Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #1 of 84 Old 01-06-2015, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
avr or stereo receiver? help!

I'm building a stereo set up, I have a pair of Cerwin-Vega xls 215's, I will also be using a crown external amplifier to power them, my question is do I get a stereo receiver or an avr??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 Old 01-06-2015, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Neither. Since you're using an external amp all you need is a preamp. If you go the other route, make sure the receiver has pre outs so you can connect your amp.
post #3 of 84 Old 01-06-2015, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Yea but the receiver would be my pre amp, also I need a receiver to play my music such as a cd player and stuff
post #4 of 84 Old 01-06-2015, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenslade11 View Post
Yea but the receiver would be my pre amp, also I need a receiver to play my music such as a cd player and stuff
AVR with pre-outs...much more cost
Effective than a pre-amp. economies
Of mass production.
post #5 of 84 Old 01-06-2015, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post
AVR with pre-outs...much more cost
Effective than a pre-amp. economies
Of mass production.
ok but avr or stereo receiver? this is strictly gonna be used for stereo setup, so are the features of an avr worth the extra cost over a stereo receiver?
post #6 of 84 Old 01-06-2015, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Just so you understand, a preamp has everything a receiver does except a radio. You can connect a CD player, turntable, even a tuner should you need radio.
post #7 of 84 Old 01-06-2015, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
ok but avr or stereo receiver? this is strictly gonna be used for stereo setup, so are the features of an avr worth the extra cost over a stereo receiver?
IMHO..Yes, many more features and probably
Not much more $$ than a stereo receiver with
Pre-outs. In fact might be less!!
post #8 of 84 Old 01-06-2015, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
ok, lol im so confused..ive been trying to figure this out for the past week and i keep getting told different answers, so i understand that an avr has more "features" but what are they and how will they help my stereo setup?? cause right now im looking at getting the onkyo 8050 stereo receiver which is only like $250 and that has a set of pre outs to power my external power amp, and boom im done and ready, if i went with an avr that has pre outs im looking at like $500+ , so im trying to decide if thats worth it or not
post #9 of 84 Old 01-07-2015, 12:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2813 Post(s)
Liked: 929
The very first answer to your question, post number two, was your perfect answer: A Stereo Preamplifier. /// That's all you need for your setup situation.
post #10 of 84 Old 01-07-2015, 12:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 1142
Quote:
ok, lol im so confused..ive been trying to figure this out for the past week and i keep getting told different answers, so i understand that an avr has more "features" but what are they and how will they help my stereo setup?? cause right now im looking at getting the onkyo 8050 stereo receiver which is only like $250 and that has a set of pre outs to power my external power amp, and boom im done and ready, if i went with an avr that has pre outs im looking at like $500+ , so im trying to decide if thats worth it or not
Of course the avr generally has more features but if you aren't interested in them now or in the future they're not much use, and the pre-outs don't usually come on $250 models. The 8050 even looks like it has bass management so you could even add a sub. Unless you have multi-ch or video device switching aspirations looks like a good solution for your needs

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #11 of 84 Old 01-07-2015, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Just to confuse you further. There is another answer not yet mentioned. Neither.

Instead buy one of those USB audio interfaces. That way you get all the pre amp and connection options of an AVR or receiver but in a much smaller form factor. Plus you can connect your PC, network, tablet and phone (may require adaptor).

The least expensive ones require power from something else, usually a PC and cost from ~$100. Focusrite Scarlet is a good reference to have a look at but there are many alternatives.

If you want one with it's own power supply they are a little more expensive. Have a look at the Focusrite Scarlet 6i6 as an example and see if it might suit you. ~$250. If you have money to invest try the MOTU Audio Express. It comes with a built in DSP, detailed metering and an easy to use, graphical 7 band parametric equaliser available on all inputs, outputs and mix buses from any application. Better bass management than any AVR or receiver. Not cheap though at ~$400.
post #12 of 84 Old 01-07-2015, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the help guys, but im actually considering going with the Marantz NR1403, its an avr but for $399 and it has a set of pre outs, JUST in case i want to add a set of speakers down the road..that MOTU Audio Express does look cool though!
post #13 of 84 Old 01-07-2015, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Liked: 1205
Quote:
ok, lol im so confused..ive been trying to figure this out for the past week and i keep getting told different answers, so i understand that an avr has more "features" but what are they and how will they help my stereo setup??
AVRs generally have a better collection of digital inputs, better speaker management, and automatic system tuning. They also often have features like a built in LAN and Internet music player.

I think that Crown amplifier might be like an albatross. Unless you really like your music loud or have a very large room and sit a goodly distance from your speakers, your relatively efficient CV speakers probably don't need the extra power of your (undisclosed model) Crown amplifier if there is any.
post #14 of 84 Old 01-07-2015, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post
AVRs generally have a better collection of digital inputs, better speaker management, and automatic system tuning. They also often have features like a built in LAN and Internet music player.

I think that Crown amplifier might be like an albatross. Unless you really like your music loud or have a very large room and sit a goodly distance from your speakers, your relatively efficient CV speakers probably don't need the extra power of your (undisclosed model) Crown amplifier if there is any.
The crown I'm getting is the xls 2000, everyone says these speakers are power hungry so that's why I'm getting the external amp, my room size is 30x20, I also feel that the amp will help with power the subs to their potential
post #15 of 84 Old 01-07-2015, 11:53 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 912
Quote:

There is no extra cost. AV receivers cost less. See economies of scale above.
post #16 of 84 Old 01-07-2015, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post
There is no extra cost. AV receivers cost less. See economies of scale above.
It's hard to find a avr under $500 with pre outs thats why I asked if it's worth the extra cost
post #17 of 84 Old 01-07-2015, 01:29 PM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked: 912
Quote:
It's hard to find a avr under $500 with pre outs thats why I asked if it's worth the extra cost

So use the amps in the receiver.
post #18 of 84 Old 01-07-2015, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post
So use the amps in the receiver.
i have a crown external amp...
post #19 of 84 Old 01-07-2015, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The crown I'm getting is the xls 2000, everyone says these speakers are power hungry so that's why I'm getting the external amp, my room size is 30x20, I also feel that the amp will help with power the subs to their potential
Just what are power hungry speakers? And "everyone" is who in particular?

How will the amp help power subs to their potential? You didn't mention any subs before. Usually a sub is active so the only help is that the amp/avr doesn't have to send power to the sub...

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

Last edited by lovinthehd; 01-07-2015 at 02:52 PM.
post #20 of 84 Old 01-07-2015, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Just what are power hungry speakers? And "everyone" is who in particular?

How will the amp help power subs to their potential? You didn't mention any subs before. Usually a sub is active so the only help is that the amp/avr doesn't have to send power to the sub...
I meant the 2 subs that are in the tower, also every one that I see that has these speakers is running a power amp
post #21 of 84 Old 01-07-2015, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I meant the 2 subs that are in the tower, also every one that I see that has these speakers is running a power amp
Ah, those speakers have woofers, not subwoofers; while it shows decent bass specs it drops pretty significantly in the mid 30s, subs go lower. To give you an idea about the spl levels vs power needs I'd suggest you look at an spl calculator. The specs on your speaker indicate a sensitivity of about 95dB so you can get pretty loud without tons of power. Lots of people use power amps that don't really need them, depends on definition of need whether spl based or simply if its what you want to do.
CharlesJ likes this.

post #22 of 84 Old 01-07-2015, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Those speakers are highly sensitive. It's unlikely you need any external amplification. You need a lot of external amplification to make them any louder. Amplification all sounds the same when volume matched, so you likely dont need it.

The Marantz you're looking at is a good option. I've owned one. you'll be surprised how loud it could make those speakers go. I'd try that alone before you bother with spending money on external amplification.
post #23 of 84 Old 01-07-2015, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk View Post

Very true Arny (Happy New Year); and straight preamps have usually better sound quality than AV receivers used as preamps.
And! Stereo receivers and stereo integrated amps usually sound better than AV receivers. ...When used as preamps.

- Your point on more extended "features" (feature loaded) from the AV receivers, plus their internal bass management, is a good one.

* I'm no expert on amps. ...I like Boulder best. ...The very heavy ones, and ultra expensive.

Last edited by NorthSky; 01-07-2015 at 05:31 PM. Reason: very very small typo
post #24 of 84 Old 01-07-2015, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

Have any proof of that?
post #25 of 84 Old 01-07-2015, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Proof of what?
post #26 of 84 Old 01-07-2015, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
straight preamps have usually better sound quality than AV receivers used as preamps.
And! Stereo receivers and stereo integrated amps usually sound better than AV receivers. ...When used as preamps.
That.
post #27 of 84 Old 01-07-2015, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

couple quick questions, the avr's that have "bass management", what is that for and how would it benefit my stereo setup? does the Marantz NR1403 avr have bass management?
post #28 of 84 Old 01-07-2015, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
couple quick questions, the avr's that have "bass management", what is that for and how would it benefit my stereo setup? does the Marantz NR1403 avr have bass management?
Bass management allows management of the bass frequencies and LFE channel info sent to the subwoofers vs the other speakers. Yes, the 1403 has such.

post #29 of 84 Old 01-07-2015, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
^ Why not send the full signal to the sub and let the sub filters for the low freqs?
I think that's what REL recommends of which the results I can attest.
post #30 of 84 Old 01-07-2015, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderkind View Post
^ Why not send the full signal to the sub and let the sub filters for the low freqs?
I think that's what REL recommends of which the results I can attest.
Rel is the only sub company where this comes as a recommendation AFAIK. With a lot of 2ch rigs you have no option in this regard anyways so I imagine they cater to that market. Personally I find their subwoofers quite lacking.

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page