Upgrading from Ortofon 2M Red to.....?? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By vzphoneman

post #1 of 11 Old 05-16-2015, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Upgrading from Ortofon 2M Red to.....??

Hello all,
Ive been more than pleased with the sound of the Red on all of my blues but notice it strains on heavier rock based music so looking for an upgrade. Willing to go around $800 on budget.
Any suggestions from personal experience with a lot of different blues and hard rock listening would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks. -Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-16-2015, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Maybe not what your looking for but I highly recommend the Audio Technica AT440MLA. I'm on my second one and love this cart. Sounds great with jazz and rock (I play both loud) and it's the best tracking cart I've every owned. It's has a nice uncolored, balanced sound. Mine runs through a Cambridge Audio 540P preamp ... also very nice.
DaverJ likes this.

The lazy man finds the easiest way ... Ben Franklin
post #3 of 11 Old 05-16-2015, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 2553
Quote:
Originally Posted by vzphoneman View Post
Maybe not what your looking for but I highly recommend the Audio Technica AT440MLA. I'm on my second one and love this cart. Sounds great with jazz and rock (I play both loud) and it's the best tracking cart I've every owned. It's has a nice uncolored, balanced sound. Mine runs through a Cambridge Audio 540P preamp ... also very nice.
Also running a AT440MLa and very pleased with it. A tad bright out of the box (didn't bother me), but smooths out after broken in. And no IGD! I play mostly rock, some heavy, some soft. Surprised how well it did with classical... need to get some more on vinyl.

Running mine though a Musical Fidelity V90-LPS.
post #4 of 11 Old 05-17-2015, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenTonBass View Post
Hello all,
Ive been more than pleased with the sound of the Red on all of my blues but notice it strains on heavier rock based music so looking for an upgrade. Willing to go around $800 on budget.
Any suggestions from personal experience with a lot of different blues and hard rock listening would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks. -Chris
Dyanavector 10x5 or around the top of your budget the Ortofon 2M Black should give you a step up.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-17-2015, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I am a blues a hard rock fan and have the Clearaudio Virtuoso Ebony Wood cartridge.
Love it.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-17-2015, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
Dyanavector 10x5 or around the top of your budget the Ortofon 2M Black should give you a step up.
+1
post #7 of 11 Old 05-18-2015, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Ortofon quintet Bronze but you need a MC phonostage.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-18-2015, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Hello all,
Thanks. -Chris
What turntable are you using? How did you adjust the overhang and alignment? That makes a huge difference in what it will track.

If you want one great test for alignment, get the Telarc OmniDisc. If you can't find one, get the Telarc recording of the 1812 Overture- it has real cannon and it gives most turntables fits when they fire. Blues and hard rock should be a piece of cake compared with that track. If you find a used one and it's not an extremely clean copy, buy a new one- a less than stellar version isn't a valid test.

You want to go from a $100 cartridge to $800? I would definitely like to know the brand and model of your turntable. This might be a tonearm/cartridge mismatch, too. If the tonearm's mass isn't a good match for the compliance of the cartridge, it won't track properly and some tracks will distort.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-20-2015, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

I have an entry level Denon DP300F. Got the setup as a combo. Im sure you are going to tell me a better turn table is in order first? lol
post #10 of 11 Old 05-20-2015, 10:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
I have an entry level Denon DP300F. Got the setup as a combo. Im sure you are going to tell me a better turn table is in order first? lol
I'm not going to tell you to do anything, but you also could have included the make/model earlier. Rather than assume, I asked. As I wrote, going from a $100 cartridge to an $800 model is major and for a lot of tables, that would be a waste. I'm a Denon dealer and, while I haven't sold any, I have seen nothing bad about that table. A review on the Denon site shows that Needle Doctor sells this with the Ortofon 2M Bronze for $738, so this table would seem to be worthy of that improvement.

I wrote those comments because it's possible that the cartridge needs alignment, not to dump on your turntable or cartridge. A little alignment error will make it mis-track on loud/heavy bass passages.

Curious- what albums cause problems?
post #11 of 11 Old 05-21-2015, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Right on. I've set all the settings of the tone arm to the specs of the cartridge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page