Binaural - successful recordings thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-13-2014, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thumbs up Binaural 3D - successful recordings thread

I've listened to several binaural 3D samples (with my DIY electrostatic headphones), but only the following two recordings I consider successful -which happen to be short theatrical plays BTW, not music.

I was surprised to find out that other clips of the same company that made #1 weren't as successful, which means binaural is still a black art, not even companies and producers dedicated to binaural have understood all parameters and logic required for proper recording, processing and reproduction. Also, I couldn't find any music recording that stands out as trully successful binaural. -the effect is usually something between binaural and stereo.
I've seen several common-logic mistakes too in recording, like putting the dummy-head on a table, or too low (making all sounds sounding above), or made from a hard material, or at a scale, or with the microphones outside of the ears, without ears, with simplified ears, etc. Even putting a dummy-head on a stand without a body I bet it changes the sound cues a lot.

In sort, my definition of successful binaural is the following:
If you hear the sounds inside your head, or too close, or all above, or back (instead of outside, each at some clearly identified distance and direction), then that's stereo NOT binaural. With a proper binaural you can even tell the height of each source. (There was a nice demo with height cues but I can't find it -too many mediocre ones)

So, if you came across a successful recording under those terms, that really satisfied you, post a link on this thread.

True binaural can only be enjoyed with headphones, so if you have high-quality headphones, those clips will be a special experience for you and your friends. Just remember to listen with your headphones (check L and R marks) in total darkness, with even your screen off and your eyes shut, sitting on a chair. Also, make sure the volume level is adjusted properly, definitely NOT lower than required!

#1. Virtual Barber Shop (4:29")

#2. The interrogation chamber (44.1khz PCM, 8:46" ) http://www18.zippyshare.com/v/42398242/file.html
"This play was recorded with two microphones placed in the ears of a dummy head thus being in binaural 3D sound. By listening to the play with stereo earphones in a quiet room you should get the same sound sensation as if you were actually on the set listening. No additional sound effect were added post recording. It was recorded, with permission, in a dismantled nuclear reactor complex 25 metres underground."
More information (in Swedish): http://medielabbsbloggen.wordpress.c...ation-chamber/

Last edited by SoToS; 08-13-2014 at 10:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2014, 05:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoToS View Post
I've listened to several binaural 3D samples (with my DIY electrostatic headphones), but only the following two recordings I consider successful -which happen to be short theatrical plays BTW, not music.

I was surprised to find out that other clips of the same company that made #1 weren't as successful, which means binaural is still a black art, not even companies and producers dedicated to binaural have understood all parameters and logic required for proper recording, processing and reproduction. Also, I couldn't find any music recording that stands out as trully successful binaural. -the effect is usually something between binaural and stereo.
I've seen several common-logic mistakes too in recording, like putting the dummy-head on a table, or too low (making all sounds sounding above), or made from a hard material, or at a scale, or with the microphones outside of the ears, without ears, with simplified ears, etc. Even putting a dummy-head on a stand without a body I bet it changes the sound cues a lot.

In sort, my definition of successful binaural is the following:
If you hear the sounds inside your head, or too close, or all above, or back (instead of outside, each at some clearly identified distance and direction), then that's stereo NOT binaural. With a proper binaural you can even tell the height of each source. (There was a nice demo with height cues but I can't find it -too many mediocre ones)

So, if you came across a successful recording under those terms, that really satisfied you, post a link on this thread.

True binaural can only be enjoyed with headphones, so if you have high-quality headphones, those clips will be a special experience for you and your friends. Just remember to listen with your headphones (check L and R marks) in total darkness, with even your screen off and your eyes shut, sitting on a chair. Also, make sure the volume level is adjusted properly, definitely NOT lower than required!

#1. Virtual Barber Shop (4:29") https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUDTlvagjJA

#2. The interrogation chamber (44.1khz PCM, 8:46" ) http://www18.zippyshare.com/v/42398242/file.html
"This play was recorded with two microphones placed in the ears of a dummy head thus being in binaural 3D sound. By listening to the play with stereo earphones in a quiet room you should get the same sound sensation as if you were actually on the set listening. No additional sound effect were added post recording. It was recorded, with permission, in a dismantled nuclear reactor complex 25 metres underground."
More information (in Swedish): http://medielabbsbloggen.wordpress.c...ation-chamber/
Hi,
I would be grateful if you could try some of my binaural recordings:
http://www.freesound.org/people/dwareing/
The woodpecker one seems to be the most popular, but maybe not because of its binaural properties..
My 'binaural' recording method is quite different from the usual type of dummy head, and should not be very dependent on the listeners ears being the same as mine. It works for me, but I have not really had any feedback that it works for other people.. David.

Tags
binaural , dummy head , headphones , recordings