Why would HDMI(bitsteam) sound better than analog out - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 15 Old 04-04-2015, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Why would HDMI(bitsteam) sound better than analog out

This pertains to all my stereo listening, redbook,sacd, and just recently I've tried downloading a few HDtrack WAVs (Dream Theater even)! and put the lossless WAV files on USB stick and plug that into my Marantz UD5007 universal player.

So here's my question, using the WAV file USB drive for example... when I do that and keep it via HDMI output(bitstream) to my Marantz SR8002 it sounds much better in many aspects (Says 96K stereo on receiver, so receiving it properly) COMPARED TO when I just use the 2 analog outputs from the Marantz and switch the source of my receiver to the 2 RCA inputs which receive the analog out of player with blue jean cables. Why is this, I figured if anything analog would sound better. I am doing NO extra processing/EQing etc besides Xover at 80hz, but Im noticing better sound especially in clearer and more focused highs/mids with the bitstream output. Can this be due to my receivers DACs are better than universal player too, I thought they would all be roughly the same. Kind of new to all this so Im trying my best to make sense of things but just wondering what you guys think, sorry if it is a dumb question but its really what I hear all placebo effect nonsense aside.

Marantz SR8002 Receiver, Marantz UD5007, Axiom M60Ti, Axiom VP150, Axiom QS8, HSU VTF-2 MK3, Xbox One, Wii U
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-04-2015, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by HsuDreamTheater View Post

I am doing NO extra processing/EQing etc besides Xover at 80hz
Does that apply to Bitstream only, or to both?

I'll be back later...

links::: 1.5RQ > digits > 1177a > OpenDRC-DI > DEQ2496 > DAC2 > KCT > FPB 350mcx > reQuest > Sweetspot
post #3 of 15 Old 04-04-2015, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayDunzl View Post
Does that apply to Bitstream only, or to both?

Bitstream only, I have no management of analog out on my Marantz UD5007, so my Axiom M60s are getting the full spectrum in analog I get that, but like I said its the highs and mids that sound clearer, I would definitely expect if anything the bass to be weaker on analog since my HSU is out of picture...but not the mids/highs to sound worse. You think there's something more going on when the receiver gets the bitstream as opposed to my player decoding?

Marantz SR8002 Receiver, Marantz UD5007, Axiom M60Ti, Axiom VP150, Axiom QS8, HSU VTF-2 MK3, Xbox One, Wii U
post #4 of 15 Old 04-04-2015, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Bitstream only, I have no management of analog out on my Marantz UD5007, so my Axiom M60s are getting the full spectrum in analog I get that, but like I said its the highs and mids that sound clearer, I would definitely expect if anything the bass to be weaker on analog since my HSU is out of picture...but not the mids/highs to sound worse.

You think there's something more going on when the receiver gets the bitstream as opposed to my player decoding?

I'll let someone with more experience with modern AVR and their signal routing take over from here.

Anything more I say would be conjecture or an educated guess at best.

--

But yes, there is 'more going on' in the AVR.

I'll be back later...

links::: 1.5RQ > digits > 1177a > OpenDRC-DI > DEQ2496 > DAC2 > KCT > FPB 350mcx > reQuest > Sweetspot
post #5 of 15 Old 04-04-2015, 11:25 AM

Liked: 20
As you know, by using the HDMI output of UD5007 you are bypassing it's DAC and sending a digital signal, via the HDMI to the DAC in the SR8002 for the digital to analog conversion. It may be better DAC, or at least sound different/better to you. If you like it's sound better, than I would stick with that and be happy.

The lazy man finds the easiest way ... Ben Franklin

Last edited by vzphoneman; 04-04-2015 at 11:40 AM.
post #6 of 15 Old 04-04-2015, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzphoneman View Post
As you know, by using the HDMI output of UD5007 you are bypassing it's DAC and sending a digital signal, via the HDMI to the DAC in the SR8002 for the digital to analog conversion. It may be better DAC, or at least sound different/better to you. If you like it's sound better, than I would stick with that and be happy.
Yea I'm going to stick to that for now, Im just very surprised... figured DACs in midrange or so player/receivers weren't very different, especially since its same company. SR8002 may be older now but I still love it for its brutal pure performance, beat everything out for years with its benchmark tests other companies did, its power was rated conservatively like Rotel. Toroidal power amp and DACs among other internal components are surprisingly good. I feel it just caters to pure audio more so than the video components, which is fine by me.

post #7 of 15 Old 04-04-2015, 04:15 PM

Liked: 20
I could not agree more. I still use my SR 8200 for my computer audio setup. It also has a great DAC and nice clean power. The low end is a real stand out.

The lazy man finds the easiest way ... Ben Franklin
post #8 of 15 Old 04-05-2015, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzphoneman View Post
I could not agree more. I still use my SR 8200 for my computer audio setup. It also has a great DAC and nice clean power. The low end is a real stand out.

Sure is, I just started learning to stream the 96/24 and other WAVs from my comp today to the UD5007 straight to SR8002...love seeing that stereo 96 or stereo 176 light up. Emailed Marantz today asking them what DACs were in there, maybe if Im lucky I'll get an answer for curiosity sake.

post #9 of 15 Old 04-06-2015, 01:11 AM
AVS Special Member

SR 8002 uses the CS4382A

Datasheet

UD5007 uses the PCM1781

datasheet

I'll be back later...

Last edited by RayDunzl; 04-06-2015 at 01:22 AM.
post #10 of 15 Old 04-06-2015, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks a ton Ray, exactly what I was looking for

post #11 of 15 Old 04-11-2015, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Sure is, I just started learning to stream the 96/24 and other WAVs from my comp today to the UD5007 straight to SR8002...love seeing that stereo 96 or stereo 176 light up. Emailed Marantz today asking them what DACs were in there, maybe if Im lucky I'll get an answer for curiosity sake.
Can you tell me how you did this? Currently i can only stream to my Marantz SR7009 when i am wanting to stream it to my UD7007.
post #12 of 15 Old 04-11-2015, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironsurvivor View Post
Can you tell me how you did this? Currently i can only stream to my Marantz SR7009 when i am wanting to stream it to my UD7007.

Sure, I had to go on my new windows 8 computer and turn network music file sharing on, its somewhere under settings network. Once you get that, make sure the Ethernet cable from your network is going going into the UD7007 (I assume yours doesn't have wifi like mine). Once you do that, power it up and on the home screen it will do a DLNA search and you should see your PC recognized...from there its just folder hoping. The other way is to take any HD tracks or lossless files you have and put on a USB (which can only hold a few even with 8 gb stick) and put that it into the front USB port, would have to copy and delete songs each time you want different though so try the streaming and let me know how it goes

post #13 of 15 Old 04-11-2015, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Bitstream only, I have no management of analog out on my Marantz UD5007, so my Axiom M60s are getting the full spectrum in analog I get that, but like I said its the highs and mids that sound clearer, I would definitely expect if anything the bass to be weaker on analog since my HSU is out of picture...but not the mids/highs to sound worse. You think there's something more going on when the receiver gets the bitstream as opposed to my player decoding?

This could be the difference you are hearing. By getting the lower bass off the main speakers, they will sound cleaner and more detailed.

Try bypassing the x-over and play your speakers full range when using the HDMI input and see if it sounds similar to the analog feed then.
post #14 of 15 Old 04-11-2015, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How you explained is what i do as well. What i am wanting to do is control what is being played from my computer or phone. I can do that on my sr7009, but not the ud7007
post #15 of 15 Unread Today, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironsurvivor View Post
How you explained is what i do as well. What i am wanting to do is control what is being played from my computer or phone. I can do that on my sr7009, but not the ud7007
Im sorry Iron I misread, I haven't found out how to do that or if it is possible yet, if I do I shall post here for you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page