"Mono" CD original recordings rip - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-11-2014, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
"Mono" CD original recordings rip

I'm importing all my CDs into a media server, and boxing up the original media for storage.

In general, I'm using EAC to rip to flac files.

Some content is really mono. A normal audio CD is two channels, period, and one I looked closely at some years ago (an audio book) was simply two identical channels.

I'd like to store such material in 1-channel flac files, not just to save a little room but to allow it to match the right playback profile automatically and otherwise document that it's really mono.

Is there an easy way to tell if a track is really mono? Assuming that both channels are identical, the flac encoder would notice that anyway, doing the interchannel decorrelation. So I wonder if there's an easy way to see "the side channel is DC or very close to it" in the existing flac files, or as a report when using ffmpeg (or whatever's best) to re-encode with the highest compression level.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2014, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Many years ago I experimented with mono digital files of various formats and found that several common media players could not use them. The player you use today may work, but it may limit compatibility if you ever change.
Old 08-14-2014, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

Good point.
With lossless files, I'm not worried about that. I can always re-code them again later, and the current trend with home streaming supports transcoding based on player profile anyway.

I remember recoding some Targa files as PNG, once that had been invented.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Długosz View Post
I'm importing all my CDs into a media server, and boxing up the original media for storage.

In general, I'm using EAC to rip to flac files.

Some content is really mono. A normal audio CD is two channels, period, and one I looked closely at some years ago (an audio book) was simply two identical channels.

I'd like to store such material in 1-channel flac files, not just to save a little room but to allow it to match the right playback profile automatically and otherwise document that it's really mono.

Is there an easy way to tell if a track is really mono? Assuming that both channels are identical, the flac encoder would notice that anyway, doing the interchannel decorrelation. So I wonder if there's an easy way to see "the side channel is DC or very close to it" in the existing flac files, or as a report when using ffmpeg (or whatever's best) to re-encode with the highest compression level.
The tool of choice for this sort of thing is an audio editor such as Audacity. Generally these programs will save audio files in a variety of formats including mono and stereo .wav.

Determining whether a file is truely mono with an audio editor can be done with some of them. You just subtract the 2 channels and see if you get nothing.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

I know I could eyeball it in Audacity. I'm asking if there is a convenient automatic way to spot them.