that sounds pretty good on the lower end of the price scale.
Coming here for advice has got to be better than going the star rating system at Amazon, doesn't it ?
Lets put it this way I listen to Paradigm atoms at home on my system with a Yamaha AV receiver and a Dayton sub. I'd like to upgrade to an HSU Sub at some point, but what I have is good enough for now.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 307
I would grab a pair of these Yamaha NS-6490 speakers, they will play loud and the 8" woofer will offer decent bass in a bedroom.

Add to that a stereo receiver like this Sherwood RX-4109. It has a pretty robust amp and is a good budget option. It will drive those Yamaha's well, and you can buy a 3.5mm to RCA cable to hook up an iPod/Phone/Tablet/etc.

Grab some speaker wire and you will be set! For about $250 you have a nice little stereo system to play music on. You can also get those speakers factory refurbished for a little bit less.

Living Room
Samsung PN60F5300 | Denon DBP-1611 | Roku 3
Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12

Computer
Topping TP23 | NHT SuperZero 2.0 | Velodyne DEQ-8R
Old 07-29-2014, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 140
OP, I feel your frustration. Geez, guys, he asked about an inexpensive all-in-one system for a young teen. Nearly everyone is suggesting separates. Young teen. All-in-one.

OP, in your case, I truly suspect the Amazon rating system is more responsive to your needs. I suspect you are looking for something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MHCEC919i...+stereo+system ($168)

or this:

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-CMTSBT100...V31FBKWD0TJTHS($198)

or this:

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-MCR-232...V31FBKWD0TJTHS ($300)

or this:

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-D-M39S-1.../ref=pd_cp_e_2 ($399)

I have no experience with any of these, but I think they are in the ballpark of what you are looking for. Good luck with your search.

Last edited by Will2007; 07-29-2014 at 08:11 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Will2007, thats more what I had in mind, just hoping someone had a bit of experience by listening to them, but at least there more what I was considering.Although I really appreciate the more pure sound the others probably have, simplicity at least in this case is more what I was looking for.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Will2007, thats more what I had in mind, just hoping someone had a bit of experience by listening to them, but at least there more what I was considering.Although I really appreciate the more pure sound the others probably have, simplicity at least in this case is more what I was looking for.
There is no difference in simplicity between one of those boom box type systems, and anything that has been mentioned before. Both require you to take a speaker wire and plug it into the receiver, and both have a power cable. You could even replace the stereo receiver I linked with a full featured AVR like the Denon AVR-E200 ($109 @ www.accessories4less.com) and have the ability to expand in the future. This would give you HDMI inputs so you could incorporate things like a game system or media streamer.

My point is you are buying yourself into a corner because those systems are marketed as being "all-in-one".

Living Room

Computer
Old 07-29-2014, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

You guys are just missing the point entirely, and I thought I was pretty clear about what was needed.I could hook up a fantastic sounding system that had all sorts of flexibility, and probably do it fairly cheaply.
Theres one important thing, the room thats its going in is directly over my living room.
So needless to say I don't really want it TOO good, but a good FM tuner would help quite a bit.
By simplicity I meant for the user, not hooking it up, although If the print gets much smaller in most instructions, I'm going to need a microscope !
Old 07-29-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You guys are just missing the point entirely, and I thought I was pretty clear about what was needed.I could hook up a fantastic sounding system that had all sorts of flexibility, and probably do it fairly cheaply.
Theres one important thing, the room thats its going in is directly over my living room.
So needless to say I don't really want it TOO good, but a good FM tuner would help quite a bit.
By simplicity I meant for the user, not hooking it up, although If the print gets much smaller in most instructions, I'm going to need a microscope !
A pair of Pioneer BS22 would be a good option then, I just hate to see you spend the same money for less sound quality. And most teenagers are pretty savy when it comes to remotes

Living Room

Computer
Old 07-29-2014, 06:48 PM

What does the young teen want?

I'll be back later...

Old 07-29-2014, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
I would grab a pair of these Yamaha NS-6490 speakers, they will play loud and the 8" woofer will offer decent bass in a bedroom.

Add to that a stereo receiver like this Sherwood RX-4109. It has a pretty robust amp and is a good budget option. It will drive those Yamaha's well, and you can buy a 3.5mm to RCA cable to hook up an iPod/Phone/Tablet/etc.

Grab some speaker wire and you will be set! For about $250 you have a nice little stereo system to play music on. You can also get those speakers factory refurbished for a little bit less.
I own a pair of those Yamaha speakers. They play very well for the price. Bass is good and the sound is clear. Connecting it to an inexpensive Sherwood stereo or that Denon X200 is easy to do - and both have FM tuners. What is so difficult about that? And the flexibility down the road is much better than a single box solution. And those speakers are only around $125 shipped.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Old 07-30-2014, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Just get a lower priced receiver with an I-pod connection, many have them, and a pair of Pioneer BS-22's. That's it, and easily done within your budget.

I run a set of those Pioneers in my bedroom setup with just a little 8 watt T-amp and a Samsung tablet as a source and it easily fills that room. I also run a set in my computer room with a more powerful class D amp and two subs.
Old Yesterday, 02:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I'd think she'd be very pleased with the Denon compact system. AVR does have an awful lot of flexibility, however, that's not always a good thing.
Will2007 likes this.
Old Yesterday, 03:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 983
fwiw, just my opinion but I must be missing something as if I had $400 of my hard earned money to spend on audio I would look for the best sound and functionality available no matter what. and an all in one system is not it. its just as simple to plug a pair of better sounding speakers into an avr and an I pod into the front "portable" or aux outlet. but again its not my hard earned money. just my 2 cents
Transmaniacon likes this.

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
Old Yesterday, 08:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 660
You mentioned this was for a young teen's room? Bluetooth is one of the in things with teenagers because they can stream their music wirelessly to the speakers from a tablet, computer, or phone.

And you mentioned a need for FM. Any particular reason for that? Teens are gravitating toward Spotify and Pandora, not FM radio, with their computers, tablets, and phones. So even if your teen listens to FM at the moment, probably not for long.

With this in mind, a Bluetooth speaker set is about as simple as you can get. Check out the Kanto YUMIBLKGL. Also has a stereo input jack so you can hook up an iPad, computer, or phone. If they have a computer across the room from the speakers, a bluetooth transmitter is pretty cheap (under $20).
Will2007 likes this.

Old Yesterday, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 33
This is going to be a bit unconventional, but since FM is important and you said you have poor FM reception in the area, you may want to consider a vintage receiver. I have an old Sansui 2000X (paid under $150 for it), and it has the best FM reception I've seen. Completely blows away my brand new Pioneer AVR in FM reception. Back then (late 70's), FM radio was much more important that it is today, so it makes sense that receivers had good tuners. This little guy even has better reception than a much more expensive Pioneer receiver from the same time period.

You could pair something like that with some small bookshelf speakers, throw an RCA to Stereo Mini cable on the AUX input (for the iPod), and you'll be all set.

I'll be retro-cool looking, have the best FM reception you can get, and play the iPod just fine.

Have a look on eBay. Or PM me, as I was going to be putting mine up there eventually anyway once I move in with my GF.

Panasonic TC-P60ST60, Pioneer SC-1523-K, Oppo BDP-103, Pioneer PL-550 + Cambridge Audio Azur 640P, B&W CM1 (fronts), Athena Point 5 Mk II (center and rears), Hsu VTF-2
----------------------------------------
Sony 34XBR960, Onkyo TX-NR414, Sony PS3, Athena Point 5 Mk II (center and fronts), Wharfedale WH-2 (rears), Polk PSW10
Old Yesterday, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'd go with a portable bluetooth speaker setup myself. Good sound (without being too loud over your living room) and portability if desired. Can stream all the music the teen wants including radio stations locally and around the world. Here's my pick: http://www.amazon.com/foxL-Duet-Port...s=soundmatters
Old Yesterday, 11:13 PM

This?

I'll be back later...

Old Yesterday, 11:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigeast44 View Post
I'd go with a portable bluetooth speaker setup myself. Good sound (without being too loud over your living room) and portability if desired. Can stream all the music the teen wants including radio stations locally and around the world. Here's my pick: http://www.amazon.com/foxL-Duet-Port...s=soundmatters
Have you had a chance to listen to it? I've always wondered how the Fox sounds.

Another option might be one of those bluetooth receiver DACs. There are a bunch of them in the ~$60 range that look interesting, although I have never tried them. Then pair them with whatever powered speakers one wants.

User Tag List