Oppo HA-1 or BDP-105 to go with Prima Luna Dialogue HP Integrated? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 04-21-2015, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter
wse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Question Oppo HA-1 or BDP-105 to go with Prima Luna Dialogue HP Integrated?

I have a Prima Luna Dialogue HP integrated

http://www.primaluna-usa.com/product...-series/hp-int

It lacks digital input and am looking at either an OPPO BDP-105 or the HA-1, which one do you think would work best? I want to be able to plug in my laptop using USB

If I decide to get the HA-1 how can I bypass the preamp in the HA-1?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-22-2015, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Home Theater Bypass Mode
Each of the HA-1’s input sources can be individually configured to operate in a Home Theater Bypass mode. If an
input source is in this mode, the HA-1’s volume control is bypassed for the Pre-Amplifier Output. The Pre-Amplifier
Output level will be exactly the same as the input signal level (unity gain).

I'll be back later...

links::: 1.5RQ > digits > 1177a > OpenDRC-DI > DEQ2496 > DAC2 > KCT > FPB 350mcx > reQuest > Sweetspot
post #3 of 21 Old 04-22-2015, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
I have a Prima Luna Dialogue HP integrated

http://www.primaluna-usa.com/product...-series/hp-int

It lacks digital input and am looking at either an OPPO BDP-105 or the HA-1, which one do you think would work best? I want to be able to plug in my laptop using USB

Before looking at your main question, what do you intend to use as your digital input source?

If you already have a digital music source that is in keeping with you Prima Luna quality-wise, and that source can be connected to the HA-1, and you do not want or need a quality universal disc player (the 105) then buy the HA-1.

The Oppo 105 can be both your high-quality digital source, or player, AND your high-quality DAC. The HA-1 as I see it is simply a DAC/Headphone Amp/pre-amp.

If you have a use for a quality blu-ray player and universal disc player (cd, blu-ray, dvd video, dvd audio, sacd etc) then buy the 105.

I do not know enough about the HA-1 to know whether you can bypass its pre-amp stage, or whether even that you may need its preamp stage to feed into your Prima Luna?? You may need to carefully check the output levels of both the HA-1 and the Oppo 105 to see how they match up to the input sensitivy of your Prima Luna. You may need to limit the output volume of either or both of them if their output level is very high to avoid overloading your amp and speakers.
The 105 does have an output volume control, I dont't know how the HA-1 works in this respect.

Maybe sending the specs of both of them to Prima Luna for advice would be a wise move if you are unsure about this aspect.
post #4 of 21 Old 04-22-2015, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
wse

Quote:
Originally Posted by madaudio View Post
Before looking at your main question, what do you intend to use as your digital input source? If you already have a digital music source that is in keeping with you Prima Luna quality-wise, and that source can be connected to the HA-1, and you do not want or need a quality universal disc player (the 105) then buy the HA-1.

The Oppo 105 can be both your high-quality digital source, or player, AND your high-quality DAC. The HA-1 as I see it is simply a DAC/Headphone Amp/pre-amp.

If you have a use for a quality blu-ray player and universal disc player (cd, blu-ray, dvd video, dvd audio, sacd etc) then buy the 105.

I do not know enough about the HA-1 to know whether you can bypass its pre-amp stage, or whether even that you may need its preamp stage to feed into your Prima Luna?? You may need to carefully check the output levels of both the HA-1 and the Oppo 105 to see how they match up to the input sensitivy of your Prima Luna. You may need to limit the output volume of either or both of them if their output level is very high to avoid overloading your amp and speakers.
The 105 does have an output volume control, I dont't know how the HA-1 works in this respect.

Maybe sending the specs of both of them to Prima Luna for advice would be a wise move if you are unsure about this aspect.
My digital music source is my MacBook Pro

Where can I find "the output levels of both the HA-1 and the Oppo 105" to see how they match up to the input sensitivity of the Prima Luna.
post #5 of 21 Old 04-22-2015, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

HA-1

Specification XLR Output RCA Output
Output Level 4.6 ± 0.3 Vrms 2.3 ± 0.3 Vrms

Analog Audio
Characteristics**

Output Level: 2.1 Vrms (RCA) or 4.2 Vrms (XLR) at 0dBFS

I'll be back later...

links::: 1.5RQ > digits > 1177a > OpenDRC-DI > DEQ2496 > DAC2 > KCT > FPB 350mcx > reQuest > Sweetspot
post #6 of 21 Old 04-22-2015, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
wse

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayDunzl View Post
HA-1 Specification XLR Output RCA Output Output Level 4.6 ± 0.3 Vrms 2.3 ± 0.3 Vrms

105 Analog Audio Characteristics** Output Level: 2.1 Vrms (RCA) or 4.2 Vrms (XLR) at 0dBFS
Why does this matters?
post #7 of 21 Old 04-22-2015, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Where can I find "the output levels of both the HA-1 and the Oppo 105" to see how they match up to the input sensitivity of the Prima Luna.

Quote:

HA-1 Specification XLR Output RCA Output Output Level 4.6 ± 0.3 Vrms 2.3 ± 0.3 Vrms

105 Analog Audio Characteristics** Output Level: 2.1 Vrms (RCA) or 4.2 Vrms (XLR) at 0dBFS

Why does this matters?

Huh?

It's what you asked for.

I'll be back later...

Last edited by RayDunzl; 04-22-2015 at 02:38 PM.
post #8 of 21 Old 04-22-2015, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Ha-1

Quote:
My digital music source is my MacBook Pro

I have the HA-1, but it goes directly to a power amp, not an integrated. Since you already have an integrated amp, the Oppo 105 might be a better match-up; you will get more over-all functionality. For the HA-1 specific functions (headphone amp, pre-amp), excluding the DAC itself, which I believe are identical, the HA-1 has slightly better engineering/performance, and a form factor that I liked better. But the performance differences are small/indistinguishable. The HA-1 can decode, as far as I know, all the available audio digital formats, including several flavors of DSD, if that is important. Not sure about the 105.
I also like the color graphical display on the HA-1. The HA-1 pre-amp is a fully balanced design and has balanced outputs (as well as single-ended RCA).

Last edited by clpetersen; 04-22-2015 at 02:41 PM.
post #9 of 21 Old 04-22-2015, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayDunzl View Post
Huh?

It's what you asked for.
Be kind to WSE: Yes that is what he asked for, but if you read the preceding posts he was advised to do that: doesn't mean he understood why.

wse: I am not a techo, others here could advise you better: all I know is that there have been warnings on various threads here that if there is too great a disparity between output levels of the 105 (and presumably the HA-1) compared to whatever amp you plug them into, you could damage either the amp or your speakers.
post #10 of 21 Old 04-22-2015, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Uh, ok... For both of you then:

There's two knobs. The one on the right selects the source.

The one on the left finely adjusts the level of the incoming signal from the source that is allowed to be admitted to the amplifier.

Prima Luna:
Input Sensitivity: 360mV (KT120)
320mV (KT88 & EL34)
Input Impedance: 100k Ohm

A 320-360mv (millivolt, thousandths of a volt) signal will drive it to its rated output. This does not mean the 105 or HA-1 has too much signal output level, just that they have more than enough.

If attaching the 105 or HA-1 for the first time, start off with the left knob turned all the way to the left.

Then, to hear what is being played, carefully rotate it a degree or two in a clockwise direction. Repeat until happier with the result.

I'll be back later...

post #11 of 21 Old 04-28-2015, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Or hook it as above but use high grade audiophile 10dB or 12dB RCA attenuators(or pads) between the Oppo and the Prima Luna. Then you'll have more range with the PL volume control. Without attenuators as described above, your volume range will be extremely limited.

You could try these 10dB pads here at http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co....tenuators.html or use these 12dB pads at http://www.parts-express.com/harriso...-pair--266-244 .

The latter would even better coz they'd allow for greater volume control flexibility from the Prima Luna. You're good to go...

Ideally, you'd need a 15dB pad (20 * Log10 (2.1/0.36) but 12dB should be close enough...

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #12 of 21 Old 04-30-2015, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post
Or hook it as above but use high grade audiophile 10dB or 12dB RCA attenuators(or pads) between the Oppo and the Prima Luna. Then you'll have more range with the PL volume control. Without attenuators as described above, your volume range will be extremely limited.

You could try these 10dB pads here at http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co....tenuators.html or use these 12dB pads at http://www.parts-express.com/harriso...-pair--266-244 .

The latter would even better coz they'd allow for greater volume control flexibility from the Prima Luna. You're good to go...

Ideally, you'd need a 15dB pad (20 * Log10 (2.1/0.36) but 12dB should be close enough...
I used the Harrison attenuators from Parts Express and they worked quite well. Cost was $25 as compared to the Rothwells at $60usd.
post #13 of 21 Old 04-30-2015, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
I used the Harrison attenuators from Parts Express and they worked quite well. Cost was $25 as compared to the Rothwells at $60usd.
I have the similar question HA1 or Oppo 105. Thanks guys for helping me to decide .
post #14 of 21 Old 04-30-2015, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Also, I heard the HA1 at THE Newport show last year on a pair of Senheisser 800. Very enjoyable.
post #15 of 21 Old 04-30-2015, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Liked: 2873
Quote:
Be kind to WSE: Yes that is what he asked for, but if you read the preceding posts he was advised to do that: doesn't mean he understood why.

wse: I am not a techo, others here could advise you better: all I know is that there have been warnings on various threads here that if there is too great a disparity between output levels of the 105 (and presumably the HA-1) compared to whatever amp you plug them into, you could damage either the amp or your speakers.
the HA1 has been part of this discussion?

I am only familiar with the 105 discussions.

???

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #16 of 21 Old 04-30-2015, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter
wse

I asked OPPO and they suggested the 105 since that way I can play shiny discs. In addition they told me the 105 and the HA-1 sound the same

I always put the volume to 0 when I power down taht way no worries and then raise the volume to the desired volume
post #17 of 21 Old 05-02-2015, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
the HA1 has been part of this discussion?

I am only familiar with the 105 discussions.

???
Go back to post 1 and read forward (maybe a cup coffee?? ): the original poster was looking for help in deciding whether to purchase the HA-1 or the 105.
post #18 of 21 Old 05-02-2015, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Liked: 2873
Quote:
Go back to post 1 and read forward (maybe a cup coffee?? ): the original poster was looking for help in deciding whether to purchase the HA-1 or the 105.
this is what I was referring
Quote:
to all I know is that there have been warnings on various threads here that if there is too great a disparity between output levels of the 105 (and presumably the HA-1) compared to whatever amp you plug them into, you could damage either the amp or your speakers.

What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got little save pitiful, portable picnic players. Come with uncle and hear all proper! Hear angel trumpets and devil trombones. You are invited.
post #19 of 21 Old 05-02-2015, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
wse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
Where do you plug them at the amp level or CD player?
post #20 of 21 Old 05-02-2015, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Where do you plug them at the amp level or CD player?
Either end will work, my educated guess thinks amp end would be preferable.

I'll be back later...

post #21 of 21 Old Today, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 589
https://app.audiogon.com/listings/da...-21822-eden-md

Affiliated

#1: Aurender N100>Auralic Vega>Wyred4Sound STP>Merrill Audio THOR>KEF Reference 1s
#2: C.A.P.S.>NuPrime IDA-16>Wyred4Sound mAMPS>ScanSonic MB-1s

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page