Digital 2 channel Dirac system questions - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-30-2015, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Digital 2 channel Dirac system questions

'll be setting several Dirac systems in a home addition over the next year.
One is a 2.2 channel primarily digital system. I'm looking at 2 possibilities.

The first is is a Minidsp DDRC-22DA digital pre-amp DAC with 2 channel Dirac (96/24) feeding 2 Crown XTi 1002 amps. The DSP in the Crown amps will cross over between the 2 channels to a Main speaker and Sub (located in close proximity) and the time delays will align the speaker/sub as a single channel (one amp for each channel). Dirac will see the speaker/sub as one channel.

The second option is similar. A Minidsp DDRC-22D (digital only 2 channel Dirac) will feed an Emotiva Stealth DC-1 DAC preamp which will feed the 2 crown amps.

Has anyone used the DDRC-22DA as a digital preamp? How does the quality of the DAC compare to the DC-1?
The Minidsp uses a digital volume control while Emotiva uses an analog one. Any advantage to one over the other?

Thanks, Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-30-2015, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 718 Post(s)
Liked: 904
I have a DDRC-DI, volume control on it is digital, and not a problem. Volume control on my DAC is digital (for digital inputs) and not a problem. Volume control on my Behringer DEQ2496 is digital, and not a problem.

Digital volume has the advantage of precision between channels, a mechanical potentiometer pair may not track both channels as accurately.

Disadvantage would be at very low levels, but with 24bit volume control, it's not a problem. If my math is right, -48dB (almost silent) only brings a 24bit control down to the resolution level of full 16bit.

From what I can find:

miniDSP uses an ES9023 chip

http://www.esstech.com/PDF/ES9023%20...5%20140722.pdf

Emotiva AD1955

http://www.analog.com/en/products/au...oduct-overview

I'll be back later...

links::: 1.5RQ > digits > 1177a > OpenDRC-DI > DEQ2496 > DAC2 > KCT > FPB 350mcx > reQuest > Sweetspot
post #3 of 7 Old 04-30-2015, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayDunzl View Post
I have a DDRC-DI, volume control on it is digital, and not a problem. Volume control on my DAC is digital (for digital inputs) and not a problem. Volume control on my Behringer DEQ2496 is digital, and not a problem.

Digital volume has the advantage of precision between channels, a mechanical potentiometer pair may not track both channels as accurately.

Disadvantage would be at very low levels, but with 24bit volume control, it's not a problem. If my math is right, -48dB (almost silent) only brings a 24bit control down to the resolution level of full 16bit.

From what I can find:

miniDSP uses an ES9023 chip

http://www.esstech.com/PDF/ES9023%20...5%20140722.pdf

Emotiva AD1955

http://www.analog.com/en/products/au...oduct-overview
Thanks, good to know about the volume controls. I'm not sure I can tell which DAC chip is better from the spec sheets. Do you have any insight on that?
post #4 of 7 Old 04-30-2015, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasalle View Post
Thanks, good to know about the volume controls. I'm not sure I can tell which DAC chip is better from the spec sheets. Do you have any insight on that?
Nope.

My main DAC has ESS 9018. I like it well enough.

All my digits go to it for conversion.

I'll be back later...

links::: 1.5RQ > digits > 1177a > OpenDRC-DI > DEQ2496 > DAC2 > KCT > FPB 350mcx > reQuest > Sweetspot
post #5 of 7 Old Yesterday, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 21
RDNZL, I assume you are running Dirac with your Minidsp. I've been wanting to try the computer version for some time in my 2ch music/ 5.1 TV viewing setup (90% computer music).
Are you happy with Dirac? Any drawbacks that you have found? Is it everything that the reviews say it is? Did it make all the birds sing and rainbows magically appear in the sky !!!

The lazy man finds the easiest way ... Ben Franklin

Last edited by vzphoneman; Yesterday at 02:41 PM.
post #6 of 7 Old Yesterday, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzphoneman View Post
RDNZL, I assume you are running Dirac with your Minidsp. I've been wanting to try the computer version for some time in my 2ch music/ 5.1 TV viewing setup (90% computer music).
Are you happy with Dirac? Any drawbacks that you have found? Is it everything that the reviews say it is? Did it make all the birds sing and rainbows magically appear in the sky !!!
Not using Dirac. Have the OpenDRC-DI which sports digital input and output.

I gave the Dirac trial a chance, where it modifies things played on the PC through its convolver.

Decided I didn't want to spend $600 for it (on top of the price of the OpenDRC-DI) and found that if I did order the version with Dirac, I wouldn't be able to make manual adjustments - wouldn't be able to NOT use Dirac.

The Dirac firmware (my guess) doesn't provide the facilities to download other externally generated filters, or it changes the operation of the device in such a way that generic FIR filters would no longer work. They didn't explain when I asked, except to verify if you get Dirac, that's what you are stuck with, like it or not.

I suppose Dirac is a good automated choice, but I found it a bit expensive and restrictive, so I chose manual.

As far as manual usage of the OpenDRC-DI, no drawbacks, its output is always 24/48, it doesn't have any noticeable defects or quirks, it just works however you set it up.

I've been using rePhase - a manual filter generator - which can modify both phase and frequency response, has a comprehensive set of filter types. Think of an EQ with exact frequency and Q selections for each slider, with choices of filter type for each 'bank' of 17 sliders, and 16 'banks' of sliders - so 272 frequency adjustments, 272 phase adjustments, and a few other more general tools in it.

The filters generated and downloaded to the the miniDSP can be output as text files. You can save presets or entire filter sets in rePhase.

Import a measurement from REW and flail away at tweaking it to be the way you want.

---

I just noticed you got my 'name' right - RDNZL

I'll be back later...

Last edited by RayDunzl; Yesterday at 06:20 PM.
post #7 of 7 Old Today, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I'm a big FZ collector (and fan) .... I couldn't miss RDNZL. I had the pleasure of seeing Frank 5 times ... and now Dweezil, 3 times.

The lazy man finds the easiest way ... Ben Franklin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page