Integrated recommendations w Paradigm - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 6 Old 01-12-2015, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Integrated recommendations w Paradigm

Hey guys, looking for some input. I am moving my MK9 se3's from a home theater setup into a dedicated 2 channel setup in my bedroom. I'm looking at integrated amps and DAC's, but am all over the place on what to get. I know the speakers are rated 15-200 watts at 93 db. My question is, will something like the Marantz PM6004 or 6005 with 45 watts/ch be enough to drive these at high volume for extended periods of time? By high volume, I mean at volumes that would be uncomfortable to stand directly in front of the speakers for longer than a few seconds. They are going in a fairly large room. Well, it's a long room, but only about 15' wide and the ceiling is only about 9 feet high. It's probably 25-30' long. I've read a couple of reviews that said the 6004 would shut off on them at higher volumes, but they didn't mention what speakers they were trying to drive.
I listen to mostly metal (newer stuff, not 80's "metal," so lots of fast double bass drums and electric guitar riffs - KSE, Periphery, After the Burial, Lamb of God etc) and found the Yamaha AVR to be a little harsh w the Paradigms.

I'm looking at units like the
-Onkyo a9050 (75w)
-Yamaha (as500) w an external DAC
-Marantz 6004 (45w) with an external DAC (POSSIBLY the 6005, but for just a little more money I can get a used 6004 and a better external DAC: grant fidelity, arcam etc)
-another option is using the Marantz na7004 as the DAC and preamp and connecting a budget power amp of some kind to it - Onkyo has a 75w power amp on Amazon w good reviews for $300.

Anyway, suggestions? Anyone here have these Paradigms that can make an experienced recommendation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-15-2015, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 81
01svtl-

which brands/models have you auditioned? Your speakers will be easy to drive- question is, how loud do you want to play them?
post #3 of 6 Old 01-17-2015, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01svtL View Post
Hey guys, looking for some input. I am moving my MK9 se3's from a home theater setup into a dedicated 2 channel setup in my bedroom. I'm looking at integrated amps and DAC's, but am all over the place on what to get. I know the speakers are rated 15-200 watts at 93 db. My question is, will something like the Marantz PM6004 or 6005 with 45 watts/ch be enough to drive these at high volume for extended periods of time? By high volume, I mean at volumes that would be uncomfortable to stand directly in front of the speakers for longer than a few seconds. They are going in a fairly large room. Well, it's a long room, but only about 15' wide and the ceiling is only about 9 feet high. It's probably 25-30' long. I've read a couple of reviews that said the 6004 would shut off on them at higher volumes, but they didn't mention what speakers they were trying to drive.
I listen to mostly metal (newer stuff, not 80's "metal," so lots of fast double bass drums and electric guitar riffs - KSE, Periphery, After the Burial, Lamb of God etc) and found the Yamaha AVR to be a little harsh w the Paradigms.

-Onkyo a9050 (75w)
-Marantz 6004 (45w) with an external DAC (POSSIBLY the 6005, but for just a little more money I can get a used 6004 and a better external DAC: grant fidelity, arcam etc)
-another option is using the Marantz na7004 as the DAC and preamp and connecting a budget power amp of some kind to it - Onkyo has a 75w power amp on Amazon w good reviews for $300.

Anyway, suggestions? Anyone here have these Paradigms that can make an experienced recommendation?

To my ears, the sound quality of the Onkyo and Yamaha is totally harsh and unacceptable; I would never recommend them. Marantz is considerably better from my listening experience.

The Music Hall 15.3, however, is an excellent-sounding amplifier for only $549, and it will give you the power you need with speakers rated for 93 db/watt. I recommend it.

The Audioengine D1 DAC is very good, and only $169.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-17-2015, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Here's a link that I found very useful when explaining amplifiers and how they work. It's explained over many posts and requires a bit of reading, but once you go through it all you should understand a lot better what you need for an amplifier.

"it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"
post #5 of 6 Unread Today, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 1920
Quote:
. My question is, will something like the Marantz PM6004 or 6005 with 45 watts/ch be enough to drive these at high volume for extended periods of time?
Not likely.

I have to wonder, at the volumes you describe, if you will be able to stand those speakers at all.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #6 of 6 Unread Today, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:

-Onkyo a9050 (75w)

Get a NAD T758 receiver.

That will drive your speakers much better and sound nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page